Today is Yesterday's Tomorrow

So it has been a while since I actually wrote words down as a blog. How is everyone?

History is the key word for the past month. The time frame has held a lot of graded stakes, some amazing performances and lots of crisp, freshly written history. The horse racing world has also lost six or more legends and fought through industry adjustment pains. If you're hungry for a piece of what I am referring to, listen to Steve Haskin list off Rachel Alexandra's accomplishments in the last ATO.

Though the economy seems to have eased in certain sectors, not meaning business has turned around in those sectors, the Thoroughbred industry has a few years ahead for correction. I just can't help but look back at history in these tough times, because we are witnessing history. Hopefully we won't repeat the mistakes.

I was not alive during the Depression or other dark times in our country's economic history, but I am living in today's dark economy. Similarly I was not alive while Secretariat was making history in the racing world. Though I am very excited to see the movie a year from now. I would enjoy reliving parts of that time.

Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra are giving me something I have never seen before. A welcomed distraction and hope in a sport that is hurting; especially at a time when our country is searching for pleasant distractions. We had these ladies come to the rescue. I want to include the magic Big Brown also brought at the beginning of our recession, but the historical part is definitely the ladies.

I will always take a welcome rest as I watch athletes conquer any barrier before them and make way for today, which is yesterday's tomorrow.

Blood-Horses' interview with Penny Chenery will be posted at then end of my blog and a nice feature is in our magazine this week on the Secretariat movie.

---

Now speaking of those stakes races, how have you all been doing? Any fun stories of good pay outs or just good luck?

The only race I bet on over the weekend was the First Lady at Keeneland. A $1 trifecta box on Tizaqueen, Diamondrella, and Forever Together, which paid very nicely. You know to bet on a Strawbridge horse whenever my friend Amanda is around, because the four times Strawbridge has had a horse race, and Amanda has been present, the horse wins. Classic.

If you watch Pursuit of the Cup or follow the ladies racing around the world, Tizaqueen and Diamondrella are sure to do well in the Breeders' Cup, which is on synthetic as Keeneland is synthetic. So piece these two talented ladies with the hunch of Forever Together, you get the formula I bet. I honestly did not handicap by numbers, which I normally do, but I did it by pure preference in their efforts.

I have been tweeting a lot on the horses of interest I follow. The Star Wars horses have been doing very well this summer and fall meet. Even Scooby Dubai has been on the upswing.

Please drop a line and let me know what you have been following this month!

[brightcove videoid="44633876001"]

Somethingroyal

I am so blessed with the wonderful memories of having watched  Secretariat run in 1972 & 1973.    In spite of the fact there was no internet in his day. People knew who Secretariat was. There wasn't a newspaper you couldn't pick up that didn't have something to report on the big horse. I kept the Newsweek, Sports Illustrated and Time magazines that he appeared on. Secretariat was a happening and Penny with her grace and and dedicated team helped make Secretariat who is was. A legend! Thank you, Penny. You gave us a treasure to cherish.

14 Oct 2009 6:08 PM
carolyn rogers

I am so glad that Mrs. Chenery is still with us today and Ron Turcotte. These are the fine people that got to witness the great Secretariat. These folks got to see him, ride him and be in his presence. What an honour for them today to be able to share their great memories of him with us.

14 Oct 2009 8:31 PM
Runfast159

Thanks so much for the clip of the Penny Chenery interview.  I am so excited for the movie the only question I have is not whether I will see it but how many times!

I've been following Richard's Kid since just before the Pac Classic (and placed a win bet on him). No one gave him a second thought for the Goodwood but he showed up and I think this horse could be sitting on a big performance in the Classic.

I'm just waiting for the fields to start firming up before the BC so I can start handicapping the races in earnest.

14 Oct 2009 10:21 PM
Susan Kayne, Unbridled Racing

Penny is a class act -- a real genuine lady of the turf and true inspiration. Loved the piece and hope you will continue to promote it.

15 Oct 2009 3:08 AM
ruffian316

Wow...I'm in tears right now. I love Penny Chenery so much. What a tremendous role model and representative for horse racing. I wish I could tell her how much she and Secretariat have meant to me my entire 30 years and how much they have shaped my life. Thanks Penny!

15 Oct 2009 9:17 AM
geegees

The interview was awesome.  I have been lucky to have met Lucien Laurin, Ron Turcotte, Eddie(Shorty)Sweat and Charlie Davis.  While I never had the chance to meet Mrs. Tweedy (as I grew up knowing her as) all 4 of those gentlemen had nothing but the highest praise for the First Lady of Racing.  I cant wait for the movie,too bad Riva Ridge couldnt have made a guest appearance!

15 Oct 2009 11:38 AM
Karen2

"Today is yesterday's tomorrow"  I really like that Adam.. You said a mouthful there. I couldn't agree with you more.  We are making history right now and we are living it. Does the history we are making now seem as "nostalgic" as days past??? We don't know. Probably not simply because the world has changed so much we just can't go back to that...but we have to live in the times we have been given. I for one am THANKFUL that I lived in the time with the great Big Red...even if I was 6. I am also THANKFUL to be living in the times of RA and Zenyatta....at 42. Horse racing is my true hearts desire.  I do find it an incredible honor that one of the horses found to play the noble Secretartiat is from the great (and well kept secret) of North Dakota. We are about as far removed from the big deal that is horse racing as you can get. I can't wait to see the movie!!!

15 Oct 2009 1:30 PM
txhorsefan

Amazing video, Adam.  Thank you for sharing it here.  What a generous and kind person Mrs. Chenery is.  I cannot wait to see the movie and like Runfast said, the question is how many times will I see it?  Thanks!

15 Oct 2009 7:47 PM
KY Fan

Great video!  Enjoyed seeing Mrs. Chenery at Keeneland during the filming of Secretariat.  She is truly a role model for women.

18 Oct 2009 11:59 PM