Mandy and the Greats Part 2

By popular demand (lol) and a few specific requests, I am posting another batch of photos of Mandy and some of the great horses she has met over the years. Hope you enjoy. Next week it is back to Countdown to the Cup.

First horse photo at 10 months old with Northern Dancer

Another shot with Secretariat

Meeting the horse who started it all for me, Damascus

A little fun with Nijinsky

A kiss for my all-time favorite filly Gallant Bloom

With the one and only Seattle Slew

The imposing presence of the Mighty Forego

Yes, she actually got to touch the irascible John Henry

The king of sires, Mr. Prospector

With A.P. Indy before he became a breeding legend

Sad to look at this photo of the handsome Ferdinand

With the brilliant Easy Goer

Special meeting with the horse closest to my heart, His Majesty

Not a great horse, but Met Mile winner Honour and Glory was the first Thoroughbred Mandy held by herself

Greatness and kindness; you couldn't help but love Affirmed

Quiet moment with Bill Mott and Cigar

Holding Theatrical. Who knows what is on his mind

Feeding a banana to Awesome Again

With the brilliant Silverbulletday

It was wise to keep your distance with Skip Away, but we were very close to him because of Sonny and Carolyn Hine

Years later with a lighter version of Skip Away

Sort of a bonus photo of Mandy aboard Da Hoss' buddy Business is Boomin (Boomer) on the gallops at Michael Dickinson's Tapeta Farm

Ted from LA

Forrest Gump had nothing on Mandy Haskin.

03 Oct 2012 9:29 PM
steve from st louis

What a gallery of greats! Mandy was lucky to have your connections but was also lucky her mom was there as well. Behind every great man...just a few observations: what a beautiful head Mr. Prospector had. "Slew" had a lot lighter coat than I remember--he almost looks like a chestnut. Mandy was growing for sure, but she made Awesome Again look like a quarter horse. And Affirmed was sure a grand looking horse.

03 Oct 2012 9:56 PM
EnaCatori

I'm sure that I am not the only one, but I can't help but be very jealous of Mandy and the precious memories you both share when looking back at visits with the greats. I have finally had the chance to get my own photo taken with Blame and Pulpit. Hopefully those won't be the only photos I get. Thanks so much for sharing these moments with us!

03 Oct 2012 10:01 PM
Terry M.

These are all wonderful. Thanks so much for sharing.

03 Oct 2012 10:13 PM
Paula Higgins

Steve, this is like a "Who's Who" of thoroughbreds. Absolutely love seeing these great horses with Mandy. She is just adorable. You could never put a price on these photos. They are literally priceless. She even made John Henry look sweet. On another note, everyone keep Paynter in their prayers.

03 Oct 2012 10:20 PM
Alex'sBigFan

Simply awesome Steve!  Thank you so much.  I love the title too! They all look so gentle with Mandy and they all seem to like her a lot too.  These are really too cute for words.  I always wanted to see Mr. Prospector since "all roads seem to lead to him sooner or later!"  And a photo with Paynter's sire Awesome Again!

This is another treat.  Boy, in the 70's Mandy was really livin' the life!!!!  The caption under the one with His Majesty should be, "His Majesty Meets the Little Princess."

Continuing to pray for my sister, Paynter, and Mike Relva's friend Judy.  Thanks again Steve for this treat.  And guys, Steve's wife Joan is as lovely now as she was then.  I was fortunate to meet her Saturday at the JCGC with Steve.

03 Oct 2012 10:49 PM
Big_Red_4ever

Steve, again you delight us with these warm, touching photos of beautiful Mandy and the horses who've touched your lives. Must confess to being misty eyed and a little melancholy seeing them, kind of like the sentiment in the wonderful old Rodgers and Hammerstein song, It Might As Well Be Spring, "I'm as starry eyed and vaguely discontented, like a nightingale without a song to sing." The photos are reminders of what was and never will be again. Of the greatest joys and deepest sorrows this sport can bring.

