Turkey Duck Chicken

Turducken had a debut 2-year-old race on Wednesday.
Watch the Replay

Turducken (Maria's Mon - Cool Chicken (Tabasco Cat - Chilly Chick))

---

Piratesonthelake won!!!
Congradulations to the winner of the West Virginia Legislature Chairman's Cup Stakes!

Piratesonthelake is now at 6-1-3-0 for the year. Last year was a rough year at 5-0-1-0, but his lifetime is a nice 25-7-7-3, which is over 50% and I think that is good.
Watch the Replay

---

I thought a recent Randy Moss' tweet was interesting to post. I think a lot of opinions could be given on the recent comparisons RA is receiving. :

Rachel Alexandra got 116 Beyer in Haskell after 3w trip both turns. She's best female of modern era & perhaps all time including Ruffian.
twitter.com/randy_moss_TV

---

A quick apology to my regular readers, I had some crazy video projects I was working on, so I missed a blog last week. I hope this blog proves intersting!

How is everyone doing with the summer task? It is almost time to wrap that up!

nonnonheinous

Turducken? Man, that's almost as bad as "Shrimp Dancer" over on the Maiden Watch blog. It's a good thing the horses don't know how ridiculous some of their names really are...

Although, The Pamplemousse is still near and dear to my heart!

06 Aug 2009 5:37 PM
susan

NOBODY IS BETTER THAN RUFFIAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

06 Aug 2009 8:34 PM
Soldier Course

I met Paula Deen 11 years ago, before her enormous popularity. There was a local book signing event for her when her first cookbook was released. Believe it or not, I was the only customer at the table, and we had a nice chat.

She shared a very funny story about getting the bank loan to open her restaurant in Savannah, The Lady & Sons. She said she had to borrow parking meter money from the loan officer at the bank, but got the loan anyway!

The rest is history, and I'm glad this charming lady has realized all of her dreams, and more. She's a real Southern Belle, stuffin' that turducken with all her rings on!

07 Aug 2009 8:51 AM
aspradling

nonnonheinous: I too enjoyed learning of shrimp dancer, i like sushi, but the imagery of shrimp dancing is distracting =)

soldier course: that is awesome you got to meet her. i love that she uses real butter.

07 Aug 2009 9:09 AM
Soldier Course

What's your favorite name given to a Thoroughbred race horse?

Mine are:

Bubbling Over

Wild Again

Casual Lies

If I could name a race horse, the name would be: Capercaillie (Gaelic, "horse of the woods")

07 Aug 2009 11:23 AM
eliz

LOL...Makes me hungry and ready for "Turkey Day"....Errr let me rephrase that, "Turducken Day"...LOL!

Either way a winner :)

PS: love the video, rock on!

07 Aug 2009 8:29 PM
Soldier Course

Re Randy Moss comment about Rachel Alexandra and Ruffian:

COMPARISONS are OK for now, but CONCLUSIONS are way too premature.

08 Aug 2009 11:16 AM
barb

Soldier Course...In high school french my 2 favorite words were quelquefois(sometimes) and pamplemousse(grapefruit) so I jumped on board as soon as I heard The Pamplemousse's name and it's one of my faves. Beyond that, it turns into a harder game than I thought,lol. I always liked Barbaro (of course my name is BarbarA). There is a quarter horse named Oliver Klozov(say it out loud), I think that is pretty funny. Alysheba was a beautiful name. Magnificence was a very well named horse, she is such a beauty!

08 Aug 2009 2:47 PM
ABZ

Great Ducken Blog!!!

08 Aug 2009 7:29 PM
Abbie Knowles

My favourite names are those given to my favourite horses :

SEATTLE SLEW
SEATTLE SONG
L'EMIGRANT
THE MINSTREL
NIJINSKY II
NORTHERN DANCER
TIZNOW
GIANTS CAUSEWAY (THE GIANT!)
GALILEO
MAN O WAR
PHAR LAP
RAISE A NATIVE
BOLD REASON
BOLD REASONING
HOIST THE FLAG
FOREGO (I called For EGO)
AFFIRMED
ALYDAR
BARBARO
NICANOR
LENTENOR
SPECTACULAR BID
SECRETARIAT
ARKLE
etc etc etc
APART FROM THE FIRST 8 they are not in order of preference just in order of when my swiss cheesed memory remembered them or not!

