It's Trivia Time

I’m cramming one more blog in this week, as I’ll be taking a Saratoga break over the next week and a half.

So, enough about Big Brown and Curlin for now. It’s time to delve into something much lighter.

Every so often starting now, just to break up the monotony of my often long-winded comments, I will toss in 10 trivia questions. As soon as you know the answer or think you know the answer to a particular question, send it in, because the first person to send in the correct answer gets a point. The person with the most points by the end of the year will receive...oh, I guess now I have to come up with something. Hmmm. OK, it may sound a bit vain, but considering I have nothing of value or interest, I can send the big winner autographed copies of my bio books on Dr. Fager and John Henry (I've been trying to figure out how to get rid of them). I know it's pitiful, but it just goes to show you how little of value I possess. I also will throw in three baseball caps (unworn, I promise) from the hundreds I’ve accumulated over the years of famous and not-so-famous horses, big races, farms, etc., and, yes, you’ll get your choice of what’s remaining. I also will proclaim the winner the King of All Trivia.

OK, here goes:

1-- Name the only horse to win the two-mile Jockey Club Gold Cup and be voted champion sprinter the same year?

2-- Name the first horse ever to win group/grade I stakes in five different countries?

3-- What horse ran the fastest mile and a quarter by a 3-year-old in the history of New York racing?

4-- Name the filly who made her career debut going four furlongs at Fonner Park in Nebraska and went on to win an Eclipse Award and defeat a Kentucky Derby winner in the process. She also defeated a Jockey Club Gold Cup winner in another race and was second, finishing ahead of a Preakness winner, in yet another. In all, she won 24 of 36 starts.

5-- What horse broke or equaled 15 track records in his career, nine of them carrying 130 pounds or more?

6-- Two part question -- What filly won the NYRA Filly Triple Crown – the Acorn, Mother Goose, and Coaching Club American Oaks, as well as the Alabama, Cotillion, and defeated older fillies and mares in the Ladies Handicap and did not receive a single vote for Champion 3-year-old Filly? Who beat her out, getting every vote?

7-- Hall of Fame trainer Elliott Burch won three Belmont Stakes with horses who competed in all three legs of the Triple Crown, and each time he used the Met Mile as a prep. Name the three horses (two won the Met Mile and one finished second).

8-- What Horse of the Year/champion older horse won four consecutive grade I stakes at four different distances and four different racetracks?

9-- What horse broke or equaled three track records that had been held by Dr. Fager (broke his record), Groovy (broke his record), and Mr. Prospector (equaled his record)?

10—What 2-year-old champion (winner of the Hopeful, Futurity, and Champagne Stakes) and 2-1 second choice in the Kentucky Derby (after winning the Bahamas, Flamingo and Florida Derby) ended his career racing for three years (at ages 7, 8, and 9) in allowance company at Narragansett, Lincoln Downs, and Suffolk Downs in New England? Hint: His two main competitors on the Triple Crown trail are both in the Hall of Fame.

More Trivia

Now, for an extra bonus of trivia. Everyone talks about the tradition of the Triple Crown. Well, it is interesting to note that when Sir Barton, Omaha, Citation, Count Fleet, and Whirlaway won the Triple Crown, there was a gap of four weeks between the Preakness and the Belmont, and each horse had a race in between. When Gallant Fox won the Triple Crown, the Preakness was run eight days BEFORE the Kentucky Derby. When War Admiral and Assault won, the Derby was run only one week before the Preakness. So, actually it was Secretariat who was the first horse to sweep the Triple Crown in the format and the spacing it is run today. So much for tradition.

You’ve heard the term clubhouse turn used often, but do you know how that term originated? In 1870, Pimlico Race Course built a small Victorian-style building for its members that eventually housed the National Jockeys Hall of Fame. Located on the first turn, it was called the Clubhouse. From then on, the first turn at Pimlico became known as the Clubhouse turn, and the term stuck. In 1966, the Clubhouse burned down.

