Rachel Alexandra Fan Day

Rachel Alexandra fan day finally arrived! Fans like me had signed up on Facebook in February to visit the Horse of the Year during one of four sessions planned for March 25, 2011. Rachel Alexandra, owned by Jess Jackson and Barbara Banke, now resides on their Stonestreet Farm near Lexington, Ky.
Rachel Alexandra Fan Day 1
The Stonestreet staff was organized, friendly and accommodating—answering questions and welcoming everyone on this special day. Upon arrival we went to the office where photos and magazine covers of Rachel hang on the walls. Her trophies were on display with continuous video of her races. Fans signed their names on a board surrounding her photo.

Next, shuttles took fans to Rachel’s barn where she stood for us to pet and take photos. She was relaxed and moving her ears, alert to all of the 25 visitors around her. We passed our cameras to each other so all could have a photo taken with the champion.
Rachel Alexandra Fan Day 2
Her handler let a fan give Rachel a treat and he mentioned that Rachel and her paddock buddy, Hot Dixie Chick, always are together as they graze in their field.

Back at the office, fans were treated to drinks and food and presented with chocolate horse head cookies with Rachel’s signature blaze in white cream, plus a photo of Rachel.
Rachel Alexandra Fan Day 3
Fans had been waiting to see Rachel since her retirement and the wait was well worth it.

View the full slideshow to see more images from my trip to the Rachel Alexandra Fan Day.

Be sure you take a minute to check out this video too.

[brightcove videoid="855808297001"]

Also, if you haven't had the chance yet, make sure you check out the images of Rachel’s full sister that I posted last week. She lives just down the road from Rachel at Dede McGehee’s Heaven Trees Farm. View images of Rachel Alexandra's full sister.

Plus, I will soon be planning my next few visits for the blog.  You guys let me know who you would like to see next and I will see what I can do.  Thanks everybody!

Debbie

thank you so much for sharing your photos.  I miss seeing her at Belmont - I'm a big fan!

25 Mar 2011 7:31 PM
Judy G /California

Thanks for sharing the day with us! It's nice to finally see Rachel after all of these months. I hope she enjoyed her day as much as the visitor!! I spotted one of my friends there :-)

25 Mar 2011 7:32 PM
Agnes Donohue

Anne - love the blog and photos!

25 Mar 2011 7:33 PM
Blue Blue Sea

What an amazing time it was! I was on the same visit with you and see myself in some of these. Stonestreet and Mr. Jackson deserve huge props for allowing this. Best horse in recent memory and some of the best owners! The staff was AMAZING

25 Mar 2011 7:36 PM
Curlin Bandwagonner

They are wonderful and you told the story of the day so well with words and pictures!!! I love the cookie, but the real Rachel was by far the best treasure! ( I don't wanna wash my hand!!! lol)

25 Mar 2011 7:39 PM
Scenceable

I cried looking though these photos, so beautiful. Thanks so much for posting!

25 Mar 2011 7:44 PM
quarterhossgal

Thank you so very much I am thrilled to see Rachel looking so great!  She gave all of us racing fans so much excitment during her 3 year old year. Hope she has a uneventful pregnancy and delivers

a healthy foal.

25 Mar 2011 7:45 PM
Serena

Thanks for sharing these wonderful photos!  She looks relaxed and happy.  What a great treat for the fans who got to visit.  Looks like she still knows where the camera is.... Peeking over fans' heads, you caught her alert eye!   I particularly like the snap of RA and the UK fan....what a sweet photo.    Nice to know she has a friend in Hot Chick!

25 Mar 2011 7:45 PM
Lydia

I'm jealous. ;-)

25 Mar 2011 7:50 PM
LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

Super fantastic!  Thanks for sharing and Rachel Alexandra looks as pretty as ever!  Love & Blessings to her and her little precious unborn foal!

25 Mar 2011 7:52 PM
Elizabeth

thank you!

25 Mar 2011 7:53 PM
carolyn

I have watched this video of her visit today, and I get the impression RA isn't to fan friendly like Zenyatta is.  I know she hasn't had the fan interaction like Zenyatta has either.   In all her pictures I seen on FB with her visitors her ears were back like she wasn't to happy.    I guess it will take time,  not all horses are fan friendly like Zen has been.  I think Rachel looks great.  I hope they will let her have visitors real often so she can feel loved.

25 Mar 2011 7:58 PM
txhorsefan

Wow, Anne, you've done it again!!  These are fabulous photos and I really do appreciate your blog and sharing these pictures.  Rachel Alexandra (the Great!) looks so peaceful and relaxed now - it is beautiful to see her in such a calm state.  I'm happy she has a best friend to hang out with, too.  Thank you!

25 Mar 2011 7:58 PM
Fran

Thanks you for, again, allowing me to be there to see Rachel through my computer.  The pictures are beautiful, and she looks very happy and a little bored with all the fuss!  LOL!

25 Mar 2011 7:59 PM
Linda

Ann, thank you so much for posting these photos and the video! Really lovely and seeing all this made me wish I was there.

25 Mar 2011 8:01 PM
Gina

She looks as beautiful as ever.  Looking forward to updates during her pregnancy. Blessings for good health for Mom Rachael and her baby.

25 Mar 2011 8:02 PM
Linda in Texas

So nice to see her up front, close and not excited waiting to race/

I hope she feels the peace and quiet that i did watching her video.

As much as i have followed her, i never noticed that her left front and right rear legs have white on them and the right front and left rear do not.

She is a sweetheart. Thanks to Stonestreet, The Jackson's and to the patient handler with her.

Very nice photos. Thank you Anne.

25 Mar 2011 8:03 PM
Karen in Texas

Thanks for the pictures! She looks really calm and content in her surroundings.

25 Mar 2011 8:06 PM
Chris H

It is so amazing that you took the pictures and video today and I get to see them -- isn't the internet a wonderful thing to be able to feel moments like these! Thank you so much for sharing ----

25 Mar 2011 8:08 PM
skyfire

Thank you...She's so beautiful!!! Wonder who the foal will look like....do you know if Curlin stamps his foals in his image?

Anne,  I hope you can take a trip to Japan, and find Azeri, and some of our ex-pat stallions!  Empire Maker, Silver Charm, etc.

25 Mar 2011 8:10 PM
Hope

Carolyn,

I also attended fan day and Rachel had her ears up a lot of the time...especially when people were petting her. Considering she had four different groups of people visit her throughout the day, there are going to be times her ears aren't up. She was very kind to everyone in our group...if she hadn't been, this day wouldn't have worked. And the staff there clearly adore her.

25 Mar 2011 8:11 PM
diana

Thank you StoneStreet Farms, it was an amazing day. :)

25 Mar 2011 8:12 PM
Amy

Thank you for sharing the beautiful photos! Would love to see Stardom Bound if you get the chance.

25 Mar 2011 8:13 PM
Margaret

Who should you visit next???? That's the easiest question I've had all day!  ZENYATTA!!!!!!

25 Mar 2011 8:16 PM
Carolyn

Rachel was amazing, to be sure, but ZENYATTA is the Queen of racedom!

25 Mar 2011 8:25 PM
carolyn

Margaret,   she just visited Zenyatta.  Its on her link here , it's titled " Zenyatta is looking good".  on the right side of this page at the very top.

Hope,  that makes me feel better, but those pictures say she may have been uneasy at times, but hey,  she hasnt' had the fanfare attention like Zen is used too,   she needs more fanfare time, I hope SS will let her get it, its good for her and her fans as well.    I think she looks calm and happy.   I'm pleased....she looks happier now than on the tracks...........I think she has been wanting this life for a long time now.......

25 Mar 2011 8:31 PM
jonni

Rachel is a Queen Also.  What took them so long to bring her. She could've won the Ladies's Classic. She was not given a Chance to Reverse the Lost to the Winner of This Year's LC.  I love Z and I love R Too.  Zenny Did Still My Heart......

25 Mar 2011 8:32 PM
LauraJ

Carolyn, I visited today too (same time as Anne). Rachel was very sweet and very patient. She basically stood in one place for a half hour or so while a bunch of strangers patted and kissed her and took her picture. She took it all in stride. Her groom held her loosely. She played with her lead but didn't act like she wanted to get away. She got all dressed up for us, too. She was clean and brushed, her mane was pulled, and her hooves were polished. She looked great.

25 Mar 2011 8:36 PM
Zen's Auntie

She looks good in fine flesh!

To some extent, you have to train horses to be gregarious but inside them they have a personality just like people do some are shy some are clowns but More interaction in a positive way then leads to enjoyment - always enhanced by TREATS - Motherhood can make them very lovey or VERY grumpy too I praY ALL THE BROODMARES ARE WELL!

25 Mar 2011 8:38 PM
Cheryl G

Thank You so much everyone for sharing your photos of Rachel, it really means so much to me.

25 Mar 2011 8:39 PM
LauraJ

@Skyfire, one of the lovely ladies who hosted us mentioned that there were a number of Curlin's offspring on the farm, and they all look like Daddy.

25 Mar 2011 8:39 PM
John T

I know a lot of people may disagree with me on this because

Rachel put on many fine performances but I think the greatest race she ever run is when

she won the Preakness.To me that was her defining moment as a great racehorse.Like so many great Mares

before her she may not go on to produce anything like herself,but here is hoping either her or Zenyatta will go on to break that

trend.

25 Mar 2011 8:42 PM
Cindy

Thanks for sharing the day with all of us who could not attend. No other horse has thrilled me or captured my heart like this Champion.  I am so glad Rachel Alexandra enyoyed the day as much as her visitors.  Awesome of Stonestreet to do this.  Absolutely great seeing these pictures.  Thank you.

25 Mar 2011 8:53 PM
Darla

Outstanding!!  Rachel looks great!!  Hope Stonestreet has another fan day with her!

25 Mar 2011 8:56 PM
Beav

I always felt that RA should win horse of the year, the year she did it.  At the same time, I love Zenyatta and had a chance to see her run.  Having had mares that were pregnant, they sometimes gets moody.  Guess some of them get morning sickness also!!  Anyway, thank you so much for sharing.

Whom to take pics of next?  How about Rags to Riches.  I'd love to see her and her baby.  That would be a real treat.

Isn't it really nice how people are starting to appreciate these fine female athletes?

Nothing like the smell of a horse in the morning! Or any time of day for that matter.

25 Mar 2011 9:14 PM
Ollie

I was so happy to see Rachel being

loved,appreciated and remembered

for what she gave to her many many

fans.  I miss her lots but I can see she is well taken care of and is doing just fine.She is a true Champion.

25 Mar 2011 9:17 PM
Michelle

Anne-

I was there at the same time as you but I have to say your photos are better!  I guess that's to be expected with you being a pro!  Thanks for the great work.  This is 11 months off, but how about photos of her baby and Hot Dixie Chick's baby this time next year?

