A DVD-eelight

TVG has put together a thrill-packed time capsule of Zenyatta in all her magnificence that no doubt will be watched for years to come by anyone who is moved by the power, grace, and sheer determination of the Thoroughbred.

To watch the fledgling Zenyatta explode on the scene in as jaw-dropping a maiden victory as you're likely to see and then follow her race after race in her pursuit of perfection is a journey one likely will never forget.

By the time the curtain comes down on this 14-act masterpiece, a kaleidoscope of unforgettable images will have formed in your mind - that gargantuan stride that never once shortened; that majestic strut following a race that never once failed to end up in the winner's circle; that massive frame that made her foes appear more like tug boats alongside the Queen Mary; those ears that sprung to attention in the final sixteenth as if playing to the crowd and reassuring them the task was well in hand.

In the video, you will witness the birth of a legend at the three-sixteenths pole of her maiden victory as her breathtaking acceleration turns apparent defeat into a resounding victory.

In the 2009 Milady Handicap you will see her ability to shut down briefly in tight quarters along the rail and then shift into high gear in a matter of seconds and engulf her foes in one fell swoop.

You will see her toy with the top-class filly Hystericalady in the 2008 Lady's Secret and then open up 10 lengths in the blink of an eye while galloping out.

You will see her handle 129 pounds on her back in the 2009 Vanity Handicap as if the weight pads were made of Styrofoam instead of lead.

You will see the ultimate example of the will to win as she overcomes a snaillike 1:13 3/5 three-quarters in the 2009 Clement Hirsch and still runs down her opponents with unwavering determination and a desperate final surge, as if she knew exactly where the wire was.

You will see her cruise by the multiple grade I-placed Model in the 2008 Clement Hirsch with such ease and physical dominance it made Model look more like a foal trying to keep up with her dam.

You will witness "poetry in motion" as she goes nearly seven-wide turning for home in the 2008 El Encino and just glides effortlessly down the middle of the track to win with such ease it prompted the normally reserved John Shirreffs to turn to his wife, Dottie, and ask, "Who is ever going to beat her?"

In the 2008 Apple Blossom you will get your only opportunity to see what Zenyatta was capable of on the dirt, as she turns in perhaps the most spectacular last-to-first run of her career, blowing by the defending champion older mare Ginger Punch and extending her lead with every humongous stride.

Speaking of her stride, you will witness it in all its magnificence in the ground level replay of her victory in the 2008 Milady Handicap.

And after her races, you will see her come to a dead stop on the backstretch, lift her head and prick her ears, and stand motionless for several seconds as if to say, "That's it? Aren't these supposed to start getting harder?" Following the Classic, she again stopped, picked up her head as she always does, and looking back at the 12 vanquished males pulling up, answered her own question: "I guess not."

This is the greatness of Zenyatta. It is by watching this video that one truly appreciates just what a perfect winning machine she was. But as shown in TVG's feature "Instant Classic," she was much more than a robotic figure programmed to perfection, answering every command. She had an extraordinary personality that made it seem as if she had been here before in some other life; perhaps on the Ziegfeld stage. How else could she have choreographed such a unique act? She had a prima donna-like swagger about her, and fans would gather before each race to watch her tango around the paddock with moves never before seen. And in the winner's circle that she frequented so often, she posed with such aplomb, it was if she were saying, "Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup."

This clearly was no ordinary horse.

On the DVD, you will hear a number of prophetic comments by TVG analysts and dramatic, memorable race calls by Vic Stauffer and Trevor Denman, as well as Oaklawn's Terry Wallace.

In the paddock of her maiden race, TVG's Ken Rudulph informed the audience that Zenyatta is a "first time starter with a little bit of buzz." Frank Mirahmadi followed with, "There have been some whispers."

Jerry Moss, interviewed by Christina Olivares before the race (excellent choice of interviews), says, "We're just hoping for a good run. John's been careful with her, because we all love her so much." Before long, he would have to share that love with an entire nation."

As the horses were loaded in the gate, Mirahmadi added, "I think Zenyatta, regardless of her performance, is one to watch." Following the race, which ended with Stauffer saying, "You better take a look at Zenyatta," Mirahmadi once again chimed in: "This is a filly with a very serious future."

When she won a first level allowance in the same spectacular fashion, Stauffer announced, "Here is a future superstar."

Denman summed up her historic win in the Breeders' Cup Classic, and her entire career, by concluding his stirring call with, "Un...bee...lievable."

One of the most memorable calls came in the Milady Handicap. As she charged down the stretch to her fifth straight victory, "Stauffer bellowed, "How do you spell perfection? Why try. Let's just watch her run."

Well, we watched her run for nearly two years, and now, thanks to TVG, we can watch her run forever.

There are numerous adjectives we can use to describe this remarkable mare, but no single one does her justice. So, perhaps it is best to condense all the adjectives and all the images seen on the video into one short comment, uttered by Stauffer as she crossed the finish line in the Milady:

"This is Zenyatta!"

Carla Ruth

Where can I get a copy of this DVD?  I can't find it listed for sale anywhere on the TVG website?!

06 Dec 2009 8:41 PM
Steve Haskin

All comments regarding Zenyatta and the DVD, and anything related to that, are welcome. But please be advised that any comments that mention Rachel Alexandra with the intention of initiating another debate will not be posted. Rachel will get her space in an upcoming blog.

06 Dec 2009 8:41 PM
Greg J.

Mr. Haskin,

One word sums up Zenyatta and your words,  "Perfection"...

06 Dec 2009 8:50 PM
Cindi

You go Steve! (On directing the commentary).  I am very excited about this DVD, I think that is fabulous.  It will definitely be one to purchase and remember her by.  Her career deserves to be chronicled in just such a way!

06 Dec 2009 9:03 PM
Kat

They say,

"Timing is everything". . .

06 Dec 2009 9:03 PM
Chicagofan

Steve, thanks for this summary which comes as close to doing her justice as words can.  Where language may fail us, the "experiencing" of Zenyatta is unforgettable.  I was lucky enough to be at the BC this year and last, and have great memories of seeing her in person.

