Smarty Jones Back in Uruguay

History will be made in Pennsylvania this Saturday, Sept. 22 when Parx Racing hosts two $1 million stakes for 3-year-olds, as well as a $300,000 stakes. One of the rich events, the Cotillion Stakes for 3-year-old fillies, will be the first grade I stakes ever run in the Keystone State.

Among those entered for the Pennsylvania Derby are the dead-heat winners of the Travers Stakes (gr. I), Alpha and Golden Ticket, who look to break their tie in the 1 1/8-mile event. The Cotillion drew the Alabama (gr. I) and Coaching Club American Oaks (gr. I) winner Questing and the undefeated 2-year-old filly champion My Miss Aurelia.

And several of the top 3-year-old sprinters will compete in the Gallant Bob Stakes (gr. III), including major stakes winners Currency Swap and Trinniberg.

While an expected record crowd cheers on some of the best horses in America and gamblers flock to the slot machines inside the facility, the individual most responsible for this memorable afternoon will be nibbling on grass in a paddock in Uruguay.

Smarty Jones, the orchestrator of Smartymania in 2004, arrived at Haras Cuatro Piedras in early August to begin his second breeding season in South America.

It was eight years ago that Smarty turned Philadelphia Park into the center of the racing universe. Smarty not only changed the fabric of racing and gambling in Pennsylvania, he was responsible for the name change from Philadelphia Park to Parx Racing and Casino.

It was here that Smarty resided through most of his unforgettable Triple Crown run, luring media from New York to Kentucky to the barn of trainer John Servis. And who can forget those two memorable Saturday mornings between the Derby and Preakness and between the Preakness and Belmont when crowds of 7,000 and 10,000, many of them families with children, showed up at Philly Park just to watch Smarty gallop around the track. Politicians gave speeches and hundreds of people converged on souvenir tables to purchase Smarty Jones merchandise.

Gone are the TV helicopters hovering overhead and the police escorts covering three states and Servis’ daily press conferences that drew hordes of people to the Philly Park paddock. And there were the books and songs and hundreds of thousands of fan letters and school visits and a segment on “A&E Biography.” It was quite a time.

Even then Pennsylvania governor Ed Rendel said it was Smarty Jones who was the impetus for the slots bill being passed. Rendel was at Belmont Park for the Belmont Stakes leading the fans in a S-M-A-R-T-Y cheer from his box.

But now, Smarty, after spending several years at Three Chimneys Farm in Kentucky, has become a shuttle stallion, journeying from Ghost Ridge Farms in 2011 and Northview PA in 2012 to Uruguay.

Smarty arrived at Cuatro Piedras in early August after staying 20 days in quarantine near Carrasco Airport.

“He arrived in perfect condition; healthy, spirited, and elegant as usual,” said Claudia Rosas, who owns Cuatro Piedras with her husband Pablo Salomone. “We believe it was not a stressful trip, because he didn´t lose weight and he adapted immediately to the ‘change of address.’

“He is the perfect horse all the breeders want to work with, because he is always ready and willing. He has the necessary qualities to achieve a successful season. Antonio Romero is the name of the chap who takes care of Smarty. Although Smarty can sometimes be distrustful, he respects Antonio a lot.”

Rosas says Smarty begins his stud duties at 7 a.m. and after two or three hours of rest, grazing in his paddock, he is back to work at 2 p.m.

“This year we will participate in 50% of the business,” Rosas said. “We are sure Smarty will make history in Uruguay, and racing here will be referred to as ‘before Smarty Jones’ and ‘after Smarty Jones.’ He has made more prize money than any horse ever sent to Latin America.

“We are so enthused and grateful for the opportunity to have him at our farm.”

All photos by Steve Haskin unless stated otherwise.

Haras Cuatro Piedras

Brick barn

Claudia Rosas (center)

Stallion barn

Guests treated to first-class hospitality

Mares and foals

Smarty Jones -- Aventura (by Irish River) foal  (
Cuatro Piedras photo)

Smarty Jones -- Lady Eve (by Southern Halo) foal   (Cuatro Piedras photo)

anita b

Hello Steve,

Great article--of course. Where did "PARX" come from besides Smarty Jones?

Really enjoy the pictures too.

How long were you there?

Thanks again,

Anita Carter

18 Sep 2012 10:41 AM
Ted from LA

Luckily, I've been to Parx.  Therefore, when I die, I know I'm going to heaven.

18 Sep 2012 12:10 PM
Delrene

rty Jones.    Looks like he is well cared for and they love having him.  Appreciate the wonderful photos.

Take care.  (This message might be messed up, something amiss with computer/.....  Sorry.

