Brains and Brawn

My boy Einstein has done it. Become richer, yes, but that isn't my point. He has become a horse of all surfaces by winning the March 7 Santa Anita Handicap (gr. I).

Photo: A. Duckworth
Caption: Einstein

He is a master on turf, a soldier on dirt (winning the grade II Clark Handicap and finishing second to Horse of the Year Curlin in the grade I Stephen Foster Handicap), and now adds synthetic surfaces to his growing resume of awesomeness.

I was cheering him the whole duration of his race, and man he just held that fourth/third position all the way around, then bolted and grinded out the end.

I am so proud of him and proud of Helen for preparing him for the various races. Einstein stole my heart three years ago and hasn't let go. I am just amazed after watching this race. Yet more evidence why we should let heroes race at older ages. What a joy to watch him.

Even though Einstein could have been retired to stud last year, they kept him in training, and racing is better for it. Several of my friends and I have been lucky enough to see him race at Churchill Downs and Keeneland, and it is a treat. He always tries, and with his distinctive near-black coat, he is hard to miss!

He now has almost $2.3 million in earnings and six graded stakes victories to his credit. Here’s hoping for a few more!

Photo: A. Duckworth
Caption: Einstein and Curlin

Einstein's victory in the Santa Anita Handicap

---

A shout out to Rags to Riches for foaling her first baby, and of course the proud dad; Giant's Causeway.
Read an article about it here.

---

This weeks And They're Off gives a special mention to Helen and Einstein.

[brightcove videoid="15400884001"]

DONNA

I also have been a long time fan of Einstein. I got to see him up close in the paddock at Arlington Park last August when he ran in the Arlington Million. What a beautiful horse he is indeed. Unfortunately he did not run too well in that race which was disappointing. I later read Helen said it was probably the heat and humidity which it certainly was that day so I could excuse him in that race. Since then he has gone on very well is the rest of him races and was stunning in the Cap.

Hopefully he will return for the Million again this year and I will be there to watch him.

11 Mar 2009 5:09 PM
Scott

Einstein is such a pro.  He has been one of my favorites to watch.  I hope that he comes back and wins the Classic.

11 Mar 2009 5:20 PM
da3hoss

Einstein is a real race horse of the best kind.

11 Mar 2009 5:37 PM
RachelSatterfield

I love this horse so much.  He captured my heart a few years ago as well.  I love to see him doing such amazing things.  I was a little heartbroken after watching him in the Arlington Million last year (goodness he looked good in the paddock).  That was some bum luck.  I have no doubt he would have done much better without that stumble.  I hope to see him at the Breeders Cup this fall.

11 Mar 2009 5:57 PM
Tiznowbaby

Yayyyy, Einstein. So much fun to watch a hard trier run.

11 Mar 2009 7:40 PM
ean ennis

saw him win at gulfstream a couple seasons back,courageous colt..

11 Mar 2009 8:19 PM
Phil McSween

When i was trying to handicap the SA Handicap...one thing kept coming back again and again with regard to Einstein:  Class.  Looking at his pp's, the thing that jumped out clearly was that this was a warrior who had competed strictly in Grade 1 or Grade 2 events in his last 10-12 races.   Not only that, but as you mention Adam...this wonderful son of Spend A Buck has won on grass, dirt and now synthetic.    Great ride by Julien Leparoux who seems to gel very well with the jet black win machine.   Needless to say i hammered him and in a rarity for myself, my wagering judgement was vindicated.  That is often the sweetest part of gambling...not the money won.   But more importantly, i too am now an Einstein fan for life.    Keep up the great career Big Guy !!!

11 Mar 2009 8:58 PM
Karen in Indiana

Hi Adam,

You're not the only one that thinks Einstein is one fantastic horse. He's smart, nice, beautiful and, man, can he run! It is great that's he's been allowed to run another year. If he had retired last year, no one would ever have known how truly versatile he is.

11 Mar 2009 9:54 PM
JP

I'm glad to see older horses still racing for glory. I think this is what the racing needs. Just like old time race for the passion and glory, not for the quick buck

11 Mar 2009 10:43 PM
Dona

Oh, I agree with what you said about him. I too fell in love with him after getting to know Helen Pitts and watching Einstein run on tvg. One of my great regrets is that I didn't get down to L.A. to watch him run here in California. When I heard they were coming, I knew he would love the poly track. I've seen him run on every surface and root for him like crazy too. He reminds me of the great ones long ago because of his versatility. Hope he comes back for the Breeders Cup or that I get to go back East and see him. Certainly worth it to me. Thanks for giving the big guy a spot light.

11 Mar 2009 11:40 PM
Blue Blue Sea

I love Einstein. I watched him in  turf race in person back in 2006 and just couldn't take my eyes off him. I became an even bigger fan when at one of the recent Sunrise at Old Hilltop events. Everyone was there to see the Preakness contenders, but I was thrilled to see this black beauty at the stable. Ms. Pitts and Einstein's owner were there with him. They actually let us come up, pet him and even feed a few peppermints. Talk about a class act all the way around! Congrats to him on another fantastic win.

