Lotta To Live Up To

Lotta Kim produced a full sister to Rachel Alexandra on Feb. 27, 2011, at Dr. Dede McGehee's Heaven Trees Farm near Lexington, Ky. Photographed on March 12, 2011, the Medaglia d'Oro filly is owned by Dolph Morrison. A decision has not been made on whom Lotta Kim will be bred to this season.

"The mare is a good mom,” said Dr. McGehee. “She’s matured into a fine mother. And the foal is smart, just like Rachel Alexandra was as a foal.”
The filly was born at one a.m. on a Sunday morning and was a normal foaling. The mare and foal go out for two to three hours a day and that increases weekly.

Lotta Kim and her filly now have company in their paddock. Miss Abbott, a 19-year-old mare owned by Dr. McGehee, shares the field with her El Corredor colt. The two mares shared a field before foaling.
“This foal is good size,” said Donnie Barcus, Heaven Trees’ farm manager. “She’s a similar type to Rachel Alexandra,” said Barcus. “She’s tall with long legs. She bucks and kicks and plays hard. She’s very active.”

I will be visiting with Rachel Alexandra on March 25 at Stonestreet Farm and I will be posting my images here at Through the Lens soon after, so be sure to keep your eyes open for those.

I will also post updates to my new Facebook fan page. I hope you enjoy the photos below. I would love to hear your name suggestions for this beautiful new foal. Let's see how creative you guys can get.

Lotta Kim Foal Stall
Lotta Kim watches barn activity while her foal sleeps. Order this Photo.
Fresh Air
Stepping out for some fresh air. Order this Photo.
Paddock Time
Paddock time. Order this Photo.
Run by the barn.
Running by Heaven Tree’s yearling barn. Order this Photo.
Feeling Independent.
Feeling a little independent. Order this Photo.
Slowing the Pace
Time to slow the pace. Order this Photo.
Grazes
Grazing side by side. Order this Photo.
Like My Markings
Check out my facial markings. Order this Photo.
Another Angle
Is this angle better? Order this Photo.
Feeling Good
Feeling good on a pleasant sunny day in Kentucky. Order this Photo.
Another Romp With Mom
Back with mom for another romp. Order this Photo.

I have added a few additional photos to the full slideshow. Click here to view the slideshow.

Fuzzy Corgi

It looks like MDO & Lotta Kim made a carbon copy of RA. Hopefully the new filly will be as impressive as her big sister at the races. I love baby season!!

19 Mar 2011 6:28 PM
LongStoryTB

Beautiful pictures!!!   Look forward to more!

19 Mar 2011 6:28 PM
Lisa in SB

What beautiful photos!  Is there anything as lovely as a foal frolicking?  And she does look just like RA!

19 Mar 2011 6:48 PM
Kim C.

What a lovely filly. MDO sure throw some interesting facial markings !!   As for a name, how about "Rachel's Sister".  I know, I know, not very creative but everyone will know who she is !  lol

19 Mar 2011 6:51 PM
summergames84

What beautiful photos of a beautiful filly! I especially love the photo of grazing side by side.

19 Mar 2011 6:57 PM
Sheepish

I'd love for it to be something Alexandra.  Maybe Kim('s) Alexandra, or something like that.

19 Mar 2011 7:15 PM
Lydia

Love the photos and the headline is great!  Lotta Live Up To indeed.  What a great name for her.

19 Mar 2011 7:31 PM
Alex

I love the pictures. I can't believe how long the fillies legs are. She is so beautiful she looks like her sister. It's so awesome to hear about Rachel Alexandra's family. I can not wait to see pictures of Rachel Alexandra. I'm so excited.

19 Mar 2011 7:35 PM
SuperFillie

She looks great! Her blaze is similar to Rachels! I love hearing about how my girl and her family are doing! I will be following this young lady for sure!

19 Mar 2011 7:41 PM
anna

i disagree about her facial marking looking like rachel's blaze, the big marking looks to be more of a oddly shaped heart over a upside down exclaimation mark

19 Mar 2011 7:48 PM
Airwave

Humm, how about Lotta D'Oro?

19 Mar 2011 7:54 PM
Elizabeth

thank you from Uruguay!!1

name: Lotta Gold

19 Mar 2011 7:56 PM
Zen's Auntie

Awe she is so cute Lotta Kim throwsa LOTTA LEG I love the face too. Thanks for these Anne

19 Mar 2011 8:01 PM
CAM

A darling little filly-- but then again, they all are darling!

