Breeders' Cup Competition VIDEOS

Stable Boy and I will be posting video reels of horses in Breeders' Cup races. The goal is to split up the horses we have footage of, by race, so you can see what they look like around the track.  So Bookmark/Favorite this page as we will be updating it for videos for each race.

DAY 2

Juvenile Fillies Turf

[brightcove videoid="48787528001"]

Marathon:

[brightcove videoid="48793542001"]

Lance S

Wow!

Now we know why Rachel wasn't here - it had NOTHING to do with the surface and EVERYTHING to do with that monster.

Frankly, I wasn't totally sold on Zenyatta before today, but in over 40 years of watching this sport, this was the single most impressive performance I've ever seen from a filly or mare.  This is not just the Horse of the Year, this is the greatest distaffer in the history of North American horse racing.

We are blessed to be able to see her.  She was pulling away from a great field at the real American distance of 10 furlongs, not hanging on for dear life at 9.  Incredible!

Hail, Zenyatta!

07 Nov 2009 7:15 PM
Tracy W.

I've followed her since the Apple Blossom, and as a California native who's main track was Santa Anita itself, fell hard in love with her like the rest of my Cali brethren. She's simply in a class by herself. Not even the world could catch her today, and she was still running at half-speed.

I'm still extremely young, with a future in this fantastic sport, but I know I will never see one like her again. Simply one of the greatest racehorses in history. No ifs, ands, or buts.

07 Nov 2009 7:27 PM
aspradling

Welcome to history.

07 Nov 2009 8:02 PM
Sammi P

All hail the Queen!

Zenyatta was amazing, perfect in every way! Bad star, wrong lead, way back, longer then she has ever gone, oh and the best horses in the world and she STILL makes it look easy! My vote goes to her for HOY. Rachel is in line to be Queen, but she is gone have to wait a little longer because Zen just proved she won't go down easy.

Way to go Z Queen!

07 Nov 2009 8:07 PM
HaleyB

All I can say is WOW, she is superb. The year of the Ladies, with Zenyatta, Rachel, Goldikova and Life is Sweet.  She reminds me of a beautiful train, that just keeps gaining and then passes all her competition.  She is class and power.  Kudos to all her connections.  I hope she continues to race next year, although they are probably thinking "little Zenyattas".  But racing can use a Queen, and Zenyatta is that.  Congratulations, my dear, you did good.

07 Nov 2009 8:18 PM
Cy

Will not call Zenyatta a queen she ran four races all year and to race against her she had to have home court advantage at all times.

The true queen should be Goldikova, and since only breeders cup races count no matter what a horse does the rest of the Goldikova should have Horse of the Year!

07 Nov 2009 8:46 PM
txhorsefan

Adam, you and Stable Boy rock!!  Thanks for the videos!  I hope you both had a wonderful time at Santa Anita, come back tan and always treasure the memories of getting to see Zenyatta in person.  Well, all the others, too, but oh, that Zenyatta!!

07 Nov 2009 9:13 PM
julie o

wow wow wow!!!  I know that was the best race I've ever seen from a mare.  But to say she's a great female is minimizing her ability: she's one of the greatest thoroughbreds I've ever seen period.  The great Zenyatta!

07 Nov 2009 9:27 PM
MtBFan (STILL)

The greatest distaffer in the history of NA horse racing?

Give me a break. Her performance was fantastic, but she's left California only once. Zenyatta held off perhaps a higher class in the Classic and it was a great race. But it was ONE RACE.

Rachel took risks, running around different tracks. She defeated her filly foes by amazing lengths, moved on to the 3 y/o classics open to males & females (but was the only girl anywhere) and lead away with power on a classic surface, responding well. She took 3 y/o TC contenders, the Derby winner, the Belmont winner, she took the older males. I'm not making this a trendy 'battle of the sexes' but showing what comparable risks she took. Zenyatta was a charmer and deserves all she's won against some great fillies. The Classic shocked me. But HOTY belongs to Rachel. Maybe the horses Zen defeated today were classier, yes, Zen's got a perfect record, maybe Zen's developed more but Rachel's proven more and ignited the world of racing. Cheers.

07 Nov 2009 10:37 PM
mroll

A great performance but surely not one to take away HOTY from Rachel Alexandra, who arguably had one of the greatest 3yo campaigns in history. A Preakness, Haskell and Woodward win, all against males. Zenyatta beat males once. Zenyatta's speed figures or times don't even touch Rachel Alexandras'. Yes, Zenyatta will be in the Hall of Fame, but Rachel is one of the all-time greats. Zenyatta won  the race on her home surface, on that fakey surface which she's ran over all year. Some of the better horses in the race could have absolutely beaten her if the race was on dirt, no question. And there's no question she should be Champion Older Mare but not HOTY, AGAIN.

I'm sorry for attacking Zenyatta, I mean I was very impressed with her race, but I was bothered to see people thinking she would be HOTY. The best two horses in the world are Rachel and Sea the Stars, and she beat neither(even when there was numerous challenges by Jackson to get Zenyatta to run against Rachel).

08 Nov 2009 12:31 AM
John Boudreau

Zenyatta and The "BID" Greatest EVER>>>>The Coverage of the Races on ABC and ESPN IS HORRIBLE>>> GREAT Run by Presious Passion>>>

08 Nov 2009 7:58 AM
BlueHen

This BC weekend was GREAT for horse racing, with a ton of exciting races!  Zenyatta even made the network news this morning.

08 Nov 2009 9:04 AM
da3hoss

Thanks for doing this!

08 Nov 2009 10:01 AM
Saratoga AJ

Zenyatta is HOTY in the People's Republic of California and it's fake tracks.

Rachel Alexandra is HOTY everywhere else.

08 Nov 2009 10:35 AM
laura s.

WAY TO GO CALIFORNIA FLAG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08 Nov 2009 10:53 AM
Katie

I have to admit that I was speechless after the Classic...but let look mat the facts here: Summer Bird was pretty close to Zenyatta at the end...and rachel DESTROY Summer Bird in the Haskell...and she had done way more this year, took way more risk. HOY for Rachel!

08 Nov 2009 11:30 AM
Linda

Zinyatta is the queen of the synthedic surface she proved it by winning the breeders cup in the classic, but I am sorry to say that she does not deserve HOY.  I know that many of those colts did not like the surface, there is no way she beats them on the dirt, period.  She is one terrific mare though very impressive.  Too bad she has been held back by the trainer, still dont know how good she is?????

08 Nov 2009 12:08 PM
War Admiral

MtBFan and Saratoga AJ,

Take your anger and resentment for Zenyatta and channel it to "respect".

08 Nov 2009 12:27 PM
War Admiral

Katie,

Synthetic racing is "notorius" for close finishes. You don't draw away on synthetic surfaces. You need to understand synthetic racing before you can understand how great Zenyatta is.

08 Nov 2009 12:31 PM
Round Table

mroll,

Zenyatta is undefeated. Rachel Alexandra will never be.

08 Nov 2009 12:36 PM
Karen in Indiana

The filly and the mare have both done things this year that will go in record books and have both been a joy to watch. But I have to give the edge to Zenyatta and not just because she was in the Breeders Cup. Looking back over what Rachel has done this year - where are the fillies she beat? Very few of them have gone on to stakes success. What about the males she beat? Zenyatta beat the KD and the Belmont winners easily, Macho Again is inconsistent, Bullsbay lost his race. Sure, Zenyatta only ran 5 races & RA ran 8. But the quality of the competition should count for just as much, if not more, than the quantity. The Classic this year was a field full of Grade and Group I winners. So what about Zenyatta’s competition this past year? Life is Sweet went on to win the Ladies Classic and beat some very good fillies herself in Music Note, Cocoa Beach, and Rainbow View. While there can be cases made for both, my opinion (which doesn’t count because I can’t vote) is Zenyatta has more than earned it. As you can tell, I live in the midwest and have no coast bias. :-)

08 Nov 2009 12:46 PM
bowlofflowers

Thank you for the videos!!!  You 2 guys ROCK.  And so does Zenyatta!  Great trainer, great jockey and ride and great MARE!  What a day of racing!

08 Nov 2009 6:37 PM