Northern Dancer and Damascus...goodness, but that takes me back to my own youth as a starry eyed girl loving horses. How many know there's an indirect connection between the Dancer and Big Red? In 1962, the Dancer was ridden to his first win by a then little known Ron Turcotte.

It's not possible to think of Damascus without also thinking of Dr. Fager and Buckpasser. What an era that was in racing! Looking further down the photos, there isn't room to mention them all. But there's the incredible Forego, who finished 4th in Secretariat's Derby. Before becoming a racing legend, Forego needed time to fill out that huge frame. Oh, and John Henry. I moved to L.A. in the late 70's, so was privileged to see John run here many times. Man, I loved that tough old gelding. I saw A.P. Indy run here too. I don't even want to think of what happened to our other California "boy," Ferdinand. So many wonderful photos. The memories are mostly good, but some not so much. I just like to hope that somewhere Ferdinand is running for Charlie and Shoe again, and all of them are in pastures that'll always been full of sweet bluegrass.

03 Oct 2012 11:09 PM
Debbiek

I, too, am really jealous of Mandy!!  And i thought the same thing that Steve did about Slew.  Maybe a trick of the light??  Did anyone else notice how much Easy Goer and Ferdinand looked alike?  Secretariat is still the king of my heart, but I loved the pic with Northern Dancer.  I read that Paynter came through surgery well.  He sure is a fighter.

03 Oct 2012 11:15 PM
macnanny

I am also very jealous of Mandy, how very lucky she is and she has grown up to be a sweet young lady.  I also noticed that she had a big smile for these greats at 10 months and on.  I would have given anything to meet these big legends of horse racing; my favorites, Secretariat, Cigar, AP Indy and John Henry.  And I did not know that horses liked bananas, will have to try those on my 2 mini's.  Thanks for sharing these great pics.

04 Oct 2012 1:12 AM
Ellie

Unbelievable! Wow, the horses Mandy got to meet! I can't imagine! Envious, yep! Hey Steve, I'm kinda old now, but do you want another daughter??! I got horses to meet............:)

04 Oct 2012 1:34 AM
ladorada

What a lucky girl to have all those awesome photos! In regards to Seattle Slew, it seemed obvious to me as I was looking at the photo that the sun was going down and casting that golden evening glow over everything, including picking up and accentuating the redness in his haircoat. But Steve would have to confirm at what time of day that photo was taken.

04 Oct 2012 2:11 AM
Ellie

Was looking at these great photos again........look at Mr. Prospector's head! Just beautiful, looks like a painting. He has a thoroughbred's version of a finely chiseled arabian's head! Thanks for showing these photos, so many legends. I never tire of looking at them!

04 Oct 2012 4:23 AM
Deltalady

Wonderful photos, very touching to see these racing greats from such a personal perspective. Awesome.  Thank you for sharing these.

04 Oct 2012 4:34 AM
Linda Yates

I think Mandy was the luckiest girl in the world!  To have a dad who had access to the greatest horses in racing ... and the talent to photograph them for the rest of us to enjoy ... Keep it up!

04 Oct 2012 7:00 AM
Steve Haskin

Glad you're all enjoying the photos again.

Ena, I have several good photos of Mandy with Blame. What a gorgeous head he has, and such a wonderful disposition. Just a terrific horse to be around.

Ellie, just send me the adoption papers and I'll see what I can do.

Alex (Cheryl) I'll share your comment with Joan.

04 Oct 2012 7:37 AM
Zen4Zen

Mandy's one lucky lady and from what she wrote (posted earlier), she knows it!  Thanks for posting these wonderful photos.

04 Oct 2012 7:43 AM
Victoria Forbes

Wonderful memories of the legends of yesterday.  One of the many reasons I so love my trips to the Bluegrass is how welcoming these stud farms are and how they give such generous access to their champions.  It still rancours with me about how I missed visiting Mill Reef who was my childhood hero.  The National Stud would not let me catch even the briefest of glimpses unless I was on an appointed tour.  Of course by the time I did get on such a tour, the great horse had died.  I wasn't about to make the same mistake with Seattle Slew and we visited Kentucky in '99.  He was still a fine looking horse then.