How about Raquelle D'Or for a name?  Means "Golden Rachel" in French.  It would keep the Rachel Alexandra theme going, without seeming too trite.

19 Mar 2011 8:01 PM
Stacey

Too cute! Thanks for this. Lil Rache sure does have some loooong legs! She also has a shaved patch on her neck! Did she have to have an IV for something?!

19 Mar 2011 8:12 PM
Rachel Fabrizi

LottaLivNuptod'Oro

19 Mar 2011 8:17 PM
Sheila

Lotta Moxie

19 Mar 2011 8:20 PM
bellesforever

She is just beautiful..how about..Alotamagic?

19 Mar 2011 8:23 PM
tasha0927

My pick would be Lil' Rachel

19 Mar 2011 8:30 PM
taylor

she is beautiful! thanks for sharing! i like Lotta Live Up To as well.

19 Mar 2011 8:51 PM
MRO

Beautiful filly!

19 Mar 2011 9:15 PM
Jenny in MN

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful!!!

Not an expert, but the shaved patch on her neck is probably just from the Vet taking a routine blood sample to check for maternal antibodies in her blood to make sure baby is geeting the needed immunity while nursing from mom. Both look happy and healthy...

19 Mar 2011 9:33 PM
Mike Relva

ANNA

Please!

19 Mar 2011 9:46 PM
Flynne

Thanks so much for these pictures. :) She could be Rachel's twin. :P

Side note: Please, everyone, stop suggesting names. They're all awful.

19 Mar 2011 9:46 PM
I Love Greys

Gorgeous photos exuding such heart and soul of new life!  Love your photographer's eye Anne and look forward to more. I think it would be best to stay away from naming her in Rachel Alexander's shadow...as a full sister she should have the opportunity to stand and race on her own 4 hoofs and achieve her own greatness.  Amazing to think next time this year you'll be posting photos of Rachel A with her new foal!!

19 Mar 2011 9:47 PM
carolyn

I wish I had this little foal. I think they are the cutest little things I have ever seen.

They are just precious. If I lived near or worked around these stables or stables that had these foals in it,  they would just fire me, because I wouldn't get a damn thing done all day.  I would be out in the paddock playing and loving on these foals,  I guess that is until the mare ran me off.....

19 Mar 2011 9:54 PM
robin from michigan

What an adorable foal. Hopefully the full sister of Rachel Alexandra could be more like her big sister.

19 Mar 2011 10:02 PM
carolyn

His facial markings are beautiful.  They look in the shape of a butterfly. I love his facial markings. UNIQUE!!!

19 Mar 2011 10:04 PM
Lmaris

Her markings are far more symmetrical than Rachel's but she looks great.  Would hate to have to grow up in that shadow.  Just hope she's sound and happy.

It is interesting that both Rachel & this filly have more white on their faces than either parent.

19 Mar 2011 10:12 PM
Michelle

She is adorable.  Lotta To Live Up To sounds like a pretty good name to me.

19 Mar 2011 10:28 PM
sherpa

Flynne - people are just having fun with the naming and Anne did invite it.  Personally, I thought Lotta Gold (oro) was pretty darned good.

Great pictures, Anne - some of your best ever! thanks!

19 Mar 2011 11:04 PM
txhorsefan

Oh, Wow!  Anne, thank you so much for sharing these spectacular photos of Lotta Kim's new foal, full sister to the amazing Rachel Alexandra!  She is so beautiful and I love her unique facial marking - pretty distinctive in a way that is very reminiscent of Rachel.  Sighing with peace and happiness that I've seen this beautiful baby through your lens.  Again - thank you!

19 Mar 2011 11:06 PM
Squarky

Does Hal Wiggins have another granddaughter?

19 Mar 2011 11:21 PM
esha

For a name.

Mark A Star

Copyright This

LotToSeeLotToDo

HearTheName

SunnyWinner

Dont Blink

I Was A Dreamer

19 Mar 2011 11:40 PM
Kekira

I've seen some pics of Rachel from when she was a foal and I have to say that this foal looks almost exactly like Rachel physically. The similarity is kind of eerie.

Also great to hear that Lotta Kim is warming up to being a mom. :)

20 Mar 2011 12:02 AM
Mary in VT

Oh my. My, my, my. She is quite lovely. She is so leggy she reminds of a spider. Very much the proportions of her great sister.

