Best Bob Lewis Raced Horses

With the Robert B. Lewis Stakes this weekend, we honor Bob Lewis by ranking some of the best horses he raced.

To participate, use your cursor to drag the selections on the left (currently arranged in alphabetical order) to the blank placeholders on the right. Once you have completed ranking all of the horses, submit your entries and compare your results to the rest of the community. A first place finish will earn 7 points, second place receives 6 points, and so on.

Tiznowbaby

I personally couldn't put Charismatic above Timber Country or Orientate. At least the top two were easy.

03 Feb 2010 2:39 PM
miramartzu

What an accomplished list of horses. That being said, I'm not sure who in Ca. is responsible for naming stakes races, a serious omission has been made. As soon as Bob Lewis and John Mabee died they had races named in their honor. So what about Trudy McCathrey? She had many grade one winners, Came Home and Free House to name a few. She was also very active in charity work and programs to expose this sport to young people.It's about time they name a grade 1 race in honor of this grade 1 lady.

03 Feb 2010 2:57 PM
Charmed By Silver

This one was simple for me. Silver Charm on top. He had so much heart. Its too bad he's over in Japan at stud ... hope he comes home one day soon

03 Feb 2010 3:28 PM
Rachel

Serena's Song and Their 2 Derby/Preakness winners, for sure,

Folklore...out of Tiznow's first crop, too bad she couldn't go on as a 3 year-old...wonderful of Lewis's to support him..

All great horses.

Wonderful owners, great for racing, really nice folks.

03 Feb 2010 3:59 PM
rilharreguy

I agree Silver Charm is an easy pick on top and Serena was an easy 2nd. The rest are a pretty even buch, and by even I mean they were all outstanding.

Miramartu, the owner you are speaking of is named Trudy McCaffery, not McCathrey. Yes, she was a wonderful owner and long time partner with John Toffan. Truth be told she should have a race named after her. Also, more owners should be sending stock to Paco Gonzalez. It was unfortunate that with the death of McCaffery also came the end to Mr. Gonzlez's career as a trainer of G1 horses.

03 Feb 2010 4:20 PM
Runfast159

What a nice list of horses to be associated with. Silver Charm and Serena's Song were two of my favorites.  I always wished Timber Country had raced more.  He was immensely talented with a big,beautiful stride.

That said, I will always remember Bob and Beverly Lewis for being unquestionably the nicest and  most gracious of people. It was easy to root for their horses - they truly loved the sport and their animals.  You just could not find people that were better sports than they were. It didn't hurt, for me, that they were University of Oregon alumni (GO DUCKS!) who's silks were a tribute to the university where they met.

03 Feb 2010 5:24 PM
Pioneer

Great group of horses

03 Feb 2010 5:47 PM
Shari

What a nice bunch of horses to have owned. Silver Charm was #1 for the simple reason that he did so much and was such a fighter. I will always remember his World Cup win and his determination to win.

03 Feb 2010 6:35 PM
marktoothaker

Silver Charm for sure but I love Runfast159 comments about what a great guy Bob was. He is truly missed, one of my favorite Bob Lewis stories was when he was looking for a trainer in the beginning several took him and some other of his friends to eat at a Japanese restaurant. Wanting to stick with the theme everyone was ordering Japanese beer or spirits but one very sharp trainer ordered Budweiser and he got the horses.

03 Feb 2010 8:16 PM
Tim

Senor Swinger is on there but not Composure or Exploit? Even Santa Catarina and Straight Man deserve a mention in that case.

03 Feb 2010 8:28 PM
Kelly E.

Silver Charm is #1 for me - always!  What heart he had!

04 Feb 2010 8:22 AM
dayle eldredge

Too bad the top two choices are in Japan-Hopefully an effort will be made to return them both to the US soon!!!!

04 Feb 2010 9:38 AM
Briggs

Silver Charm was the horse that got me into horseracing... even though he broke my heart in the Belmont! He will always be one of my favorite racehorses!!

04 Feb 2010 10:15 AM
Queen Bee

I want to second rilharreguy's comments - I miss seeing those bright yellow silks. I miss seeing Paco's name as a trainer of G 1 horses, and I think So Cal is missing the Trudy McCaffery Stakes.

04 Feb 2010 10:59 AM
Colmel

No question in my mind - Silver Charm is number 1. I have read recently that the Charm may be heading to Old Friends upon retirement from the breeding shed. Really hope this happens since I don't see him coming home before he's retired.

04 Feb 2010 11:40 AM
Kate Hunter

Silver Charm all the way. He got me into racing to start with and in turn got me into Japanese racing. I owe him my future career.

For those of you worried about him over in Japan, I go visit him every year. (I live in Japan for the moment) He is doing very well, healthy and happy. Quite spunky actually. I put up pictures of him on Flickr and will continue to do so every time I visit him. He is treated very well.

Search for "Silver Charm Japan" on flickr and you will find them!

08 Feb 2010 10:45 AM
serena's song

Serena is number#1 in my book. Silver Charm is #2- I met him before he shipped to Japan, one of the nicest horses I have had the pleasure of meeting.

08 Feb 2010 12:48 PM
Criminal Type

Silver Charm and Serenas Song where tough, either one could have been number one, no question. I would love to see Silver Charm come home, it's sad that so many of our great racers are in japan. It worries me given what happened to Ferdinand. I was really glad to hear that Daylami has finally left South Africa for Ireland (where he belongs). He should do as well there as his half brother Dalakhani. After all, he was horse of the year in Europe, horse of the world and Eclipse Turf champion.

11 Feb 2010 5:12 PM
Ann in Lexington

Criminal Type: South Africa is not the end of the world; it has a long and storied history of racing and breeding. If you hadn't noticed, South African-bred/raced horses trained by South African Mike de Kock have been prominent winners in Dubai. We don't see many of them in the US (champion Hawaii, Horse Chestnut, and Ipi

Tombe being welcome exceptions) because of quarantine restrictions on imports that are much more stringent than for horses from Europe or South America.

20 Feb 2010 12:02 PM
SerenasSong

Always a horse lover, I never followed horseracing until I accidentally saw Serena's Song Run While flipping through the channels back in 1995.  She will always be my number one.

03 Apr 2010 7:59 PM
Wisconsin

For sheer heart, Charismatic - finishing 3rd in the Belmont on a break.....it hurts to see him lingering in Japan.

08 Feb 2011 4:44 PM