If 2-Year-Olds Could Only Fit Under A Christmas Tree

We all know that Santa loves making lists, checking them at least twice. Surely he also has a list of his early top 12 picks for the Kentucky Derby of 2010!

If only two-year-olds would fit under a Christmas tree, and I found a nice Medaglia or Giant's Causeway or Empire Maker or Candy Ride or Street Cry or Rock Hard Ten or Flower Alley or even a Mingun...you get the point, what a wonderful surprise it would be.

Yep, time to examine the 2-Year-Olds going on 3. So here are a few I am watching, that maybe you have not heard much about yet.

Smoothe as Candy (Candy Ride - Crownette by Seattle Slew) 2YO Chestnut Filly.
A full sister to Chocolate Candy and a record of 3-0-0-1 with a 4th place finish as well. This horse is of course based in California, owned by Jenny Craig and trained by Jerry Hollendorfer.

Twirling Candy (Candy Ride - House of Danzing, by Chester House) 2YO Dark Bay Colt. A record of 1-1-0-0 with the win at Hollywood park 11/14/09.  Also owned by Jenny Craig, but trained by John W. Sadler. Haskin mentions Twirling Candy in his first Derby Dozen for the 2010 Kentucky Derby.

A Medaglia d'Oro just broke her maiden nicely at Aqueduct. Golden Galleon is her name. We all know how big of a fan I am of Medaglia and of course his first crop of 2YOs, which became big winners at 3...well this filly is by Medgalia, out of a Stormy Atlantic (whom I love) mare named Atlantic Ocean. Watch the replay here! She made a very nice move! What is he other factor to examine. The Pletcher angle, this horse is trained by Todd Pletcher.

A new horse I am going to follow and you should too:

Vlad the Impailer
(Dixie Union - Music Way, by Kris S.)

Owner: Pacific Ridge Racing LLC
Trainer: Andrew McKeever
Bred by: River Bend Farm, Inc. (KY)
Sale: KEESEP 2008

5th of 5 10/28/09 at Keeneland with Borel aboard.

He races next on December 11th, in race 3, at Fair Grounds, so go watch!

Sure Vlad was known for scaring off enemies by placing rivals on stakes, impaled of course, around his castle...or Vlad could be the center of vampire jokes, but this horse name is just deviant and entertaining. I bet we could bring a whole new generation to love horse racing by connecting this horse, the history lesson of Vlad/vampires and saying the words "New Moon."

If you become very curious, then you might enjoy this:

MRO

I love it when full siblings do well in the major races, so I'll definitely be watching for Smoothe As Candy. She's out of a Seattle Slew daughter, so she is already a favorite.

10 Dec 2009 3:55 PM
merlinmerry

Vlad the Impailer - sounds like one to watch. Or else.

However, he'll only bring in the new generation if there are some angst-filled close races, followed by "sparkling" wins. (And perhaps his mane can be teased up into unnatural heights...?) I wonder, can a horse brood?

Thanks for the Discovery Channel video - if this "Vlad the Impailer," is anything like the original, he should be a real terror on the track!

10 Dec 2009 4:36 PM
christy tate

man o man where do they get the names for some horses. just hope vlad can live up to his. there's a horse in australia named Dracula, and he lives up to his name because he's imposing looking. wonder if vlad is too.

10 Dec 2009 6:32 PM
Justine

I think it would be better to avoid bringing in those kinds of fans. This sport does not need them, and I don't think they'll take too kindly to us when they learn about the other side of horse racing.

Other than that, hello Smoothe As Candy!

10 Dec 2009 6:40 PM
jeanetta84

How many starts has Golden Galleon had?

10 Dec 2009 7:59 PM
Deborah

Where is Backtalk?  Is he still there?

10 Dec 2009 10:57 PM
Draynay

I saw Don't Blame the Cat run a few weeks ago and he was very impressive.  Can you call Dutrow and ask his plans with the horse please.

10 Dec 2009 11:42 PM
Amy

Any Birdstone babies coming up 3 yrs?

11 Dec 2009 8:38 AM
aspradling

Deborah:

Backtalk has not raced since Oct. 10th, and according to equibase, no workouts in the last 60 days. My guess is he might be done for the rest of 2009? I did not find any other news on him.

jeanetta84:

Golden Galleon has started one time, and won =)

Amy:

Birdstone's to watch:

Bet Your Boots (the only stakes winner so far)

Birdstone Gulch

Birdstones also running:

Cuz You All

Guiltbyassociation

Unbridled Grit

Miss Mockingbird

Dray: I would  take Shrimp Dancer over Dont Blame The Cat any day, because the litter she comes from is VAST, soooo many Ramsey horses and people's kittens. I mean the Breeders' Cup had like a billion Kitten's Joy in it.

11 Dec 2009 9:12 AM
Slew

I'm thinking Buddy's Saint would

make a nice stocking stuffer.

I'm sure he's looking forward to

TC status next year.

11 Dec 2009 9:36 AM
Slew

I have to add, since Vlad is by Kris S....does he look anything like Rock Hard Ten????  Might be interesting...

11 Dec 2009 9:58 AM
aspradling

His dam Music Way is by Kris S. but I have not seen any photos yet. Maybe Fair Grounds will have one today.

11 Dec 2009 10:25 AM
aspradling
11 Dec 2009 10:28 AM
Kim in Ky

As a huge "New Moon/Twilight" fan, and also a life long (37 years and counting) fan of horse racing, I take exception to Justine's comment. Twilight fans make great racing fans too. :)

11 Dec 2009 1:22 PM
nonnonheinous

I have special affection for Shrimp Dancer. First of all, I couldn't imagine how someone could name a majestic TB something that evokes both elegance and tiny size at the same time. Second of all, he's not that bad of a runner!

Here's a little blog about Shrimp Dancer I found, explaining the source of the name:

www.belmontinsider.com/.../will-dance-for-shellfish.html

11 Dec 2009 2:01 PM
aspradling

Vlad held off one foe to nab 3rd in his race today!

nonnonheinous:

MaidenWatch is following Kitten's Joys First Crop of 2YOs, and has written about Shrimp Dancer. You should check it out! Thanks for the link.

11 Dec 2009 3:08 PM
Karen2

Maybe someone can help me out here. I have heard about this "virtual stable" where you can follow your favorite horses. I am technologically challenged. Any help would be appreciated.

11 Dec 2009 3:29 PM
aspradling

Karen2:

DRF.com and Equibase.com both have virtual stables.

Click here to go to Equibase:

www.equibase.com/.../gvsCustomerRegistrationNew.cfm

It is free, and you type in the horses name you want to follow, it will search for all instance os the name, then you click on which of the horses it lists that is the correct horse. Then it is in your stable.

You can also set up email notifications for works, entrys, and results.

11 Dec 2009 3:46 PM
jk

My west coast buddies keep telling me about a Pulpit colt Piana man? They say this is a monster colt I dont think he has run yet.

11 Dec 2009 4:24 PM
aspradling

jk:

He has not raced yet. He has worked recently (yesterday).

equibase.com/.../eqbHorseInfo.cfm

11 Dec 2009 4:56 PM
txhorsefan

Karen2 - it took me a while to figure out how to set up my virtual stable at equibase, but it really is simple, so if I can do it, any one can.  You can add horses, add trainers and follow.  They will email you notifications of workouts, race entries, etc.  Very cool.  I was even happy I figured out how to set up a filter at my email so it goes directly there.  You can teach an old dