Horse Racing Does Skate Boarding

Rob Dyrdek has competed in the X Games, set Guinness Book of World Records, and is an amazing skater period. He was born in Kettering, Ohio and used to travel down to my hometown of Lexington, KY to skate every now and then. A few of my friends would skate with him way back in the day.

With Rob's location, he easily had access to horse racing via Beulah Park, Thistledowns, River Downs and even Turfway Park. After being successful at skating and starting a few companies, including Alien Workshop, he moved to California to grow his involvement in the sport and grow the sport as a whole.

I grew up skating, although I personally did aggressive inline skating and was not good at it =). Laugh if you will, but I still followed the ever evolving culture of skate boarding, inline skating, surfing and more "X-game" type stuff. I emphasize X-games, because it really helped showcase the talent and culture nationally. I remember watching the first airing in 1995, thank you ESPN.

In this episode Rob names his horse "Mega Horse" and determines his jockey name to be "Bolt Speedman." Rob takes you through his prepping for jockeying his newly acquired race horse in the horses' first REAL race at Hollywood Park. Do you think he will stay on, and does he even have a chance to win his race? You will have to watch and find out, I promise it is worth it.

To tie this into the industry, it is evident that we could use more owners, and educated owners at that. I was excited to see a fun spin on such a great sport. If we as an industry could only promote racing in such a way. Examine how Rob does take jockeying seriously, though he jokes around a lot, to learn the techniques, take lessons and understand how it works. We don't see everything he does to prep for the race, since the show can only be a certain time length. Enjoy.

Ep. 1 Dirty Man-Horse
Rob busts out his alter-ego 'Bolt Speedman' to jockey his new Mega Horse and mentors Drama in his career as a mini-mogul.
Watch the full episode, click here if you get "video is no longer available" to watch at MTV.com for free.

Rob Dyrdek encourages jockey uniform as Halloween Costume.

Jockey Training Trick into the Foam Pit

Bonus horse leg video here.

---

UPDATE: I received a few questions and did some further digging, here is what I found...

It seems Rob bought a share with Ciaglia Racing LLC and Frank Alesia. Euroglide and She's Cheeky are two horses owned by Ciaglia Racing for example. Ciaglia builds pro skate-parks and is friends with Dyrdek.

"...Professional skateboarding champion Rob Dyrdek, an avid horse racing enthusiast, was at Oak Tree Wednesday to see the 2-year-old filly Jet Blue Girl win the first race for trainer Peter Eurton. One of the filly’s owners is Joe Ciaglia, who builds skateboard parks. The 35-year-old Dyrdek, a native of Ohio who once rode in a mock Thoroughbred race at Hollywood Park, visited the Oak Tree jockeys’ room, where he enjoyed photo ops with his fellow athletes . . . " -- Ed Golden's, Stable Notes

There is a Megahorse registered in Australia. Megahorse is by Tobougg (IRE) - Megamota (AUS) by Aakaaber, but I doubt this is the horse Dyrdek is associated with.

Runfast159

As the mother of a teenage boy, I have come to "know" Rob Dyrdek well!  Before Fantasy Factory there was Rob and Big.

We record his shows, and I watch them all.  Aside from skateboarding and his various business adventures, he's extremely entertaining.

However, I didn't think the race looked real in terms of a typical race.  I thought maybe the race was staged, though I don't doubt Rob rode the horse.  Was this a real race, did they win like it appeared, was there a purse?  Either way, it was great entertainment.

I agree that celebrities, especially those that appeal to a younger crowd are a welcome and much needed boost to racing. I am hoping we see much more of Rob and "Mega Horse."

19 Oct 2009 1:18 PM
uberVU - social comments

This post was mentioned on Twitter by BH_AdamsTurf: New Blog Post on Skate Boarding + Tbred Owners + Rob Dyrdek = http://bit.ly/2Ahp2I

19 Oct 2009 1:25 PM
aspradling

Runfast159: I honestly do think this race was staged. There was no one else at the track, if you notice the crowd shot of his friends. So this had to be done before the track opened or on a dark day.

BUT he still jockeyed his horse to a win, whether the other jockeys held their horses back or not. So I dub it a real race =)

Im a huge Rob and Big fan as well.

19 Oct 2009 1:32 PM
subsociety

As a former skateboarder and someone who works in the horse industry, I've been waiting to see if there would be any mention of this show since it aired a few weeks ago.  I owned Dyrdek's first pro model in the late 80s and have become a fan of the show--he's very entertaining.  Rather than focusing on slots as a quick fix, racing should focus on a long term solution, like becoming relevant to a new generation.  Who knows, horse racing could even become "cool" again one day.

19 Oct 2009 1:43 PM
aspradling

subsociety: I definitely agree that our industry, actually our nation, is consumed by the short term solutions and the instant "gratification" solutions. We definitely need long term plans and to implement them.

As far as skating, do you still have that board and was it your first board or just the first from Dyrdek's line? What areas did you like to skate?

19 Oct 2009 1:51 PM
ALB

I too watched this episode of Fantasy Factory (I think it was the season premiere) and knew the race was indeed staged, however, I wanted to know if he really did purchase a racehorse? I know he likes horses, since he has/had "Mini Horse", do you know does he still own him? Rob doesn't make any mention of him anymore. Thanks in advance!

19 Oct 2009 2:49 PM
Billy's Empire

That episode was quite funny. I doubt that Rob could make the 115 pound requirement to even ride in a race, but that episode was funny as hell. I do miss Rob and Big. Best Episode, the Manpon episode!!!

19 Oct 2009 2:57 PM
Billy's Empire

A great horse owner and racing ambassador, JIM ROME!!

19 Oct 2009 2:58 PM
mark sipus

I was an exercise rider for twenty years I love Robs show.It was GREAT for horse racing.My step-son made sure I saw it.That's what we need to make horse racing look cool,because it is,older people smoking cigars younger people having fun.Get with the marketing program you can get everyone!!!

20 Oct 2009 10:04 AM
Runfast159

ALB, Rob doesn't have Mini Horse anymore.  He did an episode where he featured "Good Pet: Meaty" and "Bad Pet: Mini Horse" with clips of Mini being, well, a horse!  Like all of the shows, very funny.  I like his pet names.  His bulldogs: Meaty and Beefy.  The mice (or "meeces" as he calls them) that he got for Drama: Swissy and Cheesy.

Side note, doesn't Toby Keith also own race horses?  He could be a great promoter as well.

20 Oct 2009 11:38 AM
sophiekea

As someone who grew up with many people in the"extreme" sports crowd this was very entertaining to see. And those sports have taken kids attentions away from most main stream sports. Racing needs to make it self cool to the younger generation. When the children and grandchildren of old racing families want nothing to do with the sport you know its time to find a cure!

20 Oct 2009 12:42 PM
Nick hensley

Well, i played many games like http://www.horseracegame.com/ but the feature shown in Jockey Training Trick into the Foam Pit in video is something totally new for me.

12 Mar 2010 7:11 AM