Heroes and Flip-Flopping

Although there were only a couple of so-called glamour races this past weekend, there were enough heroes that emerged to make me start having second thoughts about certain subjects I’ve been commenting on. So, in the spirit of the current presidential race I’m going to do some flip-flopping and go from cynical to optimistic regarding these topics.

Although I still despise the name Ladies Classic and have reservations about other aspects of the new-look Breeders’ Cup, I am going to keep a much more open mind concerning the plethora of new races.

Having always been in favor of promoting stamina and giving stayers an opportunity to shine in the national spotlight, I have to admit I got a bit choked up watching the old warrior Evening Attire demolish his field by 8 1/4 lengths in the 1 1/2-mile “win and you’re in” Greenwood Cup at Philly Park Saturday. Now, I know 1 1/2 miles is not really a marathon, and the name Breeders’ Cup Marathon likely will be scoffed at in Europe. But in the speed-crazy United States that’s probably about as far as you can ask horses to go and still come up with a competitive field. So, 1 1/2 miles is fine, at least for now.

Thanks to the efforts of the Breeders’ Cup and Philly Park, Evening Attire, at age 10, has found a new lease on life and is dashing around the track like a sprightly youngster, relishing every one of those 12 furlongs. The New York Racing Association must be commended as well for having the foresight and sense to move the transient and ever-changing Brooklyn Handicap to early June and making it a 1 1/2-mile race, providing our long-winded friends a chance to win a prestigious and historical grade II race. They also have carded a couple of 1 1/2-mile overnight stakes as well – the Wagon Limit and Fit to Fight.

The result of all these changes has been that Evening Attire, who had been crawling out of the gate with little interest the past few years and costing himself any shot of winning those nine-furlong races in which he was forced to compete, now can afford to lag far back and still have plenty of time to get those old legs rolling. As a result, he has won the Greenwood Cup, assuring himself a spot in the Breeders’ Cup Dirt Marathon, if his connections decide to go that route, and has strong second-place finishes in the Brooklyn and Fit to Fight.

Because his trainer Pat Kelly and owners Tommy Kelly and Joseph and Mary Grant have been able to provide Evening Attire with revitalizing R&R on the farm every winter and plenty of old-school tender loving care, the old boy has been able to stick around long enough to reap the rewards of the Breeders’ Cup’s decision to add a marathon race. For Evening Attire, the memories of 2002 don’t seem quite as long ago as they used to. His new-found enthusiasm brings back images of him drawing off from grade I winners Lido Palace and Harlan’s Holiday in the Jockey Club Gold Cup in 1:59 2/5 and trouncing his opposition by eight lengths in the 1 3/8-mile, off-the-turf Red Smith Handicap. He was transported back to the days when the 1 1/4-mile Saratoga Breeders’ Cup was his domain, where he dominated his opponents in 2002 and trounced Funny Cide by five lengths in 2004.

Whether Evening Attire makes the long trek to California is irrelevant. He’s been reborn at the age of 10 and seeing him scampering down the Philly Park stretch Saturday, leaving the likes of Barcola, third to Curlin in the Stephen Foster, far up the stretch was enough to warm the heart and make this weekend a memorable one.

So, Evening Attire, Breeders’ Cup, NYRA, and Philly Park all are heroes.

That brings us to Del Mar. Although I am still a dirt person and would rather racetracks push to improve the safety of dirt tracks first, I will approach the Breeders’ Cup, or I should say the next two Breeders’ Cups, with an open mind and try to remain positive (there’s no other choice) and wait to see how the races play out and how legitimate they are. I’m just not sure yet how I’m going to deal with synthetic track horses when it comes time to vote for the Eclipse Awards. Again, I will try to keep an open mind. I have altered my outlook mainly because of the performances of Well Armed and one of the most unheralded horses in the country, Surf Cat.

