Charging to the Kentucky Derby

Supercharger, dam of 2010 Kentucky Derby winner Super Saver, has a 2011 Tiznow colt born on March 30, at WinStar Farm near Versailles, Ky.
The mare has been bred to Medaglia d’Oro.
Supercharger at WinStar
With her current foal, Supercharger walks to her field. Order this Photo.
Supercharger
Taking off for a run. Order this Photo.
In the Field
Enjoying some time in the field with fellow mares and foals. Order this Photo.

Super Saver, by Maria’s Mon, is finishing his first season as a stallion at WinStar. He will have his first crop of foals in 2012. Brethren, Supercharger’s 2008 foal by Distorted Humor, was impressive as a stakes winner earlier this year on the Derby trail when he won the Sam F. Davis Stakes at Tampa. After an 11th place finish in the Arkansas Derby, Brethren was returned to Kentucky for a rest and training at the WinStar training facility.

Other broodmare updates:
Stardom Bound had her first foal on April 18, 2011 at Katsumi Yoshida’s Northern Farm in Hokkaido, Japan. The grey colt is by champion Big Brown, who won the Kentucky Derby and stands at Three Chimneys Farm near Midway, Ky. A Northern Farm representative said Stardom Bound is doing well as a first-time mother!

Rags to Riches has a 2011 Galileo colt in Ireland and has been bred back to Galileo. Her first foal, an unnamed 2-year-old filly by Giant’s Causeway, now is with JJ Pletcher at his Payton Training Center in Ocala, Florida. The filly likely will move into training at the track with Todd Pletcher in July or August of this year.

Playa Maya had a Broken Vow colt on Feb. 1, 2011, at Ashford Stud near Versailles, Ky. The dam of champion 2-year-old Uncle Mo, Playa Maya is back in foal to Indian Charlie. Uncle Mo will be one of the favorites at the Kentucky Derby on Saturday, May 7.
Uncle Mo
Uncle Mo prepares for Kentucky Derby 137 at Churchill Downs. Order this Photo.

More notes:

We will have lots of Kentucky Oaks and Kentucky Derby photos available after the race at The Blood-Horse Photo Store. Be sure to check them out. Our photographers will be out at the track working hard.

Also, I will post some of my favorite images to my Facebook Fan Page, so be sure you are following.

I am once again looking for suggestions for broodmare's you would like for me to pay a visit to or get updates on.....so let me know in the comments below. (Note: You must now register an account on BloodHorse.com in order to leave comments.)  Thanks everybody and best of luck this weekend.

Criminal Type

Anne, great photos as always. SuperCharger looks great, as does her TIZNOW colt. I can't wait to see her Medaglia next spring. I really like him. I know another blogger who is following SuperChargers Broodmare career quite closely. You know who you are..LOL. I would love to see pictures of BigBrown/Stardombound since it's not likely we will ever get to see that one run in the US. I thought Rags was booked to Sea The Star's, but Galileo is good too. I was also under the impression that Rag's Giants Causeway filly was named Rich's Causeway.

Trebloc, If you read this, and I think you will, I know your girl is in foal to SS. Try her with Big Brown, or even Pomeroy, another son of Boundry. I did a few hypos on her and this was the best one IMO.

04 May 2011 11:48 AM
Fran

I would love to see some pictures of Pepper's Pride and her new foal.  I know her foal had some problems at birth but I the foal is doing well now.  So Pepper's Pride updated pictures would be wonderful.

04 May 2011 11:51 AM
Sissy

Great pix! I would LOVE to see an update with pictures of SWEET DAMSEL!(Mr. Hot Stuff and Colonel John's dam).

Keep up the great work!

04 May 2011 12:07 PM
Stellar Jayne

Hi Anne - Thank you for the lovely pictures of Supercharger and her foal.  She has a very kind demeanor.

So glad to hear about Stardom Bound and Big Brown's foal, Rags To Riches and Galileo's foal - any chance the Brits will send photos?  I too would love to see Pepper's Pride and her new foal, as well as her older previous babies.  Any chance you can give an update on Stellar Jayne and some of her foals?

Thanks!

04 May 2011 12:10 PM
ALB

Speaking of broodmares, how come it was never announced if Zenyatta was bred back to Bernardini and if she is currently in foal? Thanks!

04 May 2011 1:50 PM
Criminal Type

Really sad news about Devil May Care. She was such a beautiful filly. At least she did not suffer. My prayers are with her connections.

04 May 2011 4:05 PM
Criminal Type

ALB, I am guessing that they are not releasing any info on Zenyatta until they are sure she is in foal. lot's of folks were disapointed when she slipped the first fetus. Supposedly she was bred back to Bernardini in late March.

I would like to know how La Ville Rouge is doing. She should have had or be having her foal any day.

04 May 2011 8:41 PM
Trebloc

Anne, terrific photos.

Criminal Type, thanks for the info.

Looking forward to the Oaks and Derby.

05 May 2011 8:28 AM
Somethingroyal

Great pictures! i would love to see some pictures of Ashado and Azeri

05 May 2011 11:14 AM
Karen in Texas

Thanks for the lovely pictures of Supercharger and her foal! She has a kind look about her, similar to Barbaro's dam, La Ville Rouge, I think.

I, too, would love to see photos of Pepper's Pride and her foal by Distorted Humor. Thanks again!

05 May 2011 1:12 PM
carmncj

I'd love to hear how Sweet Catomine is doing.  Thanks for the updates on some of the other girls of interest to us all!

05 May 2011 1:58 PM
Delrene

I know that I loved Careless Jewel and know she was sold in 2010 for over 1 million as a broodmare sprospect.  I've lost track of her and hope she is safe and well.  So sad to hear of Devil May Care's death.

Perhaps a picture of Careless Jewell? if possible.

Delrene Sims,

Carlsbad

05 May 2011 2:26 PM
Bunny Hinzman

As always, I enjoyed the seeing these pictures.  I anticipate watching Rags To Riches' first foal's racing career.

Aside from the subject, I am a 14 year old horseracing enthusiast, and I write a blog about everything thoroughbred horseracing.  I think you all will enjoy reading.  Find me at:

bitsnbunny.blogspot.com