Club of Ice

Jockeys 2.3

Here is a quick review of the show and I would like to hear feedback of what you thought of the newest episode.

How about the Dubai World Cup? The entire story surrounding Aaron Gryder and his attempt to win the Dubai World Cup was very captivating. The story included his family, the incredible story behind Well Armed, and Aaron representing the United States amid solid international competition. Well Armed was returning from a major injury to prove he is the best in the world.

The show also picks up on explaining the relationship between I Want Revenge and Joe Talamo. Joe explains pretty candidly how much the Kentucky Derby not only means to him, but to jockeys everywhere. Joe's races on I want revenge to prep for the Kentucky Derby are also covered in this episode, which is edited to remain pretty suspenseful.

The most emotional and insightful story for me to watch was about Iggy Puglisi's attempt to return to racing regularity. A major reason for him to fight hard for a comeback is so he and his fiance can finally get married. There was a lot of emotion expressed by Iggy and it seemed like he just couldn't catch a break, even with trainers who would allow him to race their horses.

The next new episode can bee seen tonight on Animal Planet.

You can order from Amazon.com on demand, if you are unable to view the show on TV.

---

Katherine Brooks found me via Facebook and I discovered she is working on a movie about Julie Krone. I had no idea this film was in the works and I am actually very interested in watching it.

"The Boys Club" is a biography of Julie Krone and her achievements. The movie has a wonderful website and explains the movie is about the boundaries that Julie fought to break, in order to achieve her goals. Among Julie's accomplishments were: being the first woman to win a riding title at a major horse track, win five races in one day at a NY track, and be the first woman to win a triple crown race.

Learn more at: http://www.theboysclubmovie.com/

---

Travers:

Summer Bird couldn't ask for a much better trip in his race. He sat in great position just off the pace, but in contention and waited out the other horses who started to give way and by the time the quarter pole was reached, Summer Bird knew he could take the slop and had enough distance in him to take off and pass the competition. Congratulations to he and Tim Ice. FYI: Time Ice is our next guest on talking horses.

Speaking of Summer Bird, here is a recent Bird Stone feature we posted:

[brightcove videoid="36376203001"]

Del Mar Handicap:

What an exciting finish in the stretch huh? I also couldn't believe how fast the early horses broke and were blazing the turf.

sherpa

Hi Adam.  I'm looking forward to the next installment of "Jockeys" tonight.  I love all the behind-the scenes stories about them and their horses.

I've been trying to watch the Birdstone video since it was first posted a few days ago.  I keep getting "The video you are trying to watch is currently unavailable" message.  All other BH videos load just fine for me.  Is anyone else having this problem?

04 Sep 2009 5:44 PM
Kate

The first three Jockeys eps. They were perfection. The newest episode really keeps the emotions going. I am really rooting for Iggy. Good luck!

I wonder how they are going to portray IEAH buying I Want Revenge and the odd way he was scratched. I know exactly how they will cover the Talamo, but the other side... that is what I am interested to see. How much "news" might sneak in. I want to know what happened!

I have to say... that while Gomez might be a top rider... I can't say I am a fan of his personality as it is portrayed on the show. Same with several other Jockeys that I really like... they don't always come off nice... especially to Kayla. Iggy seems like a true nice guy. So I'll be rooting for ya Iggy! Keep it up!

I am SUPER excited to hear about the Julie Krone movie! That plus the Secretariat movie! I am quite pleased! There are plenty of movie possibilities in this industry... I hope Hollywood keeps it up. We have fresh material! Unlike the over played superheroes genre.

05 Sep 2009 8:21 PM
Billy D.

Aaron Gryder's feature was interesting.

I think the feature about Iggy Puglisi was good however he comes off as a sad sap. Being in the business he must know how hard it is even for established riders to break in, in So Cal. It's simply business. If he removes his emotions, get's an agent and starts acting more like a jockey instead of crying to Garret Gomez about not getting mounts. You didn't see Gomez crying when he was in jail for drugs. He turned his life around and did it one step at a time. Albeit Gomez looks a lot better on a horse than Puglisi. No offense to Iggy however he should know better than to complain about the fact he's not getting mounts. If his winning a race or two depends on his fiance marrying him then perhaps she's not for him. Although I was pulling for Iggy during the episode.

