Penny's 92nd Birthday Party

The party is about to begin. The guests, both two-legged and four-legged, are arriving to celebrate Penny Chenery’s 92nd birthday. The room is decked out in blue and white balloons, and hanging on the walls are dozens of racing photos, including the covers of Sports Illustrated, Time, and Newsweek. It is a time for nostalgia, for remembering a great lady, who in 1973 was The Queen in a sport of kings.

One by one, the guests present Penny with a birthday card, inscribed with their birthday wishes.

“Dear Penny, first off, thanks for losing that coin flip and for being the greatest press agent a star like me could ask for. And thanks for all the comforts in life you provided, especially supplying me with the most dazzling harem a handsome stud could ask for. I know I rewarded you and helped make you famous, but it only equals what you did for me, although I have to admit I wouldn’t have minded staying in bed and sleeping all day on September 29, 1973. All in all, it was a magical journey and we should take great pride in knowing that we raised the equine genus up a notch and created the standard by which all others are measured. And I never told you this, but I did see you flailing your arms wildly as I came down the stretch in the Belmont Stakes. What a moment that was. I’m sorry I left you so soon, but, unlike the racetrack, there are things in life we have no control over. Hopefully, one day they’ll find a cure for laminitis. I do miss those Certs breath mints at Claiborne Farm. Now that we are reunited on this day, and I see my name in the pedigrees of so many top-class horses, I want to take the time to wish you a very Happy Birthday and many more to come."

-- Your number one glamour boy, Secretariat

“Dear Penny, it gives me great pleasure to return to wish you a Happy 92nd birthday. I remember those early days when you had that funny-looking hairdo and no one knew who you were. I have to admit I wasn’t crazy about being cast aside and living in the shadow of you know who (I still can’t say his name), but deep down we both know who always remained number one in your heart and who really helped bring Meadow Stud back into national prominence. I even forgive you for allowing the Disney people to cut me out of that movie, as if I never existed. But I understand why they had to do it. If they hadn’t, the movie would have been about me. You and Lucien learned a lot from the admitted mistakes you made with me after the Triple Crown, and I’m glad at least for that, although I would have loved to go out a winner after the Stuyvesant Handicap and not have to slog those two miles in the Jockey Club Gold Cup again. But I’d rather concentrate on those glory days of 1971 and early ‘72 when I was The Boss and America’s sweetheart. With my lop ears and narrow frame I wasn’t the movie star that a certain big red horse was, but I was a kind, gentle soul, and it is with all sincerity that I wish you the happiest of birthdays."

-- Your first love, Riva Ridge

“Dear Penny, we had some rough times and some stressful times, but mostly loving and joyous times together, and through it all you were one classy lady, and I don’t even mind you telling the world about us after all these years. You plucked me out of retirement and a sedentary life of boredom and thrust me onto the national stage and gave me fame and fortune at a time when I thought I had saddled my last horse, never to be remembered in the history books. We had a great run together, sharing all the ups and downs, mostly ups, and for that I will remain eternally grateful. Happy Birthday, and I have to say, you still look damn good.”

-- Your admiring trainer, Lucien Laurin

“Dear Penny, Well, we’re still around after all these years. I certainly have no regrets, despite the unfortunate twist my life took. But that was many years ago as well. Thanks to you and Big Red, and, yes, Riva, I still am able to keep busy doing autograph signings and attending major events and meeting the fans, old and new. I thank you for two days in particular – August 2, 1971, when you put me on Riva Ridge for the first time in the Flash Stakes, and July 31, 1972, when you and Lucien allowed me to get a leg up on the greatest horse of all time in an allowance race, when no one had heard of the name Secretariat. I had ridden many top horses before that, but my career was launched into orbit that day at Saratoga. Have a wonderful birthday and I’m sure we’ll see each other at the next signing.”

