Rachel Alexandra and Her Foal

Rachel Alexandra and her first foal, a Curlin colt born on Jan. 22, 2012, live on Stonestreet Farm.

They went out in their paddock on a beautiful and sunny day in Lexington, Ky.

The foal took his lead from Rachel Alexandra, running some, resting some and repeating the routine. The foal is growing fast and now weighs 175 pounds. Friendly and inquisitive, the foal goes right up to visitors and likes having his forehead rubbed.

“Rachel is doing great,” said farm manager Garry Megibben, “and the foal is full of himself. He’s been a great addition.”
Hot Dixie Chick (Rachel’s paddock buddy) had her first foal on Feb. 7 when she delivered a Curlin colt. In about a week’s time, Rachel Alexandra and Hot Dixie Chick will once again share a paddock with the addition of their Curlin foals.

Special thanks to Stonestreet for this wonderful opportunity! Hope you enjoy the photos. I have included a couple of snapshots below but make sure you view the entire slideshow. Then, come back and let me know which one is your favorite in the comments section below. Thanks everybody!

[brightcove videoid="1471643203001"]

Rachel and her first foal
Order this Photo.
Rachel/Curlin foal
Order this Photo.
View Slideshow

SpectacularB

Rachel Alexandra looks wonderful, looks happy in her role of mother to that fine looking colt, and I think I see dapples in that beautiful coat of hers.  Her strapping colt looks very much like Rachel in the conformation photo.  I love the look of expectation on Rachel's face in photo #3 as she heads into the paddock with her foal following.  Your photos capture a beautiful moment in time of one of the most beloved race mares ever.  Thank you.

17 Feb 2012 7:47 PM
Susie

You all must have the most fun job in the world!

17 Feb 2012 8:21 PM
skyfire

I like Picture 5:  look at him extend!!  Mr. J would be so proud!!

17 Feb 2012 8:28 PM
trackjack

Anne,

Thanks, great photos.  I really like #6, poetry in motion.  He's starting to look like a 'little Curlin.'

17 Feb 2012 8:45 PM
LAZMANNICK

Simply gorgeous, mother and baby.  This is one of the reasons why I love this sport so much.

17 Feb 2012 8:47 PM
Karen in Texas

Thank you! Rachel looks as though she really enjoys being a mother and playing with her foal! I think I like pictures 5 and 6 the most. He does look like a little Curlin!

17 Feb 2012 9:06 PM
LINDA MARIE

FABULOUS PHOTOS...THANK YOU FOR SHARING...I CANNOT DECIDE BETWEEN #2 AND #14...I LOVE THEM ALL!

17 Feb 2012 9:31 PM
Fran

Wonderful pictures.  I think my favorite is #14.  I see both Mom and Dad in this very special little one.  May he grow up healthy and sound and may he always be safe.

17 Feb 2012 10:28 PM
Paula Higgins

Wow these are just gorgeous!!! What a beautiful little guy he is!! Rachel looks simply stunning, healthy and happy, running with her boy. Thanks so much for these. They made my day. It will be wonderful to watch him grow up.

17 Feb 2012 11:01 PM
PomDeTerre

These photos are treasures!  rachel looks fantastic- less than a month after foaling, she is lean and dappled out beautifully.  And that baby- just awesome!  Thank you.

18 Feb 2012 7:37 AM
breeze10

Thanks to all, connected, for sharing these absolutely great photos!  It is so great to see Rachel and baby....I just can't wait to see race!  I think he is destined to be "a Great"! Best wishes to All and again...Thank you for sharing "one of life's treasures".

18 Feb 2012 8:52 AM
Agnes

#6 is the most beautiful photo but I love # 12 also.  What a joy all the photos are. I'm very grateful to be able to see Rachel A. as a new mother with her sweet foal.  I hope the baby will be as fast as his parents.

18 Feb 2012 9:27 AM
Oldie

Absolutely beautiful collection of photos.  #3 is my personal favorite, but there isn't one to dislike in the bunch.  So far this colt looks like a runner, beautiful bone, robust knees and hocks, and so much leg!  It will be fascinating to watch him grow.  Thanks to all who made it possible for us to see these pictures!