18 Sep 2012 12:14 PM
lunar spook

Even though he didnt win the crown i enjoyed his season more than any other with the exception of secretariat , thanx for the memories smarty !

18 Sep 2012 12:44 PM
Lydia

Wouldn't he have left Northview PA this past August?

18 Sep 2012 1:44 PM
Linda in Texas

I am so glad Smarty Jones has such classy admirers. I just adored him, his story, his owners and everything about the love that was generated by and for this wonderful racehorse and the

state of Pennsylvania.

His little ones are beautiful and the one photo shows a foal with a heart shaped mark on it's forehead.

No doubt the Racing Gods put that

there to honor Smarty Jones and the

hearts of those who love him.

Lovely place Parx and the people and their hospitality is from their hearts also.

Thank you Steve.

18 Sep 2012 1:48 PM
Soldier Course

Thank you. Still ... This makes me sick.

18 Sep 2012 2:09 PM
Budroyale

Anyone read Profitable Horse Racing Handicapping?

Its on amazon...B0096EFSLC is the ID google it??

Any good?

18 Sep 2012 2:44 PM
Dooquila

smarty jones sure gets some lovely looking offspring.  I love the rich chestnuts with the splashes of white on them.  Wishing him every success in his new home!

18 Sep 2012 4:34 PM
Karen in Texas

Smartymania was such fun! If he is going to have to shuttle, I'm glad he is so appreciated by the people at Cuatro Piedras! Maybe he will indeed make history for Uruguay.

18 Sep 2012 5:11 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Ah, our Smarty, just can't stay away from those pretty senoritas!

Chapter Two of "Smarty Y Las Senoritas."

Thanks for keeping us informed of Smarty's escapades Steve.  The place looks nice and the people look great but if he were mine I wouldn't put him through it, he'd be breeding right here.  If Smarty did "all that" for the state of PA then they should be rolling out the red carpet and treating him like a king there.  But that's just my opinion, I'd have him breeding in KY or PA.  Although the possibilities of creating a world champion foal in another country are intriguing, the constant travel and adjustments cannot be easy on them.  All this shuttling must have to do with the poor economy in the U.S. and smaller breeders not being able to afford the major sires anymore.  I don't see it fair to our great equine sires.

These days some horses travel more than we do.  Like I said, look out, one day there will be special equine lines at the airports!

18 Sep 2012 6:21 PM
Lammtarra's Arc

I think the one horse who has a bigger fan base then Zenyatta is this fella.

18 Sep 2012 6:45 PM
Alex'sBigFan

The little foal in the last photo is too precious.  I'd call him little "Scuttlebutt" or "Shuttlebutt!"

18 Sep 2012 7:23 PM
Senator L

How can one apply for your job?

I can eat and drink with the best of them.

Always enjoy your stories Steve.

Keep up the hard work

18 Sep 2012 8:44 PM
brandi

I do believe Smarty will be back at the end of the southern hemisphere breeding season, to stand 2013 in PA.

18 Sep 2012 10:14 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Alex'sBigFan

They're both great names but I love "Shuttlebutt" !!!!! Good job !!! It's ingenious. There are a number of layers to that name, like a fine six layered rum cake. You should win the Grand Prize- A seat at the big table, eating, drinking, and being merry with a special toast to Smarty. "He shuttled his butt back and forth. First he was north, then he went south. Then he went back north then back south. Then back north and then back south. Then he went north then south. Then Shuttlebutt won the Kentucky Derby then Smarty stayed north. Ole !!!!!"

18 Sep 2012 11:16 PM
quiet american

wheres the smarty pics!??

18 Sep 2012 11:49 PM
Paula Higgins

Umm, I don't think so Midnight Lute. HOWEVER, he is #2 in my book of favorites (along with Barbaro). He was nothing but class and he lost the Triple Crown by such a small margin. It broke my heart, especially for his connections. Not even Zenyatta's 2010 breeders Cup Classic made me that sad (actually that was one great race by The Queen). He continues to prove how great a horse he is with his progeny. I also think he is a horse that has been undervalued. Glad he is beloved in Uruguay. Just love Smarty and thanks for the pictures Steve. It's a lovely place.

18 Sep 2012 11:54 PM
lunar spook

PAULA HIGGINS- I agree with you on the belmont loss, that hurt me more than any race ever , till this day i have never watched the replay

19 Sep 2012 8:07 AM
randy brungard

Smarty has a great life.  He will be back at Northview in December, where he will resume his Northern Hemisphere breeding in Feb. 2013.  He was the #1 ranked (32nd overall) earnings Sire outside of Ky in 2011 according to the TB Times, with over $5.5 million in earnings.  He has 7 Stakes winners so far in 2012.  Rest assured, Smarty is well cared for.