04 Oct 2012 9:47 AM
Love 'em all

Oh my gosh!  Part two's pics are just as amazing as the first part!  Wow!  Northern Dancer!  Ferdinand!  My all-time fav, John Henry with his best friend Cathy Roby!  And all the other 'greats'!   This has been a treat like no other, Mandy, and Mr. and Mrs. Haskin.

Without a doubt, there was never the need for "say cheese" to Mandy from her father to capture these adorable pictures.  They're all so natural .... all so priceless.  Again, thank you for this marvelous treat.

04 Oct 2012 9:53 AM
Abigail Anderson

Can I join the "Jealousy Club"? These photos, together with Part One represent my fondest little girl fantasy, although being a contemporary, Steve, my thoroughbred list was slightly different. But the little girl in me today is definitely, thrillingly jealous!

Joan -- what a beautiful young mother and woman! You are a lucky man, because I just know that that beauty starts on the inside when it glows like that from without. And little Mandy -- what a gorgeous baby girl and little girl (and, of course, young woman)! As a former teacher, I tend to look at children and teens' eyes and when you see that sparkle, which Mandy has, you know that this is a person you absolutely want to teach because the special ones (and I never prioritized the brainy ones because special comes in all kinds of surprising hues) enrich your life -- and your teaching -- so completely. They are beings brimming with life.

And the horses....memories flowed as I wandered through this second gallery. As a Canuck, I am indeed proud to know that Mandy's first acquaintance was none other than our Northern Dancer. Also thrilled he didn't try to bite her!!!! I didn't realize that the young Skipaway was such a feisty character. And it was very special seeing Ferdinand through your eyes. Theatrical -- what a riotous shot. I just loved it! And it was wonderful,too, to see Gallant Bloom.

I'd love to know your connection to His Majesty, if it isn't too private. The photo makes it clear that he didn't get Ribot's nasty character -- was he more like Flower Bowl?

Thank you again for sharing these fabulous photos and precious memories!

04 Oct 2012 11:08 AM
Blind Luck

Oh what a great life!  Thank you so much for sharing.  The gold on Seattle Slew would be blending nicely with the gold in his eyes.  They are all so wonderful, how thankful you must be to have spent your life doing something that you so obviously enjoy so much!  What a lucky daughter!

04 Oct 2012 11:14 AM
TerriZ

Thanks for sharing these priceless photos and memories.

These legendary thoroughbreds seem to be enchanted by your beautiful daughter Mandy. Hopefully, you might think of compling all of these photos and stories of your family visits with these equine heroes in a book.

Thanks for your thoughtfulness in sharing these photos with everyone.

04 Oct 2012 11:14 AM
Ida Lee

OMG...my heart feels like it's going to jump right out of my chest seeing these spectacular athletes. That same heart broke again with the beautiful Ferdinand, one of my very favorities. And John Henry...what a character!! I'm glad he decided not to munch on Mandy (LOL) Though some were definitely bittersweet, what a pleasure it was to see these photos. Thank you, thank you, thank you...

04 Oct 2012 11:55 AM
Steve Haskin

Thank you, Abigail, beautifully put as usual. You certainly do have a way with words. I followed His Majesty since the day he was born, often visiting him as a yearling and at the track. I wrote about it in a blog in July. Here is the link cs.bloodhorse.com/.../darby-dan-revisited.aspx

04 Oct 2012 11:56 AM
Steve Haskin

Victoria, I visited Mill Reef at National Stud in 1975 and took a conformation photo of him that was used in the Thoroughbred Record along with a feature on the farm that I wrote. He was such a neat little horse to be around.

04 Oct 2012 11:59 AM
kaytee

I'm a huge fan of this sport; the people; the great horses; and now Mandy...

04 Oct 2012 12:04 PM
Mister Frisky

I'm with you Steve on the photo of Ferdinand,it's still heartbreaking to think about him.When you get a chance if possible could you do some recon on Toby's Corner.Herringswell announced three weeks ago he is retired and heading for stud duty in Japan.No other news from the BH or DRF about this.I would like to keep tabs on him and make sure he gets the treatment he has earned and deserves,Thank You.