-- Your favorite jockey, Ron Turcotte

“Dear Penny, how great it is to see you again and all the old familiar faces. I see Big Red over there and have a burning desire to go over and take the brush to him and give him the brightest shine he’s ever had. What I wouldn’t give to wrap my arms around his neck one more time and tell him what a champ he is. And how about ‘ol Riva, still lookin’ as laid back as ever, with those ears floppin’ all over. Boy, do I miss those days, and I have you and Lucien to thank for allowing me to spend every day of my life during those unforgettable years taking care of legends. I think I’ll go over and at least feed Red and Riva a nice big piece of birthday cake for old times’ sake. Keep up the good causes and for making racing a better sport.”

-- Your faithful groom, Eddie Sweat

“Dear Penny, I’m sure you don’t remember us, well, maybe you do, but although we were a big disappointment to you, not living up to our brothers’ reputation, we did try, but we just weren’t blessed with their talent. But we do want to thank you for at least putting us in the spotlight for our maiden races and having all of racing following us and rooting for us. They are moments we’ll never forget. Have a wonderful birthday and we’ll go over now and try to renew family acquaintances. Thanks again for the 15 minutes of fame.”

-- Happy Birthday from Red and Riva’s brothers, Capital Asset and Capito

“Dear Penny, I know we had our differences and you and your horse robbed me and my horse of our immortality, and I do have to tell you that regardless of how they portrayed me in the movie, I am not a loudmouth and a bully, and deep down was a great admirer of you and Secretariat. I did get in the Hall of Fame, so there is something to say for that. I still would love to get another crack at that big red horse with my beautiful Sham, but that’s not going to happen, so I’ll just accept it and think about what might have been had Sham come along in a different year. I’m so glad you’re still around to tell everyone about those days and of two very special horses.”

-- Your one-time antagonist, Frank “Pancho” Martin

“Dear Penny, all I can do is echo my trainer’s words and wish I hadn’t bloodied my mouth and lost a tooth hitting it against the gate at the start of the Derby. Who knows, right? Hey, I did finish ahead of you guys in the Wood Memorial, abscess or no abscess. That’s’ something. It was a good fight overall; I just came out second best. They said I had an unusually large heart, but Red’s heart was even larger. Some luck, huh?”

-- Happy Birthday from your equine antagonist, Sham

“Dear Penny, it’s great to see you again. I’m happy to say that Big Red’s old home, Claiborne Farm, is back on the upswing thanks to Arch, Blame, Pulpit, and War Front. Things are going well here, and on your 92nd birthday I would love to give you the world’s biggest cake, so that it could hold six million candles. Well, 6.08 million to be exact. You helped make my career when I was just a mere youngster and trying so hard to fill my daddy’s shoes and impress Mr. Phipps and the other board members. It was so great working with you in putting together a deal far beyond anything anyone had ever seen before. We rewrote the book on syndicating horses. We made history, and we will share that bond for all time.”

-- Your one-time partner, Seth Hancock

“Dear Penny, bet you didn’t think we’d make it here, but there was no way we were going to miss seeing you and all our old friends. We remember those old days at The Meadow and you as a little girl growing up, and the apple of your pappy’s eyes. Man, it’s good to see Big Red and Riva again after helpin’ raise them as babies. We remember the day we put Red in that first stall in the yearling barn, so we knew then he was the special one of the bunch. Man, he was strong. He was so different from Riva. Red would test us, but Riva was just a kind soul. It was sad to see The Meadow go, and we never did go back again, even though we passed it all the time. We remember bein’ picked up every mornin’ in Duval Town, that was built after the emancipation to house freed slaves. They’d pick us up and bring us to the farm. We sure did love workin’ for Mr. Chenery. He always treated us so well, as you did. Oh, by the way, Aunt Sadie and Magnolia say hi and Happy Birthday. And so did ‘ol Wilbur (Bill) and Harry Street, who vanned Red to Hialeah as a 2-year-old, and Howard Gentry, and Olive Britt, who still regrets not gettin’ to the farm in time take Red out of Somethingroyal. But she remembers Mr. Gentry telling her, ‘This is what we’ve been waiting for for 35 years.’”