19 Sep 2012 8:40 AM
barryaksarben

Thanks Steve. Smarty was a GREAT racehorse - coming soooo close to the triple crown - he didnt get the respect from the experts while racing and again while breeding but in both cases will prove them wrong

19 Sep 2012 9:20 AM
Pedigree Ann

Too tired after following all those sessions of the yearling sales to do your research properly, Steve? <kidding>

Sorry, but the first G1 run in the state of Pennsylvania took place on August 25, 1973 and it was... the Cotillion H at Liberty Bell. That was the first year of graded races, before preps began to be graded higher than the races being prepped for and other such idiocies.

Liberty Bell, a harness track in origin, had developed a strong stakes program with major races for mares (Susquehanna H), open older horses (Hobson H) and open 3yo (Minuteman H). The Susquehanna was particularly strong, with winners like Double Delta, Chou Croute, Susan's Girl, and Twixt.

Debuting in 1969, the inaugural Cotillion was won by Shuvee, and in following years by the champion Office Queen; Alma North; and champion Susan's Girl. No wonder it garnered a Grade 1 rating when grading came along.

In 1975, Thoroughbred racing in Pennsylvania moved to the newly-built Keystone facility, with new management, and the Liberty Bell stakes came with it. Although the Cotillion continued to attract decent fields and good winners (My Juliet, Revidere) for a time, it and the other top stakes races went into decline for some reason. The purses went down, I believe; maybe the scheduling was messed with so that the better horses were elsewhere. It was sad to see such a good start to a strong stakes program squandered. Track managements don't always seem to understand the importance of developing continuity and tradition with their major stakes races and play around with them willy-nilly until they have no context.

19 Sep 2012 10:10 AM
Karen in Texas

Alex'sBigFan---I like Shuttlebutt, but the first thing that came to mind when I read it was, he's a little Senor Shuttlebutt! Then, of course, there could be a filly called Senorita Shuttlebutt....

19 Sep 2012 11:18 AM
Smoking Baby

Paula Higgins.  What progeny?

barryaksarben.  How is he proving any breeding experts wrong?

Can either of you name one good horse by Smarty Jones?  He's a nice $10,000 sire (no doubt) but I believe it's a little much to say he's proving his greatness with his progeny no?

19 Sep 2012 11:19 AM
Pat C.

Steve,  just read your article and loved it!  The pictures are

wonderful.  Appreciate all the comments!

Pat Chapman

19 Sep 2012 11:31 AM
Mike Relva

Solider Course

Hello, how you've been?

19 Sep 2012 12:07 PM
Fran Loszynski

Have a great life Smarty and Antonio! I lost a dear friend during Smarty's races but I remember her words before his races.  "Luv that Smaaaaaarty!"

Long life to you Mr. Superhorse. Thank you Steve for this article.

19 Sep 2012 12:07 PM
Soldier Course

Mike Relva:

Hi Mike! I'm doing fine and hope you are as well. Lots of love still flowing out to Smarty. Each year that passes without a Triple Crown winner makes his 2004 run look more and more impressive. He will always be my favorite.

19 Sep 2012 2:33 PM
Old Old Cat

My mare was at Ghost Ridge when Smarty was returned to PA where everyone adored him.  Thank God for Pat Chapman and Terry Bratten for bringing him home.  When he first arrived, I was priviledged to feed him carrots and photograph him.  My (show horsey) daughter loved the photos commenting on his overstride and the angles of his hip and chest.  He always came right up to me and ate out of my hand with No aggressive Bitey-Bitey.  I think he liked a friend in his new surroundings.  His babies there were beautiful, like the photos you have.  That foal standing alone looks like a fast one, and is typical of what he throws.  Smarty, E Dubai, and Jump Start have relocated to North View PA along with Carl McEntee.  I would love to them in the future.

19 Sep 2012 5:45 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Karen in Texas,

Little Senor Shuttlebutt!  I love it!

19 Sep 2012 8:39 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

There are a lot of Polish people in Pennsylvania. How about Shuttlebuttski for one that is concieved when he comes back here?

19 Sep 2012 10:16 PM
Greg R

Would rather have had Smarty as a racehorse for another year or two than have him standing at stud.  What a talent.  That he came so close to winning the Belmont with his pedigree and after a grueling spring campaign was amazing.

Is this the farm where Invasor was born?

As for Steve's article about the PA Derby, I didn't care for Alpha going into the Travers, but I have to admit he was best that day by a fair margin, despite the official dead heat.  He ran a lot farther to reach the finish line than Golden Ticket did.  Still, Golden Ticket may be on the rise - one of those autumn bloomers.

