Me Matey's! Arrrrr Won!

A few posts ago we discussed various race track announcers, and I specifically pointed out Mr. Tom Durkin and described the joy of watching him call Arrrrr's races especially.

Well, with Durkin's exciting encouragement Arrrrr won the second race at Saratoga for July 28, 2008! It was a great run, and Arrrrr was set up well. Why is this moment more special than most others for Arrrrr? It is his first win.

Amidala and I gathered up a group who had not experienced the awesomeness of Durkin calling one of Arrrrr's races, to watch this one. And we were not disappointed. Marta and I have followed Arrrrr since the end of summer last year, and it is great to see him still giving his all. All the new fans of the Durkin/Arrrrr combo thoroughly enjoyed the call and the race. I don't think they really believed how fun it is to hear Durkin call the race, but now they are new believers.

At first I did not hear who was announcing the race and was hoping for Mr. Durkin. Then the TVG commentator said Durkin would be calling it, and I became a little giddy.

Watch Arrrrr' Win Here:

National talk like a pirate day: September 19

Pyro's Fire

I was just sitting here re-watching the Jim Dandy Stakes (gr. II) and have to make a comment to all the Pyro haters out there. So many people were dogging the handsome closer/stalker following the Derby and even after he didn't take to Keeneland's Polytrack in the Toyota Blue Grass Stakes (gr. I) before The Run for the Roses.

After cheering him on during Stephen Foster day and watching his wonderful win there in the Northern Dancer Stakes (gr. III), and after just viewing the Jim Dandy race replay, something needs to be said. To all the Pyro haters, eat my grass.

He might not win every race, but man, his heart is in it to win it, and he has so many impressive wins and great runs under his belt. He has absolutely nothing to prove, except to continue rocking the track. Hopefully his connections will allow him to have a long career so I can enjoy his continued accomplishments.

Can you really blame him for being uneasy in a 20-horse field during the Derby? I mean he did finish near the middle of the pack. The speed in the race was rather large as well. So that is my rant: you need to appreciate this horse.

The Jim Dandy Stakes:

Perfect Soul's First Winner:

Perfect Soul had his first winner over the weekend, so I want to congratulate him and his connections on the win.

Why not, one more Arrrrr race with Durkin calling:

MJ

Thank you for saying that about Pyro!  I completely agree with you.  He is an awesome horse.  Nobody wins all the time...perfect example, the New England Patriots (forgive me Patriot fans).  Pyro gives 100% everytime he is on the track and he deserves respect.

28 Jul 2008 6:04 PM
Huh

Arrrr stepped up today in a maiden claimer, WAY TO GO!

28 Jul 2008 6:30 PM
Wanda

Sorry Adam but I seriously don't understand why people hate Pyro. Is it the connections? The horse is grinding out money so it can't be that.Why hate a  animal(no disrespect intended).

28 Jul 2008 6:41 PM
Glenn

Spending the week at the Spaaaaaaaaa 8/14-20 and hoping to see Arrrr run and win again. Durkin's call today was classic.

Already missing Luke but I can't imagine a racing world without Tom Durkin. No doubt his ashes will get spread across the Seven Seas. Arrrrrrrrrrr.

28 Jul 2008 8:14 PM
Alex

As I've posted on your colleague Jason Shandler's blog from the very beginning, I'm a "Pyromaniac" from the time I saw him close in the Champagne Stakes and Breeder's Cup Juvenile. A rare thing for a 2 year old to be a dead closer like that. Watch him in the Travers. Like the Who said, "we won't get fooled again"!

28 Jul 2008 8:48 PM
alybar

I believe Mr. Durkin also enjoys calling Arrrrr's races.  He adds so much entertainment.

I too like Pyro.

28 Jul 2008 9:44 PM
ctgreyhound

Pyro, what's there to hate?  He's a jim dandy colt, always eager, with plenty of spunk.  His best days are yet to come.  It's then that the naysayers will have to eat their words.  I look forward to it.

28 Jul 2008 9:56 PM
Gail

I totally agree with you about Pyro. I have watched everyone of his races. I think he is one of the best 3yr. olds out there. Just look at him!.He is very impressive, sturdy and with a great attitude. I would really like to see him hang around for awhile. What fun that would be.

28 Jul 2008 10:44 PM
jj

Who doesn't love a closer? And props to Macho Again, underrated for awhile but really quite the racehorse.

28 Jul 2008 10:58 PM
Bekah

The call of Arrrrr's race was awesome! I loved it! I'm soo glad I was watching TVG today. I personally thought Pyro's Jim Dandy was excellent. I've been a fan of his and I'm glad he's still running at the top. I hope he continues to do so.

