Zenyatta's New Friends

Guest blogger/photographer Mathea Kelley is back with another update on Zenyatta. She appears to be doing great at Lanes End Farm.

August at Lanes End is a busy time, between weaning the foals, getting ready for the sales, and the day-to-day farm activities. However, the maiden mares get to chill out and enjoy the late summer days. Zenyatta is turned out most of the day with her buddy Tasty Temptation. They seem to be perfectly content to laze in the sunshine eating grass and giving each other the occasional scratch.
Zenyatta and Tasty Temptation
Order this Photo.

Zenyatta's main man these days is her barn foreman, Matt; you can really see that they have a special bond. When things slow down a bit at the farm I am going to sit down with Matt and have a chat about what a typical day is like for Zenyatta. Are there any questions you would like me to ask Matt?
Zenyatta and her friend Matt
Order this Photo.

I thought I would go ahead and share some other shots I captured while I was out on the farm. Which one is your favorite?
Zenyatta

Zenyatta and Friend
Happy Zenyatta

footy231

just love her

20 Sep 2011 12:17 PM
dpinder

Love your pictures! But after all....you had a beautiful subject to take pictures of!! Keep the pictures coming.

Thanks.

20 Sep 2011 12:23 PM
showard13

I really like the shots where you can see how shes lost her "racy"  look and clearly looks in foal. Looks like she is enjoying retirement.....thats good, shes More than earned it.

20 Sep 2011 12:30 PM
SOUTHBENDFARM

Zenyatta sure does not look like she is pregnant.  Probably because she is so big to begin with.  Any idea who she is scheduled to be bred to in 2012.  Very nice photos.  Keep them coming.

20 Sep 2011 12:37 PM
GJU

These pictures made my day! Thank you for posting. Her coat color sure looks lighter since she's been in Kentucky. Zenyatta is one in a million! Love her!

20 Sep 2011 12:45 PM
Karen in Indiana

If ever a horse could say she was content, this is her. She looks peaceful and happy. Wonderful!

20 Sep 2011 12:51 PM
VA Taylor

That first picture with her human Matt, if I were him I'd have that framed and mounted on my wall. Beautiful picture(s)!

20 Sep 2011 1:22 PM
Susan from VA

Mathea - Why is Zenyatta no longer in with her first "friend," Pirate Queen?

Southbendfarm - mares don't really look pregnant until the last few months of gestation.

GJU- Zenyatta's coat probably looks lighter because she's spending more time outside.

20 Sep 2011 2:05 PM
Anita Xanax

She looks completely peaceful and happy.  I am so glad she has a human bond an an equine bond.  Can't wait to see her foal!

20 Sep 2011 2:47 PM
Linda in Texas

Mathea, i like the first and second snd last pictures the best. Zenyatta simply is a sweetheart, she loves man and horse alike.

Also, when i read "Z" is with Tasty Temptation and not Pirate Queen, my question is the same as Susan from VA. Where is Pirate Queen, did she foal and is she with her own? So that would be the question i would like to have asked when you return.

Thank you for the great photos.

And I think Zenyatta has calmed down a lot and seems so relaxed. Just adore her whatever she does.

20 Sep 2011 2:49 PM
tonka

What awesome pictures. Can't pick a favorite. Thanks and keep them coming.

20 Sep 2011 3:51 PM
Guiness

You can really see her "baby bump" now.   she is showing and to think she has alot more bigger to get.   She looks so at peace grazing in the sunshine with her pal.

20 Sep 2011 4:38 PM
Alexandra Boyd

Love that Zenyatta has a Canadian horse friend. They both look so beautiful.

20 Sep 2011 4:59 PM
Barbara W

I've wondered about Pirate Queen as well.

Z. is so photogenic that I think that even I could take a good picture of her!

20 Sep 2011 5:02 PM
Rita

The 11th is my favorite picture. She looks great and so happy being a horse and soon to be mom. I love her so much and miss seeing her. I can't wait to see her baby. Hope to se her one day. Until then I will carry her in my heart.

20 Sep 2011 5:04 PM
showard13

She is no longer with Pirate Queen because Z lost her foal 1st time and PQ did not and so now they are on different schedules.