Carolyn-

This isn't the time or place to discuss what mare is the "queen."  Rachel was gorgeous, very patient, and 100% class.  She posed, let a bunch of strangers pet all over her all day, and looked very happy and healthy!

25 Mar 2011 9:28 PM
Oxfarm

Still the most gorgeous horse.

What patience. I do not know many horses who will tolerate so many newcomers crowding, petting, kissing them on the muzzle, handling them in one day all while standing with feet nailed to the deck for over an hour.  What a sweetie. So nice to see that eye of hers again.

25 Mar 2011 9:38 PM
Paula Higgins

These pictures made me very happy! Thank you so much for posting them. She is just beautiful and she looks great. I am thrilled she is doing so well. Looking forward to her foal also. Thank you to the Jacksons and Stonestreet. She has been in my thoughts and many others' as well.

25 Mar 2011 9:39 PM
Kim

Anne,  I was in your group and in one of your pics.  Rachel was wonderful today.  Beautiful, sweet, patient.  She never moved for over 30 minutes.  I got lots of kissess and hugs.  It was a wonderful morning, one I'll never forget.  Is there any way to purchase a photo from your visit today?

25 Mar 2011 9:41 PM
nina

She's the best. Please go and see Indian Blessing.

25 Mar 2011 9:45 PM
Kurt

curious,living in california, was the groups limited to 25 for each of the 4 sessions? that sounds like a nice manageable number for a visit. wonder if L.E will do something similar for zenny.have heard LE isnt real fan friendly but i hope im wrong and that they do something similar. i think it would be cool if both farms would allow something like this for both of those great mares although i suspect at 100 a day, there would be a waiting list to see zenny...based on the crowds i saw at barn 55

25 Mar 2011 9:46 PM
AnneM

I am so glad to see photos of Rachel Alexandra again. I think she is so wonderful and lovely. Zenyatta has her fans but to me there was a brillance about Rachel that Zenyatta lacked. Looking forward to seeing her foal next year

25 Mar 2011 9:52 PM
Funny1991

I would love to see Curlin

25 Mar 2011 9:54 PM
diana

Kurt,

Yes, the groups were limited.  I got some great pics of Rachel (ears up) and was so impressed with her ease and willingness to have everyone pose with her.  She was especially cute watching her friends across the way who were watching over the fence, it was a great morning!

25 Mar 2011 9:59 PM
WILD HORSES

Truly great to get to see how well Rachel looks and appears to be doing. She has that glow in her eye that was missing in 2010 on the track. She looks great and I'm glad to see her and Hot Dixie Chick are BFFs. Thanks to Stonestreet for letting her legions of fans get a chance to see her periodically, as I understand these sessions will be held occasionally. Some of the mares I would love to see are Rags, Indian Blessing and Forever Together. I would also adore some pictures of Invasor. One horse I do have some concern about is Azeri. I know she is in Japan, but I would feel much better if I knew someone was keeping an eye on her wellbeing. If you have any news or know how she may be doing please post it. Thank You.

P.S. I truly can never get to much of the Queen, so any time at LE with pictures of her is always appreciated. Afterall, she is royalty.

25 Mar 2011 9:59 PM
Candace Serviss

Such wonderful photos it really captured the magic of the day.. to the staff who were wonderful and to the lady Miss Rachel herself love and gratitude. Seeing Rachel and being able to touch her will live in my memory forever..

25 Mar 2011 10:00 PM
CL

Thanks for the photos and video.  I'm really impressed by how calm RA was with all those strangers, even allowing one to kiss her.

25 Mar 2011 10:03 PM
Blue Blue Sea

@Carolyn as the others have said, Rachel was super patient! She was standing on concrete, surrounded by about 30 total people and stood for minutes. Any horse would get bored/impatient with this but exracers especially. I imagine Z would be the same *if* you ever get to visit with her. Even my cheap claimer from off the track gets his fill of such behavior and wants to be done. Anne did not arrive in the first group to visit for the day or even the first group to be shuttled to her of the day's second group. Perspective is always important to keep in mind.

25 Mar 2011 10:10 PM
Terry

She will always be our STAR***

Beautiful!!

25 Mar 2011 10:16 PM
Dani

I've so missed Rachel. Ever since she seemed to disappear from our lives I've been longing for updated news and photos of her. While they have posted a few photos of her (one with Hot Dixie Chick) on their FB I've just wanted to hear and see more of her. So I am truly thankful that Stonestreet organized this fan day and that you were able to get these wonderful photos and the great video and that some of her fans were able to get close to her. How lucky they are. She looks magnificent. She will forever be one of the most remarkable horses we'll ever have had the privilege to see race.

I admit I've been worried about her so it is reassuring to hear how loved and adored, well cared for and how happy she is. I hope we will continue to see and hear more about her as time goes on.

25 Mar 2011 10:23 PM
Jill

Thanks for sharing these wonderful pictures and video...it's great to see Rachel so happy with her fans.

25 Mar 2011 10:27 PM
Tippy Gladstone

Thanks so much for the great photos, and especially the article that accompanies them.  Your descriptions and photos of the surroundings were just what I was hoping for.  I was, however, unable to view the video.  There was just a big blank white space after you suggested we take a minute to check out the video.  Any suggestions or ideas?  Thanks again, and I'd love to see Street Sense and Hardspun, maybe Big brown.  What about a trip to see Goldikova?

25 Mar 2011 10:40 PM
LauraJ

@Kurt, the two farms are different. Stonestreet is the Jacksons' private breeding farm. The mares are his. Our hosts today were his employees. Stonestreet doean't stand stallions and doesn't have the comings and goings that that entails.

Lane's End, on the other hand, is a much larger commercial farm. They stand 17 popular stallions including Jackson's own stallion Curlin. They have their own mares and board many more. They do permit visitors to their stallion operation, but not during breeding season. The Mosses are Zenyatta's owners but are clients of the farm. The people there work for Lane's End and have way too much on their plates right now to set up visits.

25 Mar 2011 10:50 PM
Linda / Maryland

Rachel, you look wonderful!! Retirement has been great to you!! So glad to see you so healthy and happy!!1

25 Mar 2011 11:13 PM
me

she was the most exciting horse to watch in a while. thank you, RA, and so happy some fans got to see you! thank you for sharing!

25 Mar 2011 11:19 PM
Serena

After giving it some thought I would like to suggest future photos/stories on mares such as Rags to Riches, Silverbulletday, Sweet Catomine, Dreaming of Anna..  (if they are in KY !!) These were exceptional racing fillies and while we get the occasional word on them, there's not a whole lot of news and photos.  Even the older mares like Silverbulletday deserve a word or two now and then.....

Also want to say that it was/is really terrific that Rachel's connections have made these visits a possibility (and a dream come true for some!)  Whether it was to gain a much needed positive public image or a true desire to share her with her fans......it is a great thing they are doing.  Zenyatta's team is doing and saying all the right things.  It's only right that Rachel's people keep her name and legacy in the minds and hearts of her fans.  The sport has certainly gained a legion of new fans and desperately needed positive attention -- it would be a shame not to showcase it's biggest stars, even if they are retired.

25 Mar 2011 11:19 PM
Claritone

Thank you for sharing these gorgeous photos.  And how sad some people have to use this format to slam on a lovely young mare.  Zenyatta has had lots of adulation.  It won't make her any less of a horse if we all enjoy Rachel for a day too.

25 Mar 2011 11:20 PM
Serena

um.... just realized I recently read the Dreaming of Anna piece... no wonder she was in my thoughts!!!!!

25 Mar 2011 11:21 PM
WILD HORSES

People need to be patient with LE as far as getting to see Big Z. It is a huge operation there and getting to have visits with her during breeding and foaling season I'm sure is out of the question. Let's just keep our fingers crossed that later in the summer or fall they can set something up similar to whay SS did for Rachel. If that never happens, yes there will be some disappointment, but they certainly have been very gracious in letting us see all these pictures and videos we have been graced with so far.

25 Mar 2011 11:23 PM
Burling

Thank you for sharing your video and photos of Rachel.  She looks healthy and happy!

25 Mar 2011 11:25 PM
Greybirdk

So envious of those lucky folks who got to visit with Rachel today. Kudos to Stonestreet for doing such a good job to make the day special. God willing, one day I can visit this brilliant champion too. How I love our Rachel!

25 Mar 2011 11:33 PM
Maggie

Oh, I didn't know about the Rachel fan day!  I'm so disappointed, not only for myself, but my daughter, who took great pictures at Stephen Foster day last year where Rachel won the Fleur de Lis.  Will there be another fan day?  Thanks!

25 Mar 2011 11:55 PM
Patrice

Rachel is my most fav girl in the world.. I have to get to Kentucky to meet this beautiful lady.. Love U Ms Rachel

26 Mar 2011 12:07 AM
zenyattalover

o!!!!! those are wonderfull what a superstar!!! i love you rach:):):):):):):)

26 Mar 2011 12:14 AM
Mrglassoniongirl

Great photos! LOVE Rachel!

As for who I`d like to see, how bout a visit to Afleet Alex and his son Afleet Express? Or Rags To Riches, haven`t heard anything from her in a while...

26 Mar 2011 12:33 AM
Barbaro Girl

She is really so much prettier in these pictures you've graciously shared with all of us than some of the earlier pictures I used to see of her.  She seems very sweet and patient as well!

I don't know if it's possible so early on, but would LOVE some pictures of the adorable Life Is Sweet and her new colt!  :)  Thanks!

26 Mar 2011 1:00 AM
ManOWar

Thank you, Anne; Thank you so much for your photos and story on Rachel. I never got the opportunity to see our lovely girl race, but video of her beating the pants off the boys still gives me chills. Honestly, I was getting a little concerned that we hadn't heard from her! I'd love to see Megahertz, Gorella, Sweetcatomine, Storm Flag Flying... there are so many! Nobody ever talks about our girls but you. We don't forget what they've done for us, though. Thank you again, Anne.

26 Mar 2011 1:51 AM
Mary in Vermont

Oh noooo! I didn't know about Rachel's fan day or I very well may have made the trip. I was hoping to live and die without visiting facebook, and apparently it wasn't advertised elsewhere. And since I need to get a dog to the Executive Director of the Headley-Whitney Museum I could have combined the trip. Oh what a world! I hope they will advertise it more broadly if they do it again.

But how wonderful for this window into her life. What a lovely leggy necky stretchy thing she is. Though she was breathtaking on the race track, it is so wonderful to see her peaceful and content.

Someone mentioned her Preakness. Remember that early duel with the very talented and fresh track record holder and eventual Sprint Champion Big Drama? After breaking from the far outside from a post that no horse had ever been victorious from to become the first filly to win the Preakness Stakes since 1924? To think that she did this only two weeks after winning the Kentucky Oaks by a record 20+ lengths. You don't dare even dream of fillies doing stuff like this. But little did we know folks. Little did we know ...