19 Sep 2012 10:56 PM
Cassandra.Says

Girls, don't worry about it too much.

Honest, stallions don't suffer when they have mares brought to them all year round.

On the contrary, in July/August they are often off their feed and spending their time calling. "Hello? Any girls out there? Hello?"

20 Sep 2012 1:00 AM
an ole railbird

i would like to comment on the size of these foals in south amercia. compared to the american foals, they are smaller & tend to grow off , with age.

where as the american foals are taller, with more muscle definition, at a earlier age.

therein may lay, some of the problem, with soundness in their 2& 3 year old years.

IMO ,american breeders push for a muture lookin colt, at an early age.  this practice results in

a bigger, stouter, colt that is more apt to be to big for his bone structure.

our niebhors to the south, seem to be more patient with their colts, and let them grow @ their own pace.

IMO, there is a lot to be said for that method.

enough said. ill go back to being "an ole railbird".

20 Sep 2012 10:31 AM
CHIEF PICAWINNA

my too cents on names

Smarty Jones -- Aventura Smartadventure

Smarty Jones -- Lady Eve

SJlady

20 Sep 2012 3:04 PM
Alex'sBigFan

I still say that Smarty Jones and Afleet Alex are relatively new young sires with so much more to come from them.  They both proved their greatness on the track.  I think their greatness as sires is still in the making and evolving.  The progeny has been ok, but nothing stellar yet.  Didn't Smarty's stud fee drop drastically a few years back as well?  As much as I love both, and I really love Alex, I feel they still have to prove their greatness as sires.  When the athleticism of either finally genetically transcends to a foal who can translate that talent on the track as they did, then Smarty and Alex will have really made their mark or hoofprint.  Hopefully great champions will come from both of them, they're only at breeding what 6 or 7 years or so now.  Alex entered stud in Jan. 2006 and Smarty maybe the year before.  I put Bernardini in the same category.  Hopefully in years to come when we see a pedigree with one of these 3 names in it, it spells out greatness.  May the 3 of them be blessed with many breeding shed dates with many champions to follow in their footsteps or hoofprints.

20 Sep 2012 8:00 PM
Cassandra.Says

Railbird:

You said it!

Like your mom told you "Eat your carrots and grow big and strong."

NOT "big and fast."

The mares in the past few years have been their sires' best advertisements. They're smaller, and they stay better and last longer.

20 Sep 2012 11:56 PM
Smoking Baby

Alex'sBigFan.  I must admit I was a little skeptical when Afleet Alex went to stud.  Then in his first crop he had two Grade 1 winners as well as a couple Grade 2 winners and a couple Grade 3 winners.  There was a period there where you couldn't watch one of these big races without seeing an Afleet Alex in there.  He still commands a nice respectable $20,000 stud fee (2012)and had turned out to be a nice sire.  This brings me to Smarty Jones.  I don't think when he went to stud they sat down and said to themselves "Gee I hope in a few years his stud fee drops 92.5%, we get 3% stakes winners (2% graded), his yearlings average about $13,000 dollars (2011) and we shuttle him to Uruguay."  They have some work to do with him in Pennsylvania and the story's not done being told yet but....You've got to classify him as a dissapointment so far.

21 Sep 2012 9:13 AM
Wrensflight

Na zdrowie, Dr. D! And you're right, as usual, Ole Railbird.

21 Sep 2012 12:41 PM
Gin

Steve, thank you so much for this wonderful article on our dear SMARTY JONES!!!!!!!!! I believe it's unanimous when so many folks here show their love for him, by saying he's one of our favorites for sure!  How can you not love Smarty!  Glad you got to go down to South America and see where he is stationed.  Good to see you have a great time!  You deserve it for all you do for us!

21 Sep 2012 9:39 PM
Uncle Smiley

Unique angle on naming a Pennsylvania bred Smarty foal, Dr. DB.  In the interest of linguistic accuracy can I suggest Shuttledupa.

But what I would really like to hear roaring from the lungs of Tom Durkin is:  "and here at the Belmont it is all about Smartdupka!"

US

22 Sep 2012 5:22 AM
Lise from Maine

Hi!

Why was Smarty Jones sent to Uruguay?

Why not stay in the States and breed here?

The mares and foals are beautiful.

Thank you!

Lise from Maine

23 Sep 2012 1:24 PM
Alex'sBigFan

another foal by Smarty Jones - Lady Eve could be called:

Eventually Smart

But this one in the photo looks like a cuddly, fuzzy donkey and he just looks like a little Shuttlebutt!!!

24 Sep 2012 9:27 PM