-- Happy Birthday from the boys at home -- Charlie Ross, Howard Gregory, Bannie Mines, Lewis Tillman, and Raymond “Peter Blue” Goodall

“Dear Penny, all I can say is thank you for allowing me to name Secretariat, even though it took six tries to get it. It was my honor and privilege working by your side during those years. You were indeed your father’s daughter. A very Happy Birthday."

-- From Meadow Stud secretary Elizabeth Ham

“Dear Penny, I had so much fun playing you in the Secretariat movie. I have to admit I hadn’t been to a racetrack since I filmed ‘A Little Romance’ at Longchamp when I was 13. It was inspirational becoming you and just being with you at Belmont on Belmont Stakes day and seeing the admiration people still have for you. I have to admit my favorite moment in the movie was telling our shady trainer to pack up and take a hike. So, thanks for letting me into your world and for making this such a fun role. I hope I look as good as you at 92."

-- Happy Birthday from the other Penny, Diane Lane

“My Dear Penny, thank you for being there when I needed you and for keeping the name of our beloved Meadow alive. You gave up the life you had built for yourself and your family to return to your roots and help save what we built up over so many years. I’m so proud of you for what you accomplished and the self-confident, strong-willed person you became. I didn’t live to see Secretariat, but I was there with you all the way. I hope you’re aware of that. It is so reassuring to know that it was from our blood, passed on through the generations, that a legend was born; perhaps the greatest of all time. And, yes, I was well aware at the time that we finally won the Kentucky Derby with Riva. It gave me a great deal of comfort knowing that. To see you now, celebrating your 92nd birthday, warms my heart, as does seeing my grandson tell the story of your life so masterfully. The Meadow is gone, but it will never be forgotten thanks to you.”

-- Your loving father

So, let’s light the candles and cut the cake and celebrate a life well lived, and remember a very special time, not only in racing, but in America. It truly was a time for heroes.

zenyatta fan

Tears in my eyes, thank you for this masterpiece!

27 Jan 2014 2:09 AM
trackjack

Happy Birthday Penny!  Thanks for the memories.

Thanks to Claiborne for their graciousnes as we visited Red, Riva Ridge and the others on our honeymoon in 1984.

Thanks Steve for this trip down memory lane.  I still believe that only you could put the true story of Big Red to the big screen.

27 Jan 2014 6:37 AM
SJ

Thanks to all of you for the great memories and Happy Birthday Penny

27 Jan 2014 7:05 AM
Kelso1966

Happy Birthday Penny! Here's to another 92!

27 Jan 2014 7:07 AM
freeder5

What a lovely idea. You made me cry. I hope Penny enjoys it.

27 Jan 2014 8:20 AM
Zenlover

Happy Birthday Penny!   I remember Riva winning the Derby and then following Secretariat's incredible Triple Crown run.  What wonderful memories!   Thanks for your contributions to the racing world.

27 Jan 2014 8:39 AM
idavis

Steve, you're the best!  Brought tears to my eyes reading these wonderful tributes to a wonderful lady on her 92nd birthday. As they say, "thanks for the memories."

27 Jan 2014 8:41 AM
Fisherman

Happy Birthday Penny! Your are the Queen of Horse Racing and it is an honour to send you my Birthday Wish. At 11 years of age I began watching the Kentucky Derby. I love horses. I witnessed Riva Ridge winning in 1972. I was hooked. Then in 1973 OMG Secretariat Won the Triple Crown in unbelievable fashion. My heart had been branded with joy and amazement. The picture that is stuck in my head is the one of you standing waving your arms in the air with a smile as big as the SUN as your tremendous machine romped to victory and into the History BOOKS. I am I proud of you. Secretariat was the Best but you are the GREATEST. I have a dream (2 yr filly) named Life of Freedom...we will be running for you on your 93 year of life. God Bless You.