I hope they will not use Rachel in the name. There is one, and only one Rachel. This lovely little thing will have to write her own story. Maybe she will run even faster.

I like the name > Lotta d'Oro < honoring both parents and with nothing silly about it. That looks like a name that could put it's stamp on history. And the Horse of the Year for 2014 is ... drum roll .... tatta tatta tatta ... Lotta d'Oro!!! <smile>

Or perhaps Dolph Morrison has another grandchild he would like to honor. That certainly worked quite well for him the first time. And Rachel Alexandra was such a feminine name. Perhaps another proper lady's name?

Hey, those of you who call Jesus King of Kings and Lord of Lords, agree with me on this, will you?

"Thank you Father, first, foremost, and forever for your sweet son Jesus who will always remain our first love. Thank you for this magnificient planet and all the glorious flora and fauna it contains. It's all truly magnificent, Father. Thank you for all the magnificient horses who enrich our lives. Thank you for Rachel Alexandra whose heart, courage, and breathtaking speed left us all dazzled .. and somehow better people just for having witnessed her brand of courage. Bless Rachel with perfect health, long life, and safety in her new career. May she stamp the breed with her own greatness Father, reproducing it again, and again, and again. And tonight Father, we lift up Rachel's special little sister for your blessing because very big things will be expected of her. Breath great strength and stamina into her tiny frame, Father. Make her swift as the very wind with the courage to find the front and stay there no matter what comes at her. And may she never falter, never take a bad step from her first day to her last day throughout her whole long life. In the most perfect name the world has ever heard, the name of Jesus, I pray it."

20 Mar 2011 1:05 AM
Gallopracerfan

She is gorgeous looks very much like big sis! i would name her Lotta Talent.

20 Mar 2011 6:11 AM
Lola

It's so thrilling to see something of true beauty and innocence this morning. Lately, it seems all the news has been so horrific. Viewing these photos of mother and babe moved me to happy tears. Look at the long legs on that adorable foal! My favorite photo? The last one with the foal running with her mom. Thanks for brightening my day!

20 Mar 2011 6:51 AM
Lola

PS: What about a more dignified name such as Kimberly or Megan?

20 Mar 2011 6:54 AM
eightbelles5308

she looks alot like rachel and i love rachel's name it was so classic how about Kimberly Alexander

20 Mar 2011 8:02 AM
racingheart

Oh she is gorgeous! Like Michelle's name for her! Very powerful hind quarters & shoulder..... maybe, just maybe lightning could strike twice!

20 Mar 2011 8:32 AM
Rachel's Not The Only One

Mary in VT.   Are you only going to ask God to bless RA or all the other magnificent mares thats giving birth and carrying foals like RA is this year?   Let's read it like this, it may sound better.

"Thank you Father, first, foremost, and forever for your sweet son Jesus who will always remain our first love. Thank you for this magnificient planet and all the glorious flora and fauna it contains. It's all truly magnificent, Father. Thank you for all the magnificient horses who enrich our lives. Thank you for Rachel Alexandra and all the other fillies and mares whose heart, courage, and breathtaking speed left us all dazzled .. and somehow better people just for having witnessed hers and their brand of courage. Bless Rachel and the others with perfect health, long life, and safety in hers and their new careers. May they stamp the breed with their own greatness Father, reproducing it again, and again, and again. And tonight Father, we lift up Rachel's special little sister for your blessing because very big things will be expected of her. Breath great strength and stamina into her tiny frame, Father. Make her swift as the very wind with the courage to find the front and stay there no matter what comes at her. And may she never falter, never take a bad step from her first day to her last day throughout her whole long life. In the most perfect name the world has ever heard, the name of Jesus, I pray it."

Always Mary, consider all the mares , not just one because every day things go wrong for females that breed every year, Your prayer was great but please don't leave out the others for a blessing, they need our prayers and blessing too.

20 Mar 2011 8:35 AM
Skye

I had read in the past that Rachel was raised by a nursemare. Will this foal stay til weaning time with Lotta? I sure hope so.

Thanks for sharing these beautiful photos with us!!

20 Mar 2011 8:42 AM
manfrommanila

the facial markings kinda look likes rachel alexandra's

20 Mar 2011 8:52 AM
anonnymous

Segue

20 Mar 2011 9:07 AM
LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

Thanks for the wonderful photos!  They are so heartwarming and good for the soul!  Nature never fails to bring these awesome miracles of life.  Wishing the best for this little filly so full of energy & her mama.