Rachel's Haskell is often lumped with her other historic wins, but after listening to multiple tv commentators rave about the fractions set by lights out sprinter Zensational in the Pat O'Brien, I gave the early fractions in the Haskell a closer look.

Munnings in the 2 path with Rachel glued to his neck ran the first quarter in the Haskell in 22:99 ~ Zensational in the Pat O'Brien 23:10.

Munnings with Rachel glued to his neck ran the half in the Haskell in 46:43 ~ Zensational in the Pat O'Brien 45:37.

Munnings with Rachel glued to his neck ran 6f in the Haskell in 1:09.92 ~ Zensational in the Pat O'Brien 1:09:66.

Rachel bobbled slightly at the break, settled into the 3 path, and ran 3 wide all the way around the track until she was alone in the stretch. While still under wraps, this 3 yr. old filly stuck like glue to yet another top shelf sprinter until he was cooked ... and *still* drew off from the winner of the Belmont Stakes who had benefited from an inside trip ... to win by 6 lengths ... in a veritable swamp. Final Time 1:47:21 Stakes Record 1:47:00 Track Record 1:46:80. And we still hadn't seen the depths of the heart of this great champion.

There is a very good reason why no 3 yr. old filly had ever defeated older males in a two turn grade 1 unrestricted route race; it is simply more than flesh and blood 3 yr. old fillies can do .. until Rachel smashed through sex and age barriers to win the Woodward Stakes.

Those older boys play pretty rough, and the Woodward developed into one dirty street fight that took an inconceivably gutty effort from the filly to keep her neck out in front. There was even something ugly about the way the race unfolded in that she appeared to run a gauntlet of older males in which each in turn unleashed their best in successive volleys whose accumulative effect looked like it could wear down a freight train, much less a flesh and blood 3 yr. old filly. One trainer put in two tactical speed horses against a heavy favorite who has the same running style as his horses. Gee. Ya think he had an agenda? And that was just the first wave.

I always thought that Rachel ran her best races stalking the lead as in the Haskell and the Mother Goose. In this race, like the Preakness, she was going to have to run it as the early speed horse, or risk getting boxed in and never let out because of her post position. She had to stay with or in front of each opponent as they leveled suicidal fractions at her until they cooked their own goose .... and she went through 'em one by one.

Everybody in our vicinity on the rail was left breathless and shaking and holding each other up after the spectacle that horse delivered. In fact, I am still trying to process what I saw. It seems like racing fans and horse lovers spend our lives hoping to see just one horse - one horse - that lives up to our dreams, and when she runs her heart out right in front of us we find that our bodies are almost too frail to take it. I feel like I will never be the same after witnessing the heart, and guts, and glory that horse laid down on the track that day. Emotional? You bet I'm emotional. Forget the history books. Rachel ran right off the page into the stratosphere to heights untouched and clean.

26 Mar 2011 2:00 AM
Stephen John Nicholson.

Loved seeing these pictures from RA fan day.I have ridden racehorses here in Newmarket,England since 1978 and have allways followed US racing.In fact I have visited US racing several times,riding trackwork for Neal Drysdale and accompanying Lailani to win Flower Bowl in 2001.Many stables in Nmkt used to have an Open day on a particular Sunday designated by trainers,in aid of racing charities.We all gave our day off to meet and greet and answer questions,as well as stopping some of the colts eating over affectionate visitors.It never ceased to amaze me how many usedto arrive for the day and from how far away,just to get a glimpse of their equine heroes and also to see what goes on behind the scenes.It seemed like all of Ouija Board"s fan club turned out to see her on one of the days.These days aren"t held anymore,which is a shame as sacrificing a sunday off wasn"t such a big deal,when you see the happiness it would bring to old and young alike.Bless u all and by the way,Snow Fairy will hopefully be arriving at BC to bring home the F&M turf.You heard it here first. :))

26 Mar 2011 2:55 AM
Msknow06

I would love to see pictures of Stardom Bound, Madcap Escapade, Mi Sueno, or Ouija Board. Thank you for the pictures that you have put up so far, they are beautiful.

26 Mar 2011 3:43 AM
Jen

Love the pictures, and can't wait to see her next year with a foal!  As for other visit ideas, I'd LOVE an update and photos of Sightseek, that wonderful racemare I haven't seen or heard of since retirement, though I do follow her foals.  One of Frankel's favorites, she's incredibly sweet and would probably love a visit!

26 Mar 2011 4:35 AM
Lorri S

So good to finally get to see her again. She looks happy and content. Thanks for sharing Anne.

26 Mar 2011 5:26 AM
Rachel

How very generous of the Jackson's to let the fans pat her and get pictures, especially since she's bred, just show's Rachel's unflappable temperament...they are good people.

Carolyn, just because a horse's ears are tilted back does not mean their angery..it may mean they're listening to what's going on behind them, which she is definitely doing in some of her pictures...in one photo one ear is forward and one is back...she's listening all around her...it's pinned ears with accompanying body language you watch for...I had a mare who pinned her ears every time she saw me, shaking her head up and down...for her it was a gesture of love, LOL!

PS How's Hot Dixie Chick?

26 Mar 2011 6:04 AM
Link

Carolyn, You are so right! This was not Rachel's "Cup of Tea!" You can see it in her eye (and Ears) that she is not happy. This event was just Mr. Jackson trying to play "Catch up" for time lost to Team Z. It is much too late to try to make the personal fan connection for Rachel that Zen has had from day 1.  Rachel is just a trophy to him and his connections.

26 Mar 2011 6:53 AM
Renee Wiggins

Wow! Bloodborse needs to sign up Mary in Vermont! Her comments were so descriptive I thought I was on the rail with her. Writing like that should be shared. Thanks Mary. Thanks Anne.  And thanks Rachel!

26 Mar 2011 6:58 AM
Naline

So happy to see her again and radiant as ever. I miss seeing her at the track but maybe one day I`ll be cheering  her offspring ! Rachael is truely a class act horse. With respect to Zenyatta, I think Rachel is the QUEEN!

26 Mar 2011 7:21 AM
carolyn

Folks, especially he ones that went to the fan appreciation day, Go back and look at some of the pictures and videos that are posted.  You can tell in some that RA doesn't seem all to happy not mad,  understand this this way,  this is normal, RA hasn't been shared with the public the way Zenyatta has been, this is so very new to her.  She will more apt to this as she has more fan days.  JJ only done this because the fans went nuts over how they never got to see her after her retirement and over the fact that Zenyatta was shared early on and especially last year alone with popularity , he knew he needed to do something because he lost so much respect from the racing public.

Believe you me,  after those few visits that they have lined up,  you won't get any more days like that again.   I hope they prove me wrong.   Why wasn't JJ or his wife there to greet some of Rachel's fans.  as usual, they never there to support RA, like most of her races last year ,  JJ was a no show.

Jackson had to have a fan day,  he knew he has lost so much ground so fast after her abrupt retirement.  HE owed this to her fans.  I am so happy he is giving some of you the opportunity to see her and give her a retirement send off in person.

BTW,  It is two carolyn's posting on here apparently.  My name is in lower casing.

26 Mar 2011 7:54 AM
carolyn

I apologize for the "t" not being in front of the "he" in most of my typing.  I guess my fingers were working to fast and not good enough.  sorry

26 Mar 2011 8:00 AM
carolyn

@RENEE WIGGINS

Ms.Wiggins I just want to tell you that I always have thought your dad was the reason we saw a perfect horse in '09' with Rachel A.  He and his great training of her is what made her campaign what it was. I know he never got the credit he deserved for her training but RA's connections owe her '09' training all to your dad.

Hal molded her into the great little runner she was.

26 Mar 2011 8:23 AM
Brenda, Fort Erie, Canada

I am so envious but also delighted to see all the wonderful photos of RA.  I will be in Lexington in July and am hoping, hoping that Stonestreet will have a See Rachel day when I am able to attend.

26 Mar 2011 8:58 AM
LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

Rachel Alexandra is as lovely as ever!  Life there at the farm appears to be doing her well indeed and she looked to be so happy to see some of her fans-I think she missed them.  Wishing her and her sweet precious unborn foal the best.  Love & Blessings to them both!

26 Mar 2011 9:15 AM
bellesforever

Mary in Vermont you just made me feel like i was there watching that race..thank you for the trip down memory lane..I loved seeing Rachel in her new home and looking very much the lady of the manor..always so classy..I was lucky enough to see her once live and in person and wow..just wow.I hope they do another of these visits as you couldn't keep me away..She was really something on the track and it warms my heart to see her with HDC just being horses.

Thank you so much for the pictures and video of our Rachel..still my favorite and always a champion.

26 Mar 2011 9:18 AM
tbpartnerperson43

No matter the motive for the fan day, I've been waiting to see pictures of this gorgeous horse since she left racing.  I thought her behavior was impeccable, considering that was a totally new situation for her.  She looks lovely, and content.  Thanks so much to Mr. Jackson and Anne for making this happen.

26 Mar 2011 9:20 AM
Suzanne Brownrigg

Thank you Anne.  I was there--on the first tour--and it exceeded my wildest expectations.  Everyone at Stonestreet was gracious and friendly and to think that I had a chance to touch and pet my girl and have my photo taken with her was unbelievable.  Thank you so much to Stonetreet--I will forever be grateful.  I love that sweet girl and I will cherish this visit forever.

26 Mar 2011 9:32 AM
Juanita

When is the next Rachel day or can

you visit her anytime? Please let me

know, I didn't know about this event.

marfa@fuse.net

26 Mar 2011 9:47 AM
Anne

Wow! How nice to see her since her retirement. No more chain around her teeth and I too noticed the white of her eye again. She seemed to enjoy her handler while playing with him like she use to with her groom from the Hal Wiggins barn. Rachel seemed very patient with all the people around her. She certainly was not use to that as much as Zenyatta but she looked like she handled it well. Rachel always had a body guard so getting close to her other than a rail at the racetrack, was impossible. I am jealous of those who got so close to actually pet her.

Skyfire, go onto Three Chimneys website and there is a section of photos of Silver Charm. A girl from Japan sees him and sends gorgeous shots of him to his original stallion facility. He looks awesome!

Thanks again,Anne for sharing your day with Rachel and also to the staff and the Jacksons for making it possible.

26 Mar 2011 9:50 AM
Lisa g

It is so wonderful to see Rachel.  For a long time I was worried about her.  I will always love and care about her, hoping now, she will have a wonderful retirement with just a couple of kids to follow her hoove steps.  Love ya, little girl..Lisa g

26 Mar 2011 9:57 AM
LauraJ

@Barbaro Girl, if you go to the Zenyatta.com website, diary post #210, there are some pictures of Life is Sweet and her new colt. He's a strapping boy. Hopefully Anne will get a chance to get some professional shots later on. I'd love to see this little guy romping outside.

