Countdown to the Cup: Blind Sided

There is nothing blind or lucky about Blind Luck. When it comes to seeing the finish line she has 20/20 vision, and despite her running style, she makes her own luck.

In Blind Luck and her California compatriot, Evening Jewel, respective winners of the grade I Alabama and Del Mar Oaks, you have a pair of fierce fillies with a flair for the dramatics.

Blind Luck epitomizes what this sport is all about -- she humbles the experts, inspires the story tellers, and captivates the fans with her indomitable will to win. And she does it all despite her humble beginnings and undesirability in the sales ring, on the track, and privately. In short, she was the horse no one wanted.

Continue reading this story, or feel free to share your comments below...

TradingPlaces

Blind Luck is what racing is about, taking on the best no matter when or where, and always showing up. LAL also deserves recognition for his season. He has run twice less than BL, but he has not run in the same state more than once this entire year. The Cali 3 year olds are simply tearing up the tracks far and wide this year and are such a joy to watch.

23 Aug 2010 6:58 PM
Sammi P

I love Blind Luck. She always runs the best race she can run. It's like Zenyatta, coming down the stretch and it seems she is beat, no way she can win, then at the wire it's her nose thats in front. She's gutsy and game, kinda like two other division leaders (Lookin at Lucky and Zen). She has a story behind her, and I love that more then anything else about her. I thought she should have been Champ. 2 Filly last year and I hope she gets Champ 3 Filly this year.

23 Aug 2010 7:52 PM
MK in FL

What an awesome story! I saw her win at Delaware Park and it was breathtaking!

23 Aug 2010 8:04 PM
Paula Higgins

Another great piece Steve. I like Blind Luck alot and the fact no one wanted her, makes me like her even more. She has a ton of heart. I wonder how she would match up with the Queen?

23 Aug 2010 8:12 PM
sherpa

It's about time! I've been in Haskin-withdrawal! I guess you spent the interval making a lot of phone calls, huh? ;-)

Great recap of a great weekend of racing, sir.  I was hoping you'd tell Blind Luck's story.. she's such a special filly and obviously we want to know everything about her!  Now knowing her dam's story, too, makes Blind Luck seem a child of Destiny.

Thank you!  Stellar writing as always and I'm looking forward to all the comments to come...

23 Aug 2010 8:12 PM
sodapopkid

Sammi P:

"Everything comes to those who wait"

I believe BL, Zenyatta, have had to wait,  and they will be rewarded this year.

23 Aug 2010 8:18 PM
Dino Romano

It's about time we get an article with real, first hand, background information about horses we enjoy following.

KEEP UP this type of writing and maybe racing has a future.

Maybe, someday, Hollywood will even make a good, non schmaltzy movie about racing and the incredible athletes both equine and human.  I dread the upcoming "Secretariat" movie given the trailers I've seen.

Maybe Micheal Mann's "Luck" will be an improvement.

Keep it up Steve Haskins.

23 Aug 2010 8:21 PM
GoldenBroom

She is a super nice filly but I don't think she has a prayer if she runs into big Z or Rachel (if Rach has her game back which she sure seems too).

23 Aug 2010 8:23 PM
sodapopkid

Sorry, SammiP,  I meant to say, "Good things come to those who wait".

23 Aug 2010 8:34 PM
GJU

Great story on Blind Luck, Steve. It's exciting to watch her run and I think the Alabama has been one of her most exciting to watch. Man, she gets up to the leader and I keep waiting for her to blow past the competition, and she usually manages to get up, but only by thiiiiis much! Nice mention about Evening Jewel too. Her story is a great one with her owner being ill. Loved watching Jim Cassidy on tv rooting her on right in front of John Shirreffs who had the second place finisher in the Del Mar Oaks. Yep, it's girl power all the way, people!! There are some nice ones running these days.

23 Aug 2010 8:35 PM
Cynthia

I love Blind Luck. She is such a gusty filly. Her connections should be given credit for shipping her anywhere and letting all her fans see her in the flesh. Hands down she should win the 3 year old division no matter what takes place the rest of the year. Congrats to Evening Jewel who also is a very special filly. Steve I think the female divisions have captivated racing more so than the males this year.

23 Aug 2010 8:36 PM
MRO

I follow pedigrees, so it makes a huge statement to those who know me when there is an exception. In this case, I was hoping Blind Luck would beat my Slew greatgrandaughter Devil May Care. It takes a special horse to sway my loyalties and Blind Luck is something very special.

