Zenyatta Tidbits and Pics

As December comes to a close, guest blogger/photographer Mathea Kelley had a chance to sit down with Zenyatta's barn foreman Matt Martinez, to get some inside scoop on some Zenyatta “factoids”.  Here are his answers and a bit about Matt too....

• Zenyatta comes in every morning with Tasty to have breakfast and a look over to make sure she is sound and happy. After she is done with her oats and given a little TLC she is turned back out to her paddock to graze and enjoy the rest of her day outside. It is simple and routine which is just what a broodmare needs.
  • Zenny loves food and will eat just about anything you put in front of her! She very much enjoys bananas and carrots of course.
  • Her favorite people are Mr. and Mrs. Moss.
  • She has no dislikes. She loves everything.
  • I would say that Zenyatta is loving every minute of retirement! Coming from the race track and transitioning to life on the farm is a very important process for a broodmare and she has been just wonderful. Throughout the day you can find her gazing off into the distance, taking it all in, happy to be where she is. She loves grazing outside with her pal Tasty Temptation. The two of them are the best of friends and spend a lot of time grooming each other. Zenny is also always happy to come to the fence to say "hello" to anyone who stops by.
  • People always ask if she still "dances". The answer is yes, she still loves to dance.

Matt was born and raised in Texas and moved to Kentucky 6 years ago and instantly fell in love with horses. He has been surrounded by horses ever since...

I was recently at Lanes End and took some new photos of Zenyatta enjoying a warm sunny fall day. She looks great don’t you think?  Perhaps the next photos will be in the snow! Stay tuned to www.ThroughTheLensBlog.com for updates.
Zenyatta and Matt
Order this Photo.
Zenyatta head turn
Order this Photo.
Zenyatta close
Order this Photo.

Lovedbysweetie

Zenny is and always will be the most graceful horse to ever live, I have always said that on the day she was born, God reached down, touched her and said..." This One" ....

20 Dec 2011 4:29 PM
Cleone

Lovely!

20 Dec 2011 4:53 PM
Karen in Texas

Thank you for the updates! She does look great and very relaxed in her Lanes End home!

20 Dec 2011 5:03 PM
Ellie

Oooooooh, I just LOVE these updates! She does look really content. Just happy. I agree with LBSweetie's comment above. When you saw Zenyatta in front of your own eyes, you knew you were looking at a gift from God, the most special horse He could make in all ways, not just physical ability.

20 Dec 2011 5:17 PM
Terry M.

I wonder how many bad-tempered Thoroughbreds are that way because they did not get the love, good care, attention and respect Zenyatta has received? I know there are crazy horses out there, but somehow I think Zenyatta's sweet nature must be due in part to the amazing care she has received from everyone involved with her. I have seen many sweet Thoroughbreds, some off the track, being used as much-loved children's mounts. These Thoroughbred horses are so wonderful when they are treated right!

My Christmas wish would be for every horse to have what Zenyatta has been given: love, respect, proper care and understanding. She was even allowed to dance.  It doesn't get much better than that!

20 Dec 2011 5:21 PM
GJU

Great update and beautiful photos. I love feeling like I'm "in the loop" when it comes to Zenyatta. She's the best and so are her connections!

20 Dec 2011 9:08 PM
got2bmarty

Beautiful pictures. She is so majestic. I wish Lane's End lets her fans visit her. I will definitely fly out to Kentucky to see her.

20 Dec 2011 9:33 PM
Jenna M.

She is just the most beautiful being I've ever seen. She's kind and smart. I wish the Mosses the best of luck in the future and a healthy foal in 2012.

I hope one day Lanes Ends allows visitors to see Zenyatta.

I am not surprised she still dances. And I'm happy she has a pal in Tasty.

20 Dec 2011 9:38 PM
affectionately

And she is really starting to look 'preggers'  How nice that the fall has had good weather for her.

20 Dec 2011 10:03 PM
Tabecat

I was very Lucky to have been at most of her races in person here in California and I've never seen a horse like her. I can't wait to see if her foal can be anywhere as exciting as she was. It would be really neat. I'm glad she is happy.

