Donn Handicap - The Last 10 Years

The grade I Donn is one of the first big races on the calendar for older horses, and has been won by many outstanding individuals. Rank the Donn winners from the last 10 years.

To participate, use your cursor to drag the selections on the left (currently arranged in chronological order) to the blank placeholders on the right. Once you have completed ranking all of the horses, submit your entries and compare your results to the rest of the community. A first place ranking will earn 10 points, second place receives 9 points, and so on.

ellebellee

1. Invasor

2. Saint Liam

3. Quality Road

4. Medaglia d'Oro

5. Brass Hat

6. Albertus Maximus

7. Mongoose

8. Captain Steve

9. Sring at Last

10. Harlan's Holiday

02 Feb 2011 7:32 PM
steveuk30

have to agree with your top 3 i have Brass Hat and Medalia d'Oro flipped....

and if you have not seen Invansor winning the Donn it your missing one the best runs ever

02 Feb 2011 8:28 PM
skyfire

I would rank Cigar above this group.

02 Feb 2011 8:35 PM
Eric

So the question becomes whether we're ranking the horses that won the Donn in the last 10 years, or if we're ranking the quality of the race that each horse ran while winning the Donn each year.

If you're just ranking the horses, putting Captain Steve on the bottom half of this list is blasphemy.  One heck of a racehorse there.  If you're ranking the race they ran to win the Donn itself... well then now you've got an argument.

02 Feb 2011 9:24 PM
steveuk30

well of course you have to rank Cigar above these but did he win the Donn in the last 10yrs that all we are asking

and agree Captain Steve great Horse

02 Feb 2011 10:53 PM
thomas

imo invasor's was the best race he pretty much fell to his knees on the rail and still won

02 Feb 2011 10:57 PM
Matthew W

I had Invasor #1 but Captain Steve #2...also I think Twirling Candy, running in the Strub on Sat, would win this year's Donn by open lengths....

03 Feb 2011 1:10 AM
Criminal Type

<<Was at Cigar's Donn..I was all over Holy Bull when he was 3 & 4 and never really crazy about Cigar (or Invasor for that matter) You could say I was pretty upset when Holy Bull was injured and eased. Although, in my mind, it all worked out since Cigar was a bust in the fertility dept and Holy Bull recovered from his injury and has been a successful sire with a Kentucky Derby winner in Giacomo.

All that being said, I take nothing away from Cigar's accomplishments, ability and personality. I just wasn't crazy about him. As to Invasor, It doesn't appear breeders have given him much of a chance at stud up to this point, He has had a very light book with less then 60 named foals from his first year at stud. compared to Hard Spun, since they went to stud the same year, with nearly twice that many. Although I expect Invasor's book will pick up if his first couple of crops do well on the track.

03 Feb 2011 7:24 AM
Darla Burton

Medaglia d' Oro always No. 1!!  IMO

03 Feb 2011 8:30 AM
Argpress

What question is that? Invasor, of course. The best race and winner.

03 Feb 2011 9:54 AM
Unitas

I couldn't rank Quality Road higher than 5th, he pretty much was one dimensional and when he did win(albeit in track record time in the Donn), he usually was beating fields that were not of the greatest quality. His babies should relish distances up to a mile.

03 Feb 2011 10:37 AM
Pedigree Ann

When Brass Hat was GOOD, back in his 05-06 winter campaign, he was VERY GOOD. That day at GP was wet and the track was a paradise for front-runners. Not only did Brass Hat come from the middle of the pack, but he blew away the field by open lengths. Yes, I had money on him to win; I'd loved him since his Rushaway win.

That said, Invasor's win was in a league with Afleet Alex's Preakness or Alysheba's Derby: the stuff of legends. A horse who couldn't possibly win after that kind of stumble, yet did.

Mongoose and Spring at Last were lucky winners and belong at the bottom of the pack. Other rankings have to wait until I check the weights.

03 Feb 2011 12:16 PM
v

Who is putting a horse who got his butt handed to him all 3 times he raced beyond 1 1/8 ahead of a HOTY in Saint Liam.  The race says "rank the Donn WINNERS" not rank the "race".  QR, is still trying to hit the finish line in the BCC.  Invasor-Saint Liam-Medaglia D'Oro (Top 3 EASY)

03 Feb 2011 1:34 PM
Rachel

Last 10 years strictly on time:

1. Harlan's Holiday 1:49.17

2. Quality Road 1:47.49

3. Medaglia d'Oro 1:47.68

4. Brass Hat 1:47.79

5. Spring at Last 1:48.35

6. Invasor/Saint Liam 1:48.43

8. Captain Steve 1:48.95

9. Mongoose 1:49.63

10. Albertus Maximus 1:50.96

03 Feb 2011 1:39 PM
TNT_Gravy

I ranked Captain Steve way up there because he won the Dubai World Cup.

03 Feb 2011 3:53 PM
Peter

I think this is the best order of talentf.

03 Feb 2011 5:39 PM
Lisa

Rachel - nice job with the times. Interesting that Invasor and St. Liam had the same time. That would've been cool to see those two HOY race against each other. St. Liam was always consistent and was closer than any other horse to almost, almost catch the GhostZapper. Brass Hat gets honorable mention for being the old warhorse that he was. It would be hard to choose between Quality Road and Medalgia d'Oro for bestlooking.  All hard choices...

03 Feb 2011 8:38 PM
anniedixie65

Here are my top 3

1. Invasor

2. Quality Road

3. Medaglia D'Oro

04 Feb 2011 6:44 PM
John D

You can't rank them strictly on time.  Track likely was different every time.

IMO, Albertus Maximus should be higher on the list, maybe 4 or 5.  He went on to win the BC dirt mile. Let us not forget that!

09 Feb 2011 1:35 PM
gen.duke

I PICKED BRASS HAT BECAUSE HE OVER CAME SO MUCH WITH HIS INJURIES. HAVE A GREAT RETIREMENT !!!!!!!!

24 May 2011 7:04 PM