23 Aug 2010 8:40 PM
Secretariat

Funnier than hell. Larry Collmus at Monmouth this weekend:

Mywifenosevrything vs. Thewifedoesntknow

www.youtube.com/watch

23 Aug 2010 8:47 PM
Bill Daly

To win like she did is a real statement of her ability.  Those fractions were glacial and she just ran down a very good filly in Havre de Grace.  I thought Jeremy got the jump on Joel and it looked like a winning move until Blind Luck kicked it in.  I hate to say this since it will only inspire the rabid left coast contingent and I really wish this east coast vs. west coast rant would just go away, but this little filly has a little bit of Zenyatta in her - maybe even more than a little bit.  She is very good.

23 Aug 2010 9:09 PM
John

It looks like the "California" horses might just clean up at the Breeders' Cup in November.

You have these two fillies, one for the dirt and the other for the turf.

Then you have the colts, Luckin At Lucky and Sidney's Candy, again one for the dirt and the other for the turf.

Throw in Rail Trip as the best miler in the nation.

Then top it off with Zenyatta as the best horse in the world.

23 Aug 2010 9:12 PM
Dakota

So happy for Jerry Hollendorfer and Blind Luck. Hollendorfer has been the King of Northern California racing forever and it's great to see him getting national recognition. It's a little bittersweet given that Tuscan Evening should have been running the same day in the Beverly D. This sport can be a crazy roller coaster of emotions but Blind Luck has been nothing but thrills.

23 Aug 2010 10:09 PM
markinsac

HOORAY FOR THE WEST COAST SYNTHETIC HORSES, TEARING THINGS UP! Blind Luck and Lookin At Lucky have had very similiar campaigns.  Both started their careers on synthetic tracks and are now kicking butts.  Now a logical question:  Does synthetic tracks do something to a horse when they are young, toughen them up?  Last year's HOY, Rachel, also raced on synthetic as a 2YO.  It's all theory, but is there something to this?  And if you people have doubts about Zenyatta racing on dirt, think again.  Even her trainer says she's better on dirt.  And YES, just as I was getting a little depressed as Zenyatta's career is winding down, along comes Blind Luck.  Her and LAL will make me continue to go to the track to see in person.  I just hope they come back to the left coast next winter/spring.  If Zen goes in the BC Classin, and she will, I feel Rachel will go to the Ladies Classic, as she is not in the running for HOY.  It would be a great showdown:  Rachel vs Blind Luck!  East vs West, Speed vs Closer!  Damn, I need to get to Louisville in Nov!

23 Aug 2010 11:01 PM
jayjay

Another great article Mr. Steve.  You write articles that are fair, it's refreshing.  LAL and BL have gone on to tackle the best east had to offer and they come through with devastating runs.  The fact that there are not that many 3 yr old races here in California, it makes sense for them to bring their game to the east coast and show what type of horses California has.

The thrilling trio of LAL, BL and Zenyatta will show the nation how to win races come November.  If Dorfer doesn't win the Eclipse this year, I'd say there's an east coast bias.  Oh wait...nm.

24 Aug 2010 1:12 AM
Deacon

Blond Luck, Looking at Lucky and Zenyatta (although only 2 races) are testaments that the great ones can win on any surface. Blind Luck will be a handful in the Ladies Classic even if she is only a 3 year old. Question Steve, has any 3 year year old filly ever won the Ladies Classic? No one comes to mind but my memory isn't as keen as it once was.........

Another great article as well, you sure know how to write, what a talent and gift you have.........

24 Aug 2010 1:13 AM
weekendstorm

Secretariat, too hilarious!  Thanks for posting that!

24 Aug 2010 1:35 AM
Rachel

I laughed at Bill Baker's mention of her tail because I have commented many times on her pure joy of running and that tail flowing behind her...she is pure tomboy athelete.

24 Aug 2010 6:51 AM
Lindsey S

Great article!  Blind Luck is so fun to watch.  I very much appreciate the mention of Paddy O'Prado in here.  That horse has completely stolen my heart.  I think he would have done very well in the Million if they'd chosen to run him in that race instead.  I was a few feet away from him in the paddock at Keeneland for the Blue Grass, and he is a spectacular looking animal.  I am so excited to see what he does the rest of this year, and maybe even more excited to see what he does next year as a 4 year old!  Go Paddy!

24 Aug 2010 7:17 AM
Giddyup

Steve is always at the top of his game when he writes these kinds of articles. No one can relate the personal side of a thoroughbred story anywhere near as good as him. I can't help but wonder how many of those that passed on Blind Luck are kicking themselves now.