12 Mar 2009 7:22 AM
draynot

Here's another top notch horse who Curlin had to beat on his way to being a two time HOY. He just keeps on proving just how good he is no matter the surface. Kudos to Helen Pitts who sometimes flies under the radar but is as good a trainer as any.

12 Mar 2009 7:38 AM
El

You aren't the only one who was hoarse after Einstein's victory.  You couldn't help but be so proud of him and Helen.  Nice to see a female trainer enjoy such a big win.  Way to go Helen!

It's been a long year waiting for Rags to give birth.  So glad it's a filly.  Hope that we will be able to follow her career.  With her mom and dad it should be a good one.  What about a baby from a Rags and Curlin breeding--that would be interesting.  Guess we'll have to see what she and "Henry" produce.

12 Mar 2009 7:51 AM
MRO

I also started enjoying watching Einstein run a few years ago. I love the coat color. Here's hoping for a safe, successful 2009

12 Mar 2009 8:27 AM
aspradling

You all are in chorus, and I agree, it is great to see Einstein and Helen do so well.

So many of you have good stories on how you first encountered Einstein, I enjoy reading those stories. Thanks for sharing them.

The first time I laid eyes on him was in a race with Kip Deville, and Cosmonaut. Most people were circling around Kip, but not me, I took one look at Einstein and was like, that is my bet. Then I noticed his name, and as a big name guy I was sold.

Phil: That is a great story, it is always fun when you brag on a horse you naturally love and advise others to trust you, and BAM the horse delivers =) I enjoyed your story.

12 Mar 2009 8:49 AM
da3hoss

I would love to see him get a Gr 1 on dirt now! Would he be the first to get Grade 1's on all three surfaces?

12 Mar 2009 9:22 AM
aspradling

da3hoss: I asked a coworker and did some research. I think Lava Man might have done that.

12 Mar 2009 10:11 AM
aspradling

He won the 2005 Hollywood Gold Cup Handicap (gr. I) on dirt for his first grade I win.

He won the 2006 Charles Whittingham Memorial Handicap (gr. IT) on turf.

He won  the 2007 Hollywood Gold Cup (gr. I) on Cushion Track.

12 Mar 2009 11:35 AM
emcsquared

I have always loved Einstein. He is one of the blackest thoroughbreds I have seen that is a major graded stakes winner. I have loved watching him race, however I want to see his future little black Einsteins tearing up the track. I can't help but think he is a jewel to the breeding industry since he is a total out-cross. It is rare to see a horse with so much class still racing at 7. <3 little black babes

12 Mar 2009 12:12 PM
GinnieJ

There's no doubt Einstein has many, many fans.  What's not to love about him, huh?

Just watched his latest race on YouTube ... again and again.  He's a treat for the eyes and the soul.

Congrats to all his good people.

12 Mar 2009 12:21 PM
Lady Ruffian

I was up close to Einstein this past weekend at Santa Anita. He's stunning and he has a wonderful presence about him. Going into the Big Cap my fiance and i bet all of our winnings from that day on him and he showed up! He's a pleasure to watch. Many many congrats to Einstein and his connections!

12 Mar 2009 1:29 PM
Wanda

Thanks for the pics of Einstein Adam.

Helen Pitts has done a super job on this horse,IMO she's underrated as a trainer never mind a underrated woman trainer!

12 Mar 2009 9:24 PM
Dianne

What color was actually given to Einstein on his registry papers?  In the pictures, he looks black, not bay or brown.  I see no mealy brown on his muzzle or flanks to say he's a brown.  I have a true black horse and the color is stunning.  I hope Rags' owners consider the proper racehorse crosses for her not just for sales.  Giant's Causeway just doesn't do it for me as a good cross for her--commercial maybe but not a good cross for her family.  Hope we get a few pictures soon!

15 Mar 2009 12:11 PM
aspradling

Dianne: Hi, he is registered as a Dark Bay. He is as dark as they get though, you are right about that. If you look real close under his legs on his waist or on his face, you can see traces of brown.

16 Mar 2009 8:17 AM
2 time valley player of the year

A superb racehorse and kudos to the trainer for having him ready.

16 Mar 2009 4:33 PM
Wanda

Adam my man what area of the horse do you mean by waist?

16 Mar 2009 8:18 PM
aspradling

Lets see, not great with the horse terms yet...under the hindquarter/flank/stifle area around the underline (under the thigh?)

17 Mar 2009 8:49 AM
Wanda

Don't sell yourself short mister you got it.lol. Hey the boss got a new job in LA (Lethbridge,Alta) so I'll get to see Larry everyday! Moving out of the big city in April. I'll be off the computer for a few days while we move, but keep 'em coming bro.

17 Mar 2009 10:14 AM