While on the subject of Pimlico, is anyone aware that the Preakness is named after the track’s first stakes winner? But that actually wasn’t Preakness’ main claim to fame. He had a far more profound effect on history.

Preakness won the Dinner Party Stakes on opening day, October 25, 1870. He eventually was sold to the Duke of Hamilton and sent to the Duke’s stud in England. The only problem was that Preakness had a pretty nasty temper that may have been surpassed only by his owner’s. One day, the Duke went in Preakness’ stall and was run out by the cantankerous stallion. Having come out on the short end one time too many, the Duke went into his house, grabbed his gun and went back to Preakness’ stall and killed him. The incident caused an uproar in England, with protests by animal activists. As a result, Parliament passed the first ever animal rights bill. To this day, that bill protects all animals, and is now taken so seriously, we’ve had one of our most prominent professional athletes sentenced to serious jail time for animal abuse. And it all started with Preakness.

*****************

OK, one little mention of Curlin. How revealing is it that in Stonestreet’s fan poll on where Curlin should go next, 89% of the fans who voted came right out and said that he should not race on synthetic surfaces, which means he should not run in the Breeders’ Cup Classic? What does that tell you? The majority 52% so far have voted for him to stay on the grass. Now they should have a poll asking: grass in the U.S. or grass in Europe? It is obvious that the fans applaud Jess Jackson’s decision to scale new, unconquered peaks rather than attempt to win the conventional dirt races, which has garnered only 31% of the votes.

Let’s face it, if Big Brown for some reason doesn’t make the Breeders’ Cup, the Classic will be virtually a replay of the Santa Anita Handicap, Hollywood Gold Cup, and Pacific Classic. There are  four horses (other than Big Brown) who would give the race appeal and meaning: Zenyatta, Divine Park, Duke of Marmalade or Henrythenavigator, and Casino Drive. Would John Shirreffs change his mind and go for the glory? Will Divine Park, arguably the best miler in the country, be able to stretch out that far? Will Aidan O’Brien, despite the terrible memories of George Washington, continue on Coolmore’s quest to win the Classic and send the leading mile and a quarter horse in Europe or the leading 3-year-old miler? And will Casino Drive return to America and finally get to show how special a horse he really is on the world stage?

*****************

With the Whitney and the Hall of Fame inductions next week, congratulations to the old-timers committee for electing Ancient Title into the Hall of Fame. This Cal-bred son of Gummo was as tough and game as they come, and it is only appropriate that he gets inducted on almost the same day (Aug. 4) that he won the Whitney (Aug. 2) 33 years ago. In that race, he set all the pace, while under pressure every step of the way, and battled his way to a gutsy neck victory over the Allen Jerkens-trained Group Plan, the eventual Jockey Club Gold Cup winner to whom he was conceding 13 pounds.

When Ancient Title ran, it wasn’t easy to stand out because of the wealth of talent around, but for six years, he raced competitively on both coasts against the likes of Forego, Foolish Pleasure, Wajima, Linda’s Chief, Group Plan, Crystal Water, Vigors, Royal Glint, Quack, and many other grade I horses. He won at distances of 5 1/2 furlongs, 6 furlongs, 7 furlongs, one mile on dirt and turf, 1 1/16 miles, 1 1/8 miles, and 1 1/4 miles. He ran seven furlongs in 1:20 4/5 as a 2-year-old, and 1:20 2/5 as a 4-year-old, and ran 1 1/4 miles in 1:59 1/5. In the twilight of his career, he ran six furlongs in 1:08 1/5 and set a track record for 1 1/16 miles in 1:40 1/5, both at the age of eight.

goodwin

Answers:

#2: Ouija Board

#3: Albert the Great (Secretariat ran faster, but still had another 1/4 to run ;-)

#5 Man'O'War

#8 Ghostzapper

I like hats!

18 Jul 2008 12:17 PM
meckefan

Steve,

I LOVE trivia!  These are some great questions--challenging but not out there.  In an effort to get on the board first, I'm submitting my best guesses for those questions I think I have some idea about, although some may be wrong.  I'm definitely stumped on a few of them, and can't wait to be able to take the time to find the answers!

Robin

1) Forego

18 Jul 2008 12:45 PM
Briggs

3) Nobiz Like Shobiz

18 Jul 2008 12:51 PM
Briggs

3) oops meant Albert the Great... apparently I can't read!!

18 Jul 2008 12:52 PM
UCLinden

I'm not one that is into trivia, so I'll take a raincheck on that section.

My preference is what is happening today, and how we can make a better future for racing, horses,

horsemen and the fan. Trivia is basically the past.

I'd like to respond to the question you posed about grass ... America or Europe. I would much rather see more grass races as I believe a horse that runs on grass would be bred for stamina rather than speed. That might lead to better quality horses and less breakdowns and injuries. Also, less

material to fly back into the face / eyes of both jockey & horse , and including mud from wet surfaces.

Also, think about this. On grass, it may give closers , come from behind horses more of a chance and add some excitment for the race fans. If you think about baseball or football, fans get excited about teams that come from behind.

Harness racing is the same way , you have that trotter that comes from off the pace.

All in all, I think grass racing has a place in America. Perhaps a poll should be placed in the racing papers at the tracks, let the fans have a say. Thats what we're lacking, fan input. This might be our sport , but we're here to give the public a quality product they want to come out and see , wager on.

Sorry I got away from the main area of trivia; my interest lies in the horse and how can we get back in the public eye in a positive way.

18 Jul 2008 12:52 PM
Briggs

7) Quadrangle, Sword Dancer, Arts and Letters

18 Jul 2008 12:56 PM
Steve Haskin

Goodwin gets one point with Albert the Great.

Robin gets 2 points with Forego and Artax (too late with Albert the Great.

Briggs, too late with Forego.

18 Jul 2008 1:07 PM
Stan

The answer to Number One is:

Ack Ack

Elliot Burch's 3 horse were:

Quadrangle, Sword Dancer, and Arts and Letters.

18 Jul 2008 1:07 PM
Kennedy

#4) My Juliet

18 Jul 2008 1:15 PM
Steve Haskin

This might not work as I had hoped, as several answers that were sent before my response got backed and were posted after mine. So, I will hold off for a while and check the answers later in the day, giving everyone a chance to get ther answers in in the proper order. So far, we have three correct answers -- one from Goodwin and two from Meckefan. I see see Briggs also gets a point for the three Burch Belmont winners.

18 Jul 2008 1:16 PM
Mari

ACK!!!

How did everyone miss the might and amazing Ack Ack??? Hardly arguably, AA may be Charlie Whittingham's greatest training feat. If you get a chance, go read up on this horse, and the master of all horse trainers who conditioned him.

18 Jul 2008 1:18 PM
Kennedy

#10) Top Knight

18 Jul 2008 1:24 PM
odbaxter

2) Takeover Target

18 Jul 2008 1:25 PM
EKrueg

I almost positive that for #6 is Shuvee for not getting any votes and Gallent Bloom beat her out.

18 Jul 2008 1:29 PM
Pat in Canada

While you are trivializing...what is meant by the term "blacktype" (I think that's what it is) when they mention it at the Fasig-Tipton sale?

These people are gooooooooooooood!

18 Jul 2008 1:32 PM
Elena

#2: Dahlia

18 Jul 2008 1:33 PM
Karen2

Steve, I love trivia but am not very good at it. These questions are tough and could possibly get me fired because I spend far to much time on the blog stable and now researching these trivia questions are consuming my time. So far I think Forego is right for number 1 but I am not the first to get that answer. If you ever feel like giving away sympathy prizes, I would love two autographed books. Heck, I would pay for the books but would really want them signed ; )

18 Jul 2008 1:35 PM
Elena

#8:  Kelso

18 Jul 2008 1:38 PM
Steve Haskin

I have not looked at any more answers. I will post all results at 7:15 p.m. EDT, along with full explanations and details of all the correct answers. So far, from what I've seen, you guys are good.