I am also wondering when someone at Arlington is going to realize that much of the backstretch racing there is invisible on video due to the excessive tree growth.

24 Aug 2010 9:08 AM
Slew

Before the Alabama, the handicappers were gaga over Devil May Care and her amazing turn of foot.  They said closers don't win at Saratoga (even though Blame already proved them wrong).  No one gave a good word to Havre de Grace.  And then those beautiful fillies made everyone eat their words.  How awesome for Blind Luck, and kudos to Havre de Grace.  It was a spectacular race.  It was thrilling to watch Blind Luck stamp her name on everyone's heart.

And while I must bow to Buick and Debussy and John Gosden, I still feel as though Gio Ponti was blind-sided and never saw them coming up the rail.  If he had, I doubt he would have just loped to the wire.  Debussy has a bullet closing kick, and I really had to admire him.  But my heart was still riding with Gio Ponti, who was the best looking horse in the race.

Ach! My poor I Want Revenge did much better this time, but he's still not back yet.  Paddy O' excelled and I was thrilled for Eclair de Lune and her connections.  I don't think there was a dry eye at the track after the Beverly D.

24 Aug 2010 9:19 AM
Smoking Baby

Deacon.  I've got your back buddy.  Several three year old fillies have won the Distaff (I still have trouble with "Ladies Classic").

Ashado (called it)

Unbridled Elaine (couldn't believe it)

Spain (surprised)

Ajina (surprised)

Hollywood Wildcat (killer race)

Dance Smartly (called it...as did almost everyone else)

Sacahuista (I was there that year but can't remember who I liked.  I guess my memory is also slipping)

24 Aug 2010 10:30 AM
Will

Secretariat, thanks. That was funny I love hearing those funny calls. Get to hear a lot of Durkins.

Better yet the number of views! Over 23 thousand.

Blind Luck is a super nice filly. DMC didn't fire and she didn't look like she wanted to be running. I hope its a one time thing.

Monica if you are reading I have never been anybody but Will on any blog.

24 Aug 2010 10:50 AM
Smoking Baby

OK...That does it.  Dr. Drunkinbum?  Zookeeper?  Laura Higgins?  I say we throw together $11,000, purchase the next Blind Luck, Casual Lies, Funny Cide, etc., give the horse to someone cool (I'm thinking Zito...The dude's a ROCK STAR)and get our picture taken!!!  I've even got a cool name for our stable.  Try this on for size...Hangin' With Haskin Stable (I've seen WAY worse names and Smoking Baby Stable is taken).  I can see the headline now...Hangin' With Haskin Stable's (insert name here) dominates Derby foes.

Hey...I can dream can't I?

24 Aug 2010 11:07 AM
a breeder

What is so inspiring for a middle class breeder is Blind Luck's success despite affordable prices for her sire, her dam and her.  Everyone is talking about downsizing that will result in more quality.  But every breeder at all income levels tries to breed for quality.  Artificially trying to push middle class breeders and affordable stallions and mares out of the marketplace is not the road to success.

24 Aug 2010 11:16 AM
Zookeeper

Who was blind sided? Only the ones who refused to see. Well! I bet their eyes are wide open now. Blind Luck is amazing and is finally recognized as such. About time!

I was impressed with Havre de Grace. There's a filly who is wishing that BL would develop a fear of flying! Without the California filly in there she was winning quite impressively.

As to Devil May Care, at a shorter distance: watch out! I may be wrong, but it seems that 1 1/4 miles is too far for her. Thankfully, as far as she's concerned, most races for fillies are not at that distance. She may also be wishing that BL would stay in California, because distance does not seem to matter to that one.

Thank you Mr. Haskin for telling us the details of BL's humble beginnings. Don't we just love it when a horse "nobody wanted" turns into a super star! Great story, and you tell it SO very well!

24 Aug 2010 11:25 AM
Pam S.

The tale of Blind Luck is very interesting, her name is clever and pairs well with LAL in case they ever mate with each other, and her competitive spirit is a joy to watch.  She would not let Evening Jewel or Havre de Grace get by; each would have a couple more graded wins if not for Blind Luck.

Seems this year all the best stories belong to the girls.  And our leading ladies of last year, who inspired the term Girl Power, are still running.  I'm really enjoying it.