@Rachel, I peeked in on Hot Dixie Chick yeaterday. She was in her stall while her BFF was getting fussed over. She seemd healthy and happy, if a little puzzled by the disruption in her routine. She was friendly and curious, and came over to visit. Sadly, I had no treat to give her, but she seemed to like the attention anyway. I hope Rachel A. shared some of her treats with her barn mates.

26 Mar 2011 10:01 AM
Great Photo's

Carolyn, I really wonder about your motives in continuing this vein of thought. Have you spent much time around horses? Their ears move. It's part of how they take in the world around them. And there was a lot going on in Rachel's world when these photos were taken.

Anne thank you for the wonderful photo's for those of us not able to make the day. And thank you Stonestreet for hosting the first Rachel visit day, and I hope they continue as long as Rachel allows.

Anne, thank you for the wonderful photos for those of us not able to make the day.

26 Mar 2011 10:07 AM
LauraJ

@Juanita, you can check the Stonestreet website to see when the next visit will be announced. They are hoping for midsummer. You can also check the Stonestreet Facebook page.

My impression was that the Stonestreet personnel were pleased with the way the visit was going and had enjoyed putting it together. So as long as RA suffered no ill effects, they will probably do it again.

26 Mar 2011 10:13 AM
Convene

Wish I could have been there. Thanks Anne for sharing that special day with us. Altho she seems to have been somewhat overlooked by some, Rachel is still the queen. She took on the best and proved herself and her Horse of the Year was well-earned. May her foal grow up to honor his/her dam because that will mean another champion of champions. Miss ya, Rachel. Happy retirement.

26 Mar 2011 10:27 AM
markmann

It amazes me with the continuous coverage of RA and the Queen Zenyatta. Never has a horse done so much for racing as the Queen Z since probably Secretariat. RA was a great racehorse. And its great that both her and the Queen are pregnant. But the blog and the fan day to try and keep up with the Queen is a bit much for me.

26 Mar 2011 10:33 AM
Love 'em all

Such a well organized RA fan day by the wonderful Jackson folks and Stonestreet staff.  A huge thank you to all, and, Anne, you have once again spoiled us rotten with this blog.  Love the slideshow and video.

I would keep that Rachel cookie forever and ever.  No way would I eat that one!  How clever and generous the Stonestreet folks are to RA's many fans.  RA looks fabulous!

Wishing RA the very best ... and also her good paddock buddy Hot Dixie Chick.  They make a good pair!  This has been a wonderful treat.

26 Mar 2011 10:36 AM
ttimsan

Thank you Anne - I've been waiting to see RA - what a lovely personality. So sweet watching her expression and how she paid attention to whomever was petting her at the time. People assume that because her ears weren't pricked up, she was disinterested in the process and unfriendly. Not true. Ears are a solid indicator of where her attention is focused at any given time. I loved the fact that her attention was always on those who were closest to her and touching her. It speaks volumes about her personality. I'll take a horse that revels in one-on-one interaction and goes about her business quietly over the flash any day.

26 Mar 2011 10:42 AM
Jenny In MN

Would love to hear about Lava Man. Thought he was going to move to Old Friends or maybe is a stable pony for trainer Doug O'Neil.

26 Mar 2011 10:44 AM
Criminal Type

Thanks Ann, very nice pic's of Rachel, but where's HOT DIXIE CHICK ?

26 Mar 2011 11:09 AM
Oldie

Anne, thank you!  Rachel looks very much at peace, which is exactly what we all wanted to see.  LauraJ you are exactly right - a horse's life in the wild depends on paying attention to both visual and audio cues, and the fact we have domesticated them doesn't remove that instinct.

Mary in Vermont, beautiful description of the Haskel and Woodward, and extremely accurate.  I remember as the Woodward unfolded thinking there was a conspiracy to take her down, and she wouldn't let them.  I was relieved she didn't go to the BC - she had done more than enough already that year, and needed a break.  As Joan Rivers said when people picked on Johnny Carson for taking time off, "You do it."  Say what you want, think what you want, Mr. Jackson did the right thing for his filly when he opted not to go to the BC, and based on the way Rachel looks in these photos he provides stellar care and accommodations for his horses.

I saw a photo of a Curlin filly last week or the week before, and thought she was definitely in his image!  Anne, I would love to see a photo story on this year's foals if it's at all possible, just to sort of update us on several at once and let us see some baby pictures :)

26 Mar 2011 11:35 AM
Linda in Texas

Link - i think your comments really beg for a response. Usually i would just consider a source, but i do not know you. Your words were unkind.

This is a new year for Rachel and she is receiving the love she dearly deserves.

In the future, perhaps remembering the good both did will far outweigh any bad you may have remembered.

And Anne, i as Jenny in MN love Lava Man and all of the older racehorses. Also Pirate Queen next time you photo her paddock friend.

Heck, i love them all, just keep the photos coming as you do them the best. Thanks for sharing.

26 Mar 2011 11:36 AM
Michelle

Mary in Vermont- excellent writing!

Anne- as an addition to my earlier post, what are the chances of some photos of the Personal Ensign dynasty?  Of course Personal Ensign herself passed away, but there are multiple generations of that great family out there now!  If would be fun to see how all the mares look.

26 Mar 2011 12:05 PM
New Orleans Lady

Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou!  She is the Queen and her King, Curlin, make perfect racing royalty.  She is so beautiful. I saw her at FG twice and was just floored by her beauty, as was those around me.  A true standout with her talent, class and intelligence. No other horse compares!

26 Mar 2011 12:14 PM
Gayle

This is great....I miss her!!!!

All I can say is kudos to 2 great ladies who stole the show 2 years in a row from the boys!!!

26 Mar 2011 12:33 PM
Peggy

Thanks first to Anne for the beautiful photos, then to Mary in Vermont.  I had just started following racing because of Rachel and watched the races you described rooting for Rachel, but not fully understanding the magnitude of her greatness.  You have given me something that watching the videos of her races could never do.

Linda in Texas, as always I agree with you and thank you for your comments to Link.  Everyone has a right to his/her opinion, but this is not the place to share ones like that.

26 Mar 2011 1:22 PM
link

Linda in TX and Peggy, there is no ill will intended in my comments. Only the truth as I see it.  RA does deserve the love she is getting but she also deserved it all along...she had it with Mr. Wiggins and his connections and it was Genuine. RA was everything she was because of them not JJ & company. That is why she never came back the same after her long layoff. Two totally different training methods. She was at her peak when JJ bought her, she would have won anything at the time...except the BC Classic.  P.Q's paddockmate won that in '09.

26 Mar 2011 2:47 PM
Tony Bin

Thanks for sharing these wonderful images and video with us, and for bringing Rachel Alexandra back in the spotlight-- because I'm afraid The Blood Horse has all but forgotten her.

True, her 4yo season was a huge disappointment, but that should not erase what she did as 3yo old.

I'm Italian and I never had the pleasure to see Rachel Alexandra or Zenyatta race "live".

I saw only videos of their races, and Rachel touched me, emotioned me in a way Zenyatta never did. I shouted and grinned when I saw the Preakness, Haskell and the Woodward...

This last race made me smile, but it also filled me with concern, because I was afraid of the consequences of that effort on the filly. Unfortunately, the events proved me right.

It saddens me the way Rachel has been all but forgotten by The Blood Horse (I've been subscribing to it since 1994) since she was retired.

Her connection certainly made mistakes and they are not the darlings of the press as the Mosses (God bless them! The sport needs more owners like them) are, but this fantastic filly doesn't deserve to forgotten because of the mistakes her entourage made in handling her.

I look forward to seeing her become a mother and to seeing her foals run. This year I said goodbye to another favourite of mine, Miesque...I hope Rachel will follow this great mare's footsteps and become as a good producer as she was a great racer.

26 Mar 2011 3:24 PM
MM from Georgia

Thanks for sharing Rachel.  I miss you very much.  Hope you are happy.  Your new little sister looks happy.  I watch for your news all the time.  Fortunately, fans on Zenyatta's diary pass news on about your latest news.  Luv ya & miss you Rachel.

26 Mar 2011 4:20 PM
maryann727

Thank you for the slideshow about Rachel's Day-lot's of attention to the details which indicated how well managed the event was.  I'm so happy that her fans have finally gotten to see and interact with her.  It looks like she has adjusted well.  She had a great racing heart.

There have been some comments about her ears being back.  They were back in a relaxed way, not an unhappy way.  And then, there were photographs of her with her ears forward.  Really like the full frame portrait of her and the ones taken with different fans.  Nice!!

I have a question.  Maybe Ms. Eberhardt or another person could answer.  I remember reading that a mare in foal cannot be exposed to certain (viruses/toxins) because she might lose her foal.  I was left with the impression that a person might inadvertently transport this "toxin" on their clothing or body.  Hence, the strict visiting limitations on many breeding farms.  After seeing Rachel's visitors, I think I may have misunderstood.  Any clarification would be appreciated.  Thank you.

And thank you again for "Through the Lens"--it is fast becoming my favorite BH feature.

26 Mar 2011 6:07 PM
merasmag

i luv ra...i am looking at her eyes and not her ears and she does not look happy...mayb she was looking for her baby (which...btw... i think is ugly but that doesn't mean she won't b cute later...takes a while 4 the pieces to catch up 2 each other)

26 Mar 2011 6:07 PM
Freetex

Such a lovely champion!

She gave us great racing memories.

26 Mar 2011 6:16 PM
TJLuvsTizs

Very nice photo gallery!  Would like to see a catch up with Rags to Riches!  Haven't seen or heard from her in a while.

26 Mar 2011 6:32 PM
Saddle57

Great photos. She seemed very relaxed and content with all those strange people touching her. She was not around that many people like Zenny was. I bet she will be a great mom. I can't wait to see what her foal will look like. Another one with all legs.

26 Mar 2011 6:41 PM
ROBINM

Anne; Thank you so much for sharing.  I've been concerned for Rachel ever since she left the scene so abruptly but it is clear from the photos she is well and happy.

It's unforunate some people still seem to take any opportunity to compare Rachel unfavorably with Zenyatta.  Great as Zenyatta was, she never "wowed" me like Rachel. Zenyatta never had to fight off a field of horses pushing her to her limit and she never won by 20 lengths in near record times.  Heck, Zenyatta hadn't even stepped onto the track at the age Rachel performed all of her magic.  A truly amazing filly.  Her 3-yr old record will never be matched.

26 Mar 2011 7:05 PM
Seabiscuit

Thank you so much for the lovely update and awesome pic. of RA!! I am so happy that some of her fans had this great opportunity with her(wished I could kiss her too:) and so nice to see her relaxed and well balanced, taking it all in stride. There is no need to compare Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra, both are outstanding mares, each in their own way:)

Looking forward to more pic. from the next Stonestreet visit!

26 Mar 2011 7:20 PM
Mike O

@Mary In Vermont,

I couldnt have said it better.I hope one day they make a move about Rachel.From her mother rejecting her to being trained under the great Hal Wiggins and then sold to Mr Jackson and running off win after win breaking records and barriers.There will never be another filly in my lifetime that will accomplish what Rachel did.Thank You Mr Jackson for being a true sportman.