20 Dec 2011 10:38 PM
captainsmistress

You are so right, Terry M! I think some of her behavior is innate, she was just born with an amazing disposition. Clearly, the love and kindness she has always been lavished with has had an influence on her. I to wish that all of God's innocent creatures could be loved like Zenyatta!

20 Dec 2011 11:39 PM
footy231

i wish she was still racing i miss her

21 Dec 2011 4:07 AM
Moodygirl

XOXO to Zenyatta. God I love this horse.   She ALWAYS makes me smile.

21 Dec 2011 7:23 AM
Jan

Mathea,  thanks once again for the lovely pics and updates on Zenyatta.  You surely capture her in all her glory.   She is big and beautiful. Matt's one lucky guy.   Loving Z here in Texas..

21 Dec 2011 7:40 AM
LINDA MARIE

I JUST LOVE THESE ZEN UPDATES!...HER PR PEOPLE ARE KEEPING HER IN THE NEWS...WHERE IS RACHEL ALEXANDRA?...SHE IS BEING KEPT UNDER WRAPS...I CAN'T FIND ANYTHING ABOUT RACHEL?

21 Dec 2011 7:52 AM
MistyGallopMorn

Linda Marie Fiore - Rachel Alexandra is enjoying the same well-earned life of luxury at Stonestreet Farm just a few miles from Zenyatta.  The farm has graciously welcomed visitors from around the world to visit Rachel up close and personal several days throughout the year, and will continue these visits next year after her foal is weaned.  Keep an eye on the farm's website for news, photos, and information on Rachel at their link here -  www.stonestreetfarms.com.

21 Dec 2011 8:37 AM
Agnes

Zenyatta is just the most gorgeous animal ever!  I get so excited when I see another batch of pictures has come through.

I'd really love to see one of her in profile so we can look at her enlarging belly.  There are a lot of people waiting for this foal.

21 Dec 2011 10:30 AM
Karen in Texas

Linda Marie Fiore---Steve Haskin recently visited both Rachel and Zen, and devoted a blog segment to the story. It can be found under his Hangin' With Haskin heading. I'll try to link it.

cs.bloodhorse.com/.../a-day-with-zenyatta-and-rachel.aspx

21 Dec 2011 11:55 AM
Ida Lee

Love your article and photos of the Queen. I follow her every move on her website zenyatta.com but still I can't get enough of this magnificent creature. She is so sweet and loving with her dear friend Tasty. They are such good buddies it's wonderful to see them together all the time. Wow...she does look HUGE!!

21 Dec 2011 12:56 PM
Melissa P

One can never tell what kind of mother a mare is going to be, but I firmly believe she will pass along her sweet demeanor and intelligence to her foals. Another thing you have to love about Zenyatta was the way she took care of herself in her races. Hope that carries through, too.

21 Dec 2011 1:30 PM
Paula Higgins

Love this blog and the pictures! Yes, as Lovedbysweetie said, she was a gift from GOD. I believe as Terri said, horses respond to the way you treat them. The same with many animals, especially dogs and cats. She is definitely carrying to one side. She looks great, happy and well cared for. If nature co-operates, they will keep Tasty Temptation and Zenny together. I hope so since they are such good buddies.

21 Dec 2011 2:34 PM
LouAnn

Thanks so much for the wonderful pics, brightens my day and melts my heart.  I love you Zenyatta!

God be with you always!

LouAnn Cingel from Union, Missouri

21 Dec 2011 3:14 PM
Barbara W

What a wonderful article. I can't believe this is Christmas #2 at Lane's End. Thank you so much for the updates. Love you, always, Z.

21 Dec 2011 3:38 PM
Delrene

Thank you so much for all the little tidbits of info and the great pictures.  Merry Christmas, Happy New Year to all at Lane's End.  We are so very appreciative of all that you do for these beatiful girls and your other horses.

21 Dec 2011 4:12 PM
smartysgal

Zenyatta makes me SMILE!  See, you're doing it just reading that sentence!  Thanks so much for the updates and wonderful pictures.  She and Tasty make good pasturemates.  I'll bet they'll even foal-sit each other's little ones!

