Big Fun

Well, now I have seen it all and have laughed a good deal about it.

The Onion released an amazing article on endorsements for Big Brown involving his own personal line of horseshoes. Read the article here.
For those who don't know the Onion, it is an entertainment-based news source and should not be taken literally.

In light of this article, there is a lot of talk about the IEAH gentlemen creating hedge funds and being businessmen. With a great deal of experience in business, the stock market, and other ventures, it is no surprise that they have new deals emerging.

One such deal seems to be the gain of more advertisers in the industry, and is seriously great for us. I often look at NASCAR and wonder how advertising can be used in that way to increase revenue for our horse industry. But then again, you should always be careful what you wish for. Im not saying I know what that would look like and I would not want that to affect tradition. But man, things could get a little hairy.

Alas, I am building up to this moment and pictures are worth a thousand words. So my statement is this: (feel free to chuckle!)

Caption: Big Brown posing with the Hooters models. Photo: Anne M. Eberhardt

Big Fun or Big Mistake?

zed

Big Brown looks pleased.

05 Jun 2008 4:08 PM
appiehog

I don't see anything wrong with company's sponsoring or owning horses, no bumper stickers please.

05 Jun 2008 4:12 PM
Scoop Novak

No, Big Brown looks peeved (check out the ears)... Desormeaux looks pleased!

05 Jun 2008 4:30 PM
Karen

Adam, I suppose this could be taken with a grain of salt and laughed off. In my opinion Hooters lacks class and you hate to see this as a part of our industry but there is no way to stop it. Just by the other blogs I have read already, some are not so impressed with this. Some will be. I don't think it will change much.

Zed: I would have to disagree. BB looks bored to death. Perhaps if these girls had four legs and showed some interest he would be much more responsive. Kent on the other hand seems pleased.

05 Jun 2008 4:32 PM
Oglala Sue

This and other racing publications use the word Yum! when speaking of the Ky Derby (which is nails on a chalkboard), so, there's no reason why jockeys shouldn't be able to have sponsorships.

Good for Desoremaux for getting his slice of the pie.

That said, it would have been nice if he could have landed a classier account.

05 Jun 2008 4:50 PM
AJ

IEAH is such a classy organization, OF COURSE they would sign on HOOTERS!

05 Jun 2008 5:04 PM
Ellen

Big mistake. Fine if Desormeaux wants a sponsor for himself, but bringing Big Brown literally into the picture is tasteless and lacking in class. I hate to think what comes next, especially if he wins the Triple Crown.

05 Jun 2008 5:18 PM
Liz

Actually, Hooters is sponsoring Kent, and not IEAH.  My main reason for being ok with the deal is that it is going to benefit Kent's son and promote research for Usher's syndrome.  I was an inside witness to Kent's triple crown experience ten years ago, and I credit his experience as a father with making him a more focused and less emotional rider, and a more balanced person.

I can't say that I  have any opinion for or against the connections of Big Brown, but I will say that I know a special horse when I see one.  I have worked several hundred horses in my career, and many world champions, I know this is a very unusual horse. Regardless of what quality competition he has, or has not faced this year, his brain makes him unique.  He has the physical gifts he needs and he has the soul of a winner. I hope he comes home safe and sound, and I would love to see him become a triple crown winner.

05 Jun 2008 5:35 PM
horse hoot

I hate it! This promots nothing except the fact that so many people in horse racing are greedy. Poor Big Brown,this just makes me throw up. Brown just looks mad that he was disterbed. Kent should have gone with a little more respected sponsor...but he sure is all smiles!

05 Jun 2008 7:39 PM
JUSTIN

Good thing Big Brown is not a gelding

05 Jun 2008 8:01 PM
Jill

Sigh. Nothing anyone connected to this wonderful horse does surprises me these days. I just keep telling myself that Big Brown can't choose his "family" anymore than I can.

05 Jun 2008 8:10 PM
Art

This is a great move and hopefully paves the way for more like sponsorships in horse racing.  A little extra money is never a bad thing!

05 Jun 2008 8:12 PM
JUSTIN

Connections do not deserve a triple crown Denis of cork will win on top of Casino drive

05 Jun 2008 8:20 PM
JJ

Is this the sport of KINGS or the sport of Wings?

This is almost as bad as the Yum! Brand Kentucky Derby! Cheap cheap cheap. Regardless of the purpose, I'm sure he could've found a more ... appropriate ... sponsor to help Kent and his son out ... not a franchise based on womanizing and hot wings.

06 Jun 2008 12:10 AM
LACS

The Onion article was great. There is a better one that is dated 4/17/08 about the trainer that accidentially trains a boxer to be a racehorse is rather funny.

Anyway, BB doesnt look bothered by the Hooters Girls. This horse seems to love all of the fuss around him right now.

06 Jun 2008 11:24 AM
needler in Virginia

There's just no other word for it.........TACKY!! At the VERY least, leave the horse out of it. While my horses are seldom embarrassed (much like my cats), this is just over the top. And don't try to tell me that Hooters was the ONLY business lining up to ride the Big Brown Train.......a better choice could have been made. Sadly, it's a done deal.

All that said, I wish safe trips for all, and may everyone else cross the finish line looking at a Big Brown Butt.

Let's hear it for the Big Brown Crown!

Cheers.

06 Jun 2008 11:44 AM
Jamie21Williamson

WHATEVER... LETS JUST RACE!!!!

06 Jun 2008 11:50 AM