Wonder if the filly would like the name, LottaLuv?  Anyway, Love & Blessings to them!

20 Mar 2011 9:35 AM
wendylou

Beautiful pic's! She' a sweetie. For the name how about LottaLorenda.

20 Mar 2011 10:27 AM
Anne Eberhardt Keogh

Some great ideas for names! Now that Lotta Kim has matured and knows her role as a mother she will stay with the foal. I was back on Heaven Trees Farm today for another photo shoot and checked in on the mare and foal. They were grazing with Miss Abbott and her foal and looked happy and relaxed.

20 Mar 2011 11:10 AM
msnap12

I know everyone's said this already, but she is just a gorgeous foal!! :) She has a unique marking that stands out just like Rachel's. Hope she lives to be like big sis! For names I liked the idea of Hal Wiggins honoring another grandchild. If not I like Lotta Live Up To, it's so true about this foal...

20 Mar 2011 11:22 AM
Shelby's Best Pal

Thank you for sharing these beautiful pictures.

20 Mar 2011 11:42 AM
Ragsy

Yes Mary and Rachel both prayers are exceedingly perfect..

Those pictures are awesome thanks..eagerly await more from Rachel..

names:

Samara Alexandra, meaning: Guarded by God, orgin: Hebrew

Raina Alexandra, meaning: A Queen, orgin Polish

Adalia Alexandra, meaning: In God Is My Refuge, orgin Hebrew

Calista Alexandra, meaning: The Most Beautiful One, orgin Greek

20 Mar 2011 11:56 AM
Driftin' Sage

I've Got Heart Too

20 Mar 2011 12:21 PM
Lynne

"throughthelens" Anne E. You rock supplying all these wonderful pictures of mares with their foals. Lotta Kim foal is so adorable.

20 Mar 2011 12:44 PM
Cathy

Theyareafraidofher. {They Are Afraid of Her} Not sure how to separate it for the Jockey Club to accept

20 Mar 2011 12:48 PM
Dani

What a precious little handful. Anne, these photos just make my day. Thanks.

Whole Lotta Love

20 Mar 2011 1:07 PM
smartysgal

Aww, she's cute as a bug!  She does have an interrupted blaze somewhat, just like big sister.  Hope she enjoys romping in the paddock with Mom, who seems to be a very attentive mother.  Love them both!

20 Mar 2011 1:16 PM
ninanina

She is stunning!  I think her facial markings are even more interesting than Rachel's!  Beautiful foal.  Good luck to her and congratulations to Lotta Kim on the birth of such a fine daughter.

20 Mar 2011 1:30 PM
connirichmond@yahoo.comatpix!

That mare marks her foals! Both Rachael and this bueaty have facial markings with broken strips. Funny as the mare only has a plain star. Loveley!

20 Mar 2011 1:44 PM
horseracinglover

Ah foaling season is upon us. I just hope this girl is allowed to write her own story and not live in expectation of her older siblings accomplishments. So very often full siblings are not what everyone wants them to be. Recent history Babaro's brothers. As long as she stays sound and healthy and doesn't eventually end up at a slaughter auction because she did not meet expections all is well. As for names, several good suggestions on blog. What about Kim Said So. Thanks for the pictures.

20 Mar 2011 1:49 PM
Horsefirst

My biggest hope for this filly is that she avoids Jess Jackson and Stonestreet.  He got Rachael, I hope he leaves it at that and doesn't go for a dynasty.

Oh, "Rose Lilly"

Be what you will be, little sister.

20 Mar 2011 1:53 PM
Melissa P

What a lovely filly! Hoping for only good things for her. Tough act to follow, indeed!

20 Mar 2011 2:04 PM
Nancy

Name her " Lotta Rachael " very cute!!

20 Mar 2011 2:11 PM
Nancy

Name her " Lotta Rachael " very cute!!

20 Mar 2011 2:11 PM
Jo Hooker

I love her already.  I think she should be named:Lotta Rachel Renee'

Love Rachel forever!

20 Mar 2011 2:34 PM
newsline2

What pretty extension. Are there pictures of RA as a foal to compare?

20 Mar 2011 2:35 PM
dg

Anne, wishing you well.  And thanking you for your beautiful work.  Mom and baby are a joy to see.

20 Mar 2011 2:49 PM
Sam

She'll be easy to pick out in the field with that face, that's for sure.

