The Sweet Life, Cont

I mentioned in my last post that while I was on site at Lane’s End Farm "life got even sweeter".  Well, that's because I got the opportunity to photograph Sweet Life, dam of Life Is Sweet, and champion Sweet Catomine.  Sweet Life was named the 2009 Broodmare of the Year, so it was quite an honor.
Sweet Life 2
Order this Photo.

Sweet Life and her buddy Perfectly Pretty were being brought into the barn for grooming. Perfectly Pretty came out for the photo session to keep Sweet Life relaxed and was just out of picture range. Perfectly Pretty is the dam of grade I winner Idiot Proof.
Sweet Life 1
Order this Photo.

In foal to Street Cry and due in February, the 16-year-old Sweet Life looked good. After the photo shoot, the two mares were lead back to their field. Mares in the field came up as Sweet Life and Perfectly Pretty approached. By watching their movements it appeared that Sweet Life was the leader of this broodmare band and her handlers confirmed that observation. Perfectly Pretty and the other mares followed Sweet Life as she trotted and then galloped off into the field.
Sweet Life
Order this Photo.
Sweet Life
Order this Photo.

For our weekly print edition of The Blood-Horse, I photographed “Shortlisters” for a feature article by Deirdre (Dede) Biles.  Look for it in the September 4 issue. A hardworking group of people, Shortlisters are an important part of the equation during horse auctions. I think you guys will really enjoy some of the sites I was able to capture for this piece and I will share them next week.

In the meantime, here is one more of Sweet Life and the other mares at Lane's End. Thanks for all your great feedback and look for visits with other mares soon.  It is always great to catch up with these wonderful horses. Your suggestions have been great! Keep them coming! I'll keep photographing.
Sweet Life
Order this Photo.

sherpa

Oh my goodness, Sweet Life is gorgeous!  These are the first pictures I've seen of her.  She sure doesn't look 16 - still has a great bod! No surprise she's the Alpha Mare of her little band of sisters. :-)  Hope to see pictures of her Street Cry foal next Spring.

er - did you get to see Sweet Catomine?

Can't wait to see the "Shortlisters" both here and in the 9/04 BH!!

Thank you Ms. Eberhardt.  The direction you're taking with this blog will fill a huge void - especially for fans of the female persuasion - but I'm sure the gents will enjoy it, too.  It's a tough assignment so we know it will take a woman to do it! LOL

27 Aug 2010 7:41 PM
silverstable

If you have a chance, please photograph Xtra Heat and You.  Thanks!

27 Aug 2010 8:30 PM
Michelle

Thanks so much for the photos and the info.  So much is made over the sires that people seem to forget about the mares.  I would love to see photos of the mares and their foals.  Some first foals of Colonel John, Einstein and Summer Bird maybe?

27 Aug 2010 11:21 PM
Robin from Maryland

Great pics, keep em coming!

28 Aug 2010 12:12 AM
pat

Annie Thank you so much for the articles on Life is Sweet and her mom Sweet Life.  I had to go back and fourth 6 times looking at the pictures of daughter and mom. The head picture of them. I thought i was looking at the same horse. They are identical right up to the long ears. Again thank you and please keep this going its true not much is written of these  great dams. Pat

28 Aug 2010 12:35 AM
buckeyejudy

Noted in a prior blog of Wait A While's whereabouts? Also interested to hear if she has had a foal, is carrying a foal, or what? Have not heard anything since she retired in early 2009. Any word would be helpful.

28 Aug 2010 6:37 AM
wee-o

Thanks so much for the pictures.  They are great and keep them coming.

28 Aug 2010 7:47 AM
Anne Eberhardt Keogh

Lane's End is home to an amazing group of broodmares, some top producers as well top runners just off the track who will be having their first foals in 2011. Sweet Catomine also is part of the Lane's End broodmare band. I saw her from a distance, as she was in the field beside Sweet Life. She was grazing with another group of mares.

28 Aug 2010 9:17 AM
LouAnn Cingel

Absolutely beautiful pics. I enjoy seeing those horses as they look so happy and well taken care of.  Gorgeous and please share some more or your pics-they are absolutely wonderful eye candy!

LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

28 Aug 2010 11:50 AM
Laura

Thanks again Anne~beautiful photos as always.  Sweet Life is such a pretty mare--it's so nice to see the dam of Sweet Catomine, Life Is Sweet, and Calimonco in pictures!  Looking forward to upcoming photos and stories as you visit more farms!

28 Aug 2010 1:23 PM
Love 'em all!

I'm really loving this blog! So glad you are continuing the 'mare visit' series.

We now know where Life is Sweet got her good looks.  So, Sweet Life is 'top banana' in this group, huh?  They all look so happy and seem to get along great.

Looking forward to the Sept. 4th issue.

28 Aug 2010 1:34 PM
Sandra in Saratoga

Great photos and stories. It's not just the stallion that's important. I always consider the dam's family first.

More stories like this behind the scenes.

Thanks.

28 Aug 2010 8:40 PM
ZJ

She looks awesome! I hope I see her when I am in Kentucky in the Fall! Beautiful mare.

Does anyone know where Thor's Echo has gone? Thanks.

29 Aug 2010 5:23 PM
Jan

God at his finest!  What beautiful ladies!  Thank you so much for sharing with us. They look very happy.

30 Aug 2010 3:10 PM
Frank J.

Anne, just wondering is Perfectly Pretty a daugher of Pleasantly Perfect?

30 Aug 2010 3:33 PM
FusaichiPegasusK

Second the Xtra Heat nomination, and maybe you could get Silent Sighs as well?  She used to be at Mill Ridge, but I'm not sure if she's still there.

30 Aug 2010 4:36 PM
green0

How about Jeanne Jones?  She has her final foal at her side and resides at Brandywine Farm.  Very cool old girl who was a member of one of the greatest filly generations ever.

30 Aug 2010 5:31 PM
MRO

Please do continue the broodmare series. We just don't get to see enough of the wonderful mares after they retire from the track. I would not have minded seeing Perfectly Pretty, but there are  just so many deserving of recognition. Any chance of getting to Juddmonte to see Flute & Honest Lady.

30 Aug 2010 7:45 PM
catsvx

Perfectly Pretty is 11 yrs. old and is by Bertrando out of Lasting Beauty.

31 Aug 2010 3:53 PM
easy goer

Thank you so much for checking in on the ladies! I love it! Please keep the pictures and stories coming!!!!

A few more I would like to see:

Private Feeling

Vertingueux

Proud Spell

My Flag

Lotta Kim

Better than Honour (of course!)

Ouija Board

Thanks again for this wonderful addition to Bloohorse!

31 Aug 2010 4:19 PM
Ruffian1

God bless the broodmares. They get little recognition. Pleased to see so many others feel the way I do about them. Thanks for the great article and pics Anne.

p.s. I'm a little biased admittedly, but Mien is quite a beautiful mare. Would love to see some of her.

31 Aug 2010 5:13 PM
sherpa

I keep coming back to look at that top picture of Sweet Life.  I swear I've seen that exact expression in portraits of human queens - the kind gaze, the slight smile, the DIGNITY she personifies.  Just love her!

31 Aug 2010 5:55 PM
Capone

Gorgeous mares! And great shots. Keep up the good work! :)

31 Aug 2010 7:33 PM
FernieFernFern

Thanks for the wonderful photos - any behind the scenes stories and photos are much appreciated - especially since I am too far away to easily visit these farms.

On another note - do you know of Elloluv?  She is at Adena Springs and would love to see photos of her - I loved watching her racing career.

Thanks again.

01 Sep 2010 9:29 AM
Savanna

Some more mares I would like to see!

Sweet Catomine

Storm Flag Flying

Golden Ballet

Where's Baliey(if you can)

For The Flag(please)

Torchera(Da Tara's dam)

Bedazzle(Street Sense's dam please)

Thank you for these beautiful pictures of Sweet Life and Life I Sweet!

30 Jan 2011 2:48 PM
Afleet Treet

Anne,

I must have MISSED this blog entirely!! Coincidentally I found it the very DAY after Life Is Sweet foaled a healthy Smart Strike colt! The Sweet Life has some fabulous daughters for sure...speaking of her daughters...WHERE is Sweet Catomine?? I adored her and knwo she has a AP Indy foal in '06 and another AP Indy foal in '07 that died but have heard NOTHING since. Can you help and fill us in??

24 Mar 2011 7:44 PM