27 Jan 2014 9:18 AM
OTTBsRock

Loved it, thank you for the article Steve.  What a powerful blessing bestowed up The Meadow to produce the mighty Secretariat and Riva Ridge toward the end of Mr. Chenery's life.  Penny was the perfect person to continue her father's legacy and what a find job she did - and continues to do.  I'm a forever fan of the great Secretariat, Riva Ridge and the The Meadow too.

27 Jan 2014 9:27 AM
Linda in Texas

Happy Birthday Mrs. Chenery, now on to 100.  Steve Haskin has said it all and quite poignantly i might add.

I know now in my heart why Secretariat was the greatest of my time, he had unbelievable determination, no doubt picked up from your's passed on to you by your father.  Very well written Steve and thank you.

27 Jan 2014 9:50 AM
Abigail Anderson

My turn to say it, Steve: "You hit this one right out of the park!" I read it twice, downloaded it and am pasting it into my Secretariat scrapbook that I started after Red won the Triple Crown. It includes all the original press releases from the Canadian newspapers, as well as the much more famous Times, Newsweek & Sports Illustrated covers. Because I was young enough to not be too self-conscious, there's some of my earliest "sports writing" in it too (LOL). It ran out of pages long ago but there's just one last fresh page left -- and it's going to you and this fabulous text. What a creative way to tell a state-of-the-art history that readers can remember -- it just blows me away! Patent this. With someone like Ray Woolf's photos, this would be a GREAT book to celebrate Penny's 92nd birthday. You are a national treasure Mr. Haskin.

27 Jan 2014 9:52 AM
Abigail Anderson

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PENNY! You, Riva, Secretariat, Eddie, Lucien and Ronnie punctuated my life and brought me home to a passion that I had put on the shelf. When I retired from education, I was given a signed copy of Tony Leonard's "AT THE BELMONT" that hangs proudly in my living room. Because of your generosity and grace, I carried an intimate knowledge of the Big Red Horse as my inspiration for well over 40 years. Thank you and may the year hold many new surprises, several new paintings and more opportunity to hug you close in my heart.

27 Jan 2014 9:58 AM
Equitable

A party only Steve Haskin could so well "organize". HAPPY BIRTHDAY First Lady of Racing.

27 Jan 2014 10:08 AM
OAKLAWN FAN

Absolutely wonderful!!  No one but you could have written this. I was mesmerized from the word go!  Took us all back in time to one of if not the greatest time in Thoroughbred racing!!!

27 Jan 2014 10:12 AM
derbylin

Another example of your writing genius.  This was so much fun to read.  Lots of memories.  Happy Birthday, Penny!

27 Jan 2014 11:35 AM
lillybet

Happy birthday Penny! I have had the great fortune to meet you & say a few words about how grateful I was to you for sharing Secretariat & Riva with the fans. You were so very gracious. Secretariat's Derby was my graduation present from my dad. I can't remember what anyone else gave me. I can still see him coming down the stretch at Churchill Downs.Once again thanks for sharing two wonderful horses with the rest of us.

27 Jan 2014 11:49 AM
texaszippeee

Happy Birthday Penny.  Thank you for the wonderful horses you allowed us to love.

Steve, thank you for this wonderful article.

27 Jan 2014 12:36 PM
Gollykeeper

Once more you've brought me to tears, Mr. Haskin. Happy Birthday, Penny!! I was blessed to see Secretariat win the Belmont and to meet you once, moments I'll never forget.

27 Jan 2014 1:16 PM
txhorsefan

So beautiful, Steve!  We should all celebrate and honor the remarkable Penny Chenery - she enriched the world so much, not just the Thoroughbred racing world, the world of capable accomplished women also.  Thank you for such a unique presentation of how those who shared in her special events would likely send wishes!!  Very clever and fun.  Thank you!!  Happy Birthday, Ms. Penny!!!!