I'm thinkin' y'all are missing the obvious name choice here:  Brandy Alexandra B^D

But then, I was kind of hoping Rachael would be bred to Indian Charlie for a colt named Charlie Alexander.

20 Mar 2011 3:25 PM
Cris

Beautiful pictures. As to a name how about Lotta Class. Best wishes to mare a foal may all their days be as happy as they are now.

The patch was probably for the shots and blood tests they get which is normal.

20 Mar 2011 4:24 PM
Donna Melendez from Grayslake, IL

Wow,  gorgeous girl!  good strong bone to her and a butterfly marking are already making her a standout!  I see great things for her!!  cannot wait!

20 Mar 2011 4:37 PM
McFly_88

such a beauty! I hope Hal doesn't sell her to Stonestreet with it's Jackson and ASSmusen. as for names, something regal or feminine. here's what I have.

What A Beauty

Royal Pleasure

Royal d'Oro

Regal d'Oro

Honeymoon In Hawaii

Ace Of Spades (not very feminine)

Cupid's Rose (maybe it's just me, but her marking looks like a rose with a broken stem)

Hollywood To Go

now we have Zen and Rachel in foal. and we have a Zenny half sister and a Rachel full sister, and both look like carbon copies of their big sisters, aside from the facial marks. Zenny's half sister is two years older. spooky... the rivalry continues.

20 Mar 2011 4:55 PM
ttimsan

Beautiful pics of a beautiful filly. Hope she gets her own special moniker and gets to write her own story.

20 Mar 2011 6:24 PM
Tracy

She is beautiful so full of herself.How about naming her More Belles,after superfilly Eight Belles,or S'more Belles maybe?

20 Mar 2011 8:41 PM
Alex

She is BEAUTIFUL...Thank you for taking these pictures...

20 Mar 2011 9:06 PM
darlen2007

She is a great looking filly. I hope the best for her and like the rest she has A Lot To Live Up To but every one is forgetting Med. why not Rachel's Lotof D'Oro The two were both great runners so use both names for her.Make a contest of it for the winner to get to see her in person at weaning age.

20 Mar 2011 10:47 PM
Abigail Anderson

Thanks for doing this Anne. What a sweetheart and does she ever look like her older sister!!!!

20 Mar 2011 11:25 PM
Mary in Vermont

Dear newsline2, There was a picture of the adult Rachel during an AM work on the Oklahoma Training Track at Saratoga in the exact same phase with both forelegs off the ground as the 9th picture down here of her little sister entitled "Is this angle better?" I'll die with that issue of the DRF.

Anne, I'm sure you know there are a lot of people salivating for fresh news and pictures of Rachel. Pleeeeease, when you get those, upload them as fast as your little fingers can get it done.

For future visits, my eyes are hurting for a pictorial visit with Curlin. And I would love to see more of Bernadini. Surely those would be popular with everybody.

20 Mar 2011 11:30 PM
Renee Wiggins

Rachel was named after Mr.Morrison's granddaughter.  Hal Wiggins NEVER sold Rachel to Mr. Jess Jackson, her owners did. We loved the pictures!

21 Mar 2011 5:38 AM
ZenyattaMondatta

There is a picture of RA when she was this size on one of the websites.  Try typing Rachel Alexnadra in your search bar and check out all the websites that you see,  I know it's on one of the older ones.  IF not, go to Google.com and type her name in that search bar as well.  You'll find it.

21 Mar 2011 6:32 AM
Criminal Type

I really love the unusual facial markings that Medaglia D'oro throw's. Not just in Lotta Kim's foals but in a lot of his babies. She is really adorable. Also think it's pretty interesting that Rachel & Zenyatta will be having their foals within a couple days of each other, God willing. Thats a match up looking for a track to happen at. Their mom's never met, Hopefully the offspring will.

21 Mar 2011 8:11 AM
Rachel4Ever

Why, she almost has Rachel's "broken blaze"! Also a bit of baby Rachel's gangliness (Google for pictures of baby Rachel).

Names...names...hmm, Alexandria D'Rachel? Lol...

21 Mar 2011 8:19 AM
Teresa E.

This little one needs her OWN name with nothing to do with RA or she will always be compared to her. This baby is much better looking. I did not think RA was that good looking of a horse with the ugly marking on her face and someone had said she had 'pig eyes' whatever that means.  I love the big white star on this little girls face. Give her a nice good name, not one of those silly ones we here all the time. Give her her own identity.

