Big Sale Yearlings of 2011 Get Their Names

The most expensive yearling sold at public auction in 2011 has been named Powerful. His new owners need to be commended for making a choice that is fitting for a majestic-looking $1.4-million A.P. Indy colt.

It doesn't always happen. There have been times when people, who have gone out and spent seven figures, inexplicably choose a name so bad that it seems to cast a pall of doom over the expensive animal. While the choice might have great meaning to the new owner, sometimes it just sounds silly at best or adds a burden equal to 20 pounds of extra weight in the saddle at worst.

Consequently, it is a relief that Powerful's moniker isn't an automatic mojo-killer. John and Jerry Amerman and Robert Evans, who hinted that someone else also was involved in the transaction, purchased the bay colt from Hill ‘n' Dale Sales Agency, agent, at the Keeneland September yearling auction.

Powerful is the second live foal out of the winning Deputy Minister mare Malka, who is a half sister to 2010 Vosburgh Stakes (gr. I) winner Giralamo, grade II winner Daydreaming, grade III winner Accelerator, and Supercharger, the dam of 2010 Kentucky Derby Presented By Yum! Brands (gr. I) winner Super Saver (by Maria's Mon).  All of those half siblings are by A.P. Indy. Malka also is a half sister to Canadian stakes winner Harborage (by Maria's Mon's 2001 Derby-winning son Monarchos).

There are a number of high-priced yearlings of 2011 that haven't received their names yet. But following are some others that have been christened:

Resurgence, a $1.35-million Awesome Again - Legs Lawlor colt that is a half brother to the winners Clarinet (by Giant's Causeway) and Coto Brus (by Indian Charlie).

Brabbham, a $1.2-million Bernardini - Easter Bunnette colt that is a half brother to 2011 Horse of the Year and champion older female Havre de Grace (by Saint Liam).

Sonoma County, a $1.2-million Street Cry - Forest Music colt that is the third live foal out of a grade II winner and is a half brother to the winner Maclean's Music (by Distorted Humor).

Superfection, a $1.2-million Medaglia d'Oro - Supercharger colt that is a half brother to Derby winner Super Saver and grade III winner Brethren (by Distorted Humor) has retained the name he was sold with so far.

Sugarcraft, a $950,000 Bernardini - Sugar Shake filly that is the first live foal out of a grade I winner.

Gulfport, a $775,000 Unbridled's Song - Dream Supreme colt that is out of a grade I winner and is a half brother to 2007 Hopeful Stakes (gr. I) winner Majestic Warrior (by A.P. Indy) and two other added-money winners.

Romansh, a $750,000 Bernardini - Cologny colt that is out of a stakes winner and is a half brother to the winner Terminus (by Puplit).

Almoonqith, a$725,000 Dynaformer - Bohemian Lady colt that is the second live foal out of a grade III winner and is a half brother to the winner A Shin Carmen (by Giant's Causeway).

Transparent, a $725,000 Bernardini - Habiboo colt that is out of a grade II winner and is a half brother to the winner Quippery (by Forest Wildcat).

Watrugonnadorosie, a $700,000 Curlin - Tears I Cry fill that is the first foal out of a stakes winner.

Argyle, a $650,000 Tapit -Don'tellmichelle colt that is a full brother to 2009 Iowa Oaks (gr. III) and Dogwood Stakes (gr. III) winner Hightap.

Carnival Court, a $650,000 Street Sense - Delta Princess filly that is a half sister to 2011's champion 3-year-old filly, Royal Delta (by Empire Maker).

Linchpin, a $650,000 Elusive Quality - Kobla colt that is a full brother to Quality Road (by Elusive Quality), winner of the Florida Derby (gr. I) in 2009 and the Metropolitan Handicap (gr. I), Woodward Stakes (gr. I), and Donn Handicap (gr. I) in 2010.

Encode, a $625,000 Bernardini - Ava Knowsthecode colt that is full brother to grade III winner Algorithms and is a half brother to four other stakes winners, including grade II winners Keyed Entry (by Honour and Glory) and Justin Phillip (by First Samurai) and grade III winner Successful Mission (by Successful Appeal).

J P Girl, a $600,000 Distorted Humor - Lady Lochinvar filly that is a half sister to grade II winner Master Command (by A.P. Indy) and Canadian and domestic grade III winner Aurora Lights (by Pulpit).

Mr. Jenney, a $600,000 Medaglia d'Oro - Vole Vole Monamour colt that is a half brother to Canadian grade I winner and French group I winner Mrs. Lindsay (by Theatrical).

Pianoso, a $600,000 Bernardini - Nataliano filly that is a half sister to A. P. Adventure (by A.P. Indy), winner of the 2004 Las Virgenes (gr. I) and Santa Ysabel (gr. III) Stakes, and added-money winner Platinum (by Mineshaft).

Which name do you like best?

Lydia

I can tell you which name I do not like:  Watrugonnadorosie

I'll take Resurgence as the one I like the best.  Nice name for an Awesome Again offspring.

05 Mar 2012 11:35 AM
Lydia

Watrugonnadorosie is dreadful.

I like Resurgence (by Awesome Again) best.

Now if only I can get this to post.

05 Mar 2012 11:36 AM
Pedigree Ann

Encode actually uses the names of the parents (in this case one parent) as an inspiration. Alas for the loss of Alfred Vanderbilt.