26 Mar 2011 7:22 PM
Kathy Kimber

I think this is so wonderful of Stonestreet to let her fans visit her.  It means so much we all miss her on the track.  She is a great, great, lady and will be a wonderful mommy

26 Mar 2011 7:28 PM
Oxfarm

Please remember that Barbara Banke and  Jess Jackson are located in California, and that Jess has been battling cancer.

Please take into consideration that Stonestreet perhaps did these fans days in response to requests from Rachel's fans.

Lastly, please consider that some of us here know some of the people that worked around Rachel. Who rode her, and took care of her. Trust me, they loved this horse.

26 Mar 2011 7:30 PM
Anna

Rachel looks wonderful, what a beauty. I am jealous that I wasn't there but I have been lucky to have seen this great filly work and race. I saw her win the Woodward and Mary is right, all us fans at Saratoga were jumping up and down and screaming and many had tears in their eyes. The most exciting race I have ever seen, and I have seen a lot of top races including both Zenyatta and Goldikova in the BC (which were equally exciting).

Trust me, I saw Rachel at a few tracks and she had as many fans around her and cheering for her as Zenyatta. It is obvious some the comments here are by people who have not been around horses. We have long owned race horses both on and off the track and she looks very settled and happy.

26 Mar 2011 7:35 PM
GoldenBroom

Wonderful opportunity and way to tip the hat to the FANS! Thank you Stonestreet and Mr and Mrs Jackson. BTW I am a fan of both Rachel and Z and Z. Looking back now I could care less that they didn't meet up...they both retired healthy and sound. Would have been nice, but just didn't happen. That's what counts! Also the Jacksons were sooo generous to run both Curlin and Rachel at 4. I hope they have a wonderful, wonderful baby together.

26 Mar 2011 7:47 PM
The Truth

RobinM,  Her three year old campaign is like that of "Winning Colors" ever heard of her?

26 Mar 2011 7:50 PM
tanzkd

Hey Anne, How about going to see Silverfoot & see how he's doing ?

26 Mar 2011 7:51 PM
diana

I love how some know whether or not Rachel was "happy" on the day of the visits when you were NOT THERE.

Oh, and also the motivation of the Jacksons for putting this day together, they magically know that too.  No good deed goes unpunished.  If there was an eye-roll emoticon to use here I would.

Rachel was relaxed, happy, looking for treats, watching her girlfriends in the field, posing over and over with her ears up during the visit and being incredibly well behaved.

I was very happy to get to meet her up close and personal after seeing her run in the Oaks, work in Saratoga, and photograph her on the backside of Saratoga.  She is world class, a classy beautiful mare, and Stonestreet went above and beyond to make everyone welcome.

26 Mar 2011 8:20 PM
skyfire

Thanks, Laura J!  I am a big fan of Curlin! Watching today's races from Dubai reminded he of how nobly he represented American racing  abroad!!   I haven't seen pix of his foals yet and am filled with anticipation to see them.

Anyone know who Dixie Chick was bred to?

Thank you, Anne, about Silver Charm!  It is good to know that people care about him.  It is important to keep connected to horses sent abroad... (for their sake and ours!)

26 Mar 2011 9:21 PM
ROBINM

The Truth;

I can name a few fillies whose 3-yr old campaigns came close to matching that of Rachel Alexandra; but in my opinion, Winning Colors isn't one of them.  Unlike Rachel, she did not enjoy an undefeated season. Yes, she won the SA Derby and the KY Derby but didn't fare too well in the Preakness and bombed in the Belmont.  She was a very good and maybe even a great filly, but her 3-yr old record does not stand up to Rachel's.

I'll stress "in my opinion". One ot the things I really like about these blogs is the opportunity to champion our favorites, but I certainly acknowledge others' rights to a difference of opinion.

26 Mar 2011 10:44 PM
Claritone

Diana:  Don't you know that if Rachel looks happy and if her fans love her, it means that Zenyatta was terrible?  (rolls eyes)

26 Mar 2011 11:35 PM
secretgarden@trans-video.net

Heartfelt gratitude to those that enjoyed my recaps of Rachel taking on the boys. It was so good of you to say so, but it is too easy to talk about my favorite subject.

I can't believe I am reading more Jackson and Rachel bashing on a page dedicated to Rachel and her fans. It's so unfair and I will explain why. First of all, many great champions don't come back the same the year after a hard campaign. I don't see anyone bashing Jerry Hollendorfer because Blind Luck can't find the winner's circle this year. Or diminishing what Blind Luck accomplished last year. Nor should they. If it were only that Rachel didn't come back the same horse after an unprecedented season that earned her the Horse of the Year title at the tender age of 3, you have no cause to bash Jackson, Asmussen, Borel, or anyone else you can think of. Rachel is a horse, not a machine.

And secondly, YES, Rachel's performance in the Woodward Stakes may very well have gutted her, or destroyed her will to win, but I do not believe for one second that Jess Jackson had any idea the lengths to which the other teams would go to beat her up. Everyone raced like gentlemen in the the Preakness and the Haskell, which is to say that they were in it to win it themselves per the rules of racing that state that the public is guaranteed that every entry of a horse race on which pari-mutuel wagering is permitted is in it to win it if they can.

In my opinion, and it is an opinion shared by noted authorities, something very different happened in the Woodward, and Jackson had nothing to do with it, and no control over it whatsoever. And I'll bet he was more horrified by what happened to his horse than all of us put together. The majority of the field of older males fresh off either a first or second in a Gr 1 route seemed to depart from their usual well established running styles in order to take their best shot at Rachel Alexandra in successive volleys in order to wear her down. And bless God that 3 year old filly went through 'em one by one and *STILL* came out the victor. I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes.

To miss that is to entirely miss the magnitude of her greatness and her accomplishment that day. To miss that is to drive right by who actually is responsible for whatever she may have suffered as a result of that race. It was the owners, and trainers, and jockeys on the rest of the field that tore Rachel's heart out. And it just kills me to have Jackson beat up for it like it was all ok by him as long as his horsey got to be Horse of the Year. Far more likely, it tore just as big hole in his great heart as it did in Rachel's.

Speaking of the magnitude of Rachel taking on older males in the Woodward, please .. don't take my word for it ...

~ I think she’s the best I’ve ever seen. I don’t compare her to anyone. I’m not afraid to say she’s better than Ruffian, because she is. They sent two speed horses after her and made her go in :22 4/5, then they came after her one at a time and she put them all away. Those were tough older horses and they tried everything they could to get her beat and they couldn’t do it. - 96-year-old racing legend John Nerud.

~ You don’t see many horses livin’ that could have won that race. - noted veterinarian Dr. Mark Cheney

~ She had everything thrown at her and she overcame it all. I've never seen anything like it. You had that feeling of a horse trying for the Triple Crown. It’s the stuff of legends. - Graham Motion, trainer of third place finisher Bullsbay.

~ It was like a 23 yr. old girl defeating 30 yr. old men. - Steve Haskin.

~ There have been times in the past when somebody's horse just won a big race and they would say hey this horse ran just like Ruffian, and I kind of laugh a little bit. But in this case, I think that Rachel Alexandra is a truly great filly, and she is just so terrific for the sport, and it is a good thing to be talking about (the comparison). I would feel differently if I didn't think Rachel Alexandra deserved to be compared in that company. - Stuart Janney III being interviewed on the merits of Rachel Alexandra being so often compared to his magnificent Ruffian

~ Her campaign was fantastic! We have never seen a 3 yr. old filly with a campaign like hers, not only beating the boys, but going on to beat older boys. - JoAnn Jones for HRTV

~ As brilliant as she is, as fast as she is, as talented as she is, the grit and determination she displayed here today takes her up even another level. - Lafit Pinkay Jr. for HRTV

27 Mar 2011 1:43 AM
Anna

Amen, Secretgarden

And you are right, the other owners/trainers threw everything at Rachel. The race was about beating Rachel, not winning. I have never seen so much heart from a horse and that is what she won on. That is why most of us at track had tears in our eyes. She totally captured my heart and nothing can take away her brilliance in that race.

27 Mar 2011 8:29 AM
The Truth

Claritone,  For you to say something so immature and stupid , it sounds like something a reject would say.  I don't see where any one was saying bad things about anyone, I see people posting the truth as we all saw it in the past two years.   You are apparently in denial or just stupid,   (rolling eyes)

I can see nothings changed,  the RA fans have always acted more ignorent than any of the Zenyatta fans.  go back and look at the pictures and videos listed here,   and look at them with your eyes straight and not rolling out of your head,  you can see what most on here is talking about.

27 Mar 2011 8:34 AM
BE HONEST

Secret Garden,  explain away her 4 year old campaign and why she couldn't get it together  after she rested for months after the woodward?  don't just dote on her three year old campaign,  tell the whole truth.........not just one part of it.

27 Mar 2011 8:39 AM
BE HONEST

Thats the one thing about ALL RA fans,  they want to wipe out her 2 and 4 year old campaign,  Is it embarrassing that she didn't give 3 years or more?  Quit living a lie, and speak about her year following her 3 year old campaign.   You are looking foolish when you choose to ignore it when others certainly remember it. and remember it well.

27 Mar 2011 8:43 AM
The Truth

RACHEL A.   CAN NEVER MAKE ZENYATTA LOOK BAD.   HOW STUPID....LMAO!!!

ZENYATTA IS IN A LEAGUE OF HER OWN,  AND NO ONE COMES CLOSE.

SHOW ME ANOTHER MARE THAT RAN 19 STRAIGHT RACES AND ONLY LOST BY INCHES, AND BEAT THE TOUGHEST MALES WHEN SHE RAN AGAINST THEM...AND ONLY CAME UP SHORT 4 INCHES IN HER FIRST AND ONLY LOSS.

27 Mar 2011 8:48 AM
Rachel

No race fan hates any race horse.

The mean spirited people on this blog who hate, cut down and disparage any of the horses are pathetic.

Each one is an individual with individual accomplishments.

You should celebrate the greatness you've been privileged to witness instead of bashing any animal that lays its heart and soul on the line to the best of its ability, whether for 1 race or 100...$10 million dubai or $500 at the fair.

27 Mar 2011 9:28 AM
Laura P.

I think Rachel looks great with her mane let loose and she looks so much more relaxed than she did on the tracks.

We all have to realize something here,  Rachel isn't used to having fans all around like 'Z' is. She will get used to it.

Every time she used to see fans she was under Borel and his whipping stick.   Not to happy to say the least. Would any one be?