05 Sep 2009 8:22 PM
Kate

Oh and you can also buy a season pass on iTunes for Jockeys. It is only like $10.99!

05 Sep 2009 8:23 PM
Racingfan

I really like the show!  I enjoyed Aaron Gryder's win which I saw on tv when it happened. But the fun part about the show to me is seeing behind the scenes.  I watch racing all the time but since I am not in the business, I don't get these details.  I am also really pulling for Iggy Puglisi and was thrilled in this week's episode when he won.  I really hope things keep improving for him!  I hope the show continues on and I also hope they take a bit of the spotlight off of the accidents which I think are a turn off to racing for new and many existing fans.

05 Sep 2009 9:46 PM
Abbie Knowles

Hi Adam,

Jockeys sounds great and I would have enjoyed it very much as I am a big fan of Well Armed and I Want Revenge! Also of Aaron Gryder and Joe Talamo.

I am looking forward the the Boys Club hitting the Cinemas very much!  Ditto the films about Secretariat and Takeover Target!!!!!  Takki is starring as himself in the latter I believe!!!!!!

Wasn't Pyro fantastic?  Zipping through the gaps to sprint clear for I think his first Grade 1 one triumph!  No headshaking or rearing and he and Johnny V looked in harmony thank goodness!

What did you think of Rachel getting rid of Calvin in the post parade?  Had she had a premonition that he was going to hit her so much?  I thought the way he used his whip was diabolical; poor Rachel!  But she was so brave and is so talented!  A great race except for seeing the butchering she got!  How would the jockeys like to be hit like that ????!!!!!!

Summer Bird was fantastic and is a wonderful colt!  I like Tim Ice too!

Hope things come right for Iggy Pugsli!

Have a great week!

God Bless

Best wishes

Abbie

08 Sep 2009 6:29 AM
aspradling

Hi Sherpa! A few other people have been having problems viewing the video. Let me know if the problem still exists.

Kate: I agree, since I know how the story unfolds in real life, I am always fascinated in how the producers/editors will portray the story and have it unfold.

Racingfan: That is a good point, I probably do have a little different experience with the show, knowing this business, so please let me know how you experience it, learning the behind the scenes stuff. I enjoy reading people's experiences.

Billy D.: You have a good point, but the guy did come back from injury, so maybe give him a little more credit and am glad yous till route for him =)

08 Sep 2009 1:45 PM
nonnonheinous

Didn't catch a lot of Season One, but vowed this year to try to watch Season Two. Love the hour long format and have been riveted to each episode, understanding that there is probably a little staging here and there.

Some of the drama is taken out if you paid any attention to the run up to the Kentucky Derby this year (i.e. you already know that I Want Revenge wins the Wood and the Gotham but wont get to run in the Derby, etc), but it's interesting to get to see some of the background story to past events.

I almost cried when Iggy won that race on Silent Soul!

Hope we get a little Pamplemousse action later on in the season. *Really* hope that horse heals up well and comes back to kick some butt next year.

08 Sep 2009 4:09 PM
sherpa

Adam - yes, the video runs fine now. If you're responsible for getting the message to the tech crew about the problem, I surely do appreciate it!  That's a really nice feature on Birdstone. He seems to be a sweetie. :-)

I'm pulling for Iggy but do think his part of the story is a bit maudlin.  Guess he's entitled, given the horrible accident he suffered.  Hope he overcomes all that, gets married to his lovely lady and stays healthy while he rebuilds his career.

Being 'distaff' myself, I really like the way they show how tough it is for Chantal & Kayla in the boys' room.  Iron maidens!

Do you know if the series will include the running of this year's Derby?

08 Sep 2009 8:21 PM
aspradling

sherpa: Yes, they will show the Kentucky Derby. I was around the AP cameras all that weekend. Look for me in that show, I wouldn't be surprised if you saw me or my legs or arms or camera ect...

09 Sep 2009 8:45 AM
sherpa

Wonderful win by Jon Court on Nite Light @Turfway yesterday!

13 Sep 2009 10:10 AM
Wanda

I'm a fan of Katherine's on facebook. she keeps us really well informed. Julie Krone was in Edmonton recently for the Canadian Derby and from what my friends tell me, she wowed 'em!

15 Sep 2009 3:59 PM