Well Armed’s story is a remarkable one. His return from near death and a 19-month layoff, thanks to the perseverance and dedication of co-owner Bill Casner, who actually galloped the horse back to health, adds a great deal of color to the Breeders’ Cup picture. Whether his comeback would have been as successful on dirt no one knows. After last year’s sandbox racing at Del Mar, in which being a front-runner meant a long walk back to the barn, it was good to see Well Armed win on the lead every step of the way, setting strong fractions and coming home fast in a sharp 1:41 2/5 for the 1 1/16 miles. The Comeback Kid, who also has a win in the San Antonio, a second in the San Pasqual, and a third in the Dubai World Cup, is now one the sport’s leading stars and on his way to being a major force in the Classic.

Having been an admirer of Surf Cat since his 3-year-old campaign, I can’t help but marvel at his consistency. This horse never runs a bad race, whether it’s at six furlongs or 1 1/8 miles. From all appearances it doesn’t look as if he likes synthetic surfaces as much as he likes the dirt. He’s just not quite as brilliant or explosive, but that also could be due to an injury that kept him out for 14 months prior to his switch to synthetic. Whatever the reason, he still has won a couple of big stakes, and his fast-closing second in the San Diego was another strong performance. Because of various physical problems throughout his career he’s been strictly a homebody. But now that the big championship races finally have come to him, there are few horses who deserve to win a Breeders’ Cup race more than Surf Cat, whether it be the Dirt Mile or the Classic.

So, Well Armed, Surf Cat, and Bill Casner are all heroes.

Is that enough flip-flopping for one day? I’m beginning to think I’m getting too soft to make it in Blogsville.

Saturday’s racing also produced an exciting new star in Godolphin’s Music Note, who followed up her impressive Mother Goose score by destroying her field in the Coaching Club American Oaks, setting up an exciting rematch with Proud Spell in the Alabama Stakes. And we had a thrilling battle in the Virginia Derby between Gio Ponti, who with his nose victory is now four-for-four on firm turf, including three stakes wins, and Court Vision, who didn’t have the best of luck, and appears a much sharper horse on grass than on dirt.

Tiz is Now

Bear Now’s victory in Sunday’s listed Ontario Matron Stakes wouldn’t seem like that big a deal, but how many weekends have gone by over the past two months that her sire Tiznow did not have a horse win or place in a stakes? The answer is none.

The day before, Well Armed won the San Diego Handicap. On July 12, Tizdejavu won the American Derby and Colonel John finished third in the Swaps Stakes. On July 6, Tizbig ran 2nd in the Dwyer Stakes at 33-1. The day before, Tough Tiz’s Sis finished second, beaten only three-quarters of a length, by Zenyatta in the Vanity after getting blocked in the stretch. On June 27, Tiz Now Tiz Then won the Iowa Derby. On June 21, Bear Now won the listed Hill ‘n’ Dale Farms Stakes. On June 20, Merchant Marine won the Yankee Victor Stakes at Belmont. On June 14, Tizdejavu won the Jefferson Cup. On June 7, Da’ Tara won the Belmont Stakes.

Prior to that, Colonel John won the Santa Anita Derby and Sham Stakes; Well Armed, as mentioned earlier, won the San Antonio, was second in the San Pasqual, and third in the Dubai World Cup; Tizdejavu won the Crown Royal American Turf; Tough Tiz’s Sis won the Hawthorne and Harry Henson Handicaps; Da’ Tara was second in the Barbaro Stakes; Tiz to Dream was third in the La Troienne; and Bear now was second in the Whimsical Stakes and third in the Allaire DuPont Distaff. I’m sure there are others.

And it should continue. Colonel John, Da’ Tara, Tiz Now Tiz Then, and Tizbig could all wind up in the Travers, with the last three all probable for the Jim Dandy Stakes. Well Armed is heading for the Pacific Classic. Tizdejavu is on target for the Secretariat Stakes. Tough Tiz’s Sis is scheduled run in one of the major stakes at Del Mar.

*** Before leaving for Saratoga Thursday, I will post a blog about Secretariat in honor of his 35th anniversary and reprint a feature I wrote for the Blood-Horse in early 2002 that I hope everyone finds interesting.

