Mine That Bird, Flying Under the Radar

Should it really be a surprise that Mine That Bird won the Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (gr. I)?

Mine That Bird's Grandsire, Grindstone, won the 1996 Kentucky Derby. Mine That Bird raced in the Breeders' Cup Juvenile, and his connections mentioned some good points in their post Kentucky Derby press conference. The connections mentioned how they trained the horse to race in the Breeders' Cup because he fit the race, though it was a quick turn around from their recent acquisition of him.  Mine That Bird had a good start, but faded in the race, as Chip explained he was not as mature as he is today. The goal was to prep and race Mine That Bird solidly through the 2009 3-year-old season, and to aim for the Kentucky Derby.

On top of the Kentucky Derby win, Mine That Bird's sire, Birdstone, won the 2004 Belmont. This means Mine That Bird has the distance needed to successfully win the Belmont. The big factor to face Mine That Bird is Queen Alexandra. Will Rachel Alexandra be racing against the boys by Belmont? Will she meet Zenyatta in the Breeders' Cup Ladies Classic, or be asked to romp on the boys in the Breeders' Cup Classic?

A possible triple crown with the distance in Mine That Bird's blood? Tough to tell due to his latest running style of being a closer...the Preakness may not hold enough distance for him to finish strong. There will be new speed at the Preakness, and several horses from the Derby will be in their best form on non-slop track. Mine That Bird will try the shorter distance though.

A few extra notes to think about:
Mine That Bird is the first horse with odds at or above 50-1, paying $103.20 to win, since Donerail paid $184.90 in 1913.
Mine That Bird has an A++ pedigree, and was first bought as a yearling at Fasig-Tipton Kentucky 2007 sale for $9,500.
Mine That Bird was later purchased privately for $400,000 (with Taylor Made Sales Agent assisting in the transaction) primarily to race in his home base of New Mexico.
Mine That Bird has now won five of nine starts and earned $1,791,581.

Mine That Bird made his first five starts in Canada, winning three stakes, the Grey, Swynford, and Silver Deputy. He was purchased privately by his current owners for $400,000 and sent to Richard Mandella in California where he ran 12th in the Breeders’ Cup Juvenile (gr. I). He was the champion male juvenile in Canada where he was trained by David Cotey.

Do you think Mine That Bird could win each jewel of the Triple Crown?

Video Racing History of Mine That Bird:

Mine That Bird’s previous races at Woodbine are all on YouTube.

Aug. 4, 2008 Maiden claiming, Woodbine

Aug 23, 2008, Silver Deputy stakes, Woodbine

Sept. 14, 2008, Swynford S., Woodbine

Oct. 5, 2008, Grey S. (Can-III), Woodbine

Oct. 25th, 2008, Breeders' Cup Juvenile Dirt

May 2nd, 2009, Kentucky Derby Presented by Yum! Brands (Gr. I), Churchill Downs

---

Grindstone, 1996 Kentucky Derby

Birdstone, 2004 Belmont Stakes

crazy stardust

I think that we have a Triple Crown winner.   That is what I think.  :)

04 May 2009 12:36 PM
FSF

A couple of comments: First, re: Rachel...I was really disappointed to hear her owner's lame explanation that she- probably the best 3 year old right now- can't run against colts because the Triple Crown is intended to showcase future stallions. As others have (sarcastically?) pointed out elsewhere, does that mean that MTB shouldn't have been entered either? I definitely think she should be entered, as she should have been entered in the Derby. It just screams unsportsmanlike to me, and I'm tempted to say it sounds a little sexist too.

Second, I can't say that I know MTB well enough to know whether or not he could pull off the Triple Crown, but I do think he looked much more impressive winning than Giacomo did (which seems to be an oft-repeated comparison over the past two days), so I will certainly be rooting for him to continue to run well. My main question though is why so few trainers seemed to have the Preakness on their radar. Is this just sour grapes? Would they have been planning to skip the Preakness if their horses had run better on Derby Day? I know two weeks is a tight turnaround these days, but it is really disappointing to read that the Preakness seems to be coming up so light. It also seems somewhat counter-intuitive to me to hear so many trainers say they had always planned to skip the Preakness and train up to the Belmont- sure flies in the face of all the latest conventional wisdom that American owners aren't interested in running longer races. Do we really have that many mile and a half horses in this year's crop? Not that that's a bad thing- I'd love to see a return to racing for stamina, but I was just surprised.