24 Aug 2010 11:27 AM
Elizabeth

No doubt Blind Luck is good and deserves 3 yr old filly this year, so far. When it comes down to it though I still consider Zenyatta to be better. Blind Luck takes the Ladies Classic and Zenyatta takes the Classic at Churchill. :)

24 Aug 2010 12:03 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

The Oaks was spectacular but crushing. Evening Jewel was my bet and included the guaranteed Oaks/Derby Daily Double. How often do you see a race like that in The Oaks and the top two go on to be stars. These are two exceptional fillies. Evening Jewel just beat what I think is a very good group at Del Mar on the turf. They say Devil May Care didn't fire but she has been exceptional. Blind Luck is a winner. You always love to see that because there aren't that many who do whatever it takes to get to the wire first. This is turning out to be a very good 3yo year. Paddy O'Prado is a turf star, and in my opinion the best in the U.S. Lentenor runs today. I think he has a strong turf future. Lookin At Lucky is powerful and another that loves to win. If pushed to a better position in The Derby he could have done what Super Saver did. He could have had a shot at the Triple Crown. He does have a shot at The Classic, health permitting. That's a really nice story about Blind Luck, the filly that nobody wanted. I am a little curious how the term "sportsman" is now equated with shipping a horse around the country. Not all horses can ship without problems, and as Archie Cross said, they wouldn't be able to do it with Blind Luck if she didn't ship well. I will say that it is great that they are able to do that with Blind Luck, but it doesn't always have to do with the trainer being a sportsman or not. It is almost insinuating that a trainer or owner is not a sportsman if they don't ship their star more. Sometimes the horse can't do it without getting sick. I think Paula Higgins said that she'd rather have her trainer be a horseman rather than a sportsman. It's great when a horse is able to ship but I'm not going to say a trainer isn't a sportsman because he is doing what is best for the horse. This was another great article I've just developed a pet peeve about "sportsmen" and shipping. Shipping across the country twice in a year is probably all that Zenyatta can take, and it's a long way from California. If you've got a horse based in Kentucky or the east coast it's a little easier to ship to the big races out there. There is a reason why horses back there haven't done more shipping to the west coast-it's too far.

24 Aug 2010 12:22 PM
bellesforever

Steve you have once again filled us with the syrup that makes us all racing fans.I have loved B.L. all along and do consider her the best 3yo female running ..she has had the most remarkable campaign this year. Paddy has shown us all that he is a real turf expert..LAL too has given us many thrills.We as race fans should be excited because we sure do have a lot of really nice horses to root on!

B.L. has given everyone[east coast and west coast] something to cheer about!

24 Aug 2010 1:21 PM
Lucy

I really enjoy watching Blind Luck and she DOES remind me of Zenyatta, the way she comes from behind and wins, even when things don't really set up for her.  She is a good filly with a great story and who knows?  She may actually be a great filly!  Let's see how she finishes out the year and what happens next season. I will be cheering for her.

24 Aug 2010 1:27 PM
Elizabeth

Dr. Drunkinbum:

Whole heartedly agree about the sportsman vs. horsemen angle. Best arguement for Zenyatta not shipping more and completly makes sense. The horse always comes first!

24 Aug 2010 1:55 PM
Rachel

Dr Drunkinbum, good post about EJ...you know, it takes a "Jewel" to make a BL...without her we would not be talking the same way about either filly! Both wonderful...

I mean, think about it, no one but Sham was anywhere near Secretariat...Sham's class forced the Derby time that still stands today...he is the third horse to run under 2:00...but for him for Secretariat to run at, Monarchos might very well be holding that record!

24 Aug 2010 2:04 PM
Steve Haskin

I have to admit I was one of those who thought Devil May Care was special and ready for her breakout performance. She had a perfect set-up and accelerated beautifully on the turn, but just ran a flat race after that for some reason. She's done it before, but I thought she was past all that. We'll see if an excuse surfaces at some point. With that said, I thought Blind Luck ran a fantastic race and she never ceases to amaze me. She always finds more when she needs it right before the wire. She no doubt is a very special filly.

24 Aug 2010 2:12 PM
Ed

Thanks Steve for a heart-warming  piece on a great filly.  Dr. Dedomenico and I chatted fondly about her win Sunday at Emerald Downs prior to the Longacres Mile.  Many on the east coast still don't give her the credit she deserves.  To me, she runs like Zenyatta, from behind with a relentless valiant push to be first at the wire.

24 Aug 2010 2:48 PM
Sammi P

sodapopkid

You are right. Good things do come to the those who wait. And to those who deserve it. BL and Z have waited, and do deserve it.