18 Feb 2012 9:33 AM
Señora

I particularly like numbers 6, 8, and 14 showing Rachel and her colt in motion. All the photos are lovely. Thank you for capturing the images and sharing them. I am happy to see Rachel looking healthy and strong. When Hot Dixie Chick and her foal join them in the paddock, will you take photos of interactions between and among the mares and their foals?

18 Feb 2012 9:37 AM
Mary in VT

Love these photos! #2 is a great shot and shows how much he is set up like his Momma. Curlin's two rear socks though.

For the record - Bloodhorse can't dwell too much or too often on Rachel Alexandra as far as I am concerned. Or Curlin. Or their cutie pie baby boy.

Oh how I wish Mr. Jackson could have stayed with us long enough to enjoy this foal. <deep sigh>

18 Feb 2012 9:59 AM
smartysgal

Anne, it's just impossible to decide on a favorite!  They are ALL great!  Is it possible to purchase these photos in one package?  They are ALL terrific!  Rachel looks absolutely magnificent (love her dapples!) and her foal is SO cute it should be against the law to have such an attractive mother/son combination!  Only kidding!  Love them, Anne, and thanks for taking the time to post these and thanks also for your great photography!

18 Feb 2012 11:31 AM
Jockeykid

I love the pictures of Rachel Alexandra and her foal. He's going to be one of the most handsome foals in this fleet of foals. And I am glad that Rachel Alexandra is enjoying her new found foal.

18 Feb 2012 11:54 AM
LovedMyAlydar

Thank you for the wonderful photos of Rachel and her foal! Motherhood becomes Rachel and the little guy is just adorable.  Some might say Mr. Jackson was unwise to breed her to an unproven stallion. But he sensed they would create something special. Sometimes you have to go with those gut instincts.  Kudos to him, look what the beautiful result of his dream is.  I bet he is smiling down from heaven.  :)

18 Feb 2012 12:21 PM
quarterhossgal

Great photos of a beautiful mare and her foal.  I love the profile picture of Rachel and little Curlin.  He looks like a winner! Best wishes for continued good health for both of them.

18 Feb 2012 1:37 PM
Alexandra Boyd

Love the pictures! Rachel Alexandra is the perfect mother. she has all the grace and beauty of the world. Her little boy is so beautifal. she is the best mother ever. can never get enough of Rachel Alexandra and everything around her. She is my all time favorite racehorse. all the best to her and her family. hope she lives the best life possible she deserves all of it. GOD BLESS RACHEL ALEXANDRA THE GREAT and all her babies too. the whole world loves Rachel Alexandra. Love alexandra from Winnipeg Manitoba Canada. :)

18 Feb 2012 2:04 PM
Marcia Stephen

Anne, the picture with the bridle tag on Rachel's colt is my favorite. I don't know if you remember me, but I was at the last Visit Rachel Day, and I brought the tags for Rachel and Hot Dixie Chick as gifts. I've already ordered the print.Thank you for posting the pictures.

18 Feb 2012 2:33 PM
Convene

Rachel looks so happy to be a mama, all dappled out and full of beans! Thank you for showing us something many of us will never see any other way. Good luck to this handsome baby and his wonderful mom.

18 Feb 2012 4:03 PM
Sugarfoot

I think Rachel's foal shows a little more depth & width of chest than she does (thanks to Daddy Curlin), but he has her beautiful fluid motion. Congrats to Stonestreet Farm for making him already so gentle & kind. That will go a long way when his training begins. My wish is for the three of them (Curlin, too, of course) to stay healthy, sound, and happy. Now I can hardly wait for Zenyatta's foal!

18 Feb 2012 6:26 PM
Blind Luck

I just love the babies.  This boy is really a nice one.  I could not decide, I think I like the one of him by himself stretching out while running.  Can't wait for next years foal.

18 Feb 2012 10:39 PM
Lydia

Love them all, but I think 4 is my favorite of the colt.

21 Feb 2012 8:27 AM
maryann727

Beautiful!  Rachel looks grand and her foal is an adorable colt.  Foals are such endearing creatures.  Thank you

27 Feb 2012 12:30 PM