27 Mar 2011 9:52 AM
Abigail Anderson

Anne -- Thank you so very much for sharing these great photos and the film clip of Rachel. I have missed her so much and kept hoping that Stonestreet would arrange for a way for fans to visit and through them, for all of us to let her know how much we love her! For anyone interested, I wrote an article on Rachel in February on my new blog, THE VAULT. (After writing the response to Steve Haskin's "I Lied" and getting such a fantastic response, I decided to go out on my own.) THE VAULT has been publishing since Feb.1 but it's first post was about Rachel and her amazing ancestor, Pretty Polly. THE VAULT is a non-profit blog raising funds for horse rescues.

Here's the address of the Rachel article:

racingvault.blogspot.com/.../pretty-polly-rachel-alexandra.html

27 Mar 2011 10:09 AM
Pumpkin

Well said, Rachel.  How sad that people are using this forum to put down a beautiful young filly.  Neither Rachel nor Zenyatta give a fig for this rivalry.  Two horses are a heck of a lot mature then many of these posters.

27 Mar 2011 10:13 AM
SuperFillie

This article made me so happy! I love seeing pictures of my favorite girl! Im totally jealous and I wish I could have been there to meet my Queen in person. Someday!

On a side note : Why do Zenyatta fans feel the need to come on to a page dedicated to fans showing their love for Rachel Alexandra and knock her?I also do not appreciate Rachel fans taking a swing at Zenyatta either. I dont care who was better, who had a tougher career or who had a longer career. Zenyatta fans are wrong, and Rachel Alexandra fans are not right. No one wins. Knock it off people. Love the horse you choose to love, and let others enjoy their chosen champion.

27 Mar 2011 10:17 AM
Pumpkin

The moderators need to refuse to post any references to the other filly on each others' pages.  That's about the only way to get it through people's heads that both ladies are retired, both have won HOY, and neither one is on the track.

27 Mar 2011 10:19 AM
Vicky

Beautiful photos! The video is AWESOME!  Stonestreet looks they are doing an truly wonderful job showcasing their very special resident (Heads up, Lanes End!).  She looks very happy and content and it's really good to see.  I'm just so happy for her fans, who got a chance to not just see her, but pet her and love her up (which she seemed to enjoy)!  Great job to the organizers and Stonestreet!

27 Mar 2011 11:11 AM
MidwaySue

Great photos of RA. Just love her. Too bad a few Zen fans can't go with the flow like the rest of us and enjoy both of them. Chill out Carolyn! I've been around Rachel at the track and she is wonderful. She had plenty of attention. May be she was just bored, like humans they get that way. No resason to criticize her or her owners. Mr. Jackson does have Cancer and I know from experience you get TIRED! Enjoy the fact she is open to visitors now and give Jess a break. Jeez! By the way, when are the Zen fan days starting?

27 Mar 2011 11:34 AM
Laura P.

Vicky,  Lane's End is a much larger operation than that of Jess Jackson's small time farm.  Stone Street doesn't have stallions that are to be bred there,  LE has mares and stallions to oversee and to make sure that all their needs are met too.

Believe you me,  LE has accomated the public more than what they ever have by letting so many photographers and editors see and photograph Zenyatta than that of any other mare on their property.  When the time is right and the breeding is has slowed down , the will give the fans an opportunity to visit with Zenyatta.   I am a die hard Zenyatta fan but you have to let the farms do what is best for the mares and stallions first.

Patience people,  gosh, look how long it took for RA fans to get to see her?  Zen fans have had way more time with her than RA fans have or ever will.

27 Mar 2011 11:34 AM
Ragsy

Beautiful Rachel such a deserving horse as well as Zenny is deserving, you just gotta love'em both!!

I sure miss these magnificient horses..

Thank You for memories...

27 Mar 2011 11:42 AM
Laura P.

TO ANYONE POSTING NEGATIVE BACK TO THE ALREADY NEGATIVE COMMENTS, JUST REMEMBER ONE THING,

ONLY AN IDIOT WILL RESPOND TO AN IDIOT.  SHOW MORE CLASS OR YOU ARE JUST AS GUILTY AND LOOK AND ACT NO BETTER THAN THEM....

27 Mar 2011 12:01 PM
DawnStorm

A thousand thank you's to you and Stonestreet farm for these incredible photos.  I'm glad to see my girl is doing well!

27 Mar 2011 12:29 PM
Linda M

finally.....so glad to see the blog and photos of Rachel.  I adore Z and also love Rachel.  So glad to see these pix.  TY.

27 Mar 2011 1:41 PM
Greybirdk

@Superfillie: thanks for saying what I've been trying to put into words.  I have my own opinion on how the sour grapes comments are weighted, far more on one side than the other, I believe; but there is absolutely nothing to be gained by bashing either of these horses or their connections at this point.  Give it a rest, folks.  This was a wonderful day for those who love horses and especially for those who love Rachel Alexandra.  I'd like to see a visit to Rags to Riches soon.  Remember she beat Jess Jackson's great champion and sire of Rachel's foal.  That should make all you Zenyatta folks ahppy!

27 Mar 2011 1:46 PM
Horseracinglover

Thank you for the pictures of RA.She looks good. Could you do some pieces on Old Friends home? Or other OTTB rescues? How about anything that could have an impact on saving thousands of OTTB's from slaughter? If every horse lover that reads your blog donated 10$ a month to a TB rescue  you could help save many from a terrible fate.

27 Mar 2011 2:03 PM
Anne Eberhardt Keogh

Thanks for all of your comments. And to Tony Bin--Rachel was never forgotten by The Blood-Horse. I was just waiting for an opportunity to visit her and/or learn more about her since her retirement. The racing community was so lucky to have Rachel Alexandra along with Zenyatta and Goldikova these past few years. I'm looking forward to the up and coming stars too!

27 Mar 2011 2:14 PM
Peggy

Thank you Secret Garden for your retelling of why we all should be grateful to have lived to see Rachel's 3 yr old campaign.  I don't think that even though you fairly presented the facts it will convince those that want to believe otherwise.  How sad for them.

I was honored to be able to attend Zenyatta's last "home" race as a member of the Steve Haskin Blogger's Group and to see Z and meet her team the day before.  I was at the time and am still a Rachel fan, and expected her to run in the Beldame the same day as Z's race.  It was a big disappointment to get the news of her retirement that week.  I love  Zenyatta, and continued to support her for HOY, but Rachel had my heart then and always.  I hope someday to see them both on a future visit to KY.

For those who think that they have a "right" to say whatever they think, please remember that sometimes a community requires that we consider the feelings of others before we exercise our rights at their expense.  There are all kinds of people reading this blog and what makes it a community is our tolerance of different points of view.

27 Mar 2011 2:17 PM
anncat

Thanks for the report and photos on Rachel.  Let this be the second of many doors opening in the world of retired thoroughbred race horses.  Just think about it for a minute.  The connections of two incredible race mares have allowed fans to have physical access to these marvelous creatures.

Think about what could happen in the future if this were to continue on into the future with other Thoroughbreds.  We love the individuals.  We follow their racing careers.  We go to the tracks to watch them race, even when the races are filmed and we can sometimes see them live on TV.  And the owners, trainers, and other staff people allow us to fulfill our fondest wish - to visit the horses.  To stand next to one with our hand on their neck and a silly grin on our face.  And then they are bred and begin to produce offspring that can cause the cycle to repeat.

There is no downside to this.  This can only help the sport of TB Horse Racing.  It can be done with fillies, as in the case of RA and Zen.  It can be done with stallions, too.  A few years ago, I went to Lexington with a friend who owns, breeds, and races Thoroughbreds.  She had arranged a tour of stud farms.  It was the trip of a lifetime.  I took about 300 photos that day.  The highlight for me was having the stud farm representative ask if there was a stallion I particularly wanted to see.  I hesitated about a millisecond and blurted out, "Street Cry." Out he came, much to my delight.  The photos aren't even blurry, despite my excitement.

I know that gamblers have been the target audience for horse racing for centuries, but this sport has lasted for centuries because of these magical creatures that some of us can ride only in our dreams.

27 Mar 2011 2:18 PM
ROBINM

"Most on here" entered this blog because we were interested to learn about Rachel's new life.  I'm not sure why some of the Rachel haters have shown up or why they continue to try to convince Rachel's admirers she isn't great.

27 Mar 2011 2:54 PM
Anne from Paramount CA

Thanks, Anne for these great photos--I, too,  have been looking forward to reading about/seeing Rachel A. once again. From my perspective sitting here at my computer, she looks good. Those of you who were there, I know you'll be talking about it for a long time to come. What a thrill it must have been to be up close and personal with her.  I love hearing the old timers talking about the horses they saw way back when and now you guys will be able to say "back in 2011 when I saw Rachel Alexandra in person..."  :) (And yes Zenyatta, too of course--let's enjoy all of these great horses. Anything that makes us smile is well worth it and these horses are most definitely in that category!)  Thanks again Anne!!

27 Mar 2011 3:03 PM
Suzanne Brownrigg

Anne, thank you so much for the article and great photos.  I was on the first tour and Miss Rachel could not have been more gentle and patient with all of us strangers coming up to her and touching her.  The visit was way beyond my expectations (I came all the way from upstate NY).  The staff were friendly and gracious, the picture and cookies were an unexpected treat, and Rachel was an angel.  The last time I saw her was at the Personal Ensign, and I never expected to see her again, so this was like going to heaven. I just want to say thank you to everyone who made this possible, and I am glad that The Bloodhorse covered this event.  A whole group of us who had become Facebook friends met for lunch at Keeneland, plus I met with a couple of FB friends the previous night for dinner, and we were all thrilled and somewhat astonished that we would get so much time with Rachel and be allowed to touch her and get our pictures taken with her.  Bless you, Rachel, and can't wait to see the baby next year (who is due on my husband's birthday!).

27 Mar 2011 3:22 PM
Soldier Course

I am a Zenyatta fan, but I am also delighted to see this article about Rachel Alexandra, which I keep coming back to. Rachel has such a beautiful face. I look forward to the day when all fans will truly love both of these mares for what they have done for the sport.

27 Mar 2011 3:28 PM
pam r

Thank-you.  It was so nice to see something about RA again.  She is quite the girl, and I can't wait to see her foal.

27 Mar 2011 5:26 PM

NALINE,ROBINM ETC

This isn't about taking shots at other horses. This is a celebration of RA. Some can't still let go and give credit to both,cause obviously it's not within them!

27 Mar 2011 7:37 PM

ANNA

I think you have anger issues,cause many of your posts are filled to the brink! You like some on here don't get it,it's not about arguing about who is best. This isn't the venue!

27 Mar 2011 7:44 PM

R. WIGGINS

Hal was great for RA and should have been allowed to continue training her. A class act!

27 Mar 2011 7:48 PM

ANNA

PS,you should take some of your own advice. Many of your comments in the past were filled with ugly slams regarding a certain horse/connections. Practice what you preach!

27 Mar 2011 7:56 PM
nmh

i would love to see photos and

an update on Pepper's Pride and

Life at Ten...Zardana too

27 Mar 2011 8:23 PM
MRO

Beautiful pictures of a lovely girl! I would love to see an update on Rags to Riches & also the Slew girls Flute & Fleet Renee.