21 Mar 2011 9:19 AM
Peggy Howland

Hey, there is the chance someday that this beautiful full sister of RA may race RA's baby!  Now that will be a day to look forward to.

21 Mar 2011 10:05 AM
Francesca

Gorgeous filly.  Why notbjust name her Alex...if the racing com. Accepts lol

21 Mar 2011 10:46 AM
Francesca

Gorgeous filly.  Why not t name her Alex...if the racing com. Accepts lol

21 Mar 2011 10:46 AM
ponyrider

My first thought on a name was Lotta Gold.  I see someone else thought of it as well.  :)

21 Mar 2011 11:21 AM
Dustem

Good looking baby. Rachel's Image

21 Mar 2011 12:01 PM
Delrene

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures of Mom & baby.  What a treat on a cold rainy morning in California.  This little girl has lots of energy and I agree with those who believe she needs a name that stands on it's own, and allows her a destiny unique to her. May she always be healthy and treated well.  A name honoring her sire & Mom is the best combo or if her owner has another grand daughter that would be lovely.

21 Mar 2011 12:43 PM
Nancy Wilde

Great photos..Love the filly and glad she looks like RA.  We only can hope that she can run like her big sister.  So happy for Doplh Morrison, and I heard that she could have the name of his other grand child..which is a winning combination for Mr. Morrison and family.

21 Mar 2011 2:09 PM
uncle mo lover amy!

sooo!!!!  sweet lets hope shes as goood as rachel!

21 Mar 2011 2:47 PM
uncle mo lover amy!

sooo!!!!  sweet lets hope shes as goood as rachel!

21 Mar 2011 2:47 PM
TerriV

She is just lovely.  Leggy and tall but her facial markings really don't look like Rachel's.  This filly has what looks like a large heart or maybe an apple.  It's very distinctive and totally individual.  She should have her own unique name to go with that - we'll all know she's Rachel's sister without giving her the same name.  Whoever wrote that her markings are more symmetrical was right.

21 Mar 2011 3:03 PM
Love 'em all

Love all the pics of this gorgeous little girl who already looks like a natural born winner!

Hoping Mr. Morrison has another granddaughter.  Always loved Rachel Alexandra's name ... and even more knowing it's a family name.  Fingers crossed there's another one out there.

Looking forward to your next set of pics ... visiting Rachel later this week.  Anne, you spoil us rotten ... and we love it.  Thank you!

21 Mar 2011 3:27 PM
Darla Burton

Another beautiful filly by Medaglia d' Oro!!  Love him!!!

21 Mar 2011 3:42 PM
Rose

She is stunning.  Conformationally correct with a great little hock and boy is she deep ...  I loved RA topline and I hope she develops just like her big sis..

As for names, I think her owner names the foals after his family.

Pick a great one...

However, if the owner hold true to his convictions, and he doesnt sell her, dont expect her to race against the boys, as she will run only with mares or fillys.

21 Mar 2011 4:47 PM
DinkyDiva

How adorable that lil filly is!  I sure hope that Kim has figured out her role this time around and can stay with her filly.

Hmmm, I agree, her name needs to stand on it's own.  Something unique with meaning.

Lotta D'Oro

Carbon Copy

21 Mar 2011 6:14 PM
WILD HORSES

Thank you soooooooooooooo much for these great pictures. This filly is absolutely adorable. I kind of like Lotta D'oro, but I need more time to come up with something truly unique.

21 Mar 2011 6:17 PM
Tippy Gladstone

Please do post some photos of Rachel when you go see her.  There haven't been enough.  Also, please give us some info. about her daily life and how she seems, who her "friends" are, her schedule, etc.  I think her fans have been craving such details. Thanks so much.  As for her little sis, how about "Lotta Legs"???

21 Mar 2011 7:46 PM
The Truth

Hmmmmm,   I wonder what the price tag is going to be on this filly's head since she is supposed to be a full sister to RA and we know how much Dolphus got for RA from JJ. You know he only done this for the price tag.....I hope they realize this little cutie may not grow up and be like her sister, she may be the opposite,  Or she could be better and run superbly and/or if she is treated like a filly should be and not like the way JJ treated RA.

21 Mar 2011 7:48 PM
The Truth

I wonder what the price tag is going to be on this filly's head?  I expect Dolphus bred these two again just for the price tag that he may can get for it.(like he did with RA from JJ).

I sure hope someone other than JJ buys this one,  I hope someone  treats her like she should be treated and not ran the life out of like JJ did RA.

this little filly may can run at four if managed correctly.

