Haskin's Preakness Report: Mucho Macho Becomes a Man

It wasn’t over the course of the mile and a quarter Kentucky Derby (gr. I) that Mucho Macho Man went from being a big gangly kid to a man. It wasn’t over the last half-mile of the race or even the last quarter.

It was only in the last 100 yards that the proverbial light bulb went on and Mucho Macho indeed became a man. Let’s not forget, this leggy, long-striding colt will not even turn 3 until June 15, four days after the Belmont Stakes (gr. I).

So what happened in those final 100 yards of America’s most grueling race? Turning for home, Mucho Macho Man still hadn’t figured it out, despite making his ninth career start, and never finishing worse than fourth. He was late changing leads and only did switch over to his right lead at the three-sixteenths pole when Animal Kingdom drifted in on him and forced him into Pants on Fire. He then drifted out under a left-handed whip by Rajiv Maragh, all the while plugging away as he usually does, but never really finding his best stride. When Maragh switched to a right-handed whip with just about 100 yards to go, Mucho drifted back in, but in doing so, finally leveled off and actually found another gear. He re-broke and gave a final burst, pulling away from a stubborn Shackleford and missing by a neck of catching Nehro for second.

When a horse can find another burst at the end of a mile and quarter race, especially the Kentucky Derby, it has to be an encouraging sign. This colt has tremendous lung capacity and never seems to get tired. Now we’ll find out if that wake-up move at the end of the Derby can propel him even farther in the Preakness (gr. I) and Belmont Stakes.

With nine starts at seven different distances from six furlongs to 1 1/4 miles and competing at seven different racetracks in five states, there is no doubt Mucho Macho Man is a throwback and should be appreciated for what he’s been able to accomplish at such a young age. The fact is, he is from two to five months younger than the horses he’s been competing against, yet has raced more times than any of them with the exception of former claimer and huge longshot Isn’t He Perfect, who has yet to race outside of New York State.

Not only is he a throwback, so is his trainer, Kathy Ritvo, who treats him as such, which is why she scheduled a half-mile work for him at Belmont Park Tuesday morning and never once gave it a second thought even as torrential rains all that morning turned the training track into a sloppy mess and caused flooding throughout the backstretch.

“We’re like the Post Office,” Ritvo said as she was about to take an earlier set out to the track.

So, at 7:40 a.m., not even the heavy rains could keep Mucho Macho Man “from the swift completion of his appointed rounds.”

As the big colt was being saddled, Ritvo talked to him as she would her own child. Hanging outside his stall was a Jolly Ball toy and a round honey-coated oat and grain ball that looked like a cross between bird suet and a Rice Krispies treat, a gift from Churchill Downs. Inside her office was just one piece of memorabilia – a framed color photo of The Village People (who recorded the big hit Macho Man), signed by each of the group’s members.

Ritvo couldn’t help but be amazed at the magical journey she has been on since her heart transplant in 2008. Here she was with a horse, who like her, virtually came back from the dead after being lifeless at birth, only to jump to his feet and dash around the field as his stunned breeders looked on in disbelief.

“We both bounced back to life at almost the same time,” Ritvo said. “He was definitely made for me. How do so many things line up like that? Who would have ever thought we’d both be here? I never even knew until a few months ago that they thought he was dead at birth. I wish I had.”

“I hope this story gets as good as that one,” Ritvo said with a slight smile on her face.

Just then a crackle of lightning knocked out electricity for a second, followed by one loud clap of thunder that set off a chorus of whinnies throughout the barn. Ritvo began talking calmly to some of the horses, but Mucho Macho Man remained unfazed.

Ritvo also is amazed at the number of features done on her, by magazines, newspapers, and TV stations. But there was one incident that summed up her new-found popularity more than any of them.

“It really hit me when I was in Target buying a raincoat, because Mucho had ripped mine,” Ritvo said. “I was walking down the aisle and I could hear someone running up behind me, and I’m wondering if I should duck. I turned around and it was a lady chasing me to ask me if I would take a picture with her and her daughter. And I’m thinking, 'Oh, my God.'"

But what has been most special for Ritvo are the number of people awaiting a heart transplant that have contacted her and hearing from new donors.