04 Oct 2012 12:14 PM
A Horsey Canuck

Steve, as a parent, I can only imagine how proud you must feel to look at your daughter with so many of the great thoroughbreds of our time. I'm sure that Mandy, as she is now older, appreciates these photos. What a legacy for you and your family. How about a small book, Steve, with proceeds going to Old Friends or another tbred rescue organization? Just a thought.

04 Oct 2012 12:31 PM
Steve Haskin

Thanks, Horsey Canuck, as for Mandy appreciating the photos, read my previous blog, in which she writes all about it.

04 Oct 2012 1:00 PM
slee

First horse photo ever was with Northern Dancer?!?  Quite a place to start!

I like the picture with Secretariat, not just because of the image, but because he's (gosh almighty!!)  a little dirty!  Almost every picture of him shows him so clean, with his stripe and socks so white they glowed, it's nice to see that sometimes he, too, got down and rolled in the mud!

The other one that strikes me in particular is the one with Damascus - Mandy doesn't look too sure about getting too close to him, and according to someone I knew who worked a little while at Claiborne, Damascus wasn't mean, but he was a nipper and you weren't really  a worker in his barn until you had a few bruises from him!

As for Slew's coat, I heard once that he was such a dark brown, almost black, that his coat was susceptible to sunburn, and by the end of the summer he looked quite different than in March.  I've always been intrigued by his eyes.  In many photos his eyes look almost hazel/brown.

Thanks for all the wonderful images, Steve.

04 Oct 2012 1:53 PM
Rachel NH

Priceless, priceless photos of your daughter and wife sharing your passion! (as you do their's, very loving family)

Hey Steve, someday would you take a gander at writing the story of the greatest race ever run by a horse...on his own...(wink)

04 Oct 2012 1:59 PM
NCteacher

Mr. Haskin

When Mandy, Part I posted, before I realized it, I had spent 1 hour looking at the pictures....Part II will probably take longer than that and since I'm at work probably better not start looking yet!  However, as I scanned through the pictures quickly, I saw John Henry, who was the first racehorse I ever saw in person and actually touched....I caught the "virus" that day....you know the "I love Racehorses" one, and it just won't go away!  Just wish that I had gotten the bug many years ago! Your writings always "get" me, but those pictures keep the blood flowing!

04 Oct 2012 2:15 PM
Shutterbug

Wow.  Thank you Steve for sharing these incredibly historic pictures, and thank you beautiful Mandy for allowing us this glimps into your life.

I wonder if Zenyatta inherited her physical stature through the Mighty Forego's family tree, since his sire Forli appears 3rd generation in her female line.

As everyone knows, current NA thoroughbred pedigrees are saturated with Mr. Prospector.  In this picture, he doesn't look like much.  Quite surprising, or maybe not.

Northern Dancer looks amazing.  Baffert's superstar filly Executiveprivilege is inbred 4x to him in her 4th and 5th generations (doubly linebred).  Hope I said that correctly, as I am not an expert.

And poor beautiful Ferdinand looking so lovely in the picture... sigh.

04 Oct 2012 2:32 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Last night I looked at these stunning, simply amazing photos before I went to bed and sometime during the night had the most incredible dream that left me feeling great when I woke up and that feeling has continued since. In the dream I visited the Haskin family, and just as the sense you get get from these photos, the environment was pure joy. They had a gray horse that was part of the festivities and it was all joy, laughter and fun as we all took photos together and in general just had a fabulous time. Everyone was always smiling. I don't remember it all but we took a lot of photos. One thing I do remember clearly is that I was eating a bowl of something and Joan told me that Steve had bought me a Classic Mustang car from the 60's and I was so shocked that I dropped the bowl. Mandy, Steve, and Joan were all so gracious and a ton of fun. Isn't that the sense you get about this amazing family when you look at the photos and hear Steve talk about his family? And doesn't it seem that all of these magnificent horses love Mandy as much as she loves them?

04 Oct 2012 2:47 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

BTW, the car was absolutely beautiful. I still can't believe he gave it to me. Steve is so giving !!!!!