I will never forget last year at the fence in the paddock area when she walked by, and then stopped right in front of us and turned toward us with those ears pricked.  An audible gasp went through the crowd.  She was definitely taking stock of us, not the other way around.  Her very presence, and the way she never looked like she was having to push herself to get a win, are two things I will always remember.  TVG has done a great service by compiling this way to show the progression from Point A to Point Z, so to speak. Thanks for your own insight and respect for excellence wherever it is found, which is always evident in your commentary.

06 Dec 2009 9:16 PM
Abigail from Canada

Hi Steve. Where would a Canadian living in Quebec be able to access this DVD? Is it for sale? Or.....? Thanking you, in advance.

06 Dec 2009 9:27 PM
Lucy

Hey Steve!

Just curious..for those of us who love Zennie and live out-of-state/country, is it possible to buy a copy?  I browsed around a bit but couldn't find any info or whatnot.  Thanks!

06 Dec 2009 9:28 PM
Tim G

Steve, do these catchy story titles just come to you?  I always get a chuckle out of them.

Personally I think that DVD would be a great stocking stuffer, holiday gift for any horse fan!

Your books, the various DVD's like this as well as the Hollywood movies are a must for a collectors library.

06 Dec 2009 9:30 PM
sherpa

so, how do we mere mortals obtain a copy of this transcendent DVD?  I'm tired of watching her amazing races on YouTube.  Gimme Zen on the big screen! :-)

06 Dec 2009 9:38 PM
Greg J.

FYI,

I just got a heads up where to purchase the DVD, Instead of going to E-bay and spending $40-60 dollars for it, You can call the Hollywood Park Winning Colors Gift Shop at (310)-330-7165, It will cost you $10.00 plus $2.38 for shipping...

06 Dec 2009 9:41 PM
Somethingroyal

The carefully chosen words of Zenyatta are poetry to my eyes. I feel truly blessed to have seen  her in person several times this past year. I'll never forget the first time I saw Zenyatta as she was lead into the paddock at Hollywood Park for the Vanity. I've seen many eye pleasing Thoroughbred's over the years. But, seeing Zenyatta for the first time was a jaw dropping moment. I will cherish the memories for as long as live. Thanks for writing such a wonderful article.

Merry Christmas to you and your family Steve!

06 Dec 2009 9:50 PM
sushyne

What a great and humorous article, Steve! You give Zenyatta the exact personality I have imagined for her! I want a copy of this DVD....where/when can we buy it? Perhaps after the Santa Anita event?

06 Dec 2009 9:51 PM
alybar

Watching her race literally brought tears to my eyes.  She truly was perfection in motion.  I don't think there will be another one like her.

06 Dec 2009 10:32 PM
Mike Relva

STEVE

All I can say is thanks!

06 Dec 2009 11:10 PM
Lou in TX

Steve, thanks soo much for your article on our Queen Zenyatta. She is such a joy to watch. Of course since I live in TX, the only way I got to watch her was either on TV or you tube. Would loved to have seen her in person. Love her special personality. One of a kind in my book.

Thanks Greg J for the tip as to where to purchase this video. Will try and get one soon. Yes...I still love the Barbaro Family, first and foremost.

Hope everyone has a wonderful Christmas and a very Happy New Year.

06 Dec 2009 11:47 PM
ZipsSecret

I received the DVD when I went to Hollywood Park last weekend to say goodbye to her, they gave it out as an incentive to come to see her, didn't need the DVD as incentive but it was great receiving it, Thanks TVG and Hollywood Park.

07 Dec 2009 12:02 AM
Swapsfan

Are there two Zenyatta DVDs now? The one given out at Hollywood Park and another from TVG that you just described?  Or are they the same?  Inquiring (confused) fans want to know.

07 Dec 2009 1:08 AM
Deacon

Well said Steve, again. Please let us know where we can purchase a copy of this DVD. Is it out in Blue Ray as well?

Watching her run has been the best 2 years of enjoyment for me in racing for a long time. In 20 years or so we will still be comparing to the all time greats and still remembering.

Merry Christmas to you and your family.

07 Dec 2009 2:00 AM
HUGE UPSET

In your Zenyatta article Your words almost speak face to face with this great mare ,with a double shot of HOIST THE FLAG (pedigree you tought me about long ago)this mare is very strong indeed.wish you would tell us best breeding pattern for her.

07 Dec 2009 8:22 AM
Slew

Thank you Steve.  Zenyatta is not

just a horse...she is a magnificent

unforgettable experience.  :-)

07 Dec 2009 8:28 AM
txhorsefan

Thanks, Steve!  Beautiful commentary as always.  Thanks, Greg J. for the heads up to Hollywood gift shop - I'll stick this one in my own Christmas stocking for sure.

07 Dec 2009 9:15 AM
Vanessa

Everyone:

Write to TVG via their "Contact Us", customer service link and ask them if they are going to post the DVD of Zenyatta for sale.  They are monitoring the requests and if they get enough, they will offer it to the public for sale.  I hope everyone will write to them so that the rest of us can purchase this DVD.  It was given to the fans who came out to Hollywood Park on Zenyatta Day with a paid admission.

Thanks all!!

07 Dec 2009 9:49 AM
Steve Haskin

I believe Greg has answered the question of where to purchase it, but I will look into it further and let everyone know the details.

Tim, sometimes they just come to me and other times I give it a good deal of thought. I feel a catchy head attracts readers, and it brings out the creative side in me :).

Swapsfan, there's only one DVD, the one produced by TVG for Zenyatta's ceremony.

07 Dec 2009 9:55 AM
Stymie

She danced in the paddock, she danced to post, she danced into our hearts.  Her last dance was Classic.

