Summertime Fun: Sale 2YOs and Their Names

One of the most fun things about summer racing is watching the 2-year-olds emerge, especially at Saratoga, where many well-bred youngsters start for the first time.

It's also interesting to see how some of the high-priced horses at the juvenile sales do as they make their career debuts. Most from this year's round of auctions already have been named. Following are some you might want to keep an eye on:

The most expensive juvenile sold at public auction this year, the $1.35-million Empire Maker - Half A.P. filly that topped the Fasig-Tipton Florida select sale, is named Betwixt. Sheikh Mohammed's bloodstock manager John Ferguson, purchased her from Murray Smith, agent.

Other expensive horses from that auction that have been named are the colt Empire Taker (Empire Maker - Henderson Band), who was purchased by Robert and Lawana Low for $750,000 from Scanlon Training Center, agent; the colt Forecon (Macho Uno - Champagne Cocktail), who was purchased by Buzz Chace, agent for West Point Thoroughbreds, for $700,000 from Crupi's New Castle Farm; the colt Battle Hard (Hard Spun - Princess Patricia), purchased by Brushwood Stable for $575,000 from Wavertree Stables, agent; the colt White City (Medaglia d'Oro - Bubbling Heights), purchased by Ferguson for $500,000 from Niall Brennan Stables, agent; and the colt Plated (Tiznow - Imaginary Gold), purchased by Lael Stable for $500,000 from Ricky Leppala, agent.

The Pomeroy - Leah's Angel colt that brought $625,000 to top the Barretts March select sale is named Whinston. Stonestreet Stables purchased him from Eddie Woods, agent.

The Flatter - Silence Please colt that brought $925,000 to top the Ocala Breeders' Sales Co. March select sale is named Brigand. Bob Baffert, acting for Kaleem Shah, purchased Brigand from Eisaman Equine, agent. The Bernardini - Turbo Dream filly that brought $500,000 at the same auction is named Eileen's Dream. Formerly known as Sweet Dreams, she was purchased by Lane's End Bloodstock from Niall Brennan Stables, agent.

The Macho Uno - La Defense colt that brought $825,000 to top the OBS spring sale is named Macho Rocket. Hill ‘n' Dale Bloodstock, as agent for Frank Fletcher Racing, purchased the colt from de Meric Sales, agent. The Hard Spun - Light From Above colt that brought $675,000 at the same auction is named Senor Hambone. Hill ‘n' Dale, acting for Fletcher Racing, bought the colt from Hartley/De Renzo Thoroughbreds, agent.

The Indian Charlie - Bally Storm colt that brought $600,000 to top the Fasig-Tipton Midlantic sale is named Ever So Lucky. EQB, agent, purchased him from Sequel Bloodstock, agent.

skyfire

IMO naming a horse is an important responsibility, they are beautiful animals with great dignity, and deserve names that reflect that. For example, besides being fast on the right day, Animal Kingdom has a cool name that made him a horse of destiny. Ruler on Ice is also a great name  (Pants on Fire?  Funny but not dignified!)

27 Jun 2011 8:28 PM
skyfire

IMO naming a horse is an important responsibility, they are beautiful animals with great dignity, and deserve names that reflect that. For example, besides being fast on the right day, Animal Kingdom has a cool name that made him a horse of destiny. Ruler on Ice is also a great name  (Barnmate, Pants on Fire?  Funny but not dignified!)

Of the costly two year olds, Every So Lucky:  great name.  I would have left Sweet Dreams as that.  Macho Rocket is cool.  Senor Hambone?  OMG, what were they thinking??!  !!

27 Jun 2011 8:29 PM
skyfire

27 Jun 2011 9:24 PM
mz

I guess after spending all that money to buy the horse, you don't have much energy left (being too stunned trying to figure out what you just did) to actually think of a witty or apt name.

The only one I liked was Plated.

Of course, my comments are only worth two cents..somewhat off the prices paid for the horses.

27 Jun 2011 10:41 PM
mz

(I got a "Sorry. Something is wrong" message when I sent this the first time ... please excuse me if it comes up twice.)

I ony said that it seems that after someone has spent the big bucks to buy the horse, they don't have much energy left (being still stunned from what they just did at the auction) to think about a witty or apt name for their horse.

The only one I liked was "Plated".

Of course, I may not understand the reasons why a name was chosen otherwise.  Also, remember that my comment is only worth two cents -- a little less than the purchase prices -- and you usually get what you pay for!

27 Jun 2011 10:47 PM
Lorie

Can you tell me what they named that TEUFLESBERG / APACHE BABE colt .He sold at the at the OBS sale not sure what month but Eisumam was the consignor and Paul Giacopelli was the purchaser . hope you have better luck than I did...

28 Jun 2011 12:24 PM
Lorie

Eisaman sold a Teuflesberg/Apache Babe colt in the OBS sale March 11 I was wondering how I could fined out his name I know Richard Giacopelli purchased him . Hope you can help me.

28 Jun 2011 11:18 PM
Linda in Texas

Thanks for the names of these high priced youngsters with the hope of mariah behind them as they learn the ropes of racing. Got to love it.

For a comical name, i hope he has a a good sense of humor, Senor Hambone. Where does that come from? I already like him.

For unusual, i pick Betwixt, love it. Fits a filly like a glove.

For The Indian Charlie-Bally Storm colt, Ever So Lucky is perfect.

And Plated for a Tiznow - Imaginary Gold Colt, i think that is going

to sound great when the announcer calls his races.

I appreciate knowing the names now so that i can begin watching their

progress before they load the gates for their first race.

Thank you.

29 Jun 2011 9:33 PM
annie

Don't like any of the names, they are all terrible.

30 Jun 2011 3:03 PM
Bunny Hinzman

Hi there,

Very cool!  It is always exciting to follow these young horses who sell at auction.

Aside from the subject, I am a 14 year old horseracing enthusiast and I author a blog about everything thoroughbred horseracing.  I think you will enjoy reading my newest piece on juveniles who have sold for top prices at public auction.  Find me at:

bitsnbunny.blogspot.com/.../buys-and-blunders-part-two-two-year.html