27 Mar 2011 10:25 PM
Bellwether

THANKS...PEPPERS PRIDE???...ty...

28 Mar 2011 2:25 AM
link

Mike, I have to agree. Hal Wiggins was the reason Rachel was as great as she was. He was inside her head, and would have protected her to the end. He didn't deserve to be crushed in the manner he was. He never would have let rachel have the legs run off her the way she did.  Yes she was great...there is no question but she also did not deserve to be put through the type of campaign (as exciting as it was) that was chosen for her by her new connections. Maybe her "die hard" fans would have been able to enjoy her at the track a little longer.  It is a shame that any race horse has to retire at three healthy due to a loss of desire to win. Good Luck Rachel, I know your foal will be stunning.

28 Mar 2011 6:30 AM
Daisymae

She is still the most beautiful horse in the world.  Her face is a work of art.

28 Mar 2011 6:49 AM
Sarah T.

Thanks for sharing these. It was so wonderful being there and the farm went out of their way to make it extra special, when just seeing her would have been more than enough. I'm in the first pic and the video too. What a special day that was.

28 Mar 2011 8:47 AM

LINK

I totally agree with you. Mr Wiggins cared about RA,first and formost. I've said it for a yr and a half if RA hadn't been gutted in the Woodward,I feel she would've come back last year in good form. Her "new connections" were a complete one eighty different than Mr. Wiggins,to RA's disadvantage.

28 Mar 2011 10:20 AM
john B

Rachel has a 3/4 sister named She's Our Annie - Annie won 5 0f 6 the last 3 Stakes at different tracks - Although she had soundness issues she retired healthy - The exciting thing is she is in foal to Curlin - What fun lies ahead for the owners of these two foals

28 Mar 2011 10:27 AM
Ida Lee

Rachel is and will always be my Queen. What a gorgeous creature she is? I'm waiting to here about when I can go see this Treasure. She's healthy, happy and so mellow..she's having a good life and that's the most important thing to me now.

28 Mar 2011 10:41 AM
SAD CIDE

3RD BEST FILLY I EVER SAW RUN BEHIND ONLY PERSONAL ENSIGN AND THE GREAT RUFFIAN ! ZENYATTA ?  A TAD OVERRATED IN THIS MANS OPINION

28 Mar 2011 10:48 AM
Giddyup

I am tired of seeing owners retire the stars of the sport after 3 years and although I would rather be seeing RA at a racetrack I thank you for these excellent photos.

28 Mar 2011 11:06 AM
Katherine

I so loved seeing the pictures of Rachel and especially the video. She looks terrific. I especially enjoyed seeing her expression and awareness of the baby that was petting her. She, like Zen, is a kind mare. I have had horses for many years and her body language and expressions told me she was enjoying herself but was ready to get back to the pasture with her buddies. It is apparent to me she likes her groom.

I will not be able to visit Rachel so the pictures and video mean a lot.  I sincerely appreciate the graciousness of Jess Jackson and Barbara Banke and the staff at Stonestreet for allowing the fans the privilege of visiting their great champion.

I send my heartfelt best wishes  to Mr. Jackson and pray for his health and recovery from his illness.

28 Mar 2011 11:14 AM
el

Great pix, Anne.  Thanks for bringing us all so close to the event.  Any way that you could do a piece on Rags to Riches filly who is supposed to be in training with Todd Pletcher's team?

28 Mar 2011 12:23 PM
WWSTP

Rachel Alexandra!!!  What a huge gift to see her again in these pictures.  Thank you!! She is SO beautiful, SO regal, and I am flooded with the memories of her on the racetrack, having not missed a single race of hers where this young filly took on such HUGE challenges.  May the Racing Gods always shine their light on you Rach.  We love you!!  Always will!!  So happy that you seem so happy.  You deserve it!!

28 Mar 2011 12:49 PM
The Truth

Sad cide,  Please name me any other filly's or mares that won 19 straight races, and only lost one race by inches and not lenghts,  she defeated filly's and mares that the other couldn't defeat.  Yeah, I say you live in a sad man's world.

28 Mar 2011 1:09 PM
WWSTP

I find it so totally strange that people have to put themselves in a particular "camp" and qualify that first before rendering any sentiments.  I am a fan of great horses who have given so much to bring us the joy and awe and thrill that we get.  The RA and Zen partisanship is over...done.  Surely there is room in our hearts to embrace both for ALL they accomplished.  What is left are two fillies who righteously earned ALL the highest level attention possible for two full years of racing...unheard of before and a GREAT gift to us all.  Both, HOY recipients!!  Now we get to support and cherish the memories while we support and cherish their pregnancies and their foals.  Wow!  How grand!!  And, since this blog is for and about Rachel Alexander....Rachel, you slipped away without fanfare and without dull due for all you accomplished, leaving a huge hole in many of us. It will take quite a monster of a 3 year old filly to EVER come close to what you did!! Thank you Stonestreet for giving us all the opportunity to "show up" for Rachel.  She is truly inspiring, and the challenge after challenge that she stepped up to and faced  on the track was truly GREATNESS...and will never be forgotten.

28 Mar 2011 1:16 PM
Deb

Rach looks like she is enjoying life outside of the fast lane.

I would love to see how Peppers Pride is doing and Mine that Bird.

Two favorites besides Z.

Thank you.

28 Mar 2011 1:25 PM
sodapopkid

WWSTP,   Amen!! well spoken..

28 Mar 2011 1:58 PM
Peggy

Mike Relva I know that you post to these blogs often and may have some prior experience with Anna, however I just went back to read her posts after reading your criticism of her and I agree with everything that she said and don't sense any anger in her words.  Yours are a different story and while you have a right to your opinion it's a shame that you have to belittle any of the other contributors to this blog.

28 Mar 2011 1:59 PM

PEGGY

You know they say there's always "two sides to a coin". You should check out some of her posts in the past two yrs regarding a certain horse/connections. Did you?

28 Mar 2011 5:07 PM
WILD HORSES

It really saddens me that to this day we still have to compare Rachel to Big Z. Every person can still have their favorite with still adoring the other one. I hope this doesn't carry over to their foals when they get to the track God willing. So much more is gotten out of each when both are appreciated. I also appreciate both horses connections making any efforts to give their fans info and/ or visits with their horses, as we well know most racemares are wisked off as broodmares rarely ever to be heard from or seen again again.

28 Mar 2011 5:45 PM
Peggy

Mike Relva, Look at the post below yours from Wild Horses.  He thinks (and I do too) that there is no point in carrying forward disputes from the past.  This was a blog about Rachel, and so I didn't think that any of Anna's comments were off topic or in bad taste.  It really doesn't matter what she or you had said in prior blogs.  I hope that you can accept that.  Another thing that bothers me about some of the comments (not yours) is that they disparage some of Rachel's connections.  It seems to me that kind of thing should also be left in the past.  I have seen some names that I know are related to the connections and don't think it's good manners to demean them on Anne's blog which should be entirely positive.

28 Mar 2011 6:12 PM

PEGGY

You stated that this is a blog about RA. But,if you read her post you will see she brings a certain horse and her fans into the equation not in a nice way. Let's don't give a free pass,ok?

28 Mar 2011 7:10 PM
Pumpkin

I agree, I'd love to see a profile on Pepper's Pride and Rags To Riches!

28 Mar 2011 8:04 PM
Peggy

Please excuse me, Anne and the rest of the bloggers for continuing this thread, I probably should just ignore it.  Mike Relva, I am quoting Anna as follows:

"BTW, I am realy tired of the Zenyatta fans saying/writing mean spirited things about Rachel and the Jacksons. There is enough ignorance and hate mongering in this country already. If you don't like them, don't read the story or comment on it and let the rest of us enjoy and share."

I assume that this is what you object to.  If you read the other posts (and there are many including my own)  Anna is not expressing an opinion that is out of line in not liking the negative statements about Rachel (and there were many, before you started posting even).

28 Mar 2011 9:46 PM

PEGGY

I have  respect for the talent RA displayed. Can say without hesitation have defended her countless times on countless blogs. I'm not going to continue on the subject other to express the same person that doesn't like the "mean spirited things" regarding RA/connections didn't have a problem slamming a certain horse/connections several times. So excused me if I detect the "throwing stones while living in glass house" theory. I think RA and her former trainer,Mr. Wiggins were great for racing.

28 Mar 2011 10:46 PM
WAKE UP

****NEWS FLASH*****

ANNA DON'T OWN THIS BLOG.  IT'S NOT HERS TO HAVE THE LAST SAY SO IN, MAYBE SHE SHOULD STICK TO NEEDLE POINTING OR GO HELP OUT AT A LOCAL HUMANE SOCIETY AND LEAVE HORSE RACING TO MORE KNOWLEDGABLE FOLKS...

28 Mar 2011 11:14 PM

WAKE UP

Thanks!

28 Mar 2011 11:35 PM
Peggy

Mike Relva(and WAKE UP) This will be the last time that I answer you because I don't need the last word.  I just wanted to tell you a little story that is related to Rachel Alexandra.  I feel that I owe my voice to Rachel in a way.  I started reading the blogs because I wanted to read things that were written by people who knew more than I do about racing (which is not hard to do, WAKE UP).  At that time I would never have dreamed of posting anything because I didn't think I had anything to say that people would want to hear.  I came to really like some of the people just from reading their posts.  Thanks to all of you, Slew, Dr. D., Needler in VA, and of course to ruffianruns (who said she would always have my back).  I am, after all a Rachel fan and we were attending Zenyatta's Ladies Secret race. So, I know that good things can happen because of friendships made on the blogs and hoped that you would feel the same way. Perhaps even you and Anna can find something in common.

29 Mar 2011 1:32 AM

PEGGY

You write well and seem like a nice individual.

29 Mar 2011 2:01 AM
merasmag

and now lifeissweet...i am just only at a loss now as to why half u people say u haven't seen pictures of ra's baby...they were published WEEKS ago...do u need them on facebook or something?

29 Mar 2011 5:50 AM
WAKE UP

Peggy,  It's not a sin to love them both,  They are equal now, they both have a HOTY , and they both are in foal.  I do believe Rachel A. would have certainly had a better four year old campaign had Hal Wiggins still trained her at the time.  I am sorry,but you can't look at Rachel's 3 yr. old campaign without looking at her 4 year old one,   sorry, but who can help it that RA and Zen both raced against males,  RA took the easy ones and Zen took the worlds best that wanted to run in the BCC.

Both girls seem happy and glee now that they are running in the paddocks,  rolling around in the dirt,  grazing in the blue grass, galloping with their barn mates, napping in the sun,  NOW , I ask any of you, Would you want to see either HOTY trading in all that just to sooth our greed,  NO,  the girls are happy and in foal,  They don't give a rats behind what you all are still bickering about.