04 May 2009 12:39 PM
Max

It always amazes me how you guys come up with all these interesting facts and useful information after the fact. Why didn't you tell us  all this wonderful knowledge about this horse prior to the race? Little late now! Just once I would like to see you so called experts go out on a limb and pick a longshot like this guy to hit the board. At least then I would have  respect for you.  Quit acting like you knew something about the horse after the race is over when all along you were writing about the same horses as everyone else that got them wrong. Oh, and by the way, I hit the 2005 exacta.

04 May 2009 12:51 PM
Lou in TX

I wish this "small" horse all the best and a safe race whenever he races. Did you notice he wore the pink #8 in the Derby?  Maybe Barbaro was there in spirit after all. I think his connections really showed a lot of class giving away his roses under Barbaro's statue. I hope they do well wherever they race. Go Mind That Bird!!! I'll be watching you.

04 May 2009 12:55 PM
Karen in Indiana

I don't know of any reason it would be less likely for him to win the TC than any other KD winner. He has the pedigree to go long for the Belmont. As for the Preakness, the trainer said he was made to go too early and he told Calvin Borel to hold him back and close later. Seems to me he's pretty agreeable to whatever is asked of him. He wasn't even on my radar before the Derby, but it would be great to see him win the TC! He's just a little horse doing a big job in no-nonsense fashion with connections who are down to earth. And it really shouldn't be a surprise that the horse is doing so well - he has the bloodlines, he has the 2 yr. old foundation, and maybe more importantly, he had the good fortune to have a jockey who knows the track.

04 May 2009 1:00 PM
Frank J.

Sure he "could" win the Triple Crown. I'm with the majority that thinks the Belmont would be more suited to his liking. The Preakness will be tough but it does not look like a full field this year. There's a possibility of Quality Road in the Belmont as well. If he wins the Preakness, watch out. I just think there will be 3 different winners this year.

04 May 2009 1:05 PM
mike williams

Mine that Bird certainly was worth considering, as his great grandfather Unbridled won the 1990 Kentucky Derby,his grandfather Grindstone won the 1996 Kentucky Derby, and his father Birdstone upset Smarty Jones in winning the classic 2004 Belmont Stakes.On the dam side his broodmare grandsire is Smart Strike, and his mother is the daughter of Little to Do, a stakes winner in Canada.

04 May 2009 1:06 PM
Flynne

I really don't give him a chance. Like Giacomo, I think he raced the biggest race of his life [albeit on the right day] and can't see him repeating a performance like that.

04 May 2009 1:07 PM
Timber

With the world in a turmoil right now let the little guy go for it! Hey what do they have to lose? We are talking a gelding here that has a pedigree to race. We might be looking at another John Henry.

04 May 2009 1:08 PM
Blue Blue Sea

I was ready to write this gelding off Saturday night, but the more I looked at him yesterday and today, I think he has a shot. The key is going to be the Preakness, not sure he'll get that one. If he does, I think he's got a legit shot a wearing the crown.

04 May 2009 1:18 PM
aspradling

FSF: It is a trend for Derby horses who come off slightly tired or possibly not great at finishing strong in the Preakness to have a layoff until Belmont. The same thing happened last year.  A few of the horses will move on to Preakness though and hopefully horses who dropped off will come race.

Max: My friend I think you missed the point. My blog isn't about handicapping and I am by no means a good handicapper. This blog post is a reflection of why he should not have been over looked. I am glad you hit the 2005 exacta though.

Karen: Right on.

Frank: I think most likely each jewel will have a different winner as well.

mike and Flynne: Great points, it could have been a peek, but I am thinking since he has not won but a few stakes in the US, he still has more in him.