20 Sep 2011 5:44 PM
WILD HORSES

Thank you sooooooo much for the pictures of Big Z. She still looks like the Queen. She is so special and the kindness in her eyes shines right through. She is now and will forever be my favorite racehorse. LONG LIVE THE QUEEN!!!!

I love you Big Z!   Lori

20 Sep 2011 5:54 PM
Susan from VA

showard13 - They certainly are organized, aren't they!  I guess that's the way the large scale breeding operations work.  I'm used to only a few mares in foal at a time!

20 Sep 2011 6:09 PM
Fran

I couldn't pick just one.  She is beautiful and heavy with baby, yet she is just fantastic.  She seems to still love the attention from her human friends.  Thanks so much for sharing.

20 Sep 2011 6:13 PM
Linda in Texas

showard13 - thanks so much, you know i should have figured that out. I hope if you hear of Pirate Queen foaling that you will be able to let us know.

Thanks for answering Susan from VA

and my tag along question.

Linda

20 Sep 2011 6:27 PM
Jan

Thanks for the pics.  Boy, Zenyatta is living up to her name, Big Mama.  She looks healthy and happy.

20 Sep 2011 6:30 PM
bellesforever

Thank you for the beautiful shots of Zenyatta..I think I like the one where she is looking into the camera while holding onto some grass..she looks so content and so happy..

20 Sep 2011 6:54 PM
txhorsefan

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  There is just no way that I could pick one favorite out of these wonderful photos - they are all so fantastic.  I love the photos of Zenyatta solo, I love the photos of her with Matt, I love the photos of her with her pasture friend, I love the black and white shots - gosh, guess I just love them all.  Thank you so much for sharing them with us.  I really needed a Zenyatta lift today.

20 Sep 2011 7:13 PM
NJinHB

Would love to know from Matt if she still stops and stares off into the distance as much as she did at Shirreff's barn at Hollywood Park? Was very lucky to visit her twice,loved watching her do that! My favorite photo is the one with her doing exactly that at the fence.:) She's an old soul for sure. Thank you for the pictures,we sure miss her here!

20 Sep 2011 8:05 PM
Sue MacGray

Wow. Whenever I see a full-scale picture of Z I am astounded all over again at her grandeur. Even now with a little extra weight on she is built like the proverbial Brick Hou(r)se. Even though I'm following It's Tricky, Havre de Grace, Frankel, Uncle Mo, The Factor, et al, I still go on youtube every few weeks or so and watch her races and her strut in the post parade. She does look happy, and I'm so excited for the arrival of her first baby!! But boy, is she missed on the track. Let's face it, not only could she run, she had PRESENCE. Great pictures, please keep them coming, so we can stay in touch with her. Thanks!

20 Sep 2011 8:11 PM
MK

The 14th picture is my favorite.  Two gal pals enjoying the outdoors.  Wonderful!  I so hope to meet Zenny someday.  Thanks for your personal touch with this post.

20 Sep 2011 9:04 PM
got2bmarty

Still beautiful! How I miss her so.

I can't wait for the baby to arrive.

I wonder is Mr. and Mrs. Moss have thought of a name for Baby Z?

20 Sep 2011 9:47 PM
Paula Higgins

Wonderful, wonderful pictures and she sure does love Matt! She looks so healthy and content. What a beautiful home she has. I am so glad she has horse friends. She is having a very good life and it gladdens my heart immensely.

20 Sep 2011 10:42 PM
Delrene

Thank you so so very much for the beautiful pictures of Zenyatta and especially the one with her paddock pal, Tasty Temptation.  We all love her and miss her here in Ca, but it is so obvious she is loving her life.  She sure is Mike's Big Mama now.  What a gorgeous horse.

21 Sep 2011 12:36 AM
Zen4Zen

Thanks so much for posting these terrific pictures and I'd love to hear more about the changes Matt has observed in Zenyatta over the past few months -- e.g., any changes in temperament or personality, diet (I'm assuming she's not craving pickles!), coat (is it just these photos or has she really gotten lighter?).  How most notably does she differ from the other mares in Matt's charge?   And does she ever get to see her friend Pirate's Bounty now that they're on different foaling schedules?  Thanks so much!