24 Aug 2010 3:57 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Smoking Baby

That's a dream of mine too. So you're in if I ever get to do it. How about Haskinite Bar None Ranch? Haskin Blogger Dude and Dudette Ranch. I'm sure we could go on and on. I don't know if you were around when we were naming horses for Steve Haskin.

24 Aug 2010 4:09 PM
Zookeeper

Dr Drunkinbum,

HRTV had an interview with Hollendorfer the morning before the race on Saturday. Struck me as much more of a horseman than a sportsman. Believe me, if he didn't have the horse who can do it, he wouldn't be dragging her everywhere just for the sport of it.

I had only seen short glimpses of the man, so my impression was of a rather dour individual without much personality. That interview showed me a much more pleasant man... heck! he even smiled a couple of times. A "rock star" he's not, but he sure can train a horse and place it where it belongs. Southern Californians have learned the hard way that ignoring one of his horses can be a huge mistake. Now, when he ships, we pay attention. He can't sneak up on us anymore... we're no longer blind nor blind sided.

24 Aug 2010 4:11 PM
Rachel

All the Eastcoaster's around here are crazy over her and we're as east as you can get without getting into a boat...the only bias is in people's imaginations. ♥

24 Aug 2010 4:11 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Rachel

You're right about Sham. Same with Alydar. How many horses if it weren't for one other horse would be considered major super stars? I've given more thought to "tenacious warrior." There are many ways a horse could be considered a tenacious warrior. Certainly setting fast fractions, then perservering through to the end with a great time is one way. Horses don't always have opportunites to go eyeball to eyeball with an opponent of equal talent. Sometimes they are just too good. They either set a suicidal pace (for everyone but them) or blow by the field. Certainly closers have no more claim to the title of tenacious than does a front runner or mid pack presser. Style is not the determining factor. Perserverence, and dogged determination is though. I'm looking forward to this year's Classic more than ever. One thing I do know- A tenacious warrior will win.

24 Aug 2010 4:18 PM
Carl

I know everyone is high on Paddy O'Prado, but what about Sidney's Candy in the mix for top 3 year grass runner. Maybe even top 3 year old, eventually. Sure he has mainly raced at the West Coast tracks, but after his dismal Derby, he has come back as a monster on the turf. He set a record (maybe even a track record) while laughing at the field in his first outing on turf. If he runs like that in the Breeders Cup Mile, he'll be hell to catch.

I always throw out the Kentucky Derby for winners and losers: ref Super Saver/Mine That Bird compared to horses like Point Given, and now Sidney's Candy. I actually think Churchill has a horrible surface that destoys a horses ability to run to form. How many dull performances and losing favorites have we seen over the years from Kentucky. Look at how Devil May Care bounced back to show her true talent after the Derby. Just an observation on my part.

24 Aug 2010 4:48 PM
Smoking Baby

Jerry Hollendorfer and John Sherriffs are both horsemen.  Ernest Hemmingway was a sportsman.

24 Aug 2010 4:51 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Zookeeper

I think you're right. Devil May Care doesn't like 1 1/4. I was like Mr. Haskin, I thought she was ready for a breakout, monster performance and wouldn't lose. She'll be back. So will Lentenor, who came in 3rd today in his return race. I didn't like the ride he got. I still think he's very talented and will prove it. As far as Hollendorfer, I was a Gilchrist fan. It used to drive me nuts how Hollendorfer and Baze won so much. I was usually trying to beat them. He is a very successful trainer and I would assume belongs in the Hall of Fame. He will get there now that he has branched out more, the sportsman and or horseman that he is. I wonder if he ever used chewing tobacco. A horseman chews tobacco, and takes an occasional swig of whiskey. A sportsman smokes a cigar and has a martini or margarita or manhatten. They both drink beer. A sportsman is more likely to drink wine, but some horsemen will too. I hope that clears it up.

24 Aug 2010 4:51 PM
sodapopkid

I don't live on the West Caost by far,  But I love all race horses , Its just I love the closers more, They just bring something thrilling to the race when they are in it.

I am a Zenyatta fan to the end and beyond,   BL will be my girl to . I will follow her next year and let her fill my taste for the closers in the female division like Zenyatta has for the past three years.

Steve, your story on BL is great, makes you love her even more.

Her and Zenyatta, both were the little funny looking foals no one wanted and look how they have turned out.   Unbelievable...  Just goes to show, "The prettiest isnt always the best".