18 Jul 2008 1:39 PM
Karen2

You gotta be quick around here. I had the answer to number 7 only to find Briggs beat me to it. Darn it.

18 Jul 2008 1:40 PM
Karen2

Here is a shot in the dark.

#9-Artax

#10:  Top Knight (?)

18 Jul 2008 1:49 PM
Coy

6. Shuvee / Gallant Bloom

18 Jul 2008 1:52 PM
mdtbred

If it is not Invasor, then it must be Saint Liam.

18 Jul 2008 1:55 PM
Richie

2:All Along

3:Albert the Great

4:Xtra Heat

5:Seabiscuit

6:Mom's Command/Geniune Risk

8: Point Given

18 Jul 2008 1:58 PM
Tiznowbaby

No. 6 two parter: Shuvee and Gallant Bloom

18 Jul 2008 2:03 PM
Laurie

#4 was My Juliet...and the race where she finished second but was ahead of a Preakness winner was the 1975 Omaha Gold Cup.  The third place finisher was Master Derby (the Preakness winner) and the horse that won the Gold Cup was Gray Bar...who had started his three year old career by running for a 5K tag.  (Amazing what gelding can do for a horse.)  Gray Bar was trained by Jack Van Berg.  And it was the very first winner's circle I ever took part in.  :-)

Oddly enough, on May 5, 1975, Gray Bar won the fourth race at Ak-sar-ben.  This reason why this is significant is that it was the race held right after the infamous tornado that almost plowed into the track. A picture of the tornado (taken by track photographer Bob Dunn) can be found here:

www.tropmet.com/.../gal_1975%20omaha.htm

Steve, thanks for prompting a bunch of great memories!

18 Jul 2008 2:05 PM
Dave

#10. Top Knight

18 Jul 2008 2:08 PM
Elena

#6:  Shuvee won the triple crown.  Gallant Bloom was Champion 3-year-old Fily.

18 Jul 2008 2:24 PM
Mary

#2 Triptych

18 Jul 2008 2:27 PM
Briggs

#6)

a) Sky Beauty

b) Hollywood Cat

18 Jul 2008 2:28 PM
Huh

6) In 1969 Shuvee won the CCA Oaks, Alabama, Cotillion, Mother Goose, Acorn and Ladies Hcp. but Gallant Bloom got every vote for champion 3yo filly.

18 Jul 2008 2:30 PM
Chase

I know I'm too late for some of these, but I'm going to go ahead and answer all of them that I know anyways.

1. Forego

2. Exceller

3. Albert The Great

4. My Juliet

5. Kelso

6. Shuvee/Gallant Bloom

7. Arts and Letters, Quadrangle, and Sword Dancer

8. Forego?

9. Artax

18 Jul 2008 2:31 PM
mdtbred

#6 is Shuvee and she was beaten by either Fanfreluche or Office Queen depending on which poll you look at.

18 Jul 2008 2:34 PM
Chase

10. Top Knight?

18 Jul 2008 2:39 PM
Lydia

5-Round Table?

18 Jul 2008 2:43 PM
EKrueg

My computer froze when I did this so in case it didn't get threw #6 is Shuvee and Gallent Bloom beat her out. Sorry if it did.

18 Jul 2008 2:46 PM
Briggs

#8) Skip Away

18 Jul 2008 2:53 PM
Lydia

8-Criminal Type

18 Jul 2008 2:54 PM
Faithful reader

#6 Shuvee-- Gallant Bloom was the champion in 1969

18 Jul 2008 3:07 PM
Bill

Re: Preakness,

Did you know that the origins of the name "Preakness" are kinda sketchy, but I read someplace that it was named after an area in northern NJ named Preakness Woods.  Maybe someday we'll have a Preakness at Monmouth??

18 Jul 2008 3:10 PM
JJD

5. Round Table

8. Forego???

10. Top Knight?????

18 Jul 2008 3:10 PM
mdtbred

Best guess for #10 is Top Knight.

