The Lovely Lotka

The star of Breakfast with the Works at Keeneland on October 15, 2011, was Lotka, a 28-year-old daughter of Danzig who raced for Henryk de Kwiatkowski and was trained by Woody Stephens. In honor of her 1986 triumph in the now grade I Queen Elizabeth II Challenge Cup, Lotka was the featured live demonstration on the 25th anniversary of winning the race.  She was paraded in front of crowd. Relaxed and friendly with the fans, she looked great for all her years.

Lotka produced 14 foals including multiple group winner Mambo Twist who earned more than $2.5 million. Lotka resides at Our Mims Retirement Haven near Paris, Ky. Visit www.OurMims.org and www.facebook.com/MimsRetirement for more information.

Thought I would share with you guys some of the images of her I captured during her demonstration. Let me know what you think of her.

Breeders' Cup is right around the corner and I will be there! Let me know who you would like to see photos of and I will do my best to get as many images as possible.  Thanks everyone!

Lotka 00
Order this Photo.
Lotka 01
Order this Photo.
Lotka 2
Order this Photo.
Lotka 3
Order this Photo.
Lotka 4
Order this Photo.
Lotka 5
Order this Photo.

Mims

Thank you, Anne, for all the beautiful photos! Lotka is lovely, indeed and she really seemed to enjoy herself on Saturday. So many nice people came out to say hi. It was a wonderful day.

17 Oct 2011 1:37 PM
summergames84

She looks wonderful for any age.  The love given to her shines in her eyes. Thanks for sharing the great photos.

17 Oct 2011 2:40 PM
wlcink

One of the regal grand dames of our times.  Wonderful to see her looking well in her advancing years - obviously loved and cared for, as it should be!

17 Oct 2011 5:58 PM
Cris

Thank you for the photos. Enjoy the Breeders Cup. I will think hard about the horses that will be there and post a request later if that is ok.

17 Oct 2011 6:04 PM
LindaVA

Lotka is indeed lovely, and a testament to the wonderful care Jeanne provides for all the Ladies who reside at Our Mims!

17 Oct 2011 6:46 PM
MRO

Oh....just beautiful.

17 Oct 2011 8:42 PM
Mims

I just LOVE how Lotka recognized some of the people in the crowd. She was clearly drawn to the folks in the fifth photo as well as to her dear other Dear friends who have visited her here at the farm.

I lso was quite impressed at her attitude on Saturday...calm, collected and willing to share herself. She knew where she was, and, what was expected of her. Gotta love a true professional.

17 Oct 2011 10:27 PM
A Horsey Canuck

Thank you so much, Anne, for sharing the photos of Lotka with those of us who couldn't attend in person. It was wonderful to see the respect that this grand old lady got..and rightly so. When I come to KY next October for some of the Keeneland meet, I plan to visit Old Mims, Lotka and the other wonderful "ladies".

18 Oct 2011 7:33 AM
Dawn in MN

Lovely photographs Anne!  Thanks.

I would love to see a feature on the grooms, the hotwalkers, and their favorite charges.  Wouldn't it be nice to feature the faces of those hard working people behind the scenes?  They love and care for the animals with their own hands every day, and they deserve credit.  Maybe you could highlight some of the groom's favorite horses.

I for one would also like to see the horses with their barn cats, dogs, goats whatever... and any other non-human pals of the horses.  Some horses really do have an animal entourage, and I for one would love to meet them through your lens.

18 Oct 2011 7:42 AM
LouAnn

The pics of Lotka are fabulous and thankyou so much for sharing them.  She is an absolutely gogeous horse and her beauty and grace leave one breathless indeed.

18 Oct 2011 2:56 PM
Zen4Zen

Great photos of a lovely mare!

19 Oct 2011 6:10 AM
Zen4Zen

Oops, I forgot!  If you can possibly visit and photograph Zenyatta, that'd be wonderful.  And of course, among the contestants, Havre de Grace.  Many thanks!

19 Oct 2011 6:14 AM
Archangel

Lotka looked like she was a youngster and the photos of her are just wonderful.  And she acted like a lady with the crowd and when she had all of her visitors. Even the very "special" ones who visited from across the breezeway. It is so wonderful when an organization like Our Mims is highlighted like this during a big race event.  They really deserve all the recognition. The "Ladies" of Our Mims live out their lives with love, care and a sense of home.  Good work Jeanne and Cheryl and I can't forget Pete and everyone that goes to the Haven to help.

Auntie Clare

19 Oct 2011 5:24 PM
Archangel

By the way Anne, the photos were the best.  Any of your photos would be welcomed from the BC.

19 Oct 2011 5:28 PM