21 Sep 2011 5:44 AM
Guiness

Zen4zen,   I think what you're seeing is the photographer's owner's right's emblem over the picuture,I thought the same thing when I first saw it a while back.   That is so no one can copy them.  Well, aren't supposed to.

21 Sep 2011 6:20 AM
BlueHen

Zenyatta looks so relaxed!  Lovely, lovely pictures!  She looks like she's a little mellower (a word??) these days.

I would like to know from Matt what Zenyatta's favorite treats are and if she still dances.

21 Sep 2011 9:17 AM
ofelia

It is hard to believe what a beast she was on the track. If I had not seen the dancing, side-passing, on the muscle moves for the past 2 years, I would not have believed it.

What a beautiful creature she is! I am so happy she gets to be a horse and enjoy retirement but I can't wait to see her offspring tearing through the track!!

21 Sep 2011 9:46 AM
Stellar Jayne

Thank you so much for these beautiful pictures of Z as the Lady in Waiting.  As stated above, it is hard to pick a favorite.  She does look very happy in Matt's presence and she appears to be very contented.

Originally there was a third mare in the paddock with Zenyatta and Pirate Queen, but I can't remember her name at the moment.  Did she foal also?

What I would love to see is a picture of Z without a halter - either a clear head shot or full body, or both!

Thanks for brightening up a cloudy and gray day!

21 Sep 2011 11:43 AM
Rosita712

Thanks for the great photos. It always brightens my day to see updates on her. I would love to know more about  her daily routine and if she's really changed much since she got off the track, when you get to ask Matt questions. I guess she's probably about the same; she's always been so mellow and people oriented anyway. And does he realize just how great his job is taking care of Zenyatta? (I'd say he does!) I also wonder if we will ever be allowed to visit, maybe after her first foal is born and weaned. I know they want to be cautious and he may not know the answer, but I am curious about that. Thanks!

21 Sep 2011 11:56 AM
Joanna from TX

Wonderful pictures! I like seeing Z without the cotton balls in her ears :))) HRTV has a promo that shows a very short clip of Tasty Temptation running; fun to see her now! The girls look super; I'll will be waiting for the foal news this coming 'spring' for Z, RA, TT, and Careless Jewel (by Tapit, in foal to Street Cry).

21 Sep 2011 2:54 PM
GoldenBroom

Like the head on shots with her head/neck down low...relaxed with the (evening or morning?) sun on her side. I also like that they are all outside....not couped up like so many racers were. I wonder if Sheriffs adjusted her feed at all since she did manage to get out and grass (by lead) quite a bit or so it seemed...thank you!

22 Sep 2011 8:35 AM
Freetex

She still takes my breath away.

Every single photo is wonderful.

Thank you so much.

22 Sep 2011 4:19 PM
TerriZ

Thanks for the wonderful photographs; seeing her fills my heart with joy. The black and white photos are especially striking and artistic.

Please ask if Zenyatta has seen her old friend and stablemate, Life is Sweet, while at Lane's End. And has she seen LIS's foal?

Also, does she still receive leg massages?

Thanks again.

22 Sep 2011 11:19 PM
immortalzenyatta21

It's too bad Claiborne Farm's Boundary has bee retired from stud duty because if Zenyatta would of been mated to him their foal would have the RF of Princequillo 5S X 5D!! Imagine that!! I am so happy to be able to enjoy her pictures!! She seems happy and she DEFINATELY deserves it!! Can't wait to see her foal!! LOVE the immortal Zenyatta!!

23 Sep 2011 12:17 AM
Alex'sBigFan

What lovely and great photos Mathea.  Thank you for sharing them.  I just love Zenyatta and miss her dearly.  My favorite shot is the 3rd one from the top where she is gazing off into the distance by the fence, perhaps remembering Hollywood Park, the roar of her fans, and the track.  I just said in another blog that I believe Zenyatta has great healing powers and it must have been great just being near her.  Not long ago on her website she was outside Pirate Queen's stall so I would imagine she still gets to see her even though their schedules are now different.  I would like to know as well what her reaction was to Life Is Sweet's beautiful foal?  That foal was adorable!