21 Dec 2011 4:43 PM
Trevesmom

I love the photos, thank you so much for sharing them with us.  The close-ups of Zenyatta's face are my favorites.  Her eyes are so gentle and so wise.  I agree, I wish all horses had her luck in being surrounded with people who cared so much about her welfare.  And I hope Three Chimneys allows fans to visit one day, much as Stonestreet does with Rachel, when it wouldn't upset her or bother her while she's caring for her baby.

21 Dec 2011 6:19 PM
Serial54

Thank you for sharing more about Zenyatta.  She's stunning! I never get tired of hearing about her and new pictures of her. She is truly special.

21 Dec 2011 6:38 PM
Sue MacGray

Thank you so much for the Z updates. I saw her at the BC 2010, and then the next morning I was lucky enough to see her up close and get some good pictures. I've seen many horses, but to this day never anything like her. So gloriously tall and dappled, she took my breath away.... And now she is looking like a happy, healthy mom. Yes, Zenny DOES make you smile and that's because she has been cared for by such wonderful people. I agree with others who have said that their care has helped make her the horse she was and still is. She is special and a gift to all, from those of us who have been lucky to witness her career to those who are helped by her many "works" :) for charity. Please keep the updates and pictures coming Mathea, we love them!

22 Dec 2011 9:34 AM
Stellar Jayne

Mathea,

Thank for the beautiful pictures and update on Zenyatta.  It was the best Christmas present I could ask for!

She looks healthy and happy sharing life with Tasty.

Terry M, I couldn't have said it better if I tried!

Happy Holidays everyone!

22 Dec 2011 11:07 AM
LuvsZ

What a great Christmas treat to fina another article and wonderful pictures of Queen Z.  To me she is a horse of a lifetime, horse of my century.  Just looking at her makes me smile!  I hope you have the opportunity to visit her after little Z/B is born.  To be sure, thousands of eyes will be peeled to the news waiting news of her new foal.  By the way, the camera STILL loves her...Matt is one lucky guy and I'm sure he knows it.

22 Dec 2011 7:17 PM
maryann727

Thank you Mathea for the update and thank you to all for the wonderful comments honoring this most marvelous mare.  Zenyatta continues to steal my heart and inspire those who love her.

26 Dec 2011 11:34 PM
Tiz Herself

Saw War Horse yesterday and the pic where Zenyatta's looking past the man's shoulder... looks as majestic as the one on the War Horse poster.

Wonderful holiday treat to see these, thanks so much. Found interesting enough that there is an ARG filly 2010 by Johannesburg that is named Zanyetta... thought that was neat. May be good luck? Know there will ever be one Z, but you never know!

28 Dec 2011 3:08 PM
Deltalady

Thank you for the beautiful photos of her and some updated tidbits.  Appreciate so much news of Zenyatta.  She will never go out of fashion! Can't wait to see her new baby, along with that of her pal, Tasty.  Just curious what has happened to her other buddies she was with most of the year until the past few months, when Tasty was introduced and the others just were no longer around.

01 Jan 2012 1:17 AM
Erin

What a sweet way to start the New Year with this wonderful article and the pictures of our Big Girl. I am so envious of those who are fortunate enough to have personal contact with her. 2012 will be so exciting watching her raise her first baby, as well as  witnessing her little sis Eblouissante's racing debut soon.

01 Jan 2012 2:17 PM
Tiz Herself

Seeing as Jan 1 is the Birthday of all Thoroughbreds, Happy Birthday Zenyatta!

01 Jan 2012 11:08 PM
Michael Desormeaux

Zenyatta you are the greatest! You are loved by many! You earned your happiness out in the pasture. Enjoy yourself girl!

05 Jan 2012 3:07 AM
Tiz Herself

Question because I am not entirely sure, but when would Zenyatta's expected foal date be when she was bred late? May or April perhaps? I cannot wait for the birth announcement! And for RA as well!

16 Jan 2012 6:54 PM
Lisa g

You are so beautiful.  Cannot wait for March 17, for your baby boy.

23 Feb 2012 4:37 PM