04 May 2009 1:23 PM
SSC

Adam - its looking now like perhaps 10 -12 horses in the Preakness. I doubt MTB is the M/L favorite and also don't think any of the Derby horses coming back in 2 weeks will be the winner. I am looking at some who for whatever reason stayed out of the Derby mess - Big Drama or Mr. Fantasy will both be on the board. MTB will be an after thought come May 17th.

04 May 2009 1:35 PM
crazy stardust FOB

aspradling

Think about this.  Seabuisit, Seattle Slew.  OK these horses were bashed made fun of.  I think that what happened in the Derby is a really good thing.  I think that it will put a lot of arrogent people in their place, teach them that EVERY horse has a chance in any race.  I also believe that this will improve the racing industry.  How can it not?  There were a lot of angry people.  There were a lot of happy people.  I was one of them. I think the racing industry needs a wake up call. :)

04 May 2009 1:42 PM
aspradling

SSC: yeah, I think you are right about the horses that didn't race in the Derby coming and showing up strong. However, there are a few Derby contenders, if they go to Preakness, who will be at the top of my list. I still think POTN has a race to win in the Triple Crown.

stardust: I think there are a lot of happy and angry people, but all in all, the anger will subside and people will hopefully look back on this weekend as phenomenal. I mean Rachel, Einstein, Mine That Bird...all had amazing races. The Woodford Reserve came down to an intense stretch duel that had me on edge...so freaking exciting and to see the moves Rachel and MTB made...I think the industry was well reminded of many things. =)

04 May 2009 1:44 PM
jeanetta

What's funny to me is that he was 50-1. I really liked this horse. The only "bad" race he ran was at Santa Anita, which didn't tell me he sucks, it told me he didn't like the track! You know, kind of like how Curlin ran his worst race there, among other good horses. On top of that, like mike williams said, he has AMAZING bloodlines! He had the bloodlines to win the Derby. I like many other people put more money on the favorite (purely for sentimental reasons...after hearing how dead he was after his 5 furlong workout I thought to myself there was no WAY he could go 1 1/4 miles (at least not at this time), but I was hoping and praying Larry Jones would get to the winner's circle after the heartbreaking year he had.

But I wish I had more than $2 to win on him. God...imagine if I had put $10 to win and place on him like I usually do with my Derby picks...So yeah...now whenever I hear about the "huge upset" and how much the payout was, and how long his odds were...it really frustrates me. Sigh. Well I've learned my lesson with the Derby...Go with facts, not with your heart. lol

04 May 2009 1:48 PM
Runfast159

I don't think you can look at his pedigree and say "well no wonder he won."  The Derby is always littered with well bred horses.  What about Summer Bird, also a Birdstone offspring so boasts the same list of classic winners, but actually has a better pedigree on the bottom in my opinion.  Personally, I think Mine That Bird ran the best race of his life and we may never hear much from him again.  He did win impressively, but I was equally unimpressed with everyone elses performance.  The Preakness looks like a light field to me.  Who knows what will happen.  I'd like to see Friesian Fire there, but looks like he isn't in.  When all is said and done though, the best 3 year old in the land is Rachel Alexandra and I'm looking more forward to her next race than I am to the Preakness!

04 May 2009 2:01 PM
steve s

ONE thing is very clear,potn cannot go the distance.

04 May 2009 2:04 PM
Vic

Let's face it no one really had this horse to win.  I am one of the few to admit I really thought he had no chance.  Still, hes a loveable gelding with a lot of class.  I love his sire and hope he goes on to win all the races he needs to. Good luck Mine That Bird.

04 May 2009 2:16 PM
Mokey

I think Rachel Alexandra is one of the best filly's we've seen in a LONG time. I was sad that she didn't run in the derby - But I do hope she runs up here at Saratoga.  I do think it would be better if she faced the boys "later' when she is more "mature". To much heart for her to be another Ruffian. As for Mind That Bird, I don't think he'll be under the radar again, and just not thinking he's a Great horse yet.

04 May 2009 2:17 PM
Beth

Boy, Calvin Borel sure had a good weekend! That guy can ride, and it is great to see him win tth bid big races.

Calvin is so grateful, so happy,  and he pats and hugs his mounts and gives them lots of credit and praise. He is a sweetheart.