07 Dec 2009 9:56 AM
Rich Ciarletta

Hi Steve.  It does give me goosebumps to read that.  As you know I have experienced the very lows in racing, losing a very promising filly that I loved to a breakdown.  I can tell all those that have not owned horses that it is extremely hard to win one race (at any level) and keep a horse healthy and on the track.  Now I know why the Moss's were so careful with her and I can only imagine how nervous they were during her racing campaign. What she has done at the highest levels of racing has not sunk in yet and it will probably take a few years before we realize how lucky we have been to see her race.  She is one of the greatest of all time and soon people will realize that.  As  you said, it is almost impossible for a dead late closer to go undefeated because they typically need a race to unfold just right.  What she did on many occasions when the tide was totally against her is almost impossible so she is something very, very special.  Add in her very unique personality and how can you not love her if you are a true racing fan.  Enjoy her folks.  There is a good chance we'll never see another like her again.

07 Dec 2009 10:03 AM
Tiznowbaby

Pasturelands, Black Gold, Go For Wand, Personal Ensign, and Genuine Risk got their own books. Ruffian got her own made-for-TV movie. Mariah's Storm inspired a major motion picture. Lots and lots of horses are beloved and admired but never named horse of the year.

07 Dec 2009 10:22 AM
2 time valley player of the year

what a racehorse, like poetry in motion.

07 Dec 2009 10:44 AM
Draynay

Zenyatta is the best California poly horse I have ever seen and that goes back some 3 or 4 years.

07 Dec 2009 10:53 AM
Karen in Indiana

Thank you, Steve, for allowing her to have her own tribute and space. She still brings tears to my eyes and I'm so glad she never had to find out what it is like to loose. My question is - who do you breed perfection to?

07 Dec 2009 11:00 AM
GreyK

Thanks for the DVD review.  It sounds like a worthy tribute to her.  Zenyatta is one for the ages and I hope to be able to get a copy of this DVD.  I wrote to TVG that day they gave it away to complain that some of those "true fans" would be scalping DVDs on eBay and ask them to offer copies for purchase.  I watched the ceremony and saw at least one person holding several copies to be autographed by Mike Smith.

Steve: is it okay to say that the special pinot noir bottling to commemorate Mr. Jackson's filly is quite tasty and was worth the wait?

07 Dec 2009 11:19 AM
Tim G

Steve, know they always get my attention and loved your Bird Bath, splishin and a splashin lead in paragraph. Always read anyway, because I know I'll get a fair perspective and good insight.

Tiznow, you're right and the more of this we get the more it helps the game. The malcontents sure try to get 'creative' in getting their points across but we all know who they are by now. Lets just enjoy this great blog and the beautiful mare we've been privileged to see in our lifetime.

07 Dec 2009 11:20 AM
Curt Larson

There are only 2 other horses I've ever seen in person that created the electricity, the anticipation where people actualy waited hours for their appearance & literaly climbed the trees lining the Santa Anita walking ring to get a view of them. One was John Henry, the other was the short lived star of Landaluce. And then Zenyatta came along.

07 Dec 2009 11:33 AM
Karen in Texas

Thanks, Steve, for a fun tribute!

Greg J.---Thanks for your helpful input as always!

07 Dec 2009 11:34 AM
OldDog

The number Greg gave rings unanswered. The track switchboard operator says that the gift shop is only open race days, the next being December 9.

I called TVG and was told that they are not offering copies for sale, but I urged the rep to let the powers-that-be know that there is a not-so-pent-up demand for them.

I just bought the DVD on eBay.  I know . . . I know . . . but I couldn't help myself.  Merry Christmas to me!

07 Dec 2009 11:39 AM
AMY ROONEY

Thanks Steve,

I am looking forward to getting one.

Also, I have heard there is one of the great Lost in the fog.

Have you heard of this?

Thanks again

07 Dec 2009 12:08 PM
Johnny Slots

As always - outstanding writing, Steve.  With your permission, I'd like to use the first two paragraphs (citing you) in my introduction to "Team Zenyatta" as the recipient of The Big Sport of Turfdom Award in Tucson tomorrow. A movie has to be made about this great horse and the team around her!

07 Dec 2009 12:19 PM
ZipsSecret

AMEN Tim G.

07 Dec 2009 12:19 PM
Steve Haskin

Johnny, what introduction are you referring to? On a blog or something of that nature?

Hi Rich, very well put. You sure would know the downs in the sport. Sometimes, you just have to wait for your highs to come and keep believing they will.

Amy, there is a Lost in the Fog video, but I'm not sure where to obtain it.

Old Dog, e-mail Tony Allevato at TAllevato@TVG and tell him of the demand for the video. He is the executive producer.

GreyK, I wouldn't know, I have not received any wine.

07 Dec 2009 12:41 PM
bon-bon

There are copies of the dvd of the "superstar" on e-bay.

07 Dec 2009 12:56 PM
Greg J.

AMY ROONEY,

The "Lost in the Fog" DVD is a must have for everyone!  You would honestly think the story was a make believe hollywood movie and not a true to life heartbreaking story, It is amazing!  A quote from the Director, John Corey about Harry Aleo: "Lost in the Fog's owner, taught me. He was offered millions for the horse but turned it down because he knew, at his ripe old age, that life experiences were more valuable than any big money offer. At the end of the day, when you're looking back on your life, you don't tally up the money in your bank account. Instead, you recount all the incredible experiences you've had and Lost in the Fog provided Harry with many priceless moments."...

Here is the link to purchase this Great, But bittersweet DVD:

www.lostinthefogthemovie.com/Lost_in_the_Fog_Movie_Main_Menu.html

07 Dec 2009 12:58 PM
Phony JJ

Long live the Queen, the Queen of racing for 08-09, and her memory will surpass her racing career,

Zenyatta, is the most fascinating filly/mare I have seen in a very long time.

I feel so blessed to have witnessed her, you know, I remember Ruffian, and to me Zenyatta is built like Ruffian, and good as she was too.

Zenyatta doesn't need statue's to remember her by, she will always be remembered by her beauty, her dance moves, her highest earning of a N.American filly, and being the first filly to ever win the all male dominant race, the Breeders Cup Classic.

You know, how can anyone describe what she has accomplished in any other words except, AMAZING, TRULY AMAZING.  Yes, we have other fillys/mares that are trying to fill shoes like Zenyatta's, but, I don't believe they will, or can, in months, or years to come. LONG LIVE THE QUEEN, QUEEN ZENYATTA!!!