04 Oct 2012 2:48 PM
The Deacon

Wow, to see Northern Dancer and Damascus, what a thrilling reminder of what horse racing used to be. Thanks Steve for making time stand still for us. You were one wise dude to start taking all these pictures way back when. You must have a collection like no other. Any photos of Dr. Fager with Mandy? Maybe even Majestic Prince?

Thanks for sharing Steve.......

04 Oct 2012 2:58 PM
Steve Haskin

Dr. D., although I love your dream and thank you for joining us (it was Honey Nut Cheerios by the way), I have to jolt you back to reality with the distressing fact that our two cars have 145,000 and 110,000 miles on them, and I would kill for that Mustang. Aint no way I was giving it to you. Sorry.

Thanks, Deacon, unfortunately Dr. Fager and Majestic Prince died before Mandy was born.

04 Oct 2012 3:37 PM
mz

Lucky, lucky, lucky (hey! isn't there a horse name in there somewhere?)

This reminded me of one of my first pictures with a horse -- the shiny not-silver but whatever-stuff-that-was -- horse that used to sit on top of the television on the lace doily.  I look happy.

BTW, that black and white television later became colour when my Dad put the film stuff on the tube and we got sky (everything on top was blue), grass (everything in the middle was green) and ground (everything on the bottom was brown).  Sure looked weird having sky, grass and ground inside office buildings, though.

Anyways, I have serious Mandy-envy.

(Northern Dancer and Mandy -- both short but awesome?)

04 Oct 2012 3:57 PM
Dr Drunkinbum

Steve

Just having that car for the night and the joy of that amazing surprise was enough for me. I would love for you to have it. I don't know how many miles were on the new engine but the car and it's shiny maroon paint job looked brand, spanking new, and thanks for the great time. Spending time with you and your family was exquisite fun. Sorry about breaking the bowl and spilling the Honey Nut cereal and milk on the floor but I was dumbfounded. Thanks again, and thanks for sharing all of these treasures of photos. I hope there is more in the future.

04 Oct 2012 4:09 PM
Linda in Texas

Of course i did not dream about Mustangs or Honey Nut Cherios,

but today when i saw the great photos I wondered what all the super horses talked about when Mandy left. No doubt as they stood partaking of their evening hay and oats with maybe a 'small' glass of wine to chase it down. Maybe just

maybe they talked about the golden haired toddler and what she would be like when she grew up.

We all know the answer and i imagine they all do also. Mandy

you had to brighten their days, all of them. And this was my favorite set of photos today!

These are truly awesome and i have added every one of them to my downloads hoping i am not violating any of Mandy's rights!

Thank you Steve and Joan and Mandy.

04 Oct 2012 5:29 PM
Steel Dragon

Thank you for sharing your beautiful pictures. Can't help but feel sadness  over the late Cathy Roby who took such great care of Forego & John Henry at the Kentucky Horse Park and was so accomodating to their fans.

04 Oct 2012 5:50 PM
Alex'sBigFan

This is so great I am going back over all these photos again today!

Steve I think Bloodhorse needs to buy you a nice new Range Rover or Mercedes truck to get you and yours safely to all the tracks and farms.  Enough of the 100,000+ mileage, I'm in the same boat on that too.

Dr. D.,

Love your dream.  I noticed too how the horses love Mandy and are so gentle with her.  Look at how A.P. and His Majesty put their heads right down to her!  It really is too cute. It's like they all know exactly who's daughter she is!  Even John Henry was good with her!  Mandy must have that loving, caring good nature that animals sense.

I definitely can see where Paynter got his looks in Awesome Again and I can see the Afleets in Mr. Prospector as well, especially around the eyes.  They all have such a regal stance about them.  Mandy, the golden haired little princess's magical journey through a gallery of famous thoroughbreds!