Pam

I am so glad that Tiznow is getting the credit he deserves.  He will only get better as a sire as the mares sent to him get better.  It still gives me chills to think about both of his Breeder's Cup Classic wins.  Go Tiznow.

22 Jul 2008 11:55 AM
Maggie

I can't wait for your tribute to Secretariat.  Last night, I watched on YouTube the ESPN Classic tribute to him and his Triple Crown bid, and I cried.  I always cry whenever I watch the documentary DVD on him, too.  He was just a phenomenal racehorse.  If I was granted one wish, just one wish, I would wish to be at Belmont Park June 9, 1973 and watch Big Red spread wings!

Tiznow is having an outstanding year.  He's second by earnings to Smart Strike in the stallion standings, and he's doing well with his offspring running on the synthetics.  I'm glad that he is finally getting recognition; I never thought anyone gave him enough respect or credit as a stallion.

He's a perfect stallion to breed to.  Not many stallions these days carry the tale-male line of Man o'War, and he is only inbred once to Northern Dancer about the fourth generation on both the sire and dam sides.  That almost makes him a complete outcross, especially to most Thoroughbreds that are overly inbred.  Tiznow got the classic distances and probably would have relished a longer distance than the 10 furlongs, as his pedigree suggests.

I am glad that you mentioned his success.  He needs that kind of acknowledgement to prove that he is very much a valuable stallion.  Tiznow not only has awesome performers on dirt and synthetics, but he has a standout son that runs on the turf.  Not very many stallions have that kind of productivity with their offspring running well on different surfaces.

I am extremely happy that Evening Attire one!  Going to Colonial Downs to see the Virginia Derby on Saturday, I made sure I found a monitor that viewed Philadelphia Park and see this old man run the race of his life.  And he didn’t slow down, either, for one being very much the elder of about 90% of racing Thoroughbreds.  The old veteran should be a very competitive individual if the owners and trainer point him towards the Breederscup Marathon.

22 Jul 2008 12:10 PM
Steve Haskin

Just a note: Comments are back working.

22 Jul 2008 12:17 PM
Tim R

Couldn't agree more with your comments about Evening Attire. It is the story of the year in racing to me.

Would love to have you come to New Kent next summer for the Va Derby.

22 Jul 2008 12:28 PM
MrsPacker

I couldn't agree more. Horses like Well Armed and Evening Attire give us all a reason to be optimistic.

Always nice to see Tiz recognized, as well. Thanks Steve.

22 Jul 2008 1:16 PM
Wanda

Bear Now hit the million mark with the win at Woodbine what a grinder!Glad to see you are keeping an open mind about synthetics. I watched Woodbine Live on Sunday,they show Fort Erie as well as some US tracks.Big differince Woodbine was dry and the Fort was slop.A horse clipped heels at the Fort and dumped the rider due to track conditions and they broke the 61/2fur track record at Woodbine. Go figure.

22 Jul 2008 1:21 PM
Rachel

I KNEW Tiznow would be a phenominal sire. I'm almost giddy watching the list of his babies' accomplishments pile up. To me he has been a bargain in the breeding shed. Of course it's awesome because he keeps a strong male line for Man O'War, but I love looking at his tail-female line going back to Blue Canary, Black Toney, Tom Fool and other old names...being a police k-9 breeder and an Arabian horse owner I strongly believe in the strength of the tail-female line.

22 Jul 2008 1:29 PM
Mike S

TIZNOW is finally having his breakout year! In 2005 he had FOLKLORE, and that was pretty much it. In 2006 nothing happened, and he only had TIZ WONDERFUL at the end of the year. 2007 was a good year and he started getting some stakes winners, but by the end of the year he a lifetime total of only 9 stake winners. But 2008 has been a banner year where many of his foals are competing at the top of their division.