07 Dec 2009 1:03 PM
AJ Race Stables

Where do you get the DVD, it sounds totally awesome.

07 Dec 2009 1:09 PM
Mike S

I love having horse racing DVD's that showcase the career of a particular racehorse. I have two DVD's that show all the races by SECRETARIAT, although I don't care much for the one produced by ESPN because it only shows stretch runs and not the entire races. I have one of SPECTACULAR BID as well, but I can't remember if it shows every single race or not, I haven't watched it in a while. I have another great DVD of COUGAR II which shows 9 of his wins, and includes appearances by John Forsythe (who also narrates) and Charlie Whittingham. I also enjoy the JOHN HENRY DVD that shows his wins at Santa Anita.

This new ZENYATTA video, produced by TVG and given away at Hollywood Park, is awesome. It's very well done. I love it. And Steve Haskin did his usual masterful job in describing it.

07 Dec 2009 1:15 PM
John C

Amen Steve. I live out here and no horse ever made me feel like Zenyatta and I'm old so I've seen some. Also got the DVD on Zenyatta day and still get a good feeling watching the races she won.

07 Dec 2009 1:25 PM
EQUINE PAPARAZZI

You can get a FREE COPY of the Hollywood Park DVD giveaway  at the Ebay store stores.ebay.com/Equine-Paparazzi when purchasing any of their horse racing home movies.

07 Dec 2009 1:34 PM
Nancy/Ca.

THANK YOU for such a beautiful tribute to our Ca. Queen!!

I was incredibly lucky enough to be at most of her races,be assured you captured what it was like to witness her stunning one of a kind running style,and oh what joy watching her strut her stuff around the paddock! Native Diver loved to pose too,but I never saw any dance moves from him! He was too ill tempered for anything like that. :)

07 Dec 2009 1:35 PM
helsbelles

I'm embarrassed to say how many times I have watched this DVD.  Remember those experiments with monkeys who were given a button to press to receive more heroine... well, that's me with this DVD!  But seriously, Steve you must have watched it many times yourself because you didn't miss a detail in your enjoyable description of it.  On a personal note, Ann Moss makes me tear-up every time she speaks about Zenyatta, as she does twice in this DVD.  During the ceremony at HP I was fumbling around for a tissue because Ann's words got to me again!  Also, I love the BC Classic ISO on Zenyatta. You can really see how agile she is for her size when Mike chooses to jump to the outside of Twice Over (like a ballerina, as Mike described it), rather than split horses.  I have only one gripe about the DVD, it's too short.  I can't get enough of her.

Zenyatta's response to the malcontents:  "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful."

07 Dec 2009 1:43 PM
Householder

It's obvious that TVG felt the love for Zenyatta.  I loved her first C. Hirsh at Del Mar.  She hits the 1/8 pole and starts to cruz not recognizing that another horse is still in front because by that point she is in the center of the track.  Smith pulls her head a little left at which point she sees the horse and takes off running again easily passing.  I believe Smith when he reports that he never really got to the bottom of her.

07 Dec 2009 1:51 PM
Cgriff

What was it that Woody Braun said about Secretariat?  "...More than life allowed."

That fits Zenyatta-  she was more than enough champion for any lifetime!

Thanks for the heads up on the DVD, Steve!

07 Dec 2009 1:54 PM
Carole

As her trainer, John Shirreffs says -- you have to experience Zenyatta.  Your words and the DVD capture the essence of this legendary champion. I have watched the DVD at least 10 times and will add your commentary to it. I have been fortunate to have been present at most of her races. Her BC Classic win left me breathless.

07 Dec 2009 1:59 PM
Virgil

I love what someone said in a comment on another blog about Zenyatta:  Create a new award for her called The Pegasus Award for a horse so special she seems to be another breed altogether.

07 Dec 2009 2:20 PM
Greg J.

Interesting,

Got this notice this morning in my Virtual Stable:

This notice is to inform you that one or more of your horses has worked out.

Zenyatta

Your Comment: Crazy Good!

Date: December 7, 2009

Track: HOLLYWOOD PARK

Distance: Four Furlongs

Time: 50:40 Breezing

Track Condition: Fast

Surface: All Weather Track

Rank: 8/17

07 Dec 2009 2:54 PM
Donna Melendez

Thanks Steve!  Great article, I cannot wait to get the DVD!

"Never underestimate the power of a filly"

ZENYATTA is the QUEEN of power and beauty!

07 Dec 2009 3:00 PM
Virgil

RE Zenyatta DVD: according to a recent Southern California Thoroughbred Rescue post "new Zenyatta ebay items and especially some stunning photos taken by John Chun, signed by Mike Smith and others, will be listed for auction tomorrow. The Zenyatta DVD will be among the items."  SCTR is a non-profit that rescues Thoroughbred racehorses from killbuyers at auctions and the proceeds from the ebay sales go to support them.

07 Dec 2009 3:24 PM
helsbelles

Greg J., I wouldn't read anything into that.  Shirreffs said he will keep Zenyatta's routine as normal as possible and will reduce the amount of oats she is given by a certain percentage until she ships to Kentucky, so that she doesn't wonder what's going on.

07 Dec 2009 3:30 PM
MOKEY

I would like to see this DVD, I have never seen her earlier races, and would bet many others haven't either. As for her workout, they just can't stop working her, they have to get them to slow down, by degrees. I really like the fact that Three Chimney's gallops those stallions everyday.

07 Dec 2009 3:48 PM
Diane J

I saw he worked Zenyatta to "take the edge" off her.  I know she's done enough to retire, but I would really love to see her run a few more times.  It sounds like she wants to as well! As always, I enjoyed your article Steve!  What a great job you have, getting paid to write about the sport you love.

07 Dec 2009 3:52 PM
Sam Anderer

Thanks, Steve, for another beautifully written blog.  In this day and age of horrible grammar, and absolutely no command of the English language coming out of the public schools, your brilliance is a breath of fresh air.