27 Jan 2014 1:35 PM
Shelby's Best Pal

Just great, Steve.  Thank you.

27 Jan 2014 2:46 PM
Steve Haskin

Glad you all enjoyed it. I have to admit I had a lot of fun writing it. Thanks for the nice comments; always appreciated.

27 Jan 2014 3:12 PM
Cynthia Holt

Thank you for being the curator of memories for this virtual celebration of Penny Chenery's 92nd birthday, Steve.  It may be her big day, but we are the recipients of the priceless gift of your words.  This is a must-save to an already bulging scrapbook.  You are the best.`

I had the opportunity of meeting Penny Chenery at the Vox Populi Award ceremony at Santa Anita last year.  It was a miserably wet and cold day, and the turnout was sparse.   Despite the fact that she was seated in a drafty location and was feeling a bit unwell, she chatted kindly and with interest to yet another awe-struck fan.  She looked remarkably beautiful, and was still the same woman who had waved her arms in jubilation following Secretariat's monumental win in the Belmont 40 years ago.

Happy birthday, Penny.  I admire you more than I can say for holding fast to your father's dream, and never allowing it to slip from your grasp.  Those of us who were so fortunate to have witnessed those magnificent days of the early 1970s will love you forever.  It was your ancestors, and the rich bloodlines of your horses which graced The Meadow, which brought about the perfect genetic storm which produced the horse of our lifetime, Secretariat.  You are and have been a brilliant jewel in racing's crown and a great asset and spokesperson for the sport.  It is with hearts over-flowing with gratitude that we salute you today.

27 Jan 2014 4:23 PM
Terlingua

Penny,  From Secretariat's best daughter, Terlingua, wishes for a very Happy Birthday.  What you, your father, Riva and Secretariat have given to the thoroughbred is truly amazing.  Thank  you for all of your contributions through the years and may you continue to enjoy the high regard in which you are held.

Steve, this is a beautiful tribute to Mrs. Chenery and those who surrounded her during such a historic time.  Tugged at the heartstrings during each paragraph.  Thank you for this.

27 Jan 2014 4:50 PM
Bill Rinker

Steve, Thanks for a superb birthday tribute to a top shelf Ambassadress of Thoroughbred Racing. Happy Birthday Ms.Chennery, I had the very good fortune to meet you several years ago at Charles Town. I remember it quite well and was impressed by your integrity, character and class. You signed my program and I keep it with my other cherished racing memorabilia. I have enjoyed many hours of reading and watching your incredible life story surrounding Secretariat. What a blessing you have been to American Thoroughbred Racing, both past, present, and future.

27 Jan 2014 5:16 PM
Danette

Absolutely awesome Steve.  Happiest of birthdays to one of the most remarkable human beings on God's great earth. We love you Penny!

27 Jan 2014 5:18 PM
KY VET

Penny will live way past 100............her heart is 3 times the size of a normal heart............

27 Jan 2014 5:56 PM
Bellwether

What a time it was...Stood in that barn where he was born and let the dirt run through my fingers before the farm was sold...Happy Birthday Ms. Penny and thanks again for going against the grain!!!...

27 Jan 2014 6:25 PM
Bellwether

ps...And thank you Steve for another marvelous piece about "The Game" us freaks love so much!!!...

27 Jan 2014 6:31 PM
Rita

I can never talk about Secretariat without crying to this day. I loved him so much.Then Steve writes his stories about him or any of the greats and I just lose it!! Thank you so much Steve from the bottom of all my tears and heart. Rita

27 Jan 2014 7:26 PM
Uncle Smiley

Steve,

You are the Charles Dickens of turf writing!