COLONEL JOHN, DA' TARA and TOUGH TIZ'S SIS are all Grade 1 winners, and all are near the top of their divisions, respectively. TIZDEJAVU is probably the best 3 year old on turf. TIZ NOW TIZ THEN is developing and improving, by leaps and bounds, and won the Iowa Derby. WELL ARMED is one of the top 5 handicap horses. BEAR NOW is the best older mare in Canada. And MERCHANT MARINE looks good in a weak New York handicap division (I hope they take a shot at the Whitney, he could win).

Other promising runners include: TIZBIG, who placed in a Grade 2 recently, so he might improve. SLEW'S TIZZY won a Grade 2 last year and is on his way back, and so is his full brother SLEW'S TIZNOW (placed in Breeders Futurity at Keeneland last year). LIQUIDITY (2nd in Grade 1 Hollywood Futurity in 2006) is on his way back. The promising TENFOLD and PROPHET JOHN are on the work tab again. And let me go on record to say that Eric Kruljac's trainee, BULLSBAY, who won at Del Mar the other day, is going to be a stakes winner.

TIZNOW ranks 2nd in progeny earnings this year, and is now up to a more respectable 14 stakes winners, lifetime. With all the promising runners he has that number should continue to increase. Obviously, TIZNOW is able to get "the big horse" and a great number of horses who can compete at racing's highest level. Some people wrote him off back in 2006, which was way too soon, because this is a sire whose runners need some time to mature. For the most part, they are horses who need a chance to grow up and mature, instead of being rushed into racing too early.

22 Jul 2008 2:17 PM
Mike S

Oh, I forgot to add a final thought about TIZNOW. I think he has shown his ability to sire top class racehorses, and it's time for breeders to start sending him top class mares. I read that BETTER THAN HONOUR was sent to DISTORTED HUMOR this year, but didn't get in foal. Hmmmm....if she's still at WinStar Farm why not send her to TIZNOW?  ;)

22 Jul 2008 2:20 PM
Dave

Steve, thanks for the tribute to Tiznow. The success of his offspring is one of the top stories of the year.

22 Jul 2008 2:28 PM
Loretta T.

Loved your blog on the old boy Evening Attire. I have followed his career since the beginning. Three cheers for us "old ones"! I know your tribute to Big Red will be great.....anxiously awaiting.

May the trot be with you Steve!

22 Jul 2008 2:30 PM
Steve Haskin

This first tribute is mostly reprinting the feature I wrote in 2002 on his old grooms at Meadow Stud, along with some brief recollections of him. I will have another tribute later on.

22 Jul 2008 2:54 PM
joe

Tiznow's gutsy back to back Breeders' Cup victories dominate my "I was there" memories; the 2001 win over Sakhee was in bone chilling weather in a post 9-11 chilling time. In the record heat of Belmont Day this year I did not bet Da' Tara, but I kept looking at that sire i.d. of Tiznow and liked it-including Tiznow's Seattle Slew lineage.  Here's to Da' Tara in the Jim Dandy, and here's to Evening Attire every time he runs.

22 Jul 2008 3:10 PM
Cgriff

Steve,

Evening Attire should be adopted by the AARP as their symbol that gray and older doesn't mean "over the hill and slowing down!"

I love his rocking chair gate and the way he just snuck up the inside and drew off - I was choked up while cheering my head off!

And as for Tiznow?  I have had faith from the beginning that he would make a terrific sire.  With these successful offspring, his book will just get better and we should see some amazing, tough and durable runners in the future!  I'll put it out on the blog for anyone to claim or dispute - Tiznow will sire the next Triple Crown winner!  He's the real deal from top to bottom!

Can't wait to hear about Saratoga and most especially the Secretariat blog!

22 Jul 2008 4:12 PM
Mary

I have always loved the 1 1/2 races. It's why the Belmont Stakes is the highlight of the Triple Crown. I would love to see more "distance" racing in the U.S. Evening Attire is remarkable. I have become really fond of him. I hadn't seen him since the televised 2004 races until I came across a couple of 2008 photos. He looks absolutely beautiful, although he isn't really a gray any more.