28 Jul 2008 11:13 PM
Darlene

I love Pyro I just visited his Dad Pulpit at Claiborne farm I hope to see Pyro someday also He is a great horse and will go down in the history books.

29 Jul 2008 9:19 AM
Huh

Although I'm not a "Pyro hater", I still don't see him winning the Travers because of his late closing kick, and closers don't always have the kick, that or when they're charging they get blocked, which allows stalkers like the underrated Macho Again to win.

29 Jul 2008 10:05 AM
aspradling

Huh, I'm not a Pyro or nothing guy, hehe. I have seen Pyro stalk before, but the distance in the Travers might be too far. He closed well at 1 1/8, but 1 1/16 is his prime distance. So 1 1/4 could be a challenge.

What is it about Macho Again you think will really come to play in the Travers?

29 Jul 2008 10:31 AM
ruffian518

Arrrrr! was great, wasn't he? They should call him "Arrrrr! The Pirate of the track" And pyro, I dig Pyro, I think the jock should have unleashed him a bit earlier though,I really think it's the surface with him,Some horse do great on certain tracks and then choke on others.Thanks for the Arrrrr video, that was great to see again.

29 Jul 2008 10:48 AM
swami

Pyro is great!  Enjoy watching him almost as much as i enjoy his stable mate Curlin.

29 Jul 2008 11:09 AM
schabelli

Pyro's inability to dominate against a very weak class of 3 yr. olds tells me all I need to know. He certainly shows heart but his efforts are exagerated racing against his pathetic class. Look at the time of the "Dandy", nothing to get excited about there. Someone had to win this race so don't get too excited about the winner either. Pyro has been a useful play in the past for me but I completely left him out of my bets in the Derby based on my judgements and was rewarded handsomely for that. This class of 3 yr olds will keep trading wins as there is no horse outside of possibly Big Brown who will dominate races written for 3 yr olds only. You can't forget though that while Big Brown has crushed some of these he has also been whipped by some of the same. Let's get this year over with and hope for a more stellar class next year.

29 Jul 2008 11:23 AM
aspradling

SchabelIi: can somewhat accept the weak 3yo field argument this year. I respect your point on his Derby loss, but I am not comparing him to Big Brown.

Pyro runs his race and runs it very well. Some of the times in races he wins are slow, but that is what helps set him up in the longer distances.

I won some bucks with him in the Northern Dancer. Pyro also has shown he can have a turn-a-foot...he has had a bad race or two, but I think Big Brown has had a bad race as well...

Huh: That is a good point, I will have to go examine the charts, I have not honestly given them a close look yet.

29 Jul 2008 11:45 AM
Huh

Macho Again's chances to win in the Travers all depend on the early pace. If you look at the Equibase charts for all his wins, you'll notice that in all but one he took over from either dueling frontrunners or one frontrunner who opened up on the field.

29 Jul 2008 11:45 AM
josue555

i like pyro also, but the only way he is going to get respect is if he beats big brown, curlin or some big race with good old horses. as for macho again he is not winning the travers, you could just see it he is going to fade out to probably third or fourt, i hope pyro battle coronel john at the wire in a photo finish. what about datara and anakal they should be glad that big brown had a bad day, and that the breeders cup made the marathon division.

29 Jul 2008 1:18 PM
LoveMyLava

Hey Adam. We met on Foster day...I am the Curlin fan who was with your other co-worker! :)

Anyway, just wanted to say I am also a Pyro fan, he was my Derby pick. And they don't all have to be great, sometimes they just grab a hold of you! I have everything from G1 winners to cheap $4k claimers in my stable mail, and I have an attachment to them all! Pyro ran a great race in the Jim Dandy, and he'll be back to fight another day!

Thanks for posting the Durkin call, too, that was a hoot!

29 Jul 2008 1:42 PM
needler in Virginia

You just gotta love anyone who can find a big smile in racing these days! GO ARRRR and Tom Durkin; they seem to go together well..........and what fun!!

Cheers.

29 Jul 2008 7:32 PM
Splash

Did you see this race call from Saratoga.  I believe we have aa horse to watch: Arrrr

Clark

30 Jul 2008 8:52 AM
ruffian518

Anybody see MSNBC, Morning Joe this morning? They had the race with Arrrrr, on, I would like to get people to start looking at this horses who,  some people seem to forget.After all without the daily runners,we wouldn't have very much of a horseracing venue.

kudos to Morning Joe, for putting it on,even if it was for the call by TD,it still got Arrrrr noticed to.

30 Jul 2008 10:41 AM
waitawhile

Can you imagine Arrrr winning the Triple Crown?  That would be so funny but way historical.  This is great.  I don't know if I could do that without busting up laughing.

23 Aug 2008 11:41 AM