US

27 Jan 2014 8:22 PM
Paula Higgins

WOW, this was fantastic Steve!! You are pretty amazing to come up with these "Letters to Penny." I loved each and every one and I am really hoping the real Penny gets to read these. They will make her smile and laugh. out loud. On that note, Happy Birthday Penny! You are a very unique, historic, courageous, intelligent and beautiful woman. Horse racing owes you so much. Thank you.

27 Jan 2014 8:55 PM
Gin

Wow, thank you Steve.  You know so many of us have tears after reading all these great letters to Penny.  Thank you Penny for all that you have done for racing.  To have Sham included is spectacular. He was a great horse.  Eddie was just a wonderful unselfish man.  Who had the opportunity to stay at Claiborne and take care of the boys, but turned it down.  Good to see his comment as well.

27 Jan 2014 9:47 PM
Secretariat

Wait a minute!!!

I'm "Secretariat" and someone is putting words in my mouth.

27 Jan 2014 11:14 PM
ibizans

Penny and Secretariat share the same, humongous, heart. She gave me the courage to enter the man's world of racing in the 70's. Thank you Penny.

I wish you a happy 92nd and many more.

28 Jan 2014 3:12 AM
RajahsMom

Miss Penny, what a joy and an honor to be able to wish you a Happy/Healthy 92nd Birthday, you are one of the reasons I fell in love with horse racing.

28 Jan 2014 3:54 AM
Meleen Drewery

Oh to be Penny Chennery ...

28 Jan 2014 6:50 AM
Alysheba1

Happy Birthday dear Penny…most inspirational horse lady in the world! Makes it my honor to say I still work for Disney,because of your story they filmed of Secretariat I am honored Cast Member sharing Secretariat's magic around the world~~Chestnut Thoroughbreds are simply the top in breeding & beauty… <3

28 Jan 2014 6:55 AM
Windolin

Oh the tears as I read this. Steve, no one can pull our heartstrings like you do. This is a beautiful tribute to Penny. She has always been on my list of most admired people. Happy Birthday dear Penny. May God bless you with many more. You and our beloved Secretariat and Riva Ridge are forever in my heart.

28 Jan 2014 1:08 PM
Daniel Jividen

Christopher Chenery was a hellavu stud.  All his progeny were winners,  especially his shiny Penny.

28 Jan 2014 3:23 PM
Newracingfan

Thanks, Steve, for this wonderful tribute to Penny Chenery. It is a trip down memory lane for many - a history lesson for the rest of us.  Even when I barely knew a horse from a dog, I knew about Secretariat.  This glimpse into his peeps and contemporaries is truly amazing.  Happy Birthday Penny Chenery.

28 Jan 2014 3:27 PM
greyghost

This birthday tribute was done as only Steve could do it. Happy birthday to a lady with determination and the will to succeed. Where would the sport be without Secretariat.

28 Jan 2014 6:21 PM
Seaurchin51

Happy Birthday Penny. Keep well and happy and thank you for the memories.

28 Jan 2014 6:32 PM
Debbiek

Happy Birthday, Penny!!  I wish you many more happy birthdays.  Steve, I absolutely loved this article, brought tears to my eyes reading some of these "cards"  and I am so glad that Sham was included.  Secretariat was so special, but Sham helped make him that way and I will always love him also.  I was nine when Secretariat won his Triple Crown and even at that age I understood just what those two horses were accomplishing.  Takes my breath away to this day.  I visited Claiborne Farm this past September and paid my respects to both Secretariat and Riva, told them both how much I loved them (and, of course, the others too).  Reading this just brought back the happiness of my visit there.  Thank you so much for doing this, Steve.

28 Jan 2014 11:41 PM
Remington

Nice writing, Steve. Penny Chenery sure is a special lady and wonderful ambassador for racing. I live close to Meadow Farm and have had the pleasure of walking in Secretariat's foaling shed. Your detail of including Capital Asset, Capito and the names of the staff who kept Meadow Stud running separates you from the rest of the pack. Keep the great memories coming!