I'm also excited about watching Music Note compete this fall. What a stunning victory, and another Grade One winner for A. P. Indy!

22 Jul 2008 4:22 PM
cheryl

A friendly correction to a previous comment :) Unfortunately, Better Than Honor lost an A.P Indy baby in late term.  The owners made the decision to not rebreed her as it was late in the season.  They thought it was in her best interests to give her a rest and start early next year.  I applaud that decision. With this particular mare, I don't think it would matter who you bred her to.  You are almost guaranteed a great racehorse.  She is awesome.

This years Breeder's Cup is going to be very interesting as the playing field will be responsible for a multitude of scenarios and results.  Or will it? :)

22 Jul 2008 5:11 PM
Karen2

Yeah!!! The comments are up and running. I felt like I was missing an old friend.

Love Evening Attire. He is proof you really do get better with age!

22 Jul 2008 5:28 PM
Karen2

Just a note about Smarty... great to see his offspring breaking their maidens. I thought he was a brilliant,fast and tough little horse. Now we get to see what he is passing along.

22 Jul 2008 5:30 PM
Nancy Petrillo

Hi,

Thank you for the warm comments regarding Evening Attire!  I have followed racing for four years now and from the beginning he has been a favorite of mine.  He is just a grand horse and when he runs in New York state, I make sure I'm there.

Best,

Nancy

22 Jul 2008 5:46 PM
tvnewsbadge

Enjoyd your comments about turf. It really is too bad that dirt has become the standard here in America when turf has proven to be such a superior surface the world over.

At my own local track, Colonial Downs in Virginia, the vast majority of races in the current meet have been on turf and folks actually felt cheated the few times that weather or other factors has dictated a change to the dirt track.

TvNB

22 Jul 2008 6:12 PM
Breezing

Not only did The Grand Old Man, Evening Attire win a ticket to the Breeder's Cup, he broke a 16 year old track record! (from The Horse.com) In stiffling heat, too.  I just love that old guy.

Well Armed is another heart-warming story.  For him to come back and win like he did, all I can say is "amazing."

Thank you for blogging about them both.

22 Jul 2008 6:27 PM
cybertron_log

I love Tiznow and am esctatic that he's finally getting the attention he always deserved. He was the Calbred who beat up the world, and now his sons and daughters are eating up the track every big weekend. People HAVE to wait on his babies, especially if they want the success this current year of runners is showing. Best of luck to the Tiznows!

Evening Attire is amazing. He's a true warrior who gives his all every time and loves it every step of the way. How can one not cheer for him? I think I might have pictures of his visit to SA a couple of years ago...it would be fantastic if he came here again.

Music Note is a monster. Can't wait to see her vs. Proud Spell again.

22 Jul 2008 6:48 PM
Kelly S

Hats off to Evening Attire!  It would be great if he can make it to the BC.  Thanks for giving kudos to one of my favorites, Surf Cat!  I, too, have been a fan of his since before his injury, although I have been more of a fan since his comeback.  He is incredibly consistent nearly every time he runs, now 16 times out of 20 starts finishing 1st or 2nd, I believe.

22 Jul 2008 6:54 PM
GunBow

This is in reference to the Trivia Time blog. Mr. Haskin, you listed Dahlia as the answer to question #2, the first horse to win grade/group 1 races in 5 different countries. After my own research, I count Dahlia as having won grade/group 1 races in only 4 countries. When Dahlia won the Canadian International in 1974, the race was just a grade 2. It became a grade 1 the next year. In light of this, I am not sure the actual answer, although I am certain that Sulamani won grade/group 1 races in 5 countries( US- Arlington Million, Turf Classic; Canada- Canadian/Pattison International; France- French Derby; England- Juddmonte International; UAE- Dubai Sheema).

22 Jul 2008 7:23 PM
Steve Haskin

Well, Gun Bow, whether you're right about Sulamani, you get a point for coming up with him and for pointing out my error. Dahlia actually is the one who made the Canadian Int'l a grade I race because they gave it grade I status the year after she won it. Elena, who guessed Dahlia, still gets a point as well. I gotta watch you people and keep on my toes; you're too sharp for me.