21 Mar 2011 7:54 PM
The Truth

Sorry for the double-posting, My Internet connection got shut off quickly because of a power surge, I didn't think it went thru, but it did.

21 Mar 2011 7:57 PM
Criminal Type

She is adorable, I love the facial markings Medaglia throw's. As for the name, how bout, Mirror Image ?

21 Mar 2011 8:20 PM
carolyn k

OHHHH These photos feel so good and make me smile !!!!! Lotta Kim is such a good Mom Baby is a carbon copy of Rachel !!!!!!!!!

21 Mar 2011 9:41 PM
Dottie Combest

Adorable little foal ~ her markings do look like a butterfly ~ and I like when names incorporate the sire and dam's names ~ "Lotta Gold" ~ makes more sense than any other name mentioned here ~ she should have her OWN name ~ and NOT live in the shadow of her big sister ~ !!! It's sad how Barbaro's brothers have to live in his shadow ~ it's not fare to compare !!!

22 Mar 2011 1:10 AM
Dottie Combest

I loved Rachel Alexandra and the "heart" she ran with ~ but we need to remember that "great fillies" are not an everyday occurance ~ after Ruffian it took a long time for us to see her equals ~ RA and Zenyatta are in that "book of Champion Fillies" which should include Lady's Secret, Winning Colors, Rags to Riches, Geniune Risk, Spicy Living, Chris Evert, just to name a few off the top of my head ~ let this adorable foal grow up to be a healthy strong filly and hopefully she will also end up in THAT book of "Champion Fillies"  :)

22 Mar 2011 1:28 AM
LongStoryTB

Lovely article as always.

How about:  Lotta D'Oro ???

Look forward to all your stories abouat the broodmares and foals.

22 Mar 2011 9:30 AM
Criminal Type

Anne, How bout an update on My Typhoon. I know she has one Giants Causeway colt named He's a Cyclone. Would love an update on her.

22 Mar 2011 10:16 AM
Oldie

Anne, lovely pictures, thanks so much for bringing them to us.  Can't wait to see the photos of Rachel!  This filly is very good looking - and this is not a serious suggestion for a name, but the first one that sprang to mind was Little Lotta :)  Lotta Kim looks really good, very glad to hear she is adapting to motherhood.

22 Mar 2011 10:33 AM
Perididdle

Any name incorporating Rachel would just be awful for this little filly...no reason to make her live under her sister's shadow by name or by reference. Morrison does indeed have another granddaughter, the real Rachel's sister, and I'd suspect this little filly will have the honor of taking on her name!

Morrison breeds to sell, nothing wrong with that, but after RA's success who knows. As for someone who went on about how Morrison would only race her against fillies and mares - he never said that. He said no racing in the Triple Crown. Two very, very different things.

22 Mar 2011 11:47 AM
Rachel Fan

Absolutely gorgeous!!! Love her and can't wait till she's racing. But PLEASE none of these names like Little Rachel or Rachel's Sister or Lottatolookupto. She's going to be a star in her own right and should be remembered for what she does. Who knows? Maybe she will even outdo Rachel (a huge task, I know) and Rachel will have to be remembered as her big sister. Using the name Rachel or Alexandra or Lotta or Kim or D'Oro in her name is fine to make the connection. But let her earn her own fame in her own name.

22 Mar 2011 3:02 PM
BrendaB

Call her Papillon d'Oro...'butterfly' in french.

22 Mar 2011 3:24 PM
robram

She's a darling, reminds me so much of Rachel. My advice: 1)give her some space, 2)give her a name that is her very own with no Rachel-ism's, and 3)keep her far away from Jess Jackson. We've already seen how he ruined her sister.

22 Mar 2011 6:13 PM
Smith

Kimoro.

Good Luck to this lovely legged foal, it's only fair she gets her own identity.  Remember, just because one of your kids turns out to be a fab violin player, doesn't mean the other 3 will have a musical note in them.  Look at all pro sports, very rare to have superstar siblings.  Venus & Serena are a great exception, but at that level, there aren't many.  None the less, will certainly enjoy following this one's career.

23 Mar 2011 1:16 PM
Carole

Simply gorgeous! With facial markings similar to Rachel. Best of luck to this little beauty.

23 Mar 2011 3:34 PM
Ragsy

Oh, good grief, folks this is a fun game of names, relax, I am certain the owner will name this beautiful filly just what he wants...