I really hope I am wrong because racing so badly needs a new Triple Crown WInner, but I think he Mine That Bird will not do so well in the Preakness.

With his running style and his pedigree, I think he can win or at least place in the Belmont.

Best of luck to this hard-working gutsy little gelding and his handlers. That was a class move, putting the Derby Rose Wreath on Barbaro's statue and then taking the roses and giving them out to the Fans. Real nice touch!

04 May 2009 2:20 PM
TexSpect

I bet Mine That Bird in the Breeders Cup At SA. I liked his form and was a Chantal Sutherland fan. I was hoping she would get a Breeders Cup victory. After the clunker of a race and the lost of Chantal as the Jock, this horse fell off my radar. I have been in the racing game since the 60's and surely there is always something to be gained from hindsight. It may sound silly, but when there is the "only" in a race, it seemes to jump up and bite you. The only speed, The only closer, and this case the only gelding. One thing is for sure, now he is the "only" horse with the chance for the Triple Crown. Incidentially, I had the 16-2 box, the bettor's lament.

04 May 2009 2:28 PM
mz

I didn't have MTB anywhere despite the fact that he was the 2YO Cdn Champ (obviously, I am from north of YOUR border.

Despite this, he reminds me a little of Kelso.  Remember Kelso?

For all of you saying he won't do anything ever again, wanna bet?

04 May 2009 2:34 PM
Ranagulzion

ASPRADLING:  I agree, the weekend was indeed phenomenal.  Both the Derby and Oaks starring the inimmitable and ebullient Calvin Borel were great spectacles.  A lot of positives for the industry and the promise of a terrific year of racing with the likes of Rachel Alexandra, Big Drama, Quality Road, Mr Fantasy, I Want Revenge, Friesan Fire, Dunkirk, Pioneerof The Nile and now Mine That Bird.  We all wish for a speedy recovery for injured horses and wishing also that Midshipman and Vineyard Haven will join the fray by the time Saratoga comes around.

A few very good clashes are going to be worth travelling miles to see beginning with the Preakness in Baltimore (Big Drama, Mr Fantasy, MTB, TOFP), not to mention Rachel Alexandra versus Zenyatta

04 May 2009 2:50 PM
Brian A.

I agree, (with some previous comments) Rachel Alexandra's connections gave a lame and ridiculous excuse for not running her in the Triple Crown races.  We all know she'd be the overwhelming choice to win.  At least they left the door open to racing against the boys sometime after the triple.

The more I think about Mine That Bird's Derby win, the more it seems possible he could have a legit shot at the Triple Crown.  If the Preakness comes up dry though and Pioneer Of The Nile runs I'd still bet on him to win.

04 May 2009 2:50 PM
Beaner

Someone said Unbridled is in Mine that Birds pedigree? I was thinking about Unbridled and Patient Pat Day when watching the reply of Mine that Bird's win. Sure I think the track condition was a factor - but what a great ride. I hope he wins the Triple Crown...first since I want to see a winner, second because I would LOVE to see the crown go to newer or smaller trainers and owners who aren't so used to winning graded stakes weekly and having hundreds of top quality horses each year to pick from. Oh lord...who gelded this horse?!?!

04 May 2009 2:56 PM
MikeM

Not to take anything away from Calvin Borel,I think he is a very good rider, but to get through that hole you must have the horse to get you there. He wouldn't even of tried going through if he didn't think he had a game horse underneath him. Credit to the horse and Calvin for showing him the way.

04 May 2009 2:58 PM
Denise

I would love to see Mine That Bird sweep the Triple Crown. I just love to watch Calvin Borel.  He just loves his horses and that is so heartwarming to see!!

04 May 2009 3:04 PM
A Catt

I agree with FSF and Brian A about the lame excuses for Rachel Alexandra. Why state that stallions should run with stallion and mares with mares if you plan on racing her with boys later.

I especially don't like how the trainer stated that the Derby showcases future stallions. Many people watch the Derby to bet or just watch some amazing horses. Personally, I am not looking at their future breeding ability. The Derby is about racing! not breeding! (MTB was a gelding anyway)

I wish she'd have raced in the derby! I think she would have had a chance!