“On Derby morning, someone from Churchill Downs contacted me and asked me if I could find any time to call this person they had heard from who was on the list waiting for a heart transplant and was having a hard time," Ritvo said. "I know how important the Derby is, but that was really important, too. I called him and said to him, ‘Believe me, no one had more of a hard time than I did, so you hang in there.’ I received a text from him about a week later telling me had some of his best days since he talked to me and then rooting for Mucho Macho Man in the Derby.

“Another lady sent me an e-mail. She has a daughter the same age as mine, ready to graduate high school. This lady has the same thing I had (cardiomyopathy) and was worried about being put on the list, because she was afraid. I just told her, ‘There really isn’t anything to be afraid of if you want your life back. There’s nothing to lose, because the quality of life is so awful.’ She told me that she couldn’t walk up the stairs, and I know where she’s coming from because I couldn’t walk from here to there (signifying about 10 yards) without being breathless. I couldn’t even hold myself up. It would make me so tired just trying to pick something up. Hearing from these people is amazing; how they keep going and look to me.”

If there is one image of how far Ritvo has come it was watching her on the walk over before the Derby while being interviewed. Most of the interviewers were huffing and puffing as they asked their questions. But Ritvo never took a deep breath. “I was rolling along,” she said.

“I’m just so fortunate and blessed to be in this position and that everything has worked out the way it has.”

Ritvo then returned to the moment, looking in awe at Mucho Macho Man in his stall.

“Can you believe he hasn’t had a bath in a week?” she said. “It’s been so cold we haven’t been able to. But look at his coat and his color; look at the reflection. It’s unbelievable.”

Just before heading out, an indecipherable announcement came blaring over the loudspeaker.

“What did he say?” Ritvo asked. “Maybe it was either the track is closed or the track is open for anyone stupid enough to use it. I can just see it now, ‘Heart transplant lady gets pneumonia.’

But by now the rain had let up and Mucho Macho Man, with jockey Rajiv Maragh up, went out for the short walk to the training track, where he proceeded to work a half-mile in :49 1/5, with Ritvo watching from the trainer’s stand. He was easy to spot considering he was pretty much the only horse out there.
Mucho Macho Man walked off the track and returned to the barn and, as the old saying goes, wouldn’t blow out a match.

“He had the whole track to himself today,” Maragh said. “It was more like a steady kind of work. He went off pretty nicely. Sometimes he has a tendency to be a little lazy and not focused when he’s by himself, but he was very focused today. I definitely see the progression. Maybe the light bulb did go off on this horse. I like the aggression he’s showing now. Its’ definitely a positive sign the way he worked today. It made me feel good. While the slop may hurt some of the others (in the Preakness), I’m sure it wont hurt him.. He doesn’t seem any different on a fast track or sloppy track. Some horses would be looking at all the puddles, but he just glides right over it. And there was a lot of water on the track.”

Ritvo now is ready for the second leg of the Triple Crown, and will be vanning Mucho Macho Man down to Pimlico on Wednesday. “It’s raining down there and it’s raining up here, so there isn’t much difference,” she said.

She is proud of the way she has handled Mucho Macho Man to get him to where he is now.

“Last year we gave him so much time between races just for this reason, so we can run in all three Triple Crown races,” she said. “People say, ‘Oh, you should skip the Preakness.’ How can you skip it when the horse is doing so good? I know Animal Kingdom ran a great race in the Derby, but Macho is going to get better coming off the Derby. I think we mapped out a really smart plan for him; I don’t think we made any mistakes as far as his racing and training. He’s all I can ask him to be. He’s going to win his share of races. He has so much energy and he’ll give it to you if you ask him for it. He came back great from the Derby and was dragging us on to the trailer at 8 o’clock the next morning. He never wastes any energy doing anything silly. Hopefully he stays like that. We just have to make sure we keep doing the right thing for him.

“He always wants to play and he’ll bite, but he doesn’t have a mean bone in his body. He has a special shank we made just for him, with nylon on one side so he can’t break it.”

So, this incredible journey continues. No matter where it goes from here it has already earned its place in the heart and in Triple Crown lore.

Right now, Ritvo’s visions are of the famed Woodlawn Vase.

“You and me,” Maragh said to her. “We’ll have our picture taken with it.”

Who knows, that picture may even find its way into her office one day.

Danette

Very moving piece Steve. And as you so aptly put it - "It is apparent that some horses and humans are meant for each other, just as Zenyatta and John Shirreffs were meant for each other." Kathy Ritvo and Mucho Macho Man are the best medicine the doctor could have ordered for one another.

17 May 2011 9:48 PM
Paseana

Just a terrific write-up Steve, as usual!  Thank you!

To be honest, I didn't like his sire, Macho Uno, very much.  I have my reasons, some rational and some not so, but this isn't the place to go into them.  I admit, though, that I'm one of those who, when I don't care for a particular horse, I have trouble accepting his offspring as well.  You know how when you love a horse on the track, you're always interested in seeing his babies do well, so it goes both ways.

But this big baby of Macho Uno's has completely won me over!  I sincerely hope that if we aren't to see a Triple Crown attempt 3 weeks from this Saturday, Mucho Macho Man is the one that upsets the applecart.....I really mean that!

17 May 2011 9:52 PM
IOWay

Even though we read about this it is hard to appreciate the concept how close she was to death.  I hope this makes more people sign organ donor cards because it is an awfully hard decision for next of kin to have to make if something happens that would make organ donation a reeal possibility. There are a lot of neat stories this year associated with the triple crown races and they are being well told. May all of the horses come out of the next two legs in good health and may Kathy continue to enjoy good health.  My only criticism is that she should lose the gum when on national television.

17 May 2011 9:55 PM
Paula Higgins

Lovely story Steve! Kathy is an amazing woman. I used to work on a post cardiac transplant unit so I have an idea what she has been through. She is a very resilient woman and she has a big heart (figuratively) for taking the time to talk to people with a the same medical condition. I really like Mucho Macho Man. Afte Uncle Mo, he is my favorite. Plus his owners come from Georgia :). So I am rooting for him in the Preakness.

17 May 2011 10:26 PM
Aspercel

Great story :)

I walked back to my car after the risen star pretty much on pace with Macho Man, and he wasn't blowing at all.  I wish him and everybody connected with him luck!

17 May 2011 10:38 PM
drblick

Thank you, Steve, for that great article about Ms. Ritvo and Mucho Macho Man.  Exceptional story!

17 May 2011 11:14 PM
Zen's Auntie

I was so happy to see another Haskin blog this evening! Turned out to be one more amazing bit of Life on the TC trail right from the track. Nice one Steve. Thanks so much and keep it coming!

I LOVE Mucho Macho Man and Kathy R (whats NOT to love here??) - I Like MMM to upset the Triple Crown apple cart making the Belmont the best of 3.

However he finishes its amazing to see this enormous colt continue to bloom and grow up before our eyes. He has always been in my top 3 and now with his workmanlike training regiem and gritty style heb's my number ONE "heart throb".

Steve I know you must be so busy but can you give us an update on how Archarcharch and Comma are doing?  Do they know where Yagos' colt will stand? (providing proper healing of course, god willing)  Just checking on them.

17 May 2011 11:17 PM
The Deacon

Another well written and informative story. Steve, you always find a way to out do yourself.

I have a question for you:

Do you feel that Buena Vista and Apapane may come to Churchill Downs for the Breeders Cup Turf Mile to take on Goldikova. The Victoria Mile was sure a thrilling race. I think though Buena Vista may want a longer distance........

18 May 2011 1:48 AM
Janey1

Thanks, Steve, for once again allowing your readers to feel as if they're "there," knowing the person and the horse.  And, what a wonderful story!

18 May 2011 6:43 AM
jeanne wolverton

Another wonderful blog. I must watch the Derby again. I bet him in the Derby, may have to bet him again. He, for sure, will win his share of races.

18 May 2011 6:44 AM
ManO'WarMike

Very nice Steve, will be rooting for MMM if ANIMAL does not win, would be a nice exacta ANIMAL over MMM. Should pay say $50.