I remember Ruffian and Secretariat, adore John Henry and many others.  But Zenyatta is unbelievable.  She made it look so easy.  I can well imagine Mike Smith thinking he was riding a sofa when aboard her.  The excersize riders and jockeys called Ruffian "Sophie",(if i remember correctly) because she was very deceptive in her motion and stride.

I can imagine Mike Smith having to reset his "clock" and "feel" when he mounted Zenyatta"

I will be adding my request to TVG along with everyone else.  If that fails, maybe a request to Jerry and Ann Moss will get some results.

Again, Steve, thank you

sam anderer

cave creek, az

Thanks again, Steve.

07 Dec 2009 3:55 PM
Greg J.

Helsbelles,

Thanks for the head's up!  Also, Just read this regarding her breeze from the Thoroughbred Times:

Trainer John Shirreffs said he hoped the workout would “take the edge off” Zenyatta, who was retired following her victory in the Breeders’ Cup Classic.

Owners Jerry and Ann Moss elected to leave Zenyatta with Shirreffs in Southern California through at least part of the winter, instead of sending her into cold temperatures in Kentucky, where she will be bred.

“She’s doing very well,” Shirreffs said.

Zenyatta will parade at Santa Anita Park on opening day, December 26.

07 Dec 2009 3:55 PM
da3hoss

I don't think we ever saw her in a race long enough on a track with a stretch run long enough to be able to see her truly open up...I've only ever seen one other horse with a stride like hers, and that was in old race videos...

Too bad such a young, vibrant athlete will now have be "barefoot and pregnant" the rest of her life, ;-)

07 Dec 2009 4:19 PM
Bill Daly

We are all truly blessed to bear witness to the greatness of this mare.  In fact, we have been double blessed this year.  We wont't see the likes of either again anytime soon.  2009 has definitely been the year of the distaff set.

07 Dec 2009 4:35 PM
Greg J.

MOKEY,

I know this doesn't come close to replacing this DVD, But, Here are ALL 14 of Zenyatta's Victories, Starting from the top of the stretch of each race, Enjoy...

www.youtube.com/watch

07 Dec 2009 4:44 PM
TerriV

Thank you so much for this information.  I can't wait to watch this DVD.  I have the Secretariat that shows all his races and can't watch it without plenty of tears, just from the huge swell of emotion he generates in my heart.  I know it will be the same watching Zenyatta's races.  She will touch our hearts forever.

07 Dec 2009 4:50 PM
Householder

How do you spell perfection?  Zen-ya--taaaa!  Can't wait until opening day at Santa Anita.  I'm glad they chose to bring her once more to the site of her biggest victory.  I loved seeing the odds posted once again.  Even money on Hysterical Lady in the Lady's Secret!  Many obviously thought this would be Zenyatta's first loss.  I also love Christina Olivares' interview with Jerry Moss about the "back side" buzz prior to her maiden score.  But my favorite moment has to be Sherriff's description of her Apple Blossom score.  The folks back east asked him "So...this is the big undefeated mare you shipped back?"  Wow.

07 Dec 2009 5:20 PM
mikoo20

i went to hollywood park on zenyatta day and picked up 5 copies.... i will be putting 4 of them up on ebay, let me know when you want me to put it up?

07 Dec 2009 5:29 PM
herehorsey

I just bought a great 10+ hour ZENYATTA Time Capsule from HORSERACINGDVD.COM - a one-of-a-kinder. Check it out. Shows all of her races most in their entire televised broadcasts plus too many to mention other short and lengthy segments on ZENYATTA including all her works leading up to both BC's. Too much to mention - an instant classic!

07 Dec 2009 5:31 PM
somethingroyal

Greg J,

Thank you for sharing the heads up information. I'm really going to miss Zenyatta at Hollywood Park. My photo shoots were scheduled around her racing.

07 Dec 2009 5:41 PM
LeeAnne

I've seen the TVG Instant Classic show with Zenyatta and it is indeed, fantastic.

07 Dec 2009 6:01 PM
Virgil Fox

Greg J. -

Also got the Virtual Stable mail earlier today. Surely was not expecting that.

"Your Comment: Crazy Good!"

My comment was "Champion".

As we have seen, even more so in the past few weeks, there are no shortage of venerable / honorable words or phrases used used to describe Z.

da3hoss -

I hear Meydan has quite a long stretch.  :)

- Peace

07 Dec 2009 6:18 PM
tanzkd

Hey Steve, loved you piece on Z - had to go on ebay & buy 1 DVD - please tell Amy Rooney there was also another  DVD on LITF done by Golden Gate Fields in 2006 - bought one back then from them - don't know if they still have anymore - but worth asking them.

07 Dec 2009 6:18 PM
RickS

Everyone that wants to buy a copy of the Zenyatta DVD, don't overpay on ebay, you can buy it at hollywoodpark.com. A portion of the sale price will go to CARMA, a California horse rescue.  They are also thinking of having a second run of the DVD.

Now, if anyone would like to purchase the picture on the cover of the DVD, please let me know...

07 Dec 2009 6:27 PM
Ragsy

OH STEVE!!!!

what a perfect story about Classy Zenyatta...truly a Classic! Zenyatta really lights up my heart...  she brings tears, for I love her just like everyone else..I will order tomorrow several of her DVD'S and give some for gifts at Christmas...

Thank "YOU"  and Greg J. thanks for the phone number.....

Can you possibly tell me where in Florida "Quality Road" is staying, he left Belmont before I could send healthy treats to him...

Get well Summer Bird!!

07 Dec 2009 6:58 PM
diastu

I hope the DVD includes the charming and cute bit from BC day with the "Dancing With The Stars" theme, including the judging by the British fellow. It was just too cute. She is awesome and I can't wait to get the DVD.

07 Dec 2009 7:18 PM
Ragsy

Greg J. your such a nice person!!

what a beautiful commentary to Zenyatta.....I would love to see her tango again....Zenyatta had to know where the wire was because she won...

Steve, YOU are a precious jewel in this crazy world we live in.

07 Dec 2009 7:43 PM
Ida Lee

I'm going to miss seeing this incredible creature. Zenyatta will always have a special place in my heart, not just because of her magnificent talent, but her playfullness and the obvious joy she took in running (and kicking major butt) always brought a smile to my face. I've already told my husband what I want for Christmas and it's any and all things Zenyatta. I cannot wait to see the DVD or that perfect photo of her to hang next to the photo of my other cherished mare Ruffian.

