Forget a 'mousse', how about a teddy bear?

The Pamplemousse

How could you not enjoy this year's Sham Stakes (gr.III)! The Pamplemousse stole the show. He has definitely caught my attention with his talent, but he also did so with his face. The cameras during the race were far away so I never noticed his face or figure. Then today, passing my co-workers computer, there was a lovely desktop background of the horse. I did a double take, and could not believe how soft the Pamplemousse looked. The unique coloring, and the nice fade on his face...my first reaction made me think he was adorable in a teddy bear sense.

Thus, he has warmed my heart. Here's to the Pamplemousse. I think I'm ready for some grapefruit.

Photos by Benoit

CDI Safety Center

Churchill Downs Incorporated created a display for the public to interact with, and learn how horse racing currently handles safety issues. The experience will demonstrate policies, procedures for animals and humans alike. Experience audio, video and tangible materials near gate 17.

This note is to show my appreciation towards CDI in being proactive. The more experiential and tangible you make education, the greater the lasting impact and interest drawn will be. I know my generation appreciates the visuals and hands on environment. Racing safety has needed to be explained better to the general fan, and this is a great way to do so. This display will be very helpful to learn what has improved in a year and what safety really means in the racing world, especially following last years Derby.

Photos by Churchill Downs/Reed Palmer Photography

Wanda

I like his ears going every which way!

02 Mar 2009 2:52 PM
aspradling

good to hear from you these past few posts Wanda! I hope your computer and weather are holding up well.

02 Mar 2009 2:57 PM
horsenut23

He is a cutie! A nice soft eye and friendly face, but he is a master in disguise when he's racing, especially this past weekend!He did look like he was out for a romp!

02 Mar 2009 3:03 PM
Wanda

No worries got a new operating system works like a charm. Can't help the weather when I chose to live in the Great White North.

How are you feeling Bud? Don't work to hard or you'll be sick again.

(yes mother) lol.

02 Mar 2009 3:21 PM
BittelRoad

I think the Pamplemousse is adorable! I love grays.  I was glad to see him win so impressively although I wanted Take the Points to win.

02 Mar 2009 3:25 PM
Tiznowbaby

He does not have a lovely head in profile, but he does seem quite endearing, doesn't he?

02 Mar 2009 3:41 PM
Driftin Sage

I like the friendly eyes, too... and that ear is listening for instructions and whatever might be behind him.  Smart horse.

02 Mar 2009 5:48 PM
txhorsefan

He does have a soft face and I've been enamored of his color for a while because it seems to change with the different lighting.  I wouldn't call him a gray, but he is definitely roaning to such an extent, he's almost a rose gray.  Pretty boy.  Hope he likes the dirt.

02 Mar 2009 6:21 PM
nonnonheinous

I love his "eye"--he has a soft, honest, willing look to him. He seems like an "old soul" horse. And he looks happy to be out there.

My own horse is grey, so I have a soft spot for them.

02 Mar 2009 7:47 PM
Kate

Maybe he is a bit of an ugly duckling in some ways. Gotta say though... he has the running part down pat. It's good to see a strong front runner. And you can't beat that name! It's the only word I remember from my high school french days. I've used it in jokes for years! Now it's the name of an awesome colt. I like how life syncs up sometimes! I hope he continues to outrun his pedigree!

03 Mar 2009 2:27 AM
ofelia

He's my Derby horse! I don't care if he ever wins! PamplePumkin!!!

03 Mar 2009 9:03 AM
Paintmare06

HA! I thought the EXACT same thing when I first same these pictures after the race! I really was not a big fan of The Pamplemousse, (I kinda hate how his name sounds, but I love what it means :),) but then I saw his little face and I went, "Oh! What a sweetheart!" So, now that I'm a fan, I think I'll still call him but his name, just...Grapefruit. Little, adorable Grapefruit!

03 Mar 2009 9:17 AM
old gray mare

Really like Pamplemousse. But why would anyone name a horse after french grapefruit?  Never thought I'd say it but Green Monkey is a better name.LOL

03 Mar 2009 9:48 AM
m palmer

He ran a nice race but I have seen these types of performances before. Old Fashioned's win in the Remsen was regarded as the best by a 2YO. I wonder how this performance compared to that of OF. I like chestnuts and find any shade of gray uninspiring. That said he does have a nice head. I watched as he returned to the winners enclosure and it appeared  he was under some stress. I hope all is well with him.

03 Mar 2009 11:23 AM
MLS

He is a very cool horse!

Can you find out his stable name?

Thanks.

03 Mar 2009 11:27 AM
Dreamer's Mom

We had a lovely gray colt that looked a lot like The Grapefruit-the ever changing color and the fading white face.  We called him the Techni-color Dream Coat horse!  There is just something about a gray that makes a girl fall in love!

03 Mar 2009 12:30 PM
Mr.Ruffian

He's a nice looking colt. I think his pedigree will be his downfall.  I think those " Kentucky Fried Chickens" he'll meet up with will keep him from the winners circle.  It's a shame, Solis may have to wait another year.

03 Mar 2009 1:31 PM
Splitsof12

The Pamplemousse is a freak! He has the right combination of size, speed, and class, to win not only the Kentucky Derby, but the Triple Crown. The Mousse doesn't like any horses in front of him and he can run splits of 12, all day long. His physique is awesome. He's big like his dad.  To me he's only going to get better and that's downright scary. What the hell I might as well say what I feel, "The Pamplemousse is going to win the Triple Crown." You heard it here first. The Mousse is loose.

03 Mar 2009 4:54 PM
Nicole E

I love the grays!  My first Derby (as a fan) was Silver Charm and I think he made me biased...

That said, not sold on this one (and not an OF fan).  worried about the distance and all the reports of him breathing so heavily in the winners circle...the performance, its self sure looked effortless. guess we'll have to wait and see.

I do love those ears, great pic.

04 Mar 2009 10:21 AM
Householder

Lots of muscles...both the horse and Solis.  Look at Solis' concentration.  What a master...and he is competing with Jockeys half is age.  Can't wait to see old re-runs of Snow Chief come derby time.

05 Mar 2009 1:52 AM
sheila

He sure is a cutie! Reminds me of High Echelon. Oops, showing my age.

'Sides that, how can you NOT like someone named for a fruit!?

I'm really starting to like this batch. Not a bad bunch at all!

06 Mar 2009 6:43 PM