22 Jul 2008 7:39 PM
russell maiers

Tiznow, wow, nice comments to a king! Evening Attire, ok lets break a track record at ten! Great article Steve and the best comments i have read. I just wonder if our John Henry isn't still pulling some strings!

22 Jul 2008 8:35 PM
PointGiven

For all those people who complain about racing - - they should take a look at Evening Attire! What a great old guy...

22 Jul 2008 8:53 PM
Clay

Hey tvnewsbadge(what kind of name is this?) If turf is so superior why are the triple crown races run on dirt? All of the big prep races for 2 year olds and young 3 year olds are run on dirt. The only reason young horses are run on turf is if there is not a race available on dirt or the horse is just terrible on dirt and the connections look for options. No disrespect though, I do like to play turf races, but dirt seperates us from the Europeans.

22 Jul 2008 9:38 PM
Bellwether

Pat Kelly & the Old Man...that's sweet...LLTK!!!

22 Jul 2008 9:58 PM
Brian

Great to see some love for Surf Cat. What an under appreciated horse he is. 6 years old, NOT gelded, fought through multiple injuries, and is still competitive. 18 out of 20 races he's been on the board with 9 wins (16 times he's been 1st or 2nd).   I'm with you Mr. Haskin, our boy deserves a Breeders Cup victory.

22 Jul 2008 10:19 PM
normajean81258

Wow, see, told you he doesn't want to retire, he wants to run!! What a great race Evening Attire gave us. What a joy! He may be "old" by industry opinion, but someone forgot to tell him. Talk about impressive, 10 years old.....

an 8 1/4-length victory, 1 1/2-miles and breaking a 16-year-old track record.

The final time was 2:29.90 on a fast main track. The previous track record for 1 1/2 miles was 2:31 flat, set by Laugh a Minute Jan. 4, 1992.

I'd like to take this opportunity to ask for good wishes to Old Friends on the loss of one of their retired racehorses today. President Michael Bowen's email is:

michael@oldfriendsequine.org

Ballindaggin, the stately 23-year-old, New York-bred chestnut who swept the 1987 New York Stallion Series and defeated an international field in the 1988 Molson Export Challenge, was humanely euthanized on July 22 at the Hagyard Equine Institute. The multiple stakes-winner of $946,894 in just 14 starts recently was diagnosed by Dr. Doug Byars as suffering from severe back problems brought on by degenerative arthritis. The decision to euthanize was made in consultation with Dr. Byars, Dr. Hunt and Old Friends President, Michael Blowen. Ballindaggin had resided at the Old Friends Thoroughbred retirement farm in Georgetown, Kentucky for two years. He was donated to Old Friends by Idaho owner-breeders Bob and Robbie Waters who visited him often during his retirement.

"Ballindaggin was one of our kindest, most intelligent residents," said Blowen. "He was farm manager Janet Beyersdorfer's favorite retiree. But he told us it was time. His eyes had turned from proud and courageous to insecure. We wanted him to go with his dignity intact. He'll never be forgotten." A public memorial service will be held later this summer at Old Friends.

This is the proper end for all of our "Old Friends".

22 Jul 2008 10:37 PM
Steve G

This is the sport we love.  The dismay we experience for all that we believe may be wrong with racing, the heartwrench at witnessing racetrack tragedy is the side of coin that flips over to "heads" when an old warrior like Evening Attire blows by the young 'uns and our hearts swell...  It was so "right."

We are passionate about racing & racing seems to have extremes built right in...so I have found myself flip-flopping, as well.

I've gone up & down about synthetic racing surfaces since their inception here...I bashed Del Mar last year for racing that was so "ugly" it was hard to watch...and I have been encouraged this year by what are, at least from the perspective of visual appreciation, better races. (nevermind the cards...that will bum me out again.:))

Steve, I know there was a certain amount of tongue-in-cheek when you spoke of flip-flopping...but I always find it refreshing to allow myself that luxury. Perhaps my cheerfulness is on the rise since this is opening day at the Spa...