18 May 2011 8:04 AM
vapaul67

I think every article you mention MMM you always have to throw in the part about him being a June foal. Well tat is not what got him beat in the Derby, I think the whole June Foal stuff is no longer significant b/c he's got quite a few races under his belt and it is doubtful he is gonna improve much more. Animal Kingdom making only his 5th start and off 6 weeks like MMM blew by him in the stretch and now MMM has to make up 2 1/2 lengths to him come Saturday, I don't see it happening, but I do think Dialed In is attractive at 5-1, 6-1 b/c I think he will have more pace to run at and he had a faster final last 1/4 time than did A.K. I think I'm done wasting money on MMM. He disappointed in the LA Derby and could do no better than third with an absolute perfect trip in the KY Derby, I don't see how he could possibly win Saturday.

18 May 2011 8:30 AM
PomDeTerre

Very heart warming story. I wish the best for this team.

18 May 2011 8:42 AM
Draynay

MMM is still only 2 years old.  He grew up in the Derby and will finally get the pace he needs up front.  MMM is your Preakness winner !

18 May 2011 8:54 AM
trackjack

Another great srticle, Steve, thanks.

You describe the last few hundred yards of the Derby accurately.  MMM was moving fastest of all once he regrouped and downshifted.  Take nothing away from Animal Kingdom, our only hope now for a TC winner.  I will be using AK, MMM, Shackleford in my box mix and maybe another, once the draw is made.

18 May 2011 9:31 AM
Princess Cecilia

Great story and great connections for a wonderful horse! We will be at the Preakness cheering for Mucho Macho Man. May he fulfill every dream.

18 May 2011 9:36 AM
bellesforever

This just warms my heart..how could anyone not cheer for these connections?I will be..this horse has shown he has heart and talent as does his trainer.I hope that he switches leads when asked and runs straight and true through the lane..

18 May 2011 9:54 AM
deb

Good luck to you and the man.

He is a lovely horse and has many rooting for him, and you.

Safe trip.

18 May 2011 10:08 AM
Linda Hauck

Good luck to them all in the next race.

Steve would you be kind enough to address the long standing belief that the horse's should be on their right lead coming down the stretch. I am a long time rider, trainer and have been buying and retraining TB's off the track for 20 years. Their right lead IS NOT necessarily their strongest lead or should they be asked to switch on to it in the stretch. I have ridden so many OTTB's where their right lead was their WEAKER lead. Maybe there would be less breakdowns if this inaccurate assumption wasn't a rule at the track. I let my racehorses be on the lead THEY choose in the straight.

18 May 2011 10:21 AM
Alydarman

Steve. I agree with your assessment of MMM. When people watch replays of a race they tend to only watch their horse. MMM was my main selection in the KY Derby and he certainly ran a credible race. My observation of horses who run first time dirt after having only run on turf/synthetic surfaces is that sometimes 1st time dirt takes something out of them. I heard one trainer say they are sometimes sore after running hard on dirt. I think at a very small price Animal Kingdom might be susceptible to this. The Derby was run like a turf race with a very slow pace and then several horses closing in fast fractions. Any thoughts?

18 May 2011 10:22 AM
JamesRockford

Great story! I'm down with the "Macho Man" especially since I have no interest whatsoever is seeing that jackass Barry Irwin in ANY winner's circle EVER again. Forget the Village People nonsense, the REAL "Macho Man" Randy Savage needs to show up at the barn. That would be awesome seeing HIM in the winner's circle with MMM and Kathy. Hey, it's the Macho Man, yeahhhhhhhh...

18 May 2011 10:34 AM
edrul427

Another great article We wish Kathy and Mucho Macho Man all the luck in the world.They deserve it.

18 May 2011 10:52 AM
MikeM

Being a June foal does make a differnce as to his physical development. I hope he has a long career because he will be an absolute MONSTER in his 4 and 5 year old season.

18 May 2011 10:54 AM
GoldenBroom

Nice story...hope he runs second. Have to root for a Triple Crown. Thankfully Animal Kingdom was also coming off a 6 week rest and should be fresh enough to hold this monster off again.

