Mares in Japan 2012

Fellow racing photographer and journalist, Kate Hunter has the rare privilege of seeing some of the best horses, including mares and foals, from around the world. Kate will share her photos with you in several blog entries. To see Kate’s racing images go to http://photos.bloodhorse.com/Photographers/Kate-Hunter

From Kate: The Yoshida brothers' Shadai and Northern Farms have been on a quest to make a world class racehorse. To do that they have been buying up some of the best bloodstock from around the world, which of course includes the United States. This summer I spent time with some of my fellow Americans as they get used to their new lives in Japan.

Part 1:

Gabby's Golden Gal (2006, Medaglia d'Oro x Gabriellina Giof, by Ashkalani) Gabby won the G1 Acorn Stakes and the G1 Santa Monica Handicap, then was bought by Teruya Yoshida's Shadai Farm for $1.25 million at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky November sale in 2010. She had her first foal this spring, a colt by G1 Dubai Duty Free winner, and the only Japanese horse to beat Deep Impact, Heart's Cry. She is not in foal this year.

Order This Photo

Order This Photo

Gozzip Girl (2006, Dynaformer x Temperence Gift, by Kingmambo) The winner of the G1 American Oaks Invitational Stakes was bought by Shadai Farm privately in 2010. Her first foal is a colt by Triple Crown champion Deep Impact. She is not in foal this year.

Order This Photo

Dubawi Heights(GB) (2007, Dubawi, IRE, x Rosie's Posy, IRE, by Suave Dancer) Winner of the G1 Gamely Stakes and the G1 Yellow Ribbon Stakes was bought by Shadai Farm for $1.6 million at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky November sale in 2011. She was bred to Deep Impact this spring and has been confirmed in foal.

Order This Photo

Order This Photo

Laragh (2006, Tapit x Rose of Summer, by El Prado, IRE)) The G1 Hollywood Starlet Stakes winner was bought by Shadai Farm for $850,000 at the Fasig-Tipton Kentucky November Sale in 2009. She has a yearling chestnut filly by multiple G1 winner Zenno Rob Roy (Sire of Trailblazer, who will run in the 2012 Breeders' Cup Turf) and had a bay Deep Impact filly this spring. She has been confirmed back in foal to Deep Impact.

Order This Photo

Order This Photo

Wickedly Perfect (2008, Congrats x Wickedly Wise, by Tactical Cat) Wickedly Perfect had a short career on the track. She won the G1 Darley Alcibiades Stakes and placed in the G1 Darley Debutante Stakes. She was bought by Katsumi Yoshida for his Northern Farm at the Keeneland January sale in 2008 for $800,000 as a broodmare prospect. Her first foal is a filly by top stallion King Kamehameha (Kingmambo) and she has been confirmed in foal to Deep Impact.

Order This Photo

Order This Photo

Turnbackthealarm

Deep Impact is one lucky stallion!

20 Sep 2012 2:53 PM
smarie

Thank you, Kate, for sharing these wonderful photos! The mares and their offspring look healthy and happy.

20 Sep 2012 5:30 PM
Jockeygirl

So glad to see these ladys doing well!:)

20 Sep 2012 5:49 PM
skyfire

Your first picture, of Gabby and her foal, is the best picture I have ever seen!! I can't stop looking at it...  The expressions on their faces are so poignant!!  Thank you so much for capturing this moment!

Japan is clearly going to be a major presence as a breeder.

20 Sep 2012 9:07 PM
newsline2

Laragh's front feet look rough in the picture. Is it about trimming or something else going on?

Gabby and her foal are beautiful. Deep Impact has a fine group of mares to showcase his siring ability.

20 Sep 2012 9:28 PM
Susan from VA

I too noticed Laragh's front hooves and thought, "Another thoroughbred with bad feet, shelly feet."

20 Sep 2012 10:06 PM
Ellie

Dubawi Heights doesn't look right. All the other mares have good body score, but she looks like there's something wrong. Really nice to see them all again:)

21 Sep 2012 12:11 AM
CHIEF PICAWINNA

An observation that is  obvious

the grey animals dont exibit the same muscle tone to the naked eye as the other ones black,brown etc.Is there a scientific explanation as (just a guess their coat is thicker when they are grey or off-white),or is it something simple, photographers such as the reflection of light off of their coats?

21 Sep 2012 12:19 PM
mz

Just wondering if the Euro's felt the same way as I do when I hear about all the great mares being exported (also, the stallions).

On the other hand, look what La Troienne and Lady Angela and Nasrullah and Ambiorix and Ribot -- and Forli, re: non-Euro -- did for NAm.

Maybe, all in all, not so bad.

21 Sep 2012 3:31 PM
Past The Grandstand

A great "Through the Lens" post! I always love these posts and I very much enjoyed catching up with some mares I adored watching race.

I hope you will enjoy reading about Won Ton Win, a mare with quite the story and a feisty colt at her side! She is featuring on my blog here: pastthegrandstand.blogspot.com/.../a-colts-journey-won-ton-win-and-her-colt.html

Again, a great "Through the Lens" post! Keep them coming! I know I'm not the only one who loves them.

21 Sep 2012 9:53 PM
greengirl

Azeri Azeri Azeri!

22 Sep 2012 10:07 AM
Lmaris

Chief, not sure what you mean.  All these mares have different levels of nuclear tone.  Maybe the patterns of dapples make it difficult for you to see the muscling.    Concerning the feet:  gives a bit of concern that the mare manager at the barn would present a horse to the press in less than pristine condition, especially with the fate of Ferdinand and others considered.

23 Sep 2012 1:08 AM
CHIEF PICAWINNA

Lmaris dont understand what you mean the the brown horses muscle tone is clearly seen while the grays is not,Its not nuclear science.

23 Sep 2012 6:44 AM
Karen in Indiana

Gozzip Girl's colt has such a beautiful face. He looks a lot like Roberto.

23 Sep 2012 10:12 PM
Kyri

Dubawi Heights always looked a bit coarse when she was running here in SoCal. To me, those pictures look typical of her and she seems OK to me.

25 Sep 2012 1:40 PM
Kate Hunter

Dubawi Heights hasn't gotten her momma chub yet either. If I have a chance to see her again next year, I'll be sure to show a follow up photo of her.

25 Sep 2012 8:06 PM
Dooquila

what lovely photos! The top photo is simply gorgeous. I thought the grey mare looked very well and as an owner of greys, they never look shiny or as defined and Ive often wondered why too Chief Picawanna.  They certainly show when they have rolled in their own poop though!!  Perhaps Kate will shine some light on why it seems this way.  The grey mare has a brittle hoof by the look of it but if you look at her other feet and that of her foal there is nothing dubious going on.  I thought light hooves were more prone to this sort of thing anyway.

26 Sep 2012 11:42 AM
Old Old Cat

The Japanese are doing it right.  I'll have another will be a great classic stallion on all continents with the mares that should be available to him.  JPR will get the last laugh, and have another, and another...

03 Oct 2012 4:57 PM
Stellar Jayne

Kate,

I saw these pictures last year and thought how beautiful and well the mares and foals look.  My most favorite of the group is the cold by Gozzip Girl and Deep Impact.  He is just so beautiful and intelligent with an all knowing look.  He is just stunning.

I'm posting on this blog, because I have been trying to find current information (2013) about him such as - how does he look now (pictures), name, or if he has been sold.  I have searched the Japanese sites, but have come up with zero.  That face of his is a heart stopper.

I would really appreciate some info on him.

Thanks,