07 Dec 2009 7:44 PM
Cgriff

da3hoss,

You get my "laugh line of the thread" for this blog!

I never thought of it in terms of "barefoot and pregnant" - but that made me smile!

And you are right - it is a little sad...but I think we should look at her as a "Queen supplying heirs to the kingdom" rather than just a "barefoot and pregnant" gal.

Much more elegant and appropriate, no?  ;)

07 Dec 2009 7:57 PM
helsbelles

Greg J., da3hoss, Virgil, do we dare to dream about Meydan?!  If there was ever a mare to do such a thing...

07 Dec 2009 8:13 PM
Aluminaut

Great article Steve!  Some comments:

I was so impressed with Zenyatta's smooth gliding trot at her Hollywood Park tribute appearance a week ago.  I hadn't noticed that before.

Horses are "let down" gradually when they retire from racing.  Zenyatta was geared up physically and mentally for racing, and believe me, oats make a big difference.

I'm so curious who Zenyatta will be bred to.  We had a 17 3/4 hand mare and we bred her to small and medium sized studs and she had to stand in a hole.  Sometimes large mares carry such a large foal even so and have reproductive issues.

Let her team enjoy this part of her life; you know they'll be sure she's well cared for....

Zenyatta doesn't need to keep racing, she's has nothing more to prove, and has treated us all to her magnificence.  We are so fortunate.

07 Dec 2009 9:17 PM
Justine

I am so grateful to see her in last year's Lady's Secret and this year's Breeders' Cup. She is electrifying, and a real charismatic figure. I'm going to miss our Queen Z.

07 Dec 2009 10:46 PM
David R.

Just when she finally gets her well deserved national attention her career is over. If only she could race just one more year....

07 Dec 2009 10:53 PM
Paula Higgins

I just won it on eBay for $34.00. It is the one they gave out at the park. Can't wait to see it. Thanks Steve for telling us about the DVD's.

07 Dec 2009 11:18 PM
stormy

Hi, I enjoyed the Zenyatta DVD. I collect horseracing DVD's and this is one of the best. I hope a DVD of Rachel is also made. Both these fillies are one for theages and to have DVD.s on both would be fantastic.

08 Dec 2009 2:11 AM
Deacon

Steve: I wish to ask you a question. Is "I Want Revenge" back in training or has he been retired. I tried to find out but I exhausted my efforts. I just don't know where to look for this information. Sorry for asking you this question on this "DVD" blog paying tribute to the Queen.

Thank you............

08 Dec 2009 3:27 AM
wilson

Ghostzapper, Tiznow and Zenyatta come to mind immediately when one thinks of the words Breeders' Cup.

08 Dec 2009 3:50 AM
Grandefan

Amen! We have all been so very fortunate being able to see the queen during her amazing reign. The DVD will serve to remind us ...if we ever forget. I was awed to see her win the '08 distaff classic in person as she is something to behold. Had to watch the '09 thriller on TV, but she tore through the 52" flat screen with ease. This is horseracing at its zenith. Make that Z a capital. This is Zenyatta.

08 Dec 2009 7:41 AM
Wayne A. LeBlanc

Zenyatta is a great horse and champion. I love to watch her

compete.She is in a class by her self.I hope to buy this DVD  about her. Please let me know how to

get a copy.

Wayne LeBlanc

08 Dec 2009 7:57 AM
Serena

Glad to hear this DVD is coming out...In years to come it will be a treat to replay again and again, especially since we in the east & midwest probably didn't get to see Z's races live.   I treasure my "Jewels of the Triple Crown"  and need to convert it to DVD format. Things like this are a gift to the fans moreso than anyone else. I wish there were even more highlight films like this.....

08 Dec 2009 9:17 AM
Steve Haskin

Deacon, there has been no official announcement, so I can't say anything for sure, but for now, if you're hoping to see him return I don't believe you'll be unhappy with the news when it is announnced.

08 Dec 2009 10:06 AM
Virgil Fox

helsbelles -

"If there was ever a mare ..."

True dat.

We can always dream (Tapeta, right?), but I think our dreams regarding Zenyatta have already come true.  I kinda feel guilty for even thinking about it.

Was the first thing I thought of when da3hoss mentioned a 'long stretch'.  Five synthetic track furlongs of fans, fine dining, condos, mega-malls, theaters, private boats, that enormous gold trophy, etc., etc., etc.

Hey, its all in fun.

She is the Zen Master.

- Peace

08 Dec 2009 10:32 AM
Slew

question, and thank you Steve

for a promising response.  I am

so looking forward to the return of

I Want Revenge.

While most thought Friesen Fire's

return was lackluster, it looked to me as though his connections

were just having him run, and didn't really want to push him on his first time back.

I would really love to see Zen's

DVD, and will throwing hints at my kids for Christmas.

08 Dec 2009 10:54 AM
KYFan

da3hoss, it's a catch22 with these super equine athletes.  On one hand her large size as a female allowed her to compete with males, the cream of the crop, on the other hand that is just the thing that is so hard to manage. These oversized horses runnning on fragile legs. Then you have these hard trying horses that refuse to lose and well, she's done everything asked of her by the humans and they love her enough to put aside their probable desire to see her keep on winning.

Like someone said, what else can she do to thrill the crowd? A selfish wish by some to see her go head to head with others?

She's 5, would be running as a six year old when we barely get to see others run at 4 if even.

Then if she retired and was bred, the groups that have an outcry against breeding these mares past a relatively young age would deprive the world of some of her progeny, possibly an even greater runner.

Sure, not too many have reproduced themselves on the track, but maybe she'll be the first? Hey lets hope for a TC winner in just over 4 years, wow.

Just hope she passes the ham gene and the dancing ability on to a few of them.

08 Dec 2009 11:20 AM
Lupe Aranda

THANK YOU, STEVE, THANK YOU FOR YOUR AWESOME COVERAGE OF AN INCREDIBLE RACE HORSE, ZENYATTA!