04 Oct 2012 7:53 PM
Lammtarra's Arc

Mandy met 3 Canadian Breds i would give my left N*t to meet!!!. Northern Dancer, Nijinksy(My alltime favorite), and Awesome Again!.   If I would have seen With Approval on there I would have fell off my chair in complete shock and envy...lol.  Wonderful piece Steve. Oh and How did she get through the Northern Dancer meeting with out him biting her?...he was known as a real fesity mean colt..lol

04 Oct 2012 8:39 PM
skyfire

Thank you for all of these fabulous photos  -- they have so much personality...they show great racing machines as horses that people can get close to!  Way more interesting than standard farm photos!

Special thank you for the one with my personal alltime fave, Affirmed!  I also like Gallant Bloom, a great race mare who is rarely brought up.  What are your memories of her?

04 Oct 2012 9:13 PM
PioneerCountry

Yep, talk about a 'who's who' - wow.  In 2002, when Seattle Slew died, I gave myself a smack. I had been procratinating for years. Right then & there I put a trip to Ky as 1st priority. I had missed Mr P, Secretariat, Nijinsky, Slew  etc & told myself to just go! 8 wks later I was on the road to Lex, Ky w/ my best friend. Best road trip EVER! And it didn't take long before I realised  how wise that was. In the years since (& I try to go yrly BTW), I may have missed the above horses but because I went in 2002, I met Danzig, Slew O'Gold, Capote, Storm Bird, Woodman, Seeking The Gold, Dixieland Band,Summer Squall, Rahy etc. Others were sold/pensioned etc but because I went I got to get up & personal over the yrs w/ Charistmatic, Silver Charm, Empire Maker, & so many others. And the star horse (really) I got to hug in 2002 was my honey Lure at Ashford.  I remember the groom at Ashford that summer (Larry) looking at me & wide smile - you came just to see Lure?  No one comes to see him, I'll bring him out for you, wanna picture w/ him?  Are you kidding me?  I have my treasured photo of me w/ Lure.

I have many treasured pics of AP Indy, Mineshaft, Smart Strike, Pulpit, Dynaformer (from a distance..),& on & on. I have many more that I've not mentioned.

Tx for your photos Steve - esp those horses I didn't get to see.

04 Oct 2012 9:47 PM
Debbiek

Dr. D. really loved your dream.  I have thought many times when I am reading one of Steve's blogs that I would just love to hang out with him one day and just listen to his stories.  Steve, one of the things on my bucket list is to do just that; so if you ever have a free moment... lol.  I just got done showing all of these photos to my daughter and her boyfriend.  She knows of my love for Secretariat.  I'm a little sad today, the 23rd. anniversary of his death.  He will forever be my favorite.

04 Oct 2012 11:11 PM
Cassandra.Says

Don't eat your hearts out. Nowadays, most great racehorses have been perfectly captured on film at least a few times -- perhaps with their essence better revealed than later in life, bored, unfit and aging.

I rose very early and drove very far to see Secretariat train, and found that seeing him in the flesh added nothing to my sense of him from photographs and TV.

Northern Dancer -- I think you had to be there. Only in person did I feel in the presence of a carnivore. I suspect Ribot was a horse like that too. And films from Ribot's time are poor quality.

But think of Hansen's pure joy in using himself. It's a subtle quality, but it comes through on videos. Think of Affirmed in the stretch with his right ear cocked sidewise clocking Alydar's progress to the inch.

With modern equipment and abundance of pix and videos, slo mo, halt, rewind, if you have a strong sense of a horse, you probably wouldn't add to it by visiting. We know Zenyatta, for instance. A journalist described The Minstrel in the Epsom Derby showing "sheer bloody-minded refusal to be beaten." He was on the spot, I assume, but the stretch photo would give rise to exactly the same words -- a Blood-Horse cover photo I think.

If you never had a chance to be there, let Steve take you there, and enjoy.

05 Oct 2012 7:25 AM
TripleCrownKaren

Steve, once again....You "got" me!  Damascus AND Northern Dancer AND Mr. Prospector?   Whew, I hope everyone here realizes how much Thoroughbred history is represented in those pix.    And then to have my all time favoriter gelding the mighty Forego...well, This article has been eye candy for my "soul".   So many great horses and races come galloping back into my memory.   And Yes, that may mean I'm an "old baby boomer" but I wouldn't have missed this time in TB racing history for ANYTHING!    (Sigh!) you Do know we all are living "vicariously" through you, right?  :)

05 Oct 2012 9:13 AM
Mike Relva

Steve, thanks for all the great photos. Planning on visiting Cigar this weekend.

