I do not like Archarcharch's Kentucky Derby Presented By Yum! Brands (gr. I) post down on the rail, but I'm still going to pick him as the Run for the Roses winner. Here's why:
- 1. I saw him Monday waiting to go on the track after the renovation break and was impressed with his poise with all the people gawking and the cameras clicking. He stood there like a pro. Nothing bothers him.
- 2. Jinks Fires is training him like he's going to run 1 ¼ miles. His gallop was so strong one morning that it was timed by the clockers as a work.
- 3. His pedigree is a good blend of stamina and speed.
- 4. He looks nimble enough to avoid trouble and to work his way through a crowd.
- 5. He's a $60,000 Keeneland September sale graduate and it gives a lot of people hope when a relatively inexpensive (just a little lower than the price I paid for my house) horse rises to greatness.
P.S. Watch out for Animal Kingdom, especially now that John Velazquez is aboard. After all his bad luck with horses going out of the race, this is one man who is hungry for a Derby win.