The Lily Queen: Blind Luck Proves Pollard's Vision Correct in Finding the Lucky One.

By Jennifer Wirth, The Saturday Post

Luck is an interesting thing.

You find it when you least expect it.

And, in some moments, luck finds you.

In the case of Blind Luck, it arrives when you’re not looking.

In April of 2007, a mare named Lucky One gave birth to a foal in Kentucky at Fairlawn Farm.

The foal’s father, Pollard’s Vision, was blind in one eye and had been named for sharing the same trait with Red Pollard, Seabiscuit’s Jockey.

After multiple graded-stakes victories during his career, Pollard’s Vision was eventually retired after his final race at Saratoga in August of 2005.

It was the same track where he had begun his career with a 12½ length maiden victory.

A few years after Pollard’s Vision ran his last race at Saratoga, the daughter of the half-blind horse and the one “lucky” mare was entering the sales ring.

She was initially sold as a yearling for $11,000 at the 2008 Fasig-Tipton Kentucky July sale.

Roughly a year later, the two-year-old filly was back in the ring at auction.

In April of 2009, she was entered in the Ocala Breeder’s April sale.  After failing to garner serious attention from bidders, the filly was bought back for $10,000.

Roughly two months later, the filly set foot on the track for a $40,000 maiden claiming race at Calder Race Course.

It was the first time her name appeared in a program.

“Blind Luck.”

As she entered the gates, the $10,000 filly faced odds of 5 to 1 from the betting public.

But, luck doesn’t mind odds.

The sheer nature of luck is beating them.

As Blind Luck claimed a 13¼ length maiden victory, she began to mirror Pollard’s Vision in finding the Lucky One.

Blind Luck cleared her maiden race in the same runaway fashion as her father had done in his 12½ length maiden race at Saratoga.

Yet, few saw Blind Luck when she appeared in the gates – she didn’t get claimed in her debut.

The nature of luck can elude the eyes.

Yet, luck didn’t elude Pollard’s Vision.

And, after the race, Blind Luck didn’t escape the vision of Trainer Jerry Hollendorfer.

After she broke her maiden by 13¼ lengths, Hollendorfer privately purchased Blind Luck.

He saw a stakes-bound horse.

And, Blind Luck agreed.

In her next eight starts, Blind Luck captured five victories – four of which were in Grade 1 races.

In April of 2010, Blind Luck was shipped from California to Kentucky to challenge a field of rivals in the Kentucky Oaks.

As the gates opened, Blind Luck hung at the back of the pack as the rest of the contenders bulleted around the oval.

It appeared her luck had run out.

Then, Blind Luck took hold in the race.

As the field turned for the wire, Blind Luck picked off her rivals in a heart-stopping victory.

She won by a nose.

As Blind Luck was draped in a Garland of Lilies, she proved Pollard’s Vision correct.

Blind Luck had just claimed her fifth Grade 1 victory.

And, it appears her luck isn’t running out.

In her last race, Blind Luck nipped her rivals at the wire in the Delaware Oaks to claim her eighth victory in twelve career starts.

As Blind Luck heads toward Saratoga for the Alabama Stakes, she will race around the same circle where Pollard’s Vision started and finished his career.

And, as she stamps out her own hoof print on the Saratoga track, she is a perfect vision of luck.

Blind Luck.

Flora

Nice story - Pollard's Vision was one of my favorite racehorses, and Blind Luck has inherited his gutsy will to win, as well as his looks. She is a lucky find indeed!

11 Aug 2010 4:11 PM
Rggc

Best of luck, Blind Luck. I just happen to see her maiden win while watching from Monmouth. I said "now theres a filly with talent." I didn't even realize she was in a claiming event, I only saw a star. Glad she is going to Saratoga to do her daddy proud!

11 Aug 2010 4:36 PM
bellesforever

What an awesome real live story..I hope she races for awhile..she sure is fun to watch isn't she?

11 Aug 2010 4:42 PM
Rachel

She sure makes stretch runs fun!

I liked her daddy a lot, he was always in my exotics...I fell madly in love with her in one of her losing efforts, I forget now what race, she was trapped on the rail with no where to go...fire in the eye always gets me ♥

11 Aug 2010 4:47 PM
AnneM

What a grand filly she is. However, watching one of her races is not for the feint of heart <vbg>..

11 Aug 2010 7:41 PM
GJU

Thanks for a nice story. I enjoyed reading that.

11 Aug 2010 8:07 PM
MRO

Even though I usually support the Slews, I'll be cheering for Blind Luck over Devil May Care (Malibu Moon-A.P. Indy-Seattle Slew) in the Alabama. I love it when horses who are partially blind make it to the races & do well enough to prove everyone wrong, so of course, I was a Pollard's Vision fan. Now he is doing it again at stud. Blind Luck is one amazing filly. Best of luck to her at Saratoga.

11 Aug 2010 8:16 PM
catsvx

She looks like her Dad, runs like him, and has his extraordinary heart. What more can you ask for? Making her Daddy proud! Breeders Cup here she comes!!

11 Aug 2010 8:23 PM
Cynthia

GREAT STORY. Pollard's Vision was a true warrior. Watching him run with his eye patch I could not believe how he could win so many races. His offspring Blind Luck is also a warrior. Her come from behind style leaves you gasping for air everytime she runs. I love this great filly. Good Luck in your next race.

12 Aug 2010 1:08 AM
LouAnn Cingel

Absolutely wonderful story!  Blind Luck an absolutely exceptional filly.  She always takes my breath away each and every time she runs.  Such heart, such beauty in motion!  Another love affair has begun-I wish her and her connections all the best-she's such a gift!

LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

12 Aug 2010 9:04 AM
Jennifer Wirth

Thanks for the wonderful comments!

12 Aug 2010 6:50 PM
ZATT

Beautiful piece Jennifer.  Much like her dad, it seems that Blind Luck thrives when presented with obstacles.  It is difficult not to appreciate a horse like that.

12 Aug 2010 11:21 PM
Householder

We finally will get the Blind Luck Devil May Care matchup we should have had in the Kentucky Oaks.  Although Evening Jewell is no slouch in her new turf career.

Hollendorfer...probably one of the more undertated trainers in the country.  Does anyone remember another Oaks winner Lite Light?  How about Heetseeker, Hysterical Lady (a nose off Ginger Punch in the BC goo) and the unfortunate Tuscan Evening.

After her Oaks score a reporter asked if he was shipping Blind Luck to the Preakness.  He quickly answered with an enfatic "No!" it's too soon. Now there is a man who knows his horses.  Not someone out for media attention, glory, or to show everyone that he owns the best 3 year old filly in the county.

13 Aug 2010 1:04 PM
Householder

Lite Light and Meadow Star in the Mother Goose.  Must see You Tube of the day!  I won't give it away but I think they were 17 lengths in front of the field at the wire.

13 Aug 2010 1:12 PM