I can hardly wait to have that video and have an evening with my fiends and family on what true horse racing is all about!!!

A lover of Zenytta and Alexandra and all those incredible horses that "God built"

08 Dec 2009 12:19 PM
Alysse

I think the most amazing thing about Zenyatta is not that she is just a win machine, but living, breathing fire.  You wouldn't think a horse of her size would be able to have a personality bigger than her body, but Zenyatta absolutely does.  Even though I only got to watch her race twice, I'll be forever grateful for those two races where I saw a champion become a legend.

08 Dec 2009 12:24 PM
Dyan

There is only one DVD produced by TVG for Zenyatta Day at Hollywood Park on 11/29. A percentage of each DVD sold goes to CARMA to help horses in need.  It is available at the Hollywood Park Gift Shop for $12.53 (includes tax, shipping & handling), or $10 if purchased on track.  Please be careful if you purchase it elsewhere as there are reports of pirated copies selling for as much as $30...the risk being that they may not even play properly!  The Gift shop is open Wednesday through Sunday.

08 Dec 2009 1:16 PM
Steve Haskin

Stay tuned on the purchasing of the DVD. I may be hearing something official from TVG shortly. If I do, I will relay the information on here and on the main website.

08 Dec 2009 2:17 PM
Backside Sweetie

Watching Zenyatta fills me with happiness for days.She is so the best example of the charming personalitys of thoroughbred horses.sometimes when you work with them and watch the ones race that you have rubbed and cared for,its hard to think of getting as much joy and excitement from watching one you have not.Zenyatta is the best to have done that for me.I buy every picture tape every horse from our barn so I can have that happiness and joy whenever I need it.Please,let me know,Steve how we can get that DVD.

08 Dec 2009 9:05 PM
Karen2

Love Zen...can't wait to get the DVD...Merry Christmas to me : )

08 Dec 2009 11:07 PM
Judy ~ Burbank, CA

TO: Rich Ciarletta

Your words captured my feelings! You brought tears to my eyes... and I thought only Steve could do that! :-)

TO: Curt Larson

Amen to your John Henry comment! "...created the electricity, the anticipation where people actualy waited hours for their appearance..."

I've been telling people for a long long time: If John Henry had a "baby sister" he would have chosen ZENYATTA.

I'm the person who made the QUEEN ZENYATTA poster for the Lady's Secret. For the BC Classic my poster read: "ZENYATTA A TREASURE". The crown at the top of the poster now hold 14 jewels, for her 14 for 14 wins. Need I say more...

I love you Queen! Make some beautiful babies, just like you!

08 Dec 2009 11:08 PM
congogreygal

anyone one looking for the dvd.......check ebay. that's where I got mine.

09 Dec 2009 9:24 AM
Householder

What's amazing is how she blows by Grade 1 winners like they are Claiming $62,500s.  I did not know quite how fast she was at 1 1/16.  When I watched the DVD I saw 1:40 and 1:41 (with a new track record at Del Mar).  I think she could catch RA.  She also did not get much of a weight break in the Breeders Cup from the boys and managed to run 2:00.  Poor Gio Ponte's jockey just glances to his right and does not even have time to get to the whip.  She just blows by.

09 Dec 2009 12:29 PM
Pam S.

Many good posts on this blog.  KYFan, yours from Dec. 8 is one of my favorites.  I hope the queen foals a TC winner too, one who will "dance into history."

09 Dec 2009 12:40 PM
between friends

Thank you, Steve, for another outstanding column that should alert TVG to the fact that there are many, many others outside of California who would love to put the Zenyatta DVD in their collections. And I hope if  there is a second run, as someone suggested, they use part of the proceeds to help retired racehorses to find new homes (I was fortunate enough to own an off-the track Thoroughbred who had found a new career as a show horse and lesson horse and it was an amazing experience.)

Rich Ciarletta is absolutely right about how difficult it is to keep a racehorse sound. One of my friends sent two New York-breds to the track. The first filly pulled a check ligament. The second filly bowed a tendon.(Both are doing well in new careers off the racetrack.)  Jerry and Ann Moss and John Sherriffs deserve high praise for their management of Zenyatta.

Hope your holidays are merry and bright (and all your Kentucky Derby picks right.)

09 Dec 2009 1:22 PM
Greg J.

FYI,

If you want to go this route to porchase the DVD, I just got off the phone with Hollywood gift shop at (310)330-7165, I purchased six of them for a total of $76.06, Which works out to $12.68 each including shipping to Connecticut! Which ever way one decides to purchase, It really is a no brainer...

09 Dec 2009 7:16 PM
beniceorleave

Anyone know what hours the Hollywood gift shop is open?  I know about dark days. I'm on the east coast.  Thanks

09 Dec 2009 7:25 PM
WWSTP

Great description of Z's career and her undeniable greatness!  I do wish they would keep her running yet I am totally intigued with following the babies she'll give birth to.  In reality, her next career will be thrilling as well... following her as she is making life and passes on her genes; and I hope they all come out pawing at the ground and doing the straight leg strut!

09 Dec 2009 7:35 PM
Backside Sweetie

Greg J Thanks so much for your info about calling Hollywood Park,I did that today and I will be Receiving my Zenyatta in a couple days.Ho Ho Ho Merry Christmas to me!Greg,thanks again and you too Steve.You are my Santas this year.

09 Dec 2009 7:49 PM
Lou in TX

Yea!!! I ordered my DVD today. I'm not sure exactly what time the gift shop opens but I'm guessing 9:00 a.m.  I'm going by the time that the gift shop opened at Church Hill Downs. I finally got some one to answer the phone around 4:30 PT. It was 6:30p.m. here in TX. I called all day beginning at 11:00 CT. Thank goodness they had some DVD's left.

Can't wait for it to arrive.

Hope everyone here has a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

09 Dec 2009 9:19 PM
Barthart

I, too, ordered a DVD from Hollywood Park yesterday (the 9th). When the woman answered the phone, I said "I bet you're being inundated with phone calls today.....". She laughed and said "YES, we certainly are!" I can't wait to see Zenyatta in all her glory and to have something that can be played and replayed for years to come. Thanks to everyone for letting us know about this.....and Merry Christmas!!