05 Oct 2012 10:51 AM
WildThing

I am very humbled that you would share private family photos with your Blood Horse family. When these photos were taken, no one knew that this would be a photo diary of your crowning achievements; the progression of your greatness as a writer and your daughter Mandy. You must look at these and flashback to the memories of what was happening at that moment in your family and professionally. And what was to come.

As an outsider of these private moments, the photos are proof that these were real horses; pretty, curious, goofy, hungry and loveable. Mandy had a warm smile for every single one. My guess is there was that same smile for all horses and probably all creatures.

Thank you for sharing glimpses of your private life with some very well loved public figures.

Thank you also for your incredible talent as a writer. When I see there is a tag for a new story from Steve Haskin, I know that I am about to read something really, really good.

05 Oct 2012 11:31 AM
Melissa P

Oh, these are just WONDERFUL! Thank you so very much for sharing them with us. I got to know El Senor (the real one - Mr. Luro) pretty well before he passed. It's wonderful to see his best known pupil! I especially loved the photo of the late, great Theatrical. I've never known a horse who loved to have his tongue pulled as much as he did. I spent many an hour at Brookside visiting Theatrical (and Strawberry Road, Palace Music, and Jade Hunter). Theatrical always heard someone coming and stuck that old tongue out for a pull. Happy memories!

05 Oct 2012 1:03 PM
deb

Maybe a book with the photos?  I could look at Mandy and the horses all day long.  Thank you for sharing.  More please?.....

05 Oct 2012 1:43 PM
SJ

Thanks, as always.

Steve J

05 Oct 2012 8:45 PM
Pamela M

Back in 1974 I visited Claiborne just after Secretariat retired. It was a rainy day and no one else was there and the groom was kind enough to lead out Damascus (all muddy after rolling) and Sir Ivor (who I photographed with his tongue lolling out). Secretariat was peacefully grazing. I remember friendly Le Fabuleaux with his big blaze. Those old yellowed photos mean so much to me. It makes getting older (ha) more bearable when you can say you saw Secretariat.

05 Oct 2012 11:01 PM
Dianna S

Another batch of awesome photos!

06 Oct 2012 1:54 PM
Lise from Maine

Hi Mr. Haskin,

Your daughter is so fortunate that you are in the horse racing business so she could meet the wonderful horses.

Love those photos. Thank you for sharing them.

I joined as a fan of horse racing when a friend of mine took me to Scarborough Downs just outside of Portland, Maine to watch Barbaro win the Kentucky Derby (2006). I have been a fan ever since, and I fell in love with Barbaro.

I have never been to a race track before but I am planning on visiting Suffolk Downs (Boston area) before it closes in 3 weeks.

I am waiting for a sunny weekend.

I am eager to see a race track for the very first time.

Thank you!

Lise from Maine

07 Oct 2012 2:32 PM
Lise from Maine

Hi!

Why are you sad about Ferdinand?

What happened to him?

Thank you!

Lise from Maine

07 Oct 2012 2:35 PM
Far Out East

His Majesty's most notable influence in the thoroughbred world is his daughter Rizyana. She is the dam of the super sire, Danehill.

08 Oct 2012 2:25 AM
TripleCrownKaren

To Lise from Maine;

Ferdinand was exported to Japan for stud duties.   As time wore on, somewhere along the line he actually became a riding horse (a very kind one at that) and then his final indignity was to be sent to slaughter.   So ended the tale of a Kentucky Derby winner and kind soul.

I still can't talk about it without seething with rage and tearing up anger at the stupidity and WASTE of a wonderful horse who should have come back HOME to USA to enjoy his last years.    I still  have a dislike for ANY of our horses going to Japan or any other country where they might be in danger of becoming FOOD!    Probably why I rally so hard and work to encourage my riding students to seek out Retired TB's when they are ready to buy one of their own.