What we should be doing now is looking forward to baby one and baby two. OH, and lets not forget about all the other babies thats going to be born next year too.

See Anna,  this is the way you talk to people,  you talk to them not at them,  you make people infurior when you talk to them,  try rewording yourself.   Everyone on here is grown,  they don't need a parent talk.

29 Mar 2011 7:06 AM
Robin From Michigan

Come on people. Do we really have to keep bashing these wonderful, beautiful mares. Just be thankful that they brought us the enjoyment of watching them race. Just think about it this way, their owners did not have to race these two. So, were very forunate that they were grateful to even try racing them. Rachel Alexandra had a wonderful career. Thirteen wins, five seconds and one unplaced race in 19 races is not at all that bad. So, let's knock it off with bashing Rachel Alexandra please.

29 Mar 2011 10:02 AM
Lise from Maine

Bonjour Rachel,

I am so happy (tears of joy) to see you looking great, Rachel.

The photos are great!

Thanks to the owners for allowing this "precious" day to take place.

I am eager to see your "little one" next year.

God love you, Rachel!

Lots of love to you and the owners.

Thank you!

29 Mar 2011 10:43 AM
sad cide

TO THE TRUTH :  zenyatta had one great win in the breeders cup , all her other races were saturday afternoon lovefests on espn where she raced on her hometrack against a group of third rate claimers , id say your the SAD one who bought into the myth of a just avaerage horse !

29 Mar 2011 10:44 AM
Jenn

Beautiful pictures Anne!  Thanks for sharing with those of us who live to far away to visit. She looks beautiful as she always does and I still love the look in her eye and her unique broken blaze.

I love 'em both...imagine the concept people...you don't have to pick, you can love them both for what they both brought to the track and to racing!

Jingles to Jess too...stay strong.

Jenn

29 Mar 2011 11:42 AM

SAD CIDE

If you really believe that absurd comment,you must be living in  a fantasy world. You aren't even close!

29 Mar 2011 11:51 AM
SAD CIDE

mike relva , oh , im more than close , i hit the nail on the head and you know it ! fantasy world ? no , real world ! ive watched more races than anyone on this board , i f you can dispute me then try , zenyatta was was pumped up by espn to try to bolster thier low horse race ratings and she was 3 for 3 at the time so they created this aura about her and the public fell for it , they are tring the same thing now in nascar with danica patrick , she has what ? one career win ! lol !

29 Mar 2011 12:44 PM
The Truth

SAD CIDE,  at least Zenyatta won all her races against fillies young and old,  what happened to the other filly in question?  I sure don't remember seeing her hitting those older mares out of the ballpark,  Yeah, one of the slayers just retired.

29 Mar 2011 1:01 PM
L.S.

@merasmag

Are you sure you're not thinking of the pictures of RA's Dam Lotta Kim with her 2011 filly, who is a  full sister to RA?

Those pictures were posted a couple weeks ago.

RA has not yet had a foal.

29 Mar 2011 1:49 PM

SAD CIDE

What school did you attend,CLOWN SCHOOL? Question? How can you determine for sure "you've watched more races than anyone on the board". I think you take alot for granted! Why don't you argue with individuals like Baffert,Lucas,Shug,and many others' not to mention writers that think Zenyatta is a once in a lifetime? Guess you know more than them,right? lmas

29 Mar 2011 1:54 PM
sad cide

TO MIKE RELVA : my current job is to help trainers break down and analyze race film , so i watch between 280-300 races daily , and yes you are correct , i did attend the ringling bros. clown school in florida in the early seventies , but decided horse racing was my calling !

29 Mar 2011 2:08 PM

SAD CIDE

Ok,if that's what you do,then ok. But,you and I know that many top trainers,writers,etc have the opinion that  she is a "once in a lifetime racehorse". One of many examples when one of Blind Luck's owners' accepted the award for Blind Luck in Jan he took time to comment on Zenyatta,proclaiming that in his five decades of racing he's NEVER seen a horse like her.

29 Mar 2011 2:45 PM
SAD CIDE

MIKE RELVA : APPARENTLY THIS CHAP HASENT SEEN MANY HORSES THEN , she is just not in the same class with personal ensign or ruffian , the best fillies i ever saw , much less affirmed , slew , count fleet or the holy grail , lord god king SECRETARIAT !

29 Mar 2011 3:07 PM
MonicaV

I think having an article and pictures about Rachel is marvelous!  She was retired too quickly and without a word, she just disappeared.  She was a brilliant and magnificent horse and the best 3 year old filly ever.

What saddens me to no end is that this blog is being used for the old Rachel vs Zenyatta silliness.  This is about Rachel, not Zenyatta.

Why would someone come on this blog to disparage Rachel and her Connections?  I just don't understand that.  I don't understand the need to raise one above the other, to snipe at one and adore the other.  Two wonderful horses have taken a beating for about 2 years now.  We should celebrate both of them.  Be glad we witnessed their greatness for there may never be any like them again.  It is obviously very important to some to come on here and talk about Zenyatta being the better of the two when this is in celebration of Rachel.  Let her have her day for she deserves it and remember....it's all a matter of opinion and nothing more.  Everyone is entitled to feel the way they want to but why does it have to demean either horse?  That is simply shameful.

Anne, thank you so much for putting these pictures and the video and the story here.  I have missed Rachel and know that she will have a long, healthy life and produce a wonderous foal.  God bless her!

29 Mar 2011 4:18 PM
dwarfs causeway

TO : MONICA V , HELLO ? this is what sports is about , the competition of whose the best and arguing for your favorite , maybe you should take up a less stressful hobby like maybe crochet or bird watching ! jeez louise !

29 Mar 2011 5:00 PM

SAD CIDE

So,trainers like Baffert,Lukas,Shug M. Ron Ellis,Mike Mitchell,writers like Haskin(who stated in his 43 yrs of racing he NEVER seen a horse like this), Bill Nack,etc.  Guess they don't know what they are talking about,right?

29 Mar 2011 5:45 PM
LauraJ

@Skyfire, according to the Stonestreet website, Hot Dixie Chick is booked to Curlin. It did not say if she had been bred yet.

29 Mar 2011 6:40 PM
MonicaV

Dwarf's causeway,

I don't mind debating and having differences of opinion but to say the horrid things that have been said about both horses is shameful.  This is about a retired horse who is no longer competing.  She was an amazing competitor.  You like Zenyatta better?  Good for you!  Do you like it when someone says she was mediocre?  Of course not because it isn't true.  Same goes for Rachel.  Hatred and atrocious remarks don't do anyone any good and by the way, I have been around horse racing for 45 years and have never witnessed such mean spirited remarks about both of these mares.  Of course,it's easier to be nasty now because you aren't face to face with anyone but your computer.

29 Mar 2011 6:42 PM
merlinmerry

Sad news - Zenyatta lost her foal. She will be bred back to Bernardini.

29 Mar 2011 7:46 PM
dwarfs causway

TO MONICA V: actually i think zenyatta is somewhat overrated, im sure you remember ruffian ? one of the best 5 horses i ever saw , male or female , as far as hiding behind a computer ? if i ever run into you i will walk up introduce myself , give you my address and buy you a mint julip ! lol !

30 Mar 2011 9:19 AM
wilde

one word EXCELLENT...thanks for gring that to the racing world!!

30 Mar 2011 10:29 AM

DWARFS CAUSWAY

Overrated,your joking,right?

30 Mar 2011 10:55 AM
Karen in Texas

merasmag----No one could possibly have seen pictures of Rachel's foal because she has only just been bred to Curlin. The pictures of the foal published here a few weeks ago were of the full SISTER to Rachel with her (their) mother, Lotta Kim. Perhaps you should review that previous blog topic.

30 Mar 2011 11:52 AM
Peggy

Anne did her part in providing the forum and the beautiful pictures for this blog.  I feel we could have done better in our postings.  My favorite blog of the ones that I've read was "The Life and Death of Seattle Slew"  written by Steve Haskin last year.  One of the nice things for me reading it (and having not had a knowledge of Slew during his career) was the memories that people posted.  Many of them brought tears to my eyes. Thanks, Slew (the blogger). And, no one made any negative comments about Slew (the horse).  An especially touching post was by Mickey Taylor, Seattle Slew's owner.  It was obvious that he had been moved also by reading these memories.

My hope is that someday in the future we will all be able to contribute to a blog for Rachel Alexandra and for Zenyatta and be able to share our memories of these two great champions without "she was great,but...".  Mary in VT and Secret Garden we expect to hear from you at that time.

Safe trips to all...Until we meet again.

30 Mar 2011 3:35 PM
skyfire

Thanks, Laura!  It will be fascinating to see the two Curlin foals next year!  They should both have plenty of speed!!

I love Curlin...may both RA and Dixie have safe pregancies and health foals, and may Z do so also.

30 Mar 2011 8:25 PM
Katherine

Anne, I would absolutely love it if you would pay a visit to Mine that Bird! He is one of my, and many others, favorites.

Thank you in advance!

Katherine

31 Mar 2011 2:04 AM
robram

Wow, Rachel is such a beauty .. as attractive in calm repose as she is magnificent in full flight. Can't wait to see her as a mother with her new foal running by her side. Thanks for the great pics and video. She and Ruffian are my favorites!

31 Mar 2011 2:33 PM
Sunny Farm

What a fun day that must have been for everyone who was lucky to be there ! RACHEL ALEXANDRA looked like she enjoyed her day and Anne, you have done it again with the wonderful photographs ! Thanks SO much for sharing ! Stonestreet looks like a beautiful & happy farm !

I would love to see a story and new pictures of CURLIN and also

MINE THAT BIRD. I would LOVE to know how CONDUIT is doing in Japan, what a wild beauty he is, and a real Champion.

31 Mar 2011 4:21 PM
Sunny Farm

MARY IN VERMONT;

Thanks so much for writing about RACHEL ALEXANDRA the way you did.

I am breathless after reading your awesome Blog /story. "I lived it" ,via your writing. HOW WONDERFUL."That RACHEL, she is much the best "

31 Mar 2011 4:38 PM
merasmag

whoops...i gotta stop posting so early in de am!

01 Apr 2011 4:30 PM
julie

I am very happy to see Rachel shared with the fans. I would have loved to be there. I was lucky to be at Churchill when she won the Oaks and followed her races there after. Thank-you for sharing her now and thanks for the great photos

01 Apr 2011 8:32 PM
crl

great pics thanks it is so nice to be able to see these pics of the retired horses and keep up on them. hopefully with RA and Zenyatta posting we will see the same thing with other horses. how neat it would be to follow RAs little sister from these first pics posted all the way to her racing.

09 Apr 2011 11:26 PM
Karen in Texas

Condolences to the Jackson family today. Although he did not live long enough to see his Rachel/Curlin offspring, he did have the knowledge that she was pronounced in foal a few weeks ago.

21 Apr 2011 12:33 PM