18 May 2011 11:47 AM
Sam Santschi

Steve, great post.  Sounds strange to say b/c I had him to win, but it was sort of amusing/ funny watching him try to figure out what to do in the last stages.  I think he did learn alot and continues to mature.  Prior to the Derby, I thought he might be a tad too slow and his final quarter was something like fifth fastest but, when you factor in the late lead change and his altering course...who knows what we have here.  Love the horse and will be betting and rooting for him from home.  Had he caught Nehro though, I would have had the Exacta.  As Dave Feldman used to say, shoulda, woulda, coulda.  If you can, tell us how is weight is.  Filling out more?  Thanks.

18 May 2011 11:52 AM
El Kabong

Thanks for article and the picture Steve. The details were so perfect I had to get a hot cup of coffee and warm up after reading it(and it's sunny over here) It's great having you back track side and  in the barns getting us these insights all wrapped up in these human interest stories that can well a person up!

The article on AK(in good company) was good but not like this one. Most importantly, yours mentions his coat, his stamina after the work, his building aggressive demeanor, and Ritvo's strategy. All great info on MMM-I hope you're headed to Fair Hill as we speak. I'd love to know more about how AK is really looking, acting, etc and  I wouldn't mind another great read on the magic of GMotion and his terrific team.

18 May 2011 3:57 PM
El Kabong

Steve,

Scratch that last request. I missed your 5/11 article on the "proverbial copper penny." My bad.

18 May 2011 4:04 PM
Ranagulzion

Very touching story.  "Macho Man" will be a sentimental choice for many fans in the Preakness, and he's got a great shot with Rajiv Maragh on board.  He's my third choice behind Dialed In and Flashpoint.  However I do respect the chances of the Derby winner Animal Kingdom.  Best of luck to all.

18 May 2011 4:36 PM
JamesRockford

"MMM will be an absolute MONSTER in his 4 and 5 year old season."

And the chances of a really good colt still running at 4 and 5 is about 10% and 0%.

18 May 2011 4:45 PM
Rita

I am in love with this horse. It started when I first read about him in the local Gwinnett County news paper and learned his owners only live about 30 miles from me in Georgia. I was so suprised that we would have a Georgia owned thoroughbred going to the Derby and possibly all the Triple Crown races.I thought after Zenyatta it would be hard to fall right away for another horse but MMM has taken my heart. I wish him and his connections all the luck in the world. I really think MMM has a good chance in his next two races. We will see soon. After all him and his trainer have both come back from the brink of death. I believe that God is watching over them and you can't argue with that. Thanks Steve for this very nice piece on him awesome as usual.

18 May 2011 5:18 PM
BN

Awww! This almost makes me hope we don't have a triple this year, and that they win! Love the part where she was in Target - that's when you know you've made it! Glad they're both doing okay!

18 May 2011 6:04 PM
Ida Lee

Well, I'm back. I tried to stay away from racing but I could not stay away once I took a look at Uncle Moe and the beautiful and talented Mucho Macho Man. He is physically stunning with those long legs and slim and trim compact body. And so talented.  I just love to see him run and know he's going to grow into that incredible body and become a racing monster.  I just loved reading about him and his connections and nobody does it better than you Sir.  Thanks.  Wow, I'm such a sucker for those Machos..PS. the 4-legged kind of course

18 May 2011 6:13 PM
weekend surprise

I was so elated when MMM came in 3rd in the KY Derby. For what Miss Kathy has endured, this was well deserved. God bless her and the horse! I think MMM will be a major factor in the Preakness. AK's Derby win was excellent and his pedigree is exceptional. His sire is a turf specialists, I realize this. And his Dam,a German bred by Acatenango spells pure stamina. This horse could run 2 the moon and back with this pedigree. I certainly hope when his career is over, he does not end up overseas for his stallion career. The U.S. breeding industry needs fresh blood. Anminal Kingdom is it!

18 May 2011 6:28 PM
Stellar Jayne

Steve - A great article featuring one terrific woman - Kathy Ritvo, and one fabulous young colt - Mucho Macho Man.  It is so heartwarming to read such wonderful stories. Kathy is truly a 'good' human being.  MMM ran really well in the final furlongs of the Derby.  It doesn't matter to me who wins the Preakness, as they are all worthy and I hope they all come home sound and healthy.  May the force be with KR and MMM on Preakness Day.