04 May 2009 3:20 PM
mz

OK, I hit "enter" too fast.

I meant to add that maybe he won't do anything in the Preakness -- his trainer said as much --  but look out in the Belmont.  And then keep looking out over the next few years.  He could end up being the next hard hitting gelding that we will all be celebrating for the next few years ...and what's better: the great horse for the year who's retired before he carries any real weight and runs against EVERYTHING or the horse we can root for more beyond his 3YO season.

p.s.  RA's connections should widen their horizons.  Look at the Europeans.  They're never afraid to run their fillies and mares against colts.  A great horse is a great horse whatever the sex.

04 May 2009 3:23 PM
RachelSatterfield

If he can win the Crown...we'll see.  The Preakness will be the challenge.  Classy move by his connections with the roses on Sunday.  I'll say one thing, if he wins the Preakness I will be cheering for him 100% on Belmont day, which is MUCH more than I can say for my attitude towards Big Brown before going into his TC attempt.

Friday night my mom called me so we could argue out our bets for the Derby.  She wanted to bet on Mine that Bird because she thinks Calvin is brilliant.  I told her that was a foolish bet because the horse wasn't classy enough.  I convinced her we should go with Summer Bird instead for our longshot.  I'm now kicking myself for being such a snob and overlooking Mine that Bird.  Summer Bird really did look like the better of the two (he impressed me with his race anyways).  Our other bet, Papa Clem, made a nice little showing of himself also.  Pioneer shocked me.  I really did think he was just another over-hyped California clunker (C. John and Brother Derick), but he ran a strong race.

Crazy Derby season is over.  So many injuries and let downs.  I'm glad it's over.  The weekend was a thrill and I'll never forget that performance by Rachel.  She gave me chills.

04 May 2009 3:32 PM
FSF

Adam- thanks for your reply, and I definitely do understand that there is something of a trend of Derby horses not coming back in the Preakness. Maybe this feeling wouldn't be backed up by actually going back and reviewing the entrants of both races, but it just seems to me that in the past couple of years, fewer and fewer "hot" Derby horses show up in the Preakness. It seems like 10, 20 years ago, this wasn't the case. Does anyone with a better memory than me have a sense of how many horses who were, say, under 10-1 in the Derby in the past 10-20 years have continued on to the Preakness, vs. how many have in the past 5 years or so?

04 May 2009 3:35 PM
steve s

rachel alexander would have no chance in preakness. IN a match race with big drama she could not keep up,remember foolish pleasure.this aint JAPAN,

04 May 2009 3:38 PM
KMAUER

I'd have to agree with Max when he says that the handicappers act like know it alls after the fact when they messed up just as much as everyone else did I tink they should tell the betting public the truth about every horse and give every horse the same amount of respect because for some reason or another every horse in that race deserved a chance,If I had been paying attention to who was riding him (Calvin Borel) I would have had a winner this year. As it is maybe this upset will teach us all a great lesson never count out the underdog I certainly won't!

04 May 2009 3:48 PM
mburry

I think his connections thought they had to run in the Preakness but I think his style is more suited to the Belmont. He could probably win over the ones he faced in the derby but there may be Mr. Fantasy and Big Drama!! He will have a time and if he wins it than you can think Triple Crown.

04 May 2009 3:50 PM
Whatever

I guess they're going to have Tom Durkin call the Preakness too.  I hope he gets himself a strong eyeglass prescription before he does,  because he needs one.

04 May 2009 4:08 PM
jeanetta

Ooops. Let me clarify that...I only put $2 on Mine That Bird, not on Friesan Fire! I put a LITTLE more on Friesan Fire. And what I meant was I wish I had put more on Mine That Bird, because...well yeah $103 is cool, but $515 would have been cooler. =)

04 May 2009 4:17 PM
s lee

I love a good upset.  I love when a little blue blooded horse from Kentucky's best goes elsewhere to race after a yearling sale, gets lost in the shuffle, then comes back to glory on Derby Day.  Ah, horse racing!

