Sheltowee

A co-worker and I were talking about a horse named Sheltowee recently. Sheltowee is a 2-year-old colt in training who is being followed via our Maiden Watch Blog.

There is a trail that stems through several states in this region, including Kentucky and the Smokie Mountains of Tennessee. It is named the Sheltowee trail. The Sheltowee is a part of the trails Daniel Boone used to navigate and pioneer this area of the United States.

I am a rock climber/backpacker and enjoy nature, thus I have spent a lot of time in the Red River Gorge and various other natural parks in Kentucky and surrounding states. If you live near the Appalachia region, you should have at least heard of the Daniel Boone National Forrest or in the least the Appalachian trail.

My co-worker is an archaeologist and was explaining that Sheltowee was the Shawnee name given to Daniel Boone while he was living with them. Boone was actually captured by the Shawnee, but later adopted into their tribe. Sheltowee translates as Big Turtle, which if you ever hike any of the trail, you see turtle icons on trees along the way, so you know you are traveling along the trail.

So why is this important? Guess who Sheltowee is related too. Does Apple Martini sound familiar? It should, if not, then maybe the name Giant Oak sounds familiar. Yep, a half-brother to both Apple Martini and Giant Oak. However, this horse is not a Giant's Causeway, he is a Saint Liam out of Crafty Oak, who is by Crafty Prospector.

So if we translate the name to English, the name of this horse is "Giant Turtle" or "Big Turtle" or as Daniel Boone knows it...Sheltowee.

Keep an eye out as he will soon start his racing career!
Sheltowee (Saint Liam - Crafty Oak) 2-year-old colt

Note: Saint Liam is one of the first crop sires being followed by our Maiden Watch blog.

Learn More:

As far as the Red River Gorge, enjoy this...from us climbing nerds:

Soldier Course

Nice article, and thanks. Refreshing, especially after reading all of the comments about vanning off Draynay from Jason Shandler's blog.

I went to college in Virginia. We had a walkway across campus, paved with old bricks stamped "Chilhowee". Could Chilhowee also be part of the Daniel Boone Trails, like Sheltowee? Given same area (Appalacia) and spelling similarity, I thought I'd ask. Have you read the recent new biography about Daniel Boone?

29 May 2009 11:50 AM
Greg J.

Adam,

Cool Story Adam, I will add Sheltowee (Giant/Big Turtle) to my Virtual Stable, Hope he doesn't run like his name, lol....

29 May 2009 12:28 PM
Soldier Course

Enjoyed your video, nice music too.

29 May 2009 12:38 PM
aspradling

Soldier: I looked up the town on Wikipedia and it is near the Cumberland gap, so I would think it very well could be involved with Daniel Boone. I did not find its translation though. Here are some more links and I am glad you enjoyed the video

en.wikipedia.org/.../Chilhowie,_Virginia

www.appalachiantrail.org/.../Home.htm

Greg J: I hope he is fun to watch and develops a good 2YO base for a descent 3YO campaign. We will see, but he was a good story.

29 May 2009 1:41 PM
aspradling

...oh yeah, I hope he dosn't run like his name as well =)

29 May 2009 1:42 PM
StardustyRose

Oh this is great. Big Turtle may just be exactly what the racing and non racing fans need.  That name and the Triple Crown.  Boy that would throw everyone off LOL!.  Great article and vid.  :)

29 May 2009 2:20 PM
Special K

If you read the Blood Horse this horse you speak of is mentioned in the staks synopsis for Giant Oaks win in the Arlington Classic.  The manager of Indian Creek farm where Apple Martini is kept owns a farm and its name is Sheltowee Farm in Paris.  Thats what the horse is named after.

29 May 2009 3:32 PM
muckraker

The history lesson and all this stuff is interesting, but for some of us there is only on Sheltowee -- the oustanding beer brewed by the Bluegrass Brewing Company of Louisville (beeradvocate.com/.../40028)

In fact, I highly recommend it after a day of climbing (not that I've ever done that) or lounging by the pool.

31 May 2009 6:54 PM
da3hoss

So nice to see a story on one of St Liam's few babies, let's hope for a bright future to carry on dad's name!

01 Jun 2009 6:26 AM
Soldier Course

The name stamped on the bricks from the pathway at my college was spelled "Chilhowie". My friend and fellow alum tells me that there was a large brick factory in Chihowie, Virginia, and that's where the bricks were made. I'm off to the bookstore today to check the new Daniel Boone biography index to see if there's mention of Chilhowee or Chilhowie.

I wish I had a stash of those Chilhowie bricks from campus. I could make a fortune on eBay from sales to alums. Funny, we took those bricks for granted 40 years ago.

03 Jun 2009 10:51 AM
Soldier Course

Funny thing about the Blog Stable. Here we've gone from a nice story about a promising 2YO to bricks and beer in 10 comments! Another blog has gone from handicapping the Belmont Stakes to dog breeds. I like this little blog and hope we can keep it going.

I saw St. Liam at Lane's End in May 2006, a few months before he lost his life so tragically in that freak accident at the farm.

05 Jun 2009 7:34 AM
Greg J.

Adam,

Sheltowee

Your Comment: Sheltowee(Saint Liam - Crafty Oak), 2-year-old colt(Adam's Blog, 05/29/09)

Date: June 4, 2009

Track: ARLINGTON PARK

Distance: Three Furlongs

Time: 39:00 Breezing

Track Condition: Fast

Surface: All Weather Track

Rank: 22/26

05 Jun 2009 11:57 AM
Greg J.

Adam,

Two timed works in a week, Umm, could be soon before he races?,

Sheltowee

Date: June 12, 2009

Track: ARLINGTON PARK

Distance: Four Furlongs

Time: 50:40 Breezing

Track Condition: Fast

Surface: All Weather Track

Rank: 38/47

12 Jun 2009 12:52 PM
aspradling

Greg J.: Check this out, DRF has a workout search...here is the link nto Sheltowee

www.drf.com/workoutsForHorseAction.do

12 Jun 2009 3:54 PM
Greg J.

Adam,

Another work for "Sheltowee", Getting Better!:

06/19/2009  AP   4F  :48.40

And, How about that "Nicanor"!!!

On to the Virginia Derby on July 18th at Colonial Downs!, Now that is a step up, but (IMO) he will be ready, Already got my plane tickets!

19 Jun 2009 12:01 PM
Soldier Course

Saw on Twitter - Arlington Park has taken note of this blog. Sheltowee Farm and Three Chimneys in a cooperative venture.

05 Aug 2009 9:05 PM
gberet83

I live in Pulaski County in Kentucky, which is the Lake Cumberland region. My friend's and I often go, usually about 5 or 6 times a year, and camp and hike at Red River Gorge which is Powell, Menifee, and Wolf Countie's all right there together. I love Chimney Rock at the gorge. It's a beautiful, tranquil place. We always end our trip on the last night by going out of the gorge down to the "Silver Dollar Saloon"  at the bottom of the hill. Last time we were there, it was 4th of July weekend and they were having a big pig roast and live band. There's some "suspect pictures" of my buddies and I on their wall.

30 Oct 2009 5:26 PM