18 Jul 2008 3:12 PM
johnnyvjr

#8 is Invasor.

18 Jul 2008 3:14 PM
johnnyvjr

#10 is Top Knight.

18 Jul 2008 3:14 PM
johnnyvjr

#2 is Dahlia.

18 Jul 2008 3:26 PM
Matthew W

Forego, not Ack Ack, won for best sprinter (#1) Duck Dance I believe was champ sprinter in 1971, although Ack Ack would've beaten him--and yes, Ancient Title! I saw him run many times and he was a tryer and all class--I think 7 for 7 at 7fur against the good ones...

18 Jul 2008 3:37 PM
Matthew W

1) Forego....2) Ouija Board....3) Albert The Great....5) Man O' War....6A) a chestnut Halo filly (Goodbye Halo??) 6B) Genuine Risk....8) Round Table??....9) Ghostzapper??....10....Gen Duke???

18 Jul 2008 3:51 PM
dave

#6 - Sky Beauty/Hollywood Wildcat

18 Jul 2008 4:03 PM
Huh

8) Ghostzapper

18 Jul 2008 4:11 PM
Rachel

1.Forego

2.Ouija Board

3.AlberttheGreat

4.Azeri

5. Round Table

6. Mom's Command and Lady's secret (I live near Mom's farm, the Fuller's)

7.Sword Dancer, Arts and Letters, Quadrangle (was second in met mile)

8. Invasor

10. Top Knight

18 Jul 2008 4:19 PM
Huh

Top Knight is #10

18 Jul 2008 4:20 PM
TerriV

Steve,  This isn't for posting but I didn't realize the other blog was done and sent something - did it just disappear?  Since I'm so new at this I guess I'll have to pay closer attention. The Trivia is great.  Love the info about Preakness.

18 Jul 2008 4:21 PM
Huh

Top Knight's two top competitors in the 69' Derby were Majestic Prince and Arts and Letters.

18 Jul 2008 4:22 PM
Matthew W

#10) How bout Screen King??

18 Jul 2008 4:23 PM
meckefan

Kicking myself for going against my instincts for #2 and posting Exceller when I'd also thought about Dahlia...I'm sure Dahlia's right.  I don't do so well under pressure!!! :-)  Assuming that's correct, congrats to Elena for posting it first!  But I'm still winning those books and hats! :-)

18 Jul 2008 4:47 PM
Steve Haskin

OK, guys, we have our winners. A lot of you had the right answers but didnt get them in in time. Next time, I will let everyone know ahead of time when I will post the quiz, so you get an even start. We're still in the experimental stage. Anyway here are the point getters.

Tied at 2 points -- Meckefan (#1 Forego and #9 Artax), Kennedy (#4 My Juliet and #10 Top Knight), and Lydia (#5 Round Table and #8 Criminal Type)

Tied with 1 point -- Goodwin (#3 Albert the Great), Briggs (#7 Arts and Letters, Sword Dancer, and Quadrangle), EKrueg (#6 Shuvee and Gallant Bloom), and Elena (#2 Dahlia).

Huh gets a 1/2 point for throwing in Arts and Letters and Majestic Prince to the Top Knight question.

I will post details on all the correct answers later tonight that should make it complete and more interesting.

Thank you all for playing along. I take it by the responses you enjoyed it, so we'll keep it going.

Karen, you get your "sympathy prize" for having the chutzpah to ask for the books and for buttering me up by offering to pay for them. E-mail me your address at shaskin@bloodhorse.com.

18 Jul 2008 5:36 PM
Steve Haskin

The actual derivation of the name Preakness, and there are several interpretations, is where the horse got his name. The race got its name from the horse.

18 Jul 2008 7:26 PM
GunBow

Steve, you list Dahlia as the answer to question #2, the first horse to win grade/group 1 races in 5 different countries. After some research, I found that Dahlia won group/grade 1 races in only 4 countries. When she won the Canadian International in 1974, it was only a grade 2.

22 Jul 2008 6:52 PM