Naming a horse after motor racing legend Jack Brabbham is optimistic but a good idea; if he goes even a smidgeon as fast as Brabbham did he will be a star.

Was Mr Jenney trying to be a tribute to Stuart Janney? Close but no Cigar.

Chances for something Vanderbiltish lost:

Distorted Humor-Lady Lochinvar

Street Cry-Forest Song

Street Sense-Delta Princess (something like Memphis Cred?)

What would those names be? I don't know, I'm not AV.

05 Mar 2012 11:59 AM
Karen in Indiana

I like Encode the best of the names here.

There is one name that I hear and it makes me mad at the owners every time I hear it and that's Yummy With Butter. What kind of person names their horse that?

05 Mar 2012 12:35 PM
mz

OK, "Romansh" is the 4th official language of Switzerland and a good Jeopardy question -- no one recognizes that language except persons who speak it or who speak close cousins to it (and my family comes from an area in Italy that speaks a close cousin).

I love that they connected the mare's name with the language.  Too bad that when you google "Cologny" it says that there are only 3 native speakers in that Swiss town!

Maybe someone with a knowledge of the Italian cousin to Romansh (Friulian, or "furlan") also wanted to connect the Italian-sounding sire as well.

Anyways, long story short: my favourite.

(On the opposite side: all together now: "The Green Monkey")

05 Mar 2012 5:56 PM
Needler in Virginia

Karen, I can't agree more! What possesses people to name their horse after ducks or pancakes? I've always wondered about the process that goes on, and after hearing some of the less "attractive" names, it must go something like this:

1)  We have a new horse that WILL win the Derby.

2) This horse requires an inspiring name that will go down in the history books.

3) This horse requires a name that shouts speed, elegance, dignity and the "look of eagles".

4)  WAIT! I have the PERFECT names to choose from:  the name MUST be either Schmee or Larry of Florida.

5) Sadly, both those names have already been used (and recently) so I have to come up with something else......maybe Cowhocks?? Bet that one hasn't been used!

"Nuf said..........

My favorite of these new names is Powerful, and it's so simple one wonders why on Earth it hasn't been used more.

Cheers and safe trips to everyone.

05 Mar 2012 10:58 PM
Susan W.

I like Linchpin best.

Watrugonnadorosie is TERRIBLE (what track announcer will want to pronouce it ???).

Pianoso, which menas "softly" in Italian, I think, is a very nice name for a filly, and I like Superfection and its clever combination of two strong words.  C.W. Anderson, well-known Thoroughbred author, illustartor and artist, said that good horses have good names, but good names don't make good horses! ****

06 Mar 2012 6:36 AM
affectionately

If there are 4 syllables to the name with the accent on the third,stay with me folks, then Pi-an-O-so is a very musical name for the filly.  So I agree with Susan W.

06 Mar 2012 10:46 AM
Mary in VT

Watrugonnadorosie is easily the worst name I ever heard. What were they thinking? Since they are a partnership one assumes they want or wanted partners at one time in this horse. Who in their right mind is going to look at this name and trust their judgement? Even a good horse isn't going to make this a good name. Ever. Poor thing. I feel sorry for her.

06 Mar 2012 11:44 AM
edrul427

Sonoma County got a good ring

06 Mar 2012 11:59 AM
daisytrail

I like Powerful and Sugarcraft.  Argyle? Really? Ugh.  But one of the names I hated most was Super Saver.  It sounds like a grocery store.  Might as well name the poor horse Piggly Wiggly and be done with it.

06 Mar 2012 1:33 PM
Larry Ensor

Pedigree Ann

Knowing the pedigree and the people behind it I would bet that Mr. Jenney (Medaglia d’oro ex Vole Vole Monamour) was named in tribute to the late great Marshall Jenney of Derry Meeting Farm in the Unionville area of PA. The 3rd dam Mrs. Jenney (died young) was named for his wife, Bettina, the breeder of this colt and the owner of his half sister Mrs. Lindsay who was named for their daughter, Lindsay.  Marshall was one of the last of the “old school” consignors and breeders those who knew it was all about having fun.  He was extremely well liked by all and known through out the world.  He was a friend and mentor to all, named and nameless.  Just about anybody breeding to Northern Dancer, The Minstrel or the other horses at Windfields Maryland, (yes the greatest American stallion ever did not stand in KY)  kept their mares at Marshall and Bettina’s Derry Meeting Farm. As does George Strawbridge to this day. If memory serves me, Storm Cat was foaled at Derry Meeting as was Danzig, Unaccounted For and many others of note. If a student of pedigree were to walk through their barn in the 80s they would have been able to pet many of the legendary mares of all time.  I worked in the pedigree research for the BBA Ireland in the early 80s and this was pre-computer.  When a pedigree was “requested” it had to be done by “hand”, researched, written and then typed up. Quite time consuming but one remembered everything. Walking through Marshall and Bettina’s barns was like flipping through a file called the “Blue Hens“. Names so famous to me that they almost seemed “made up” and here I was actually looking at the “real” horse.

Mr. Jenney is owned by Mrs. Betty Moran prominent owner, breeder, PA farm owner and friend of the Jenney’s.

06 Mar 2012 8:29 PM
Blondie

It makes it easier for us novices when owners us parts of the dam and sire names!  Easier to trace pedigree!

08 Mar 2012 10:35 AM
Grande Fan

Encode and Pianoso. Ah yes, Mr. V could have taught a class - we DO miss him.

14 Mar 2012 9:33 PM