I doubt Mine That Bird can win the Triple Crown, but that's easy to say - the odds are stacked against him.  But with Birdstone, Grindstone, Unbridled, Gruastark, Nashua, Bold Ruler and Northern Dancer in his pedigree, I guess anything is possible.  And that's why we run the races, eh?

It's interesting that the description of the Borderland Derby shows MTB being caught from behind in the stretch and then battling back, before losing to Scorewithcater (another gelding).

Horse racing needed a shot in the arm, and maybe with Rachel Alexandra, Einstein and Mine That Bird, we can reap the benefits of their accomplishments.

I'm glad they're going to Pimlico, and I, too, liked the gesture of giving away the roses from the winner's blanket.

It's going to be a fun spring!

04 May 2009 4:25 PM
Sean

Whats amazing is that this horse is bred to win the Belmont. So if the Preakness comes back light...all the real competition will be coming back to face the horse in what is arguably the race he has the best chance of win. Heck, even the trainer said the goal as the Belmont as along.

Note to horsemen: Don't let Mine That Bird steal the Preakness.

Personally, as someone who goes to Belmont every year, I'll be rooting for Mine That Bird in two weeks even if he has little to no shot again. Can you even imagine the press leading up to the Belmont for that Triple Crown try??

04 May 2009 4:27 PM
CAM

I'm glad Mine That Bird won the Derby, even though I had no idea who he was.  All I knew was that he had failed to win in 2 starts at Sunland Park.  I had no idea that he was the champion 2YO male in Canada off of 3 stakes wins.  In fact, hardly anyone watching the NBC live coverage had any idea about anything other than big hats.  Perhaps this should be a sign to the MEDIA that they need to give thorough and fair coverage to all the starters in the Derby instead of gushing over 3 or 4 well-bred contenders.  Perhaps the major racing publications could wrest their focus away from the $3.7 million auction purchases long enough to tell us humble racing fans all about each contender in the race.

04 May 2009 5:39 PM
Wowhorse

Am I the only one who can't get over Mine That Bird's name? Anybody have a clue as to the name's real meaning? Everything I can think of is durogatory.

I can't see him winning the Triple Crown. I had a hunch at the beginning of the year each jewel would be won by a different horse. If he wins the Triple Crown, I will gladly eat crow.

04 May 2009 6:49 PM
Wanda

Sorry I don't get all the comments about why RA didn't run in the Derby. It's their horse and their decision where and when to run her. Maybe she'll hook the boys down the road but doesn't Grade One's look pretty good on a resume for a future broodmare? After all black type is the name of the game.

04 May 2009 7:40 PM
Saint9

Bird had an advantage nobody mentioned: altitude. He came from New Mexico, like CanoneroII came from higher altitude in Venezuela.

I live in Albuquerque and at sea level I can leave younger hikers in the dust. I kicked myself all around the block for not betting the Bird.

A cyber-toast to him and Borel! May they hold on in the Preakness, then the Belmont will be easier.

04 May 2009 9:08 PM
Luvthehorses

Good luck to Mine That Bird and I hope you have a safe trip wherever you run next.

04 May 2009 9:13 PM
Audra

I think Mine That Bird has as good a chance as any other Kentucky Derby winner to win the Triple Crown.  I think the connections will prep him right and I know that his jockey will give him every opportunity to win the Preakness and the Belmont, so I will be supporting him and hoping for a Triple Crown.  Racing really needs one and I would love to see the little guy with the Louisiana Cajun on his back be the one to provide it.

BTW--I love Rachel Alexandra, but her connections made their choice and they will have to live with it.

04 May 2009 9:57 PM
Paula Higgins

I will be rooting for this horse to win the next two races. Not because of his connections, who so far could use a 2 week Charm School course, but because of the horse and Calvin. It's all about the horse for me and in this case Calvin too. Gutsy little horse and gutsy, sweetheart of a rider.

04 May 2009 9:59 PM
crazy stardust

Denise

IF Mine That Bird and Calvin win the Triple Crown, I can only imagine the love and heartwarming feelings all around the world for those two.  Calvin rocks and if he hits the TC, OMG that will be a picture perfect moment for sure.  Never know.  :)

04 May 2009 10:24 PM
Gary

Can't say I was disappointed at all. It was a good race and will be well remembered. Kind of reminded me of Sea Hero's dramatic move in 93. I will be rooting for MTB. I had to figure with all the scratches and injuries such as Quality Road and IWR...etc that we might not know who the best was anyway. Maybe its time for an out of nowhere run for the triple crown.