Like Zen's Auntie, I'd like to know how ArchArchArch, Comma To The Top and Uncle Mo are doing.  I'm wondering why Repole didn't take Uncle Mo to New Bolton for a thorough exam.  Any ideas?

18 May 2011 8:38 PM
Deltalady

You are just amazing as always, Steve. Thanks for causing me to have to reach for the tissue box one more time! Sniff, sniff!

18 May 2011 9:24 PM
Steve Haskin

Thanks everyone.I'd love to addres some ofyour questons,but I just came online today for a few minutes. I'll try to get to hem shortly. Pretty hectic right now

18 May 2011 9:49 PM
Alex'sBigFan

What a moving and touching story, Steve.  How can you not love Kathy and Mucho Macho Man?  She is amazing and I love her training style, seems like she knows exactly how to make an ironhorse.

Oh my goodness, this is difficult, but I hope MMM comes in second as well.  I want and we need a Triple Crown winner.  We have to prove to the world we can produce a horse that can do this again.  This 33 year dry spell is way too long. I'm behind Animal Kingdom all the way in this 2nd jewel on his journey in quest of the elusive Triple Crown.  The racing world needs to witness a coronation of a superstar; I never saw the last coronation I was only a young kid then when Affirmed won.  I did not even know who Affirmed was at that time.

Remember what MZ told us months ago, we are in the time of two back to back year female HOY winners and the last time that happened a TC winner followed.  Maybe, just maybe history will repeat, that is my hope but I wish Kathy and MMM a great future as well.

18 May 2011 10:08 PM
Bill in Atlanta

Another great write by you Steve, and I just watched your Preakness picks video, so now that you have written the article on MMM and picked him with AK to take the Preakness, there goes my 10-1 odds on MMM!!  But that's ok, I'm still doing my trifectas with AK and MMM on top with Shack, Dialed In, and Dance City underneath them. And I like the middle post that MMM drew. It will let Dance City and Flashpoint jump out to lead the expected faster pace, and let MMM and AK (post 11) settle in the middle.

Also, to add to the MMM story, the owners, Dean and Patti Reeves are living a fun dream with MMM too. And they have been great ambassadors for us in Georgia as we are attempting to get horse racing started in Georgia. And so far, everybody in the business (including the management of Churchill Downs, Keeneland et al) have all been extremely supportive and helpful in our efforts.

18 May 2011 10:50 PM
SUNNY FARM

MUCHO MACHO MAN has a Jolly Ball AND a  "Jimmy's Hangin ball " ? SWEEET !!!

I wish he and Cathy Ritvo all the best, he was such a joy to watch in the  KY. Derby ~ (Loved his song too !)Cathy's whole story is amazing and it is so great to see women trainers at the top of the game ! Thank-you Mr. Haskins for writing another wonderful story. BEST OF LUCK CATHY & MUCHO MACHO MAN !

We thought you both did great in the Derby !!!

18 May 2011 10:57 PM
SUNNY FARM

LINDA HAUCK :

I agree with what you wrote about lead changes and thier urgency. To switch leads or not on the straight. When I am riding any horse of of any breed at TOP speed, the last thing I do is try to force a lead change. I trust the horse knows best where his feet are..besides...it is such a blur anyway & sure seems dangerous to me to make a horse change a lead ~ It is a cause of  break -downs just as you have said , also slows the forward momentum to a small degree while in the moment of suspension... I have always thought the horse knows best what is right for him and when, with exceptions of on the tight turns of course when he needs the help of the rider to make the turn, & the fore-thought.

Good luck with your horses Linda !

18 May 2011 11:19 PM
predict

What a great story, told like only you could tell it. Thankyou, Steve for this moment. We all tend to take our hearts for granted, never taking time to notice what is really meant to work without our attention being needed, but when it goes bad, we find out quickly just how all important it is to our ability to function. I can only suggest to others that they appreciate a healthy heart if they are so blessed, and to care for it like a special, cherished gift. Don't let life stress you out , for stress is the worst thing for your heart. Learn to laugh at those things we cannot control and just take life one day at a time. Try to make someone else feel good everyday, for nothing will make you feel good like helping someone who needs it. I believe we all have a connection to God in our heart, that if we react to how it makes us feel when we listen to it , that it is really all the religion we need. Do something good to feel good, do something bad to feel bad.