24 Aug 2010 5:38 PM
NJTrotter

Too bad that Blind Luck's connections don't own Zenyatta.  Then maybe we would see "the queen" in the Personal Ensign at Saratoga where she belongs.  Racing needs more horses like Blind Luck.  The kind that doesn't need to take her track (or polytrack) with her.

24 Aug 2010 6:01 PM
Zookeeper

Dr Drunkinbum,

LOL!!! It was clear before. Now I'm completely confused and befuddled!

I'll be at Del Mar on Thursday. There's an event with the partnership that I want to attend and OF COURSE I want to see Runflatout. They tell me he looks terrific and working towards his first start AGAIN. I think it was JAJ who warned me that it could be longer than anticipated for him to get back where he was before he got sick. JAJ was right. We'll see when he works again. His last work was shorter and slower, on purpose. He's not being rushed, for which I'm very grateful.

24 Aug 2010 7:30 PM
sherpa

ZK - thank you for posting some news about Runflatout!  I've wanted to ask, but these blogs move so fast (or sometimes comments updated so slooooowly) that I rarely see a response to my posts until the next evening.  And by then, the conversation has moved on..

I have complete confidence that your patience and faith in him will be rewarded!

24 Aug 2010 9:14 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

ZK

Thanks for keeping us updated !!!!

24 Aug 2010 10:36 PM
Paseana

Wow Carl!  With all due respect, it seems to me that your comment on Churchill Down's surface is over-generalizing at the least.  I prefer to think that you are referring to the Kentucky Derby itself and not to Churchill Downs generally.  And even then, the problem you mention with horses not being able to run to form has infinitely more to do with the 18-19-20 horse fields of the last decade or two than any problem with the surface itself.  Many horses don't run to form in there because they're either bounced around like ping-pong balls, or, specifically in the case of a front-runner type like Sidney's Candy from the 20-hole, is carried impossibly wide for the first 3/4s to a mile and has NO chance.

The point is that you can't blame the form reversals that we've seen in recent years in the Derby on Churchill Downs' surface.  2001 is the only year, in my opinion, where the surface itself had a real impact on the result.

Sorry Steve for going off topic here a little bit, but I needed to respond to Carl's general comment on Churchill Downs.

And I'm left-coast!  I live about 2 miles from Santa Anita! LOL!

24 Aug 2010 11:08 PM
Diane D

This is off the subject(and a grand subject it is!), but did you notice a 2 yr old "Private Rules " on 8/14/10 at Saratoga in the 2nd race? He seemed very classy and mature. Any thoughts anyone?

24 Aug 2010 11:42 PM
Secretariat

You don't go from 14th to 1st (with a half mile left to run in the Kentucky Oaks) unless your one hell of a filly.

25 Aug 2010 12:53 AM
Zookeeper

Paseana,

And I thought I was lucky because I live ONLY 25 miles away! I'm distraught over the fact that Oak Tree will be conducted at Hollywood Park this year and after that who knows?... I always looked forward to the horses coming back to SA every October after having been gone for what seemed a lot longer than 5 months. In miles, HP is not much farther for me, but in traffic hassle it might as well be a hundred miles away. I live in the San Fernando Valley so you know what I'm talking about... the dreaded 405 Freeway! GRRRR!

sherpa & Dr D.,

I'll probably have more to say after I come back from DM. The event is after the races on Thursday, so I'll spend the night in the area and watch him exercise Friday morning. Can't wait!

NJTrotter,

Not every blog has to be a Zen connections bashfest. I'm sure Zenyatta is very happy with her life and is not pining for a change of ownership & trainer. Believe me, she IS where she belongs.

25 Aug 2010 10:08 AM
Zookeeper

I should have added "...and so is Blind Luck" at the end of my last comment.

25 Aug 2010 1:44 PM
Zookeeper

Mr. Haskin,

Just watched the new edition of "and...They're Off", good show! I sure hope you're right about the new dirt track at Santa Anita and like you, I HOPE, HOPE, HOPE that they do it right and make it as safe as humanly possible.

25 Aug 2010 7:03 PM
Fran Loszynski

Your tribute to Blind Luck was awesome Steve. You give so much to us fans that love racehorses. Blind Luck appears to be a "workhorse" with heart. Because of your story I will watch her more. I'm always trying to match Afleet Alex with a great mare. I bet the two of them would produce a horse with unbeatable stamina.

Just a note: Go Afleet Again, Go Afleet Express, Go Admiral Alex,