Dynaformer Dynasty

(By Lizz Kunz)

Dynaformer, who will be 27 when the 2012 Northern Hemisphere breeding season commences, has consistently sired winners of races all across the world since first retiring to Wafare Farm in 1990. While it's no secret that this big bay with an "I'm boss" attitude knows how make a determined runner, many in the Thoroughbred market overlook or underestimate Three Chimneys Farm's elder stallion. Even as he ages and his book size becomes increasingly selective, the quality of his progeny has not diminished.  Wise buyers will be prepared to take advantage of what this stallion has to offer in his final crops.

At the end of this past summer, Dynaformer had only five yearlings offered in the select sessions of Keeneland's September yearling sale. While the Dynaformers sold better than they had last year, none broke the $1 million mark. His sales topper was the second foal out of grade I-winning mare Bohemian Lady (a half to Any Given Saturday), a colt that showed potential to his breeders even as a foal. He sold for $725,000 to Shadwell Estate Company after impressing with his pedigree and attractive conformation. It's hard not to question: If this colt had been by A.P. Indy, would he have brought more money as he passed through the the ring? Dynaformer doesn't tend to throw the most attractive and well put together yearlings--a reality that has always affected his sale prices--but he sure knows how to make a runner. His ability to get winners has not waned with age, either. Let's have a quick look at some of Dynaformer's big runners from the past few years.

One great example would be a filly that sold for only $200,000 at Fasig-Tipton's 2009 Saratoga yearling sale, yet has won $1,066,879 so far in her career. Blue Bunting's most recent success came October 30 when she won the Bet365.com E.B.F. Montrose Fillies' Stakes following three group I victories and a fourth place finish in the Investec Epsom Oaks (Eng-I). While she failed to defeat the males in the Ladbrokes St. Leger (Eng-I), her other tries this year have more than proven her ability to run. Impressively, these group I efforts took place on five different courses.

Dynaformer's filly Rainbow View was champion 2-year-old filly in Europe in 2008 after winning the Meon Valley Stud Fillies' Mile (Eng-I). She went on to win the Coolmore Fusaichi Pegasus Matron Stakes (Ire-I) and was named highweighted filly in Ireland for 2009. Throughout her career she earned $1,129,814. Rainbow View's pedigree is phenomenal. Her dam, No Matter What (by Nureyev), was the winner of the 2000 Del Mar Oaks (gr. IT) and went on to produce graded stakes winners Winter View and Just As Well, the latter also grade I-placed in the Arlington Million and Woodbine's Northern Dancer Turf Stakes.

Another horse that reinforces Dynaformer's international credibility as a stallion is Americain, winner of $5,181,240, the majority of which he earned in the two-mile 2010 Emirates Melbourne Cup (Aus-I). He recently added to his resume the Drake International Moonee Valley Gold Cup and the Zipping Sandown Classic (both Aus-II).

Any discussion of Dynaformer's success as an older stallion has to include the ill-fated Barbaro, winner of the 2006 Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I). A good stakes winner at 2, Barbaro was a perfect 6-for-6 leading up to his injury in the Preakness (gr. I). Other recent millionaires by Dynaformer include Dynaforce, winner of the 2008 Flower Bowl Invitational (gr. IT) and the Beverley D Stakes (gr. IT) a year later, and Brilliant Speed, winner of the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) in April. Keeneland September grad Gozzip Girl sold for $60,000 and went on to win $814,194, with a signature victory in the 2009 American Oaks Invitational (gr. IT). The list of Dynaformer's top-level latter-day progeny continues....

It is hard to pin specific accolades on this stallion. It seems that he is more successful through his fillies, but he has the ability to produce colts that can compete internationally in the classics. While he is celebrated for his turf runners, his offspring have proved their ability on synthetics and dirt. Dynaformer's runners can cover a vast range of distances: Though they tend to be stayers, they can fall back to score at a mile or stretch out to win routes like the Melbourne Cup. The typical Dynaformer develops as a 3- or 4-year old, but it's not unusual to see his sons and daughters succeed in graded or group races as juveniles. With this level of success, one would expect his offspring to command big money at the sales, yet they never seem to make the headlines until they hit the track. Maybe it's the lack of flair in their appearance, or the fact that he doesn't have the reputation of being a sire of sires.

Dynaformer may be getting older--it can be predicted that his breeding years are numbered--yet his offspring never lack in talent. Offspring of the Three Chimneys stallion tend to have outstanding pedigrees and provide more value for their price than almost any other stallion on the market today. He's not to be overlooked in his final years at stud.

So--who's your favorite Dynaformer? Which son has the best opportunity to carry on the Dynaformer legacy at stud? What type of mare would you like to send to Dynaformer in his final years?

Karen in Indiana

My favorite Dynaformer is McDynamo. He's a 3 time Eclipse award winner for Steeplechase. Like probably most Dynaformers, he was a little opinionated & decided he like to jump, not race flats. He was blessed enough to be with people who let him and he rewarded them greatly. Dynaformer has been one of the leading steeplechase sires for years.

It seems most male progeny are gelded, but Purim is one that has started carrying on the Dynaformer line, Americain has a solid pedigree and hopefully will be able to live up to his daddy's prowess.

16 Nov 2011 4:28 PM
Roberto

The U.S. stud market is in dire need of a good son of Dynaformer. Temple City and Purim are a good start, but to guarantee the survival of the line we need several more. Brilliant Speed would have been a top choice if he'd managed to pull off the BC Turf a few weeks ago.

