I Am Watching You.

Here is a list of a couple new horses I am watching for the coming new year, thus some are derby projections.

At the top of the list is none other than Scooby Dubai. You all know by now how much names mean to me in having fun with this sport, but it isn't just what's in a name, it is his potential.

12/5 finished 1st in a 7f MCL $33,800
11/9 finished 8th
10/13 finished 6th

Now comes the riverly to watch with great excitement in 2009. Two Candy Ride's who are similar in name and quite interestingly similar in achievements.
Capt. Candyman Can vs Chocolate Candy

Chocolate Candy (my favored of the two with that Seattle Slew mix):
1st in Real Quiet Stakes  11/08
3rd in ChashCall Futurity Gr. I  12/2

Capt Candyman Can:
1st Iroquois Stakes Gr. III  11/01
3rd Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes Gr. II 11/29

I must include a few BC contenders I really liked...

Terrain:
1st in Mountaineer Juvenile Stakes  8/02
1st Arlington Washington Futurity Gr. III 9/13
2nd Lane's End Breeders' Futurity Gr. I 10/04
10/25 Bessemer Trust Breeders' Cup Juvenile S. Gr. I finished 4th
12/5 Body gaming's Helta Jackpot S. finished 5th

...and Horse of the moment is still Be Smart. The Smarty Jones who had a good run in the Breeders' Cup meet. I have been following Be Smart through our Maiden Watch blog since his workouts and starts began. She will be one I watch.

Let's throw in Atomic Rain:

11/29 Remsen Stakes Gr. II finished 2nd
6/5 MSW finished 1st
5/18 MSW 2nd

Who are you watching currently and what are you hoping to see leading up to the Kentucky Derby, horse wise?

---

Just released courtesy of Animal Planet, Photos for the upcoming Jockey reality series. Read my previous post on the announcement of this series back in April, the public seems very interested in it.

SmartyJones04

I like Well Postitioned: looking forward to seeing him as a 3 yo. Square Eddie: nice pedigree, great potential. I also like Chocolate Candy, Indygo Mountain, Obligingly, and maybe even Believe in Hope. Nice comment about Be Smart, she's a good filly, and I love her sire.

23 Dec 2008 5:53 PM
Sierra

Old fashioned and Vineyard Haven.

23 Dec 2008 6:20 PM
christy tate

too many possibilities to mention.looks like the show will be cool.

23 Dec 2008 6:25 PM
DONNA

I'm keeping my eyes on the two Candy colts and Terrain. Hoping to see a little more out og Terrain in his next race.

23 Dec 2008 6:29 PM
Tigerlily

I like Rockland the other Smarty Jones horse.  There is also a possibility we might see some new two year olds as three year olds like Nicanor.  I also would like to see Keefer perform again.

23 Dec 2008 7:29 PM
VonCram

I am keeping an eye on Stimulus Plan.  He closed like a freight train to catch third the Delta Jackpot.  I can't wait to see his next race.

23 Dec 2008 10:11 PM
Tony Kelso

I think West Side Bernie is interesting.  He only needs slight improvement and has the right style to run well in a Grade 1 race with a fast pace.

23 Dec 2008 11:25 PM
mdfanofracing

What about Old Fashioned, Rockland, Big Drama, Freisan Fire...or maybe there is a soon to be 3 yr old out there that has yet to ping the radar. I really like Old Fashioned, and i know its far fetched but what id like more is to see Nicanor finish the job his brother started.

24 Dec 2008 6:11 AM
MRO

I'm also watching Chocolate Candy. His dam is the Seattle Slew daughter Crownette, who won a stakes and was placed in several others in California.

24 Dec 2008 7:49 AM
Wanda

One horse I'm watching now is Danger to Society a 2 soon to be 3 yr old. Of course he's a Harlan's Holiday. I would like to think that anything that puts racing in a positive light would be great for the sport right now. I look forward to watching it, thanks for the heads up.

I'm heading down to spend Christmas with the inlaws today so have a very Merry Christmas Adam and a Happy New Year! Here's hoping every horse gets carrots and treats for Christmas.

24 Dec 2008 10:28 AM
sking

Old Fashioned, beat the last bunch like a redheaded step-child. Vineyard Haven will be close and would be higher if he hadn't been shanghied to the desert.

24 Dec 2008 1:53 PM
Blue Blue Sea

Missing a "C" in your first horse's name, right?

I'm a Choco Candy fan myself.

24 Dec 2008 2:24 PM
Nina

Personally, I have my eye on Atomic Rain. I feel that with his sire being Smart Strike, and the fact that he is a May foal, he will just get better as he matures. I don't know if he will mature in time for the Derby but I can hope.

24 Dec 2008 3:15 PM
gammyp6

I am very keen on  Captain Candyman Can and I would like to see Big Drama at the Derby. I would like to see a game filly. My pick would be Stardom Bound.

24 Dec 2008 6:32 PM
Michael

I am waiting to early FEbruary for a horse named Engine Room, he is by Pleasant Tap out of an Unbridled mare that is the Dam of South American Champion Deepak.  Should have the stamina to be classic type, although may not be ready for Derby.