29 Jan 2014 9:00 AM
Old Old Cat

My God.. you've done it again.  You made my eyes water and my heart sing. What a wonderful tribute to a fine bunch of people and horses.  Happy birthday Penny and many more.  You are a blessing. And God bless you too Steve, you're the greatest.

29 Jan 2014 11:23 AM
Daina Ryan

Steve - oh my goodness - this is soo good!  Your writing is soo engaging - - simply beautiful and what a GREAT concept.  This is going into my Secretariat archives.   I was 14 in 1973 and I had newspaper articles about Secretariat taped all over my walls (wish I still had them).  I was one of the many young girls in love with horses and he really caught ones attention.  I knew he was something special but I was also too young to really know what I was seeing. But because of him (and Man O'War - the first book I really loved as a child) I have been an avid racing fan -always looking, reading, watching and waiting for another like him (and there have been some great ones) but as the years tick on (41 years later) it's pretty clear now -first at how naive I was and second that I was just one of the fortunate to have been alive to witness something so extaordinary, a gift from the heavens - a racehorse that we will most likely never see the likes of again.  I just want to go back - scoop it all up, hold it tight and never let it go.... and so thanks Steve for taking us back there once again. And last but not least - HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY PENNY - you're the real kind of star. Someone to be truly admired and respected. I can't imagine how proud your father really is.

29 Jan 2014 1:01 PM
Aleine

I actually sent Ms. Chenery a birthday card. I hope she received it. It had a very large print of a Magnolia

Virginius (magnolia tree bloom) on the front of the card.

From one Virginian to another. Hope she liked the card.

29 Jan 2014 11:07 PM
Aleine

Kinda neat that "The Meadow" is very useful to the public in modern day. The Meadow Event Park will live on and on and be useful with each event happening there. Long live The Meadow!

29 Jan 2014 11:09 PM
cin

Happy Birthday Penny.  I won 5 HOY titles in a row and ran 1 1/2 miles faster than Secretariat and my owner was a wonderful woman.  Happy Birthday Penny.  My owner is a nice classy lady with blonde hair too and I won the Triple Crown.  Both Kelso and Affirmed can't understand why the horse and owner are both so overrated.  But, happy birthday.  "cute" stories from so called animals and people that unfortunately are no longer with us. It's ashame Secretariat, Kelso and Affirmed are all gone.  Maybe we'll get another super horse one day so the horses of the past aren't forgotten, ALL OF THEM.

30 Jan 2014 12:55 PM
LongStoryTB

Exquisitely written!  I go on a journey every time I read something you have written.  Glad I have my own office, as I usually sit back here, tears running down my face.  Thank you for everything you write about.  You are a MASTER!

30 Jan 2014 2:09 PM
LongStoryTB

Happy Birthday Miss Penny!!!!!

30 Jan 2014 2:11 PM
arlingtonfan

Steve--you are the best! Thank you so much for this beautiful piece. I never knew that Sham, too, had a larger-than-normal heart. Never met him, but I was very lucky to meet Secretariat, Riva, Spectacular Bid, Nijinsky II, and Danzig (before he hit it big as a sire!) at Claiborne in 1984. I'll always treasure that memory.

30 Jan 2014 2:47 PM
Alicia McQuilkin

A very happy birthday Ms. Chenery!

And thank you for being not only a successful woman in an industry that is strongly male, but also being a strong-willed, classy woman during a time when women weren't supposed to be both...in a male-exclusive industry. Career women forty years later should be inspired by you!

31 Jan 2014 9:13 AM
MyBigRed

Happy Birthday to my Most Favorite Woman, (other than my mother) that I ALWAYS look up to!! You are such an inspiration to me & my horses :)Thanks Steve for the Happy Birthday to Penny Masterpiece !!

31 Jan 2014 11:19 AM
Wiltsjen

Wasn't expecting to find myself bawling my eyes out over that post! Phew! Lovely.

31 Jan 2014 3:36 PM