23 Mar 2011 6:37 PM
Ida Lee

OMG!! She's a carbon copy of Rachel.  How gorgeous..just like her sister.  But, yes, she's her own personality and will do what she is destined to do on the track.  It's not fair to make comparisons with Rachel since no one in horse racing history had the 3-year old season Rachel had so let's not jinx this cutie. Just pray that she stays safe and healthy. She is from a much loved family and that in itself makes her special.

23 Mar 2011 6:45 PM
lostblonds

Ahh beautiful,a perfect baby!  It never ceases to amaze me how delicate and tiny they really are. I'm happy to see both are healthy! Lucky owner! About the name why not just as you had the title,"Lotta liveupto"? It will be !!

23 Mar 2011 7:09 PM
jose

How about princessa d'oro

23 Mar 2011 9:57 PM
alene cohen

What a gorgeous filly!! Such beautiful long legs. She looks very playful and has a bright look in her gentle little face.  Lets name her:  HeavenscentD`oro

23 Mar 2011 10:41 PM
Zenny101

SHE IS JUST A DOLL!! Lotta to live up to indeed!!

23 Mar 2011 11:18 PM
Judy Sims from Florida

De ja vu! What a precious foal and so like Rachel. Your pictures are wonderful as always. She is even sporting a larger exclamation point (upside down) like Rachel. Hopefully this little lass will give us the thrills that her sister gave us.

24 Mar 2011 11:09 AM
slee

Let's let the filly be her own woman, and not Rachel's little sister.  It's tough enough to make it as a racehorse, let alone as a legend.

For a name, since her sire's name translates to "Medal of Gold" and her dam's grandsire is "Forty Niner" (after the gold rush and HIS sire "Mr. Prospector"), and since both families have demonstrated a lot of racing heart and courage, how about a play on the sire's name that recognizes that heart -

"Golden Mettle"?

(too bad she's not a bright chestnut, but....)

24 Mar 2011 2:49 PM
L

Actually Medaglia d'Oro is a coffee.

www.amazon.com/.../B001E5E24A

His name hearkens back to his dam Cappuccino Bay

24 Mar 2011 3:43 PM
slee

Hi L -

Yes, Medaglia d'Oro is an instant expresso coffee, and it's called that because of the gold medals it shows on its label.  Poetic license and dreams run rampant in the bluegrass in spring!

And even though the filly's face marking is shaped a little like a coffee filter (sorry, but it is...), that may fit into the family history, but let's hope the Jockey Club buys into a wonderful name for this little filly with the big knees!

24 Mar 2011 4:20 PM
love the horses

What a beautiful little girl.

why don't we hear or see more of Rags to riches and her babies.

Her filly should be about ready to race. And what of the colt she had this year.

25 Mar 2011 10:17 AM
Brenda

Thanks so much for the great pictures!!

Can't wait to see what her name will be, and what she looks like as she gets older.

25 Mar 2011 1:02 PM
Runfast159

Great pictures, BEAUTIFUL foal.  The perfect name is already in use though:

SIBLING RIVALRY

25 Mar 2011 4:23 PM
SPORTOFKINGS

names for this fill

Rachels DNA

lotto prove

Rachel the II

25 Mar 2011 11:54 PM
tbpartnerperson43

These pictures remind me that TB's are just born to run.  That is what they do best.  What a lovely, active foal.

26 Mar 2011 9:23 AM
Convene

I see she also has that split blaze on her face, even tho a different shape. Hope it's a sign of good fortune. This one has huge shoes to fill - and I hope she makes it! Stay well and grow, little one, then come out and wow us all over again.

26 Mar 2011 10:23 AM
marty

SUMMER GOLD

27 Mar 2011 2:50 PM
datflippinrabbit

wonder what she will fetch in the auction ring.

27 Mar 2011 11:45 PM
Panther

What a joy to see - a mare and foal enjoying being horses. The filly does remind you of her sister, but I agree her name should be her own. Leave the names that include Rachel to RA's babies. I like Lotta d'Oro to honor both parents. Or, in view of her future, High Expectations?

28 Mar 2011 9:53 AM
Joanna

Too cute... and yes I love the name Lotto Prove...

28 Mar 2011 9:56 PM
pollyanne1

My suggestion for Rachel's colt:    Bringontheboys .   I saw Rachel beat the boys at Saratoga and was just thrilled to death.  I wish she had been able to take on Zenyatta just once.

23 Jan 2012 7:59 PM