/Select

Video games are a pretty big part of our culture these days. Many video gamers converse on the web, and recently a trend has arisen through these discussions to type certain phrases and actions as a "command code." Command codes are typically entered into the developers console while playing a video game. The command code in the developer's console typically to begin with a backslash "/" and then followed with the command, or a word to start a command, is typed. If you ever have used DOS or a programming language of any kind, you can probably relate.

Most of you are probably just thinking I am a big geek, and in many ways you are correct. =)

So what is my point?

I have been going out to video shoots for the last month for a conformation DVD that Eclipse Press is going to release in the fall. Stableboy and I run around with great conformation and equine composition experts such as Buzz Chase.

Most recently we went out to the second day of the Fasig-Tipton Select Sale. So by my saying /Select in geek terms, essentially I am encompassing several ideas into one geeky term. Ideas like it is in fact, the Select sale, the horses were beautiful and you can see why they were select. I would definitely select a few of them, most likely one of the grays. The sale atmosphere was still good, inspite of the economic climate. The day was warm with a cool breeze, mostly sunny and pure blue skies, dabbles of clouds. If I had to select a sale day to shoot video, this would be a perfect day to select.

With the morning being pristine and sunny, the grey coats of horses Buzz Chase examined, glistened. I was excited to see my buddy Aragorn had some representation present at the sale. Anyway, through these videos, I have grown even more knowledge in what horsemen/women, pinhookers, owners, et al, are looking for in horses and conformation. My co-workers Leigha Organa and Marta had taught me quite a bit in the previous few years, but now I have an even more indepth understanding.

The sale seems to be what people expected and if you have followed our video interviews, it is a testament that those involved in this part of the industry know what they are talking about.

I encourage you to go down and watch the sales near your area and observe the interactions, it is quite interesting, especially if you enjoy people watching (or equine watching).  Especially on the select days for the cream of the crop. /Select

da3hoss

Anytime there is buying of yearlings for 1/4 to 1/2 million $$$ in an area where all 120 counties are suffering huge unemployment....

24 Jul 2009 11:50 AM
aspradling

Yeah, dont get me wrong, I love going to the normal auctions, especially being close to Keeneland. I love watching works for the 2YO in training sales...seeing how the first crop sires are doing with their first kids able to race.

24 Jul 2009 12:11 PM
Shawn P

Yes, but don't forget about those who bought some a LOT cheaper than that.

The same people from THIS country who PAY taxes, have companies and employees or are part of a group and just regular guys.

You think Sheikh Mo or Coolmore or any of the rest of those buying those half million $ horses are going to give any of that money away? Most of them already employ large #'s of people.

What would you do, allow only homebreds and back yard horses?

24 Jul 2009 1:25 PM
Wanda

You are not a geek buddy but man am I jealous of you hanging out with the big boys. Best way to learn is from the experts.

24 Jul 2009 6:33 PM
Karen in Indiana

Chip Woolley bought a colt, I wonder if that was his present to himself after the TC season that he had? I hope he does well, this is a guy who is good for the sport.

25 Jul 2009 8:48 PM
aspradling

Wanda: Thanks! It isn't an insult to me, but nice to know someone thinks I'm somewhat cool, hehe.

Karen: I didn't see that, what was the pedigree? I'll see if I can find any other info on it. He deserves a nice horse after the long journey to get here. I agree, he is good for the sport.

27 Jul 2009 9:27 AM
Karen in Indiana

It's a Strong Hope - Dot C C colt.

Not 'fashionable' bloodlines, but looks pretty interesting. I think it has a good chance of being a solid runner.

27 Jul 2009 12:11 PM
Whatever

There's nothing wrong with home-breds.  That's how it used to be in the days of triple crown winners.  You bred the horses you raced and bloodlines were kept in the family.  Too bad it didn't stay that way.  I think most of the 11 triple crown winners were home-breds, most of them. Secretariat definitely was, so was Affirmed, Citation, Assault, Whirlaway and I believe Omaha and Gallant Fox were home-bred by their owners,  don't know about Sir Barton,  but Seattle Slew was the only triple crown winner bought at an auction.  That should tell everyone something. It's no coincidence that there hasn't been a triple crown winner in 31 years.  There's a specific reason for that;  it's called a diluted gene pool.

27 Jul 2009 8:16 PM
Abbie Knowles

Sheikh Mohammed and his brothers give Millions of £'s and $'s to Charities!!!!!!!!!!

My favourite promo video is of Cigar, Rhythm, hennessey and Spectrum!

Any news on when the Secretariat and Takeover Target Movies are due to be released Adam.

Hope you and all at the Bloodhorse are well!

God Bless

Take care

Abbie

28 Jul 2009 5:00 PM
Abbie Knowles

I like Chip Woolley too!

Have you any idea why PYRO was fighting with John Valesquez all the time Adam?  He would have won but for that!  It looked horrid and John Valesquez is normally such a good rider!

God Bless

Best wishes to all at the BH

Abbie

29 Jul 2009 9:32 PM
Whatever

You're right,  you are a geek.  Obviously a geek who knows people in the business that helped him get a great job.  Must be nice to know nothing about horse racing but land a job in that industry.  It's nice to have friends in high places,  its better than any college degree. If you need to bring someone with you because you can not determine, on your own, if a horse is perfectly conformed or not,  then you're in the wrong business. Must be nice to have things handed to you...

04 Aug 2009 3:46 PM
Abbie Knowles

Hi Adam!

You remind me of my old friend Tony Elves (Newmarket correspondent, The Racing Post!) from my days at Timeform.  He cheered everyone up too!

Think that David Short who writes on BH profile page is the dratted DRAYNAY!

He will HATE me now!  Heigh ho!

Not that I like him.  How dare he be so insulting about Mine that Bird, Chip Woolley and the team!

Now I really am going to watch Hotel for Dogs.  My blood pressure is too high but not as bad as it has been.  It is just frustrating being confined to barracks!

God Bless

kindest regards to you and your co worker

Abbie

I have my dog back now!

04 Aug 2009 9:24 PM
aspradling

whatever: Read the last line...

cs.bloodhorse.com/.../about.aspx