I have had a feeling all year that MMM was going to be heard from before this year is over, but I don't think it is going to be this weekend. Animal Kingdom is my choice for the Preakness.

19 May 2011 12:05 AM
Fran Loszynski

Great story Steve, MMM was born to run and hope he does well but I hope Sway Away takes the Preakness. If he can focus straight ahead, he has the kick to do it and the speed. I wish I was there to yell and point-

"It's THIS A WAY-"SWAY AWAY!"

PREAKNESS PICKS:

SWAY AWAY

MMM

DIALED IN

Sing it Afleet Alex fans: for ole times sake: GO ALEX, GO ALEX, GO ALEX

19 May 2011 8:57 AM
Zen's Auntie

I Musta lost my last post somehow...

ANYWAY, Steve could you also mention a little bit about the behind the scene story on Norman Asbjorkson's traner and his son Noah's courageous win over bone cancer.

NORMY is my long shot favorite and the whole story is another eye weller -- give us the scoop as only you can -- Please Mr Haskin?

19 May 2011 9:41 AM
Slew

Steve, you've taken us on another lovely journey, and I have to thank you for your insight.  Mucho Macho Man is indeed a very special colt, and I'm looking forward to enjoying him more and more.

To those who wondered how many hands high AK is...I still don't know...but...the announcers did state that the largest colt in the Derby was MMM at 17 hands....and he's not even really 3 yet!  Wow!

And Kathy Ritvo's story is nothing short of amazing.  I so wish the best for her....she's overcome so much already.

19 May 2011 9:44 AM
TerriZ

On the day of the Florida Derby two recently deceased owners' horses won races; one of them was owned by the late Ned Evans. Now Dance City owned by Mr. Evans is racing in the Preakness; he may very well hit the board.

Thanks for the wonderful story about Cathy Ritvo and Holy Bull's grandson, Mucho Macho Man. He's an awesome race horse and will only get better.

I hope that we have a chestnut triple crown winner this year aka Animal Kingdom. It would be great for racing as Motion never had a drug violation. And it would be even better for breeding as he would add strong European stock to breed in America.  And thirdly, it would be wonderful to see the penultimate jockey and gentleman, Johnny V, win the triple crown.

If AK does win, he might have a hot date with a certain statuesque beautiful mare residing at Lane's End.

19 May 2011 1:18 PM
sceptre

Hi Steve,

This is completely off topic, and I note that you're rather busy at the moment...For over a month now, it's reported that Uncle Moe's showed an elevated enzyme level (re-his gastrointestinal infection). It continues to be reported that the cause of this (single) elevated enzyme remains a mystery to all concerned. I'm at a loss to understand why there is no mention of which enzyme this is. It almost appears as if they go out of their way to omit this information. Would appreciate your attempting to uncover the name of this enzyme.

19 May 2011 2:03 PM
KY VET

YEA....YOU REALLY WANT A HORSE ON ONE LEAD THE WHOLE RACE....REAL SMART PEOPLE.....WE ARE TALKING ABOUT HIGH PERFORMACE ANIMALS!  THEY CHANGE LEADS NATURALLY! IF THEY DONT, ODDS ARE SOMETHING IS WRONG! HOW COME YOU PEOPLE DONT KNOW THIS? NAME ONE GREAT HORSE THAT DOESNT....ALYDAR? COME ON PEOPLE...YOU CANT BE THIS IGNORANT...

19 May 2011 5:39 PM
JamesRockford

5/18 post: "the REAL "Macho Man" Randy Savage needs to show up at the barn. That would be awesome seeing HIM in the winner's circle with MMM and Kathy. Hey, it's the Macho Man, yeahhhhhhhh..."

DAMN, I guess I laid some REALLY bad kharma on Randy Savage the Macho Man. Just heard he had a heart attack and died today. RIP Macho Man, maybe you can send some good kharma MMM's way tomorrow.

20 May 2011 5:13 PM