10 Dec 2009 12:08 PM
Karen in Indiana

I just ordered mine also. After calling for 2 days and not getting through, I sent an email & got a reply back to keep trying, that they were VERY busy. When I did get through, the woman was very nice and said they'd get it out today. Can't wait - her Breeders Cup race still gives me tears of joy.

10 Dec 2009 2:18 PM
Diane J

Barthart,

How longdid it take you to get through to the gift shop?  I keep calling and all I get is a ringing phone.

10 Dec 2009 2:44 PM
sherpa

I want to add my thanks to Greg J. who was kind enough to post the HP Gift Shop's phone number, and others who encouraged us to keep trying there.  I finally got through today (around 4:30 PM EST) and my DVD will be mailed in the morning!  I'm sure it will be all Steve described and more.

Steve, I've re-read your commentary numerous times and think this is my favorite part:

"She had an extraordinary personality that made it seem as if she had been here before in some other life; perhaps on the Ziegfeld stage. How else could she have choreographed such a unique act? She had a prima donna-like swagger about her, and fans would gather before each race to watch her tango around the paddock with moves never before seen. And in the winner's circle that she frequented so often, she posed with such aplomb, it was if she were saying, "Mr. DeMille, I'm ready for my closeup.""

It's true, I've never seen anything like the queenly charisma she emanates, and doubt anyone else has (or ever will again, I fear).  Too easy to anthropomorphize such a vivid personality.

helsbelles - lol'd at your line "Don't hate me because I'm beautiful."  You snagged it! :-)

10 Dec 2009 8:07 PM
Laura

I contacted Amazon.com to see if they would push TVG to release this DVD to the public. I directed to this site but it wouldn't hurt if others would do the same.

11 Dec 2009 12:06 AM
GunBow

Wow, so glad I was at Hollywood Park for the Thanksgiving weekend. I got to see former Frankel and now Humberto Ascenio horses win both the gr.1 Citation on Friday and the gr.1 Matriarch on Saturday.  The Matriarch was extra special because it was won by Ventura, one of Bobby's favorites, in the final start of her grand career.  In addition to seeing Ventura go out a winner, Hollywood Park offered all fans that Saturday a choice of gifts(I chose the pair of Hollywood Gold Cup glasses, one celebrating Native Diver's Triple the other Lava Man's 3-peat) and free admission to fans wearing USC or UCLA clothing(the football game was later that night).  Then on Sunday, in addition to seeing the gr.1 Hollywood Derby and gr.3 Miesque, there was the Zenyatta retirement ceremony, with every fan receiving a TVG poster of Zenyatta with "Girl Power" on the front and her career past performances on the back, as well as the DVD.  As a fan, it was a great way to cure that post-Breeders Cup melancholy.

11 Dec 2009 4:04 AM
Steve Haskin

I was told by an executive from TVG that they likely would be selling them, and he was supposed to get back to me about promoting it on this website, but I havent heard back from him, so I don't know what they are doing.

11 Dec 2009 4:51 PM
txhorsefan

Steve, you're the best!  Thanks for keeping after TVG to open up the sale of their DVD-eelight!  I've been waiting to purchase direct from the source, but since I'm so impatient, I think I'll go ahead and try the Hollywood Park Gift shop and then if TVG offers it later, I can get myself another one.  My birthday is the week before Christmas, so I can cover both of them - happy/merry whatever to me!

11 Dec 2009 6:22 PM
Barthart

Diane J--

I guess I was really lucky because when I called Hollywood Park Gift Shop on Wednesday (early afternoon) I got an immediate answer. I had read on this blog that the gift shop is only open on racing days (Wed. through Sat., I believe) so those who tried calling before Wed. wouldn't have gotten hold of anyone. My DVD arrived today and I can't wait to sit down and watch it!! Long live these wonderful creatures!

11 Dec 2009 10:11 PM
Ragsy

Hello Steve

After giving over 22 thousand HINI and Seasonal Flu shots, I have made sure folks in Oklahoma have heard about the beautiful horses Queen Zenyatta and Princess Rachel Alexandra....most all had not heard about these marvelous horses...such a shame...Both are such a joy!!

12 Dec 2009 10:10 AM
Rider77

Got the Zenyatta DVD yesterday and watched it twice.  Thanks to the writer who gave the head's up about the gift shop at Hollywood Park.  It took a while to get an answer there but the lady was VERY nice.  The DVD came in three days.  Mr. Haskin, your description of the DVD is spot on. Perfection really is spelled Z-E-N-Y-A-T-T-A!  Happy holidays to all!

15 Dec 2009 9:25 AM
Susan

Hi Steve,

Has ANY horse ( male OR female) EVER ended their UNDEFEATED racing career with a win in the Breeder's Cup Classic? I can't think of one other than Zenyatta. If a horse can be undefeated and win America's top race, and not be awarded HOTY, then WHAT good are the BREEDERS CUP CHAMPIONSHIP races???? Just sayin'....

15 Dec 2009 5:51 PM
Karen in Indiana

The Zenyatta DVD came in yesterday, but I wasn't able to watch it. Did tonight and it still brings tears to my eyes. She's beautiful!! Awesome!!! Perfect!!!! It still makes me laugh to see her rear end next to Mine That Bird's going around the first turn.

15 Dec 2009 11:02 PM
Sharon

I purchased my Zenyatta: A Living Legend DVD on Ebay and only paid 28.00 for it. Getting another for my friend and paid 24.00 for it. I watched and I still can't believe the awesome power this filly has. She will be missed on the track. I wonder what the Mosses will call the first offspring of Zenyatta?

27 Dec 2009 10:45 PM
Amy in CT

Does anyone know if these dvds are still available at Hollywood Park?  I tried for the last 3 weeks, but was never able to get through.  I think Live Racing may be finished at Hollywood Park, is the gift shop open during simulcast racing?

Thank you, and Happy New Year!

01 Jan 2010 9:39 AM