The only way to guarantee good sons is to send good mares to Dynaformer in his last year (probably).  The one I'd love to see is Zenyatta.  Don't laugh.  She's built big and long and needs a stallion who will complement her (NOT one that will "balance her out" by just being smaller). Roberto 2 X 3 isn't too close, either, as the resulting colt would have as his inbreeding.

16 Nov 2011 4:30 PM
Alexandra Boyd

My favourite horse by Dynaformer is of course the great Barbaro. But I think Dynaformer's son Lucarno might carry on his stallion's legacy. And if I could breed any mare to Dynaformer it would be this year's Canadian International winner Sarah Lynx cause she is a great distance horse and loves the turf like Dynaformer. But I do hope the Jacksons get a filly by Dynaformer out of La ville Rouge by Carson City. I would love to see a full sister to Barbaro, Ncanor, Lentenor, Margano, and the new colt.

16 Nov 2011 4:39 PM
Criminal Type

Without question, Havre De Grace. the nick is an AA+ with an average winning distance of over 10 furlongs. I also Like Shared Account with him (2010 BC F & M Turf winner)The nick is an A. Sagamore could use some Dynaformer blood.

I too am hoping that the Jacksons get a filly out of La Ville Rouge, they have stated publically that they really want a filly off that cross. She, La Ville Rouge has so far only produced male offspring (sadly, she slipped her one female fetus the year after Margano was born) La Ville Rouge is in foal to Dynaformer again for 2012, I think with another colt but I expect they will breed her back to him again. If not, I would like to see her go to Sea the Stars or Galileo. The Jacksons have bred their mare, Bordeghera by Alysheba(dam of George Washington) to both of these stallions.

16 Nov 2011 5:00 PM
Deb C

Karen, I'm with you.  I witnessed McDynamo's 5 consecutive victories at Moorland Farms.  I've always been a Dynaformer fan and got to see him at Three Chimney's last year.  I witnessed his "irritation" with Rahy as he was walked past Rahy's stall.  Bet he misses him.

17 Nov 2011 7:40 AM
Tracy27

I of course loved Barbaro,but all of Dynaformer's offspring are special.He is one horse I would love to meet in person.I think he should be renamed Big Daddy D!

17 Nov 2011 10:27 AM
Delrene

I had the extreme privilige to visit Three Chimneys the year Barbarao won the KD.  Was witness to a covering by Dynaformer during our tour.  Quite an experience, but the guides/all those attending made it such an incredible learning experience about the complete process.  Favorites, of course Barbaro and all his brothers and I have most of his recent progeny in my Equibase stable.  He is an imposing figure.  May he continue to remain healthy.  From what I saw and have read, he is a handful and knows he is the man.

17 Nov 2011 12:25 PM
SOUTHBENDFARM

Roberto.....sending Zenyatta to Dynaformer would be 2x4 inbreeding to Roberto in the foal.  It might be something to try since he is so hard headed and she is so easy going.  Distance sure would not be a problem and it sure would not be a chestnut... Dynaformer seems to work extremely well with Mr Prospector line mares.

As for my favorite Dynaformer.....Barbaro is the easy winner.

17 Nov 2011 12:56 PM
Bad Brad

My favorite Dynaformer?    A hard knocking gelding who raced until he was 9 y.o. and won $4.7 million. He still holds the record for BC Classic appearances with 5.

Not bad for a homebred from a small farm in Kansas City , MO. His fans can visit him at The KY Derby Museum during Churchill Downs race meets.  I  knew about him even before he started racing.  I visit him every year at the Museum and while he is home .    He is my buddy.....PERFECT DRIFT .

17 Nov 2011 4:16 PM
Cassandra.Says

Stayer x stayer usually = hunter.

2 x 4 is likely to waste a year of production for both parents on a foal who is displaying undesirable recessive genes.

Exception: the more Ribot the better.

I'd like to see him bred to a good racemare descending from one of the more refined Northern Dancer sires such as Nureyev. Not Nijinsky II.

17 Nov 2011 8:06 PM
sceptre

How quickly we forget...The dashing, and sometimes truly brilliant DYNEVER.

18 Nov 2011 1:04 AM
Deb C

Looks like we may have another steeplechase horse of the year with a Dynaformer horse, Tax Ruling!!

20 Nov 2011 11:55 AM
Rachel O

Barbaro and McDynamo. MCDynamo goes fox-hunting these days, just for fun.

21 Nov 2011 10:56 AM
PointGivenTCL

Film Maker, for sure! What a fantastically consistent, hard-knocking, talented turf mare she was, and would have been a two-time BC Filly and Mare Turf winner if not for the redoubtable Ouija Board. And another like her: Riskaverse! What a beautiful, hard-knocking mare she was as well. Still hopeful they'll reproduce themselves, one of these days.

25 Nov 2011 12:02 AM
Linda Wood

My Favorite: Definitely Barbaro !!

Yes, a foal out of Zenyatta by Dynaformer would be spectacular!

Beauty, Grace, Stamina , Gentleness and Robust all rolled into one amazing body.

26 Nov 2011 9:15 PM
Melissa P

I'm with Bad Brad - PERFECT DRIFT!!! Love the big guy! So glad to be able to visit him at the Kentucky Derby Museum. He really is a character (much more mellow than his dad). BTW, we were lucky enough to breed to Dynaformer his first two years at stud. Can you believe his fee was $5,000? Always have been able to choose new stallions who go on to be VERY good. Now, I need to have some mares again.

08 Dec 2011 9:17 AM