This is the most anticipated birth of the century.  She is so intelligent, you can see it in her, and she will be a great mother.  I'm just so happy that she is happy and healthy, that's all that matters.

23 Sep 2011 7:10 PM
Moodygirl

I have been wondering how my favorite mare has been doing, so you were right on time! She ALWAYS brings a smile to my face when I see her pics. I really like the 6th one, a close up with grass in her mouth, showing her widening sides. I see a subtitle underneath: Pregnant Ladies Need To Eat

23 Sep 2011 10:19 PM
Ida Lee

Thank you so much for the lovely pictures of The Queen. Although I check her website everyday so I know what she's up to, the pictures are great. Zenyatta is missed on the track but she looks so big and so content, it's wonderful to see her safe, sound and happy.

24 Sep 2011 4:55 PM
fuzzbert

I loved all of them!!!!  Really miss the Queen.  She brought so much to racing.  Her foal will be one of the high-lights of 2012. Thank you for the beautiful pics.

25 Sep 2011 3:47 PM
Barbara W

Thank you, showard13, for the explanation about PQ. I'll post the info. on Zenny's site. Several have asked about PQ.

25 Sep 2011 11:08 PM
Agnes

Thanks so much for the pictures.  I've been so lonesome for her and it makes me feel better to see her belly getting big and her eyes showing happiness and contentment.

26 Sep 2011 11:51 PM
RoadAngel

Not since Secretariat has a horse moved me to tears when they run.  Zenyatta is a beauty.  She is a true champion and has thrilled everyone with her come from behind races.  I LOVE THIS HORSE.  May she live a long life and produce many Zenyatta's and Zenyatto's.

27 Sep 2011 12:43 PM
mz

I know she'a in Europe but does anyone know how Zarkava (the other "Z") is doing?

27 Sep 2011 3:31 PM
deb

She looks so happy and content!  I hope motherhood goes smooth for her. What a great gal!

thank you for the update and photos.

28 Sep 2011 12:12 PM
badgirl

Still such a beauty, really miss seeing her, but glad she has new

friends, and doing well. The photos

are great, by the way!!

28 Sep 2011 3:29 PM
SUNNY FARM

Thank-you for showing the recent photos of ZENYATTA ! She looks very well & still has her great sense of humor, still loves the camera.

I love her relaxed attitude & I can see that she is content, well settled and most of all HAPPY !

My favorite picture is the one where she is giving Matt a mutual rub(next to last photo ),a compliment to the handler. Good job , Matt !

It made me happy and "pleased''  to see ZENYATTA with one friend ,the grey, and not out ''running with a larger herd"

Well done LANES END !

From "Z's" expression, it is easy to see that she is indeed a happy & relaxed girl !

30 Sep 2011 10:22 AM
Dovie

It is SO GREAT to see pictures of our beloved Zenyatta!  Whew....it's been a long dry spell.  Don't know why this is so important, but it just is.  I'm going to answer your question which is my favorite.  #3, #5, #8, #9 and #11.   5, 8, & 9 are my favorites.  It's hard to pick just one when it comes to Zenyatta. #11 where she's grazing, she's really looking a hole thru you.  Oh how I love this mare!  Love to read all the comments about her, it's like reading a motivatonal & inspiring book.  Don't you agree?

03 Oct 2011 3:32 PM
Dovie

I forgot.....the question I'd like to ask Matt is why don't you or whoever grooms Zenyatta, pull her mane and get rid of those dead ends that are "brown".....???    Please don't ever take pictures of her with that fly net on her face either.   She should look her very best at all times because SHE IS THE VERY BEST HORSE ON THE PLANET~!!!    If she could talk she would say the same thing because she is such a lady!   All ladies want to look their best for their adoring public.  And we do adore her.

03 Oct 2011 3:38 PM
Delrene

I've returned from vacation and am catching up with my Zenyatta news and pictures.  These are wonderful.  Thanks so much.  She looks so content, happy and a bit bigger - I love her looks.  She was  wonderful racehorse and miss her tons.  I can't go to SA or Del Mar without thinking of all the joy she brought to the racetrack.  We are so appreciative of the effort her owners and Lane's End do in keeping her in our view.

09 Oct 2011 12:36 AM