09 Aug 2009 6:58 AM
Soldier Course

barb:

It took me a couple of times, but now I get Oliver Klozov ... now that's clever.

Every time I hear "The Pamplemousse" I get thirsty because I love grapefruit juice. Maybe Paula Deen could make a horse out of grapefruit sections.

Loved French. Still try to stay in touch lo these many years, by reading "Le Petit Prince".

10 Aug 2009 2:03 PM
Abbie Knowles

A horse made from grapefruit sections would be fun!

Have a good day!

God Bless

Al the best

Abbie

10 Aug 2009 8:43 PM
Soldier Course

Let's rename this poultry masterpiece in honor of -

Tom Durkin!

11 Aug 2009 8:54 PM
Abbie Knowles

Ooops I forgot

DIAMOND EDGE

how could I!??  I adored him from when I first saw him race!  Inauspiciously he lost his jockey then knocked himself unconscious but went on to become an all time great!

Also
Cavalryman
HALLING!!!!!!!!!
Nashwan
ROYAL GAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh you get the drift!
Loads of them
Don't particularly like Rachel Alexandra or Curlin as names but love the horses of course!
Of the silly names i like
Thethingaboutitis
and
Letsbehonestaboutit

But really prefer horses to have lovely names just as they deserve!

God Bless

Best wishes

Abbie

12 Aug 2009 8:22 PM
needler in Virginia

Must cast a vote for the best name ever.........for a horse, that is. It absolutely MUST be UNBRIDLED. No question. A good friend is still holding out for any horse named CARROT BREATH, but I truly hope THAT never happens. I do love the Pamplemousse, though; it's original and it does pique your interest. Now Turducken might spark a bit of "????" from the fans, especially if you're not from the southern climes. I can hear Durkin now....or maybe not: I can only hear him calling Arrrrr's races!!

Fun blog. Abbie forgot a name for her list, though--- Squirtle Squirt. Wonder where THAT name came from???????

13 Aug 2009 12:36 AM
aspradling

needler: lol Carrot Breath, yeah, not sure about that one =)

13 Aug 2009 9:48 AM
needler in Virginia

Yeah, Adam.....CB doesn't really have the ring of greatness about it, does it?? More like the ring of a truly bad vaudeville joke.......but then, one wonders why, oh! why ANYONE would name a horse Master Baker (the callers REALLY have to be careful with THAT one).  The Jockey Club really let that one slip by, didn't they??

Cheers and safe trips..AND a great weekend racing!

13 Aug 2009 2:46 PM
Soldier Course

needler in Virginia:

The name Unbridled evokes some of the same images as one of my favorite names, Wild Again.

Not one of the eleven Triple Crown winners had a goofy name. Owners need to think about that. I thought Smarty Jones was a great name for a Triple Crown winner. There was a lot about Smarty that would have made him a perfect #12. Alas ...

13 Aug 2009 8:13 PM
Abbie Knowles

no didn't like Squirtle Squirt much!

God Bless

Best wishes

Abbie

Nor Unbridled actually.  Ok but not brilliant!

14 Aug 2009 5:59 AM
needler in Virginia

Soldier and Abbie, I wasn't saying I like the name because of the horse, I was saying I just like the name! Unbridled evokes images of a flying mane and tail, no restraints, no hindrances.....just a horse running free; Soldier, you're right! Wild Again was a real favorite for the same reason. Mostly I was yanking your chain, Abbie, for all the names you listed. There's just no way I could pick favorites for a list.....I love each for unique reasons. That doesn't mean I DO love their names, or DON'T love their names either!

Sorry.....it's been a confusing week all the way 'round.

Cheers and safe trips.