23 Jul 2008 8:05 AM
Joe Grant

We are also very happy that NYRA and Philadelphia Park ran these 12F races. Attire does seem to like these races. He came out of the race in great shape and when he arrived in Saratoga yesterday he got off the van with his tail up high and he was yelling. He was so glad to be back home in Saratoga. We are hoping that when the second condition book comes out there will be a long race in there for him. We really would like to see him run again in Saratoga.

As for the Breeders Cup I doubt very much that we will ship him across the country for a $500,000, 1 5/8 race on a synthetic surface.

23 Jul 2008 9:21 AM
Wanda

Thank you Mr Grant for the update on Evening Attire.Please carry on with the odd up date on a horse that has many many fans.

23 Jul 2008 11:56 AM
Davisondad

It's great to see Evening Attire, beat up on the youngsters, it gives us old farts something to feel good about!!

Tiznow's emergence can only be good for our breeding market!  It almost seems weird to see a stud, whose sire lineage does not run through the Darley Arabian, doing so well!!  Does anyone have an educated guess as to how much his fee is going to go up from the $30K?  His offspring that sold at Fasig all went for over $100K.  They were all very nice looking, balanced and tough like their dad!

23 Jul 2008 12:28 PM
m burry

Glad to see Tiznow doing so well. I first noticed Cee;s Tizzy offspring when I saw Budroyle race. Bud was bought as a claimer (as you probably know) and ended up coming 2nd in the Breeders Cup and I won some money. After that every time I saw a Cees Tizzy offspring I bet on it and won alot of times so when Tiznow came along I was estactic at how well he did. I feel there will be alot of good colts in this pedigree.

23 Jul 2008 2:01 PM
Mike S

Did you know that TIZNOW is the leading sire by stakes wins this year? Yup. He has 15 stakes wins.

23 Jul 2008 2:39 PM
Steve Haskin

Thanks for the comments, Joe. I really didn't think you'd ship him all he way out there at his age to run on synthetic, but like I said that is irrelevant. It's just great to see him rejuvenated by these long races. Best of luck with him the rest of the year, and who knows how much longer.

23 Jul 2008 3:12 PM
Evening Attire Fan

Thank you so much for writing about Evening Attire.  I just love absolutley love him. To see him win like just made my heart sing. Love to read anything you write.  I have read your books Dr. Fager and John Henry several times.  They are my favorites and Evening Attire for me rates right there with them.  And thank you Mr. Grant about the update on him and for taking care of him like you do.  It will be a sad day for me when he is done with racing.

23 Jul 2008 3:49 PM
ace

I love the return of the 1 1/2 races.   I fondly remember the Fall Championship Series and seeing giants like Slew, Affirmed and the Bid battling two or three times in a row.

23 Jul 2008 3:52 PM
Steve Haskin

Thank you, EA Fan. The pleasure was all mine, I can assure you.

23 Jul 2008 6:57 PM
Tiznowbaby

Comments work! (Been away from the computer because of Hurricane Dolly). Steve, I'm thrilled because you must have read my mind about Tiznow. He's killing, and I completely love it. Evening Attire combined with Well Armed and Bear Now made it almost a perfect weekend. (just wanted my boy Lava Man to come through).

23 Jul 2008 10:18 PM
Matthew W

You'd have to say the two most memorable races in BC history were Personal Ensign's career closeout and the "Tiznow wins it for America" Classic over Sahkee--and in my opinion the OTHER Tiznow win was the strongest of all the classics--yes, even Ghostzapper's...yes, Tiznow holding Giant's Causeway the whole length of the Churchill Downs stretch, over a strong field and dwawing off together--that was the best, and THEY are the best right now, Tiznow and Giant's Causeway--as sires...Tiznow was truly a great horse, he overcame a lot to win the 2nd classic, ALSO against a strong field...

25 Jul 2008 8:51 PM