These are not your typical trivia questions, as they are meant to
be informative and fun even more than testing your knowledge of racing, They
are just put in question form. Some are fairly easy, but there are others that
are more offbeat. So have fun with them. I will provide the answers to the
questions no one gets in the comments section on Thursday. Remember, there is
no fun Googling it. If you don't know the answer, guess or just wait until
Thursday. Or you don't have to answer at all. Just wait and learn a bit of offbeat racing history when the answers are posted.
1. What horse won a six-furlong stakes in 1:08 1/5 then three weeks
later won a mile and a quarter stakes in 1:58 3/5?
2. In Dr. Fager's world record mile, name the horse in the field who
once held the world record for the mile and name the horse in the field who set
the fastest fractions in the history of the Kentucky Derby?
3. What filly won the Adirondack Stakes by 9 3/4 lengths, Matron by 6 1/2 lengths,
Frizette, Alcibiades by 21 lengths and Selima at 2; the Ashland, Kentucky
Oaks by 4 1/4 lengths, Alabama by 16 lengths, and beat older fillies in the
Delaware Handicap and Spinster by 5 lengths at 3; and, did not win a championship at 2 or 3?
4. What major sprint race for males and females had three future Hall
of Fame fillies in the field and what major stakes for females had three future
Hall of Fame fillies in the field?
5. What were the worst odds (not the highest, but the worst) on a
horse in the history of the Kentucky Derby?
What horse who had finished out of the money in his only stakes
appearance in 27 career starts defeated three future Hall of Famers in three
different races in the same year?
In the Onion/Secretariat Whitney Stakes, who
finished third, how far behind Secretariat was he, and how many starts had he
made in his career going into that race (within five)?
8. In the 1984 Jockey Club Gold Cup, John Henry barely defeated 50-1
shot and former $10,000 claimer Peat Moss by a head. Peat Moss did win
three stakes in his career. What did those three stakes have in common?
9. Who is the shortest-priced favorite ever in the Kentucky Derby at
odds of 2-5?
10. What Triple Crown winner was not favored in the Belmont Stakes?
11. Who was the first horse to go off as the favorite in all three
Triple Crown races and didn't win any of them?
12. When Secretariat broke the world's record in the Marlboro Cup who
held the previous record?
13. What horse ran the second fastest mile and a half behind
Secretariat in Belmont Park history?
14. What did Calumet's two Triple Crown winners, Citation and Whirlaway,
have in common in their preparation for the Kentucky Derby?
15. Despite winning group 1 stakes in England and Italy, this horse,
that same year, won the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe at odds of 119-1.
16. Name the two fillies who finished second to legends Dr. Fager and
Spectacular Bid in major stakes?
17. Name the rivalry in which the two protagonists finished first
and second the six times they met, all in major stakes, swapping 1:32 and
change miles in back-to-back stakes.
18. What trainer found out before saddling a first time starter that
he actually owned the horse, being in the recently deceased owner's will, and
then saw that horse go on to a Hall of Fame career?
19. Name the former $13,000 claimer who upset Summer Guest and
Numbered Account in back-to-back major stakes and the former $17,000 claimer
who upset Forego in a major stakes, all in the same year, and what did they
have in common?
20. What filly won the English Oaks and French Oaks in a nine-day
period, and who is the only filly (at least in modern times) to finish second
in the English Derby? Both were owned by prominent international owners.
21. What horse won the Breeders' Cup Classic one week after his
22. What Kentucky Derby winner won his first stakes at River Downs?
23. What Kentucky Derby winner made 21 starts as a 2-year-old and made
his career debut in January as a 2-year-old?.
24. What horse won the two-mile Jockey Club Gold Cup and was voted
champion sprinter the same year?
25. Ruffian won nine consecutive stakes. What was the common
denominator of all those victories?
26. What Belmont Stakes winner prepped for the race in a 1 1/16-mile
allowance race on the grass?
27. What future Hall of Famer broke his maiden at Jefferson Downs in
28. What champion and Hall of Fame filly made her career debut at
Fonner Park in Nebraska?
29. Braulio Baeza rode Hall of Famer Arts and Letters in 10 of his
last 11 races starting with the Kentucky Derby. Who did he ride in the other race,
what race was it, and why did he take off Arts and Letters?
30. What do these five horses have in common (Saigon Warrior, one win
in 17 starts and beaten 31 lengths in only stakes appearance), On the Money
(one win in 13 starts), Royal Leverage (one win in 10 starts and broke maiden
in $10,000 claiming race), List (two wins in 20 starts), and Fourulla (no wins
in four starts)?