24 Dec 2008 6:41 PM
m palmer

City Style - City Zip - Brattothecore

1st Sunday Silence

4th 21/2L Breeders' Cup Juvenile Turf Gr. I

In his last two starts he came from 12 lengths last and second to last. He will love the 10F of the derby. His pedigree is very moderate and it could be argued that he is out running it.

Sunday Blitz - Sunday Break - Swan.

His pedigree reflects a single inbreeding to Ribot. Smarty Jones & Funny Cide pedigrees reflect a single inbreeding to Ribot and they were both sired by grandsons of Mr. Prospector.

Coronet Of A Baron - Pur Prize - Time For A Crown.

He is a smallish April 27th, Colt that has only a maiden victory to his credit. He was only 2yrs, 6mnt when he was beaten 21/2L by the older and more experienced Donativum and Westphalia in the BCJ Turf. He will grow over the winter and I think it is time for a derby crown for the guys from Dubai. I also love the Damascus broodmare line.

Others on watch - Quality Road,Stimulus Plan,Map Of The World,Danger To Society

24 Dec 2008 8:34 PM
Slewed'em

Hopefully we'll see Nicanor come the first saturday in May.

24 Dec 2008 9:33 PM
Jack

As a part time bartender, I have been heavily hyping Old Fashioned!!!!!

24 Dec 2008 11:56 PM
BlueHen

It's kind of early to tell.  I'm reading "Exterminator" in the Thoroughbred Legends series, and they all had Sun Briar picked out as the Derby winner after his 2-year-old victories, whereas Exterminator wasn't even on the radar screen and won it.

That being said, I enjoyed Cribnote's crazy, weaving run in the Hopeful at Saratoga last summer; even though he didn't win, he seemed to have plenty left in the gas tank.

Any thoughts on Beethoven?

26 Dec 2008 8:30 PM
Tracy

My heart belongs to Nicanor for the Kentucky Derby.

27 Dec 2008 2:29 PM
Mack

Lets not forget Vineyard Haven and Midshipman. But I wouldn't be surprised to Stardom Bound prep for the Run for the Roses. She seems to be in a league of her own and the distance will not be a problem for the daughter of Tapit.

But I am thinking that we may not have even heard of the horse who's going to win the race yet. Last year did anyone beside IEAH know who Big Brown was or Curlin the year before?

I have seen Terrain and I think there are question marks there. He won the Arlington Washington Futurity by double DQ.

27 Dec 2008 3:16 PM
Jackman

I agree that the Candy Rides are shaping up nicely.  They are showing that they can carry their speed beyond sprint distances.  I am sure he will be seeing a better quality of mares this year.

27 Dec 2008 9:55 PM
guninpocket

Lets have more and better up to date on all the babies turning 3 in a couple of days. Let us know, who your watching, where and for what reason, this type of information is great. Thanks much.

28 Dec 2008 3:34 PM
Ranagulzion

we are watching,in order of preference: Big Drama, Vineyard Haven, Breakwater Edison, Midshipman, Old Fashioned, Hello Broadway, Jose Adan, Square Eddie, Munnings, Chochalate Candy, Well Positioned and wishing that Nicanor(Barbaro's full brother) enters the fray for the Triple Crown.

Happy New Year.

28 Dec 2008 8:35 PM
aspradling

I did misspell Scooby Dubai's name, by leaving out the 'C' thanks for pointing that out! It isnt nearly as fun with the missing c.

Thanks Wanda and all the others who had Holiday wishes.

A mighty fine list we have acquired here. Many common horses to watch early and many under the radar it seems.

If I have learned anything since being here, half the eligible horses we like early don't make it to the derby contending. Let's hope they stay healthy and I am excited to discover new horses that hit the radar, that is a lot of fun.

29 Dec 2008 9:38 AM
olivia

deff. nicanor!:) square eddie old fashioned and pioneer of the nile!=]

29 Dec 2008 2:59 PM
salfordcity

Scooby just had 3 weeks off at the Farm in Ky as woodbine is finished,he is now at Philadelphia Park,so expect to see him run at the end of Jan

30 Dec 2008 11:37 AM
m palmer

Neither Storm Cat nor any of his sons have ever sired a derby winner. Storm Cat is now been pensioned so it is left to his sons to do the job. I am going to take a big gamble and focus on the 3YOs from Storm Cat's immediate line.

They are as follows:-

Coronet Of A Baron,Danger To Society,Giant Oak, Segal,Silent Valor, Azul Leon, Lyin Heart,Map Of The World, West Side Bernie.

I Think one of these horses will win the derby as a retirement present to the Big Cat.

02 Jan 2009 2:16 AM
Karen2

the upcoming jockey reality series will either really help this industry or hurt it. It depends on how they show it. I am a very much looking forward to watching it but I am a little worried.

05 Jan 2009 1:00 PM
2 time valley player of the year

indygo mountain is a phantom to be reckoned with, watch him bury the field  in the Lecomte

05 Jan 2009 5:58 PM
Greg J.

Make a note, Keep your eyes on both Nicanor & Rockland, I know you will say I am crazy, but just watch and see. I believe Nicanor's first race (maiden) should be by end of Jan. and I still think there is time for him to be in derby, We will see...

06 Jan 2009 11:23 AM