08 Oct 2012 1:30 PM
Tiz Herself

Wow Steve - the pictures that you have of Skip Away absolutely melted my heart. He was the horse who started it all for me and the first year I went to Kentucky with him in mind to see and meet him was in 2010... I was too late, that was May that he passed on and I went in October. Always watch over and over his 97 Breeders Cup Classic and have a shrine for him in my home. Any chance that prints that you may have of him are available to purchase?

I envy you and your daughter, to be able to have seen the greats of the sport up close, to touch. Reading your books and your articles definitely makes a person feel like they were there.

Agreed that Ferdinand and Easy Goer looked so much alike. I'll never forget Ferdinand as well, even though I was born the year he won the Derby, I always watch his Breeders Cup Classic victory and his Derby win. Such a beautiful animal.

Thanks for sharing Steve as always. Any chance that prints that you may have of Skip Away may be available to purchase?

08 Oct 2012 2:19 PM
Agnes

The sight of that gorgeous Ferdinand brought tears to my eyes.  I'm going to save all those wonderful pictures with Mandy so I can look at them over and over again.

Off the subject, I am filled with cravings to see Zenyatta and her 2012 foal.  Why are their pictures NEVER published??

Thanks to you and Mandy again for sharing this wonderful album with us.

08 Oct 2012 9:52 PM
Bill Two

Amazing.  That girl sure has a way with a horse....and stallions to boot!  Wow.

09 Oct 2012 3:12 PM
lorraine

What great pictures, thanks so much for sharing.  I read all the comments and found a lot of people "jealous" fortunately I would be if Mandy would have been able to meet my love and favorite horse, Man O' War!  But she sure is lucky to have met all these great great champions.  And, for the one who talked about Easy Goer and Ferdinand looking alike YES! I thought it was another pic of Ferdinand, poor Ferdinand.  And, speaking of looking alike, does anyone think Business Is Boomin resembles Secretariat?  Secretariat, the most beautiful horse EVER!  Great pictures, brought back a lot of racing memories.  Thanks again.

18 Oct 2012 1:57 PM
Lise from Maine

Hi!

Oh no!  That is disgusting that Ferdinand went to the slaughter house.

Wasn't "I'll Have Another" sold to someone in Japan this year?

Oh my!  I hope that his fate is not the same as Ferdinand when he is done with stud work.

Thank you!

P.S. Had fun at Suffolks Down on October 13, 2012 and received a "grand tour" by one of the managers. He learned that I arrived from Maine and was very accomodating. He even allowed me into the "members" only dining room. Wow! What treatment! I will never forget it.

Lise from Maine

18 Oct 2012 2:24 PM
Lise from Maine

Hi!

For clarification purposes, Scarborough Downs outside of

Portland, Maine is a harness racing track.

I prefer thoroughbred horse racing instead.

Thank you!

Lise from Maine

18 Oct 2012 2:28 PM
Louisville Native

Any pics with Spectacular Bid ?

25 Oct 2012 6:55 PM
Alex'sBigFan

I cannot help revisiting this for the umpteenth time!!!!  Mandy and the Greats is a big hit.

I can just hear His Majesty in the photo that looks like it came right out of a fairy tale:

"Well, hello there my little princess Mandy and how are you today?"

"Good afternoon Your Majesty."

"Tell me how is your journey through the land of thoroughbreds?"

"Oh it's such fun Your Majesty. Oh it's tons of fun, I saw so many great horses. Oh Your Majesty they told me such wonderful stories!"

"That's good my little one.  You have fun and I'll give you a ride later.  Remember one day you will be the Haskin Queen."

"Ok, bye Your Majesty, see you later."

Agnes,

Just go to Zenyatta's website and they post updates all the time and all the news, photos, videos of Zen and 12Z.  There is a recent video of the Mosses October visit

with a pregnant Zenyatta still pawing at the ground.  You can really see the love Ann Moss has for that horse in her eyes.  It's a wonderful thing.

26 Oct 2012 10:26 PM