04 May 2009 10:36 PM
gammyp6

It is premature to say he won't or can't win the Preakness. I do my own handicapping and I was taught by the best-my Dad. We put our heads together for the Derby. I said "Pop, who is it gonna be?" Without blinking an eye he said "Mine That Bird". Cha-Ching!!

05 May 2009 12:53 AM
aspradling

Wowhorse: Mine That Bird's name stems from combining his Sire, Birdstone, and Dam, Mining My Own, names.

Birdstone + Mining My Own = Mine That Bird

05 May 2009 8:39 AM
LACS70

A few thoughts...

Rachel Alexandra, hands down, is the best 3-year old in the country. Her connections did a diservice to Horse Racing by not allowing her to run against the colts in the Derby, thus allowing her to live up to her potential. What trainer is going to want to put their filly up agianst her now and have her heart broken?

Secondly, KD 135 will be remembered for the best suprise finish since 1971. With this year being the 90th anniversary of Sir Barton's triple crown win, I would love to see this gelding make history. Why not!

05 May 2009 9:14 AM
crazy stardust

aspradling

Kinda makes you wish you would have Minded that Bird Saturday aye? LOL  :)  I'll be Minding that Bird from now on.  :)

05 May 2009 12:42 PM
crazy stardust

LACS70

I wonder if RA will race Zenyatta.  ?????????  :)

05 May 2009 12:47 PM
crazy stardust

CAM

I could not agree with you more. EVERY horse needs to be noticed.  Maybe this was a wake up call for the media.  OR maybe it was Barbaro saying "hey I am home finally and you guys are not giving ALL the horses a piece of the pie".  #8 pink silks?  Well I just agree with you.  :)  ALL horses are important,  small, big, earnings, etc.  They are all HORSES!

05 May 2009 12:59 PM
JCRobinson

I wonder if Zenyatta will leave Cal. again- doubt it. RA does have a Poly win, but how does that translate to Pro-Ride? I really wish that the BC was at Churchill this year.........

As for RA, her connections did what they felt was BEST FOR THE HORSE. Wouldn't it be nice if we could say that about others? If she had been beat up in the Derby, how many of you complaining that she wasn't in there would be complaining that she had run? (not to mention that if RA had been in the Derby, the Oaks would have basically been a NW of 1 other than)

05 May 2009 5:01 PM
Brad

It is hard to listen to the TV "Experts" during the big races sometimes. They can't look at MTB's form and see he didn't have a top jockey in any of his races, and look how tough he was at Woodbine. With Borel, look out. It wouldn't surprise me a bit if he wins the TC. His running style and size could play a huge role in it. Good Luck Mine That Bird... and Calvin

05 May 2009 6:51 PM
cuzman

As I reviewed all comments here, one big one was missed.Calvin Borel was the smart jock and could have won the race with any of the horses.He just blew by a lot of tired horses in the stretch.Can he win the Preakness? He won the Derby.

05 May 2009 8:25 PM
outsider

Jocks will plug the Bo-rail in Preakness.

The little horse that did will need luck to get through again.

06 May 2009 12:20 AM
TerriZ

Mine that bird will be shut down at the Belmont by Quality Road. Dunkirk still has not recovered from his showdown in the Florida Derby with QR.

QR has the ability to go the  distance from his dam Kobia's sire, Strawberry Road. And he has the speed from his sire Elusive Quality.

And God willing, his hooves will be healed by that time.

06 May 2009 1:42 AM
Terry

Lets see - I am thinking gelding, trained for a time by Richard Mandella, ummm... Tin Man.

Go Mine That Bird, win the triple crown!!!

With Barbaro as your guardian angel. :-)

06 May 2009 2:30 AM
Terry

Dear WOWHORSE  you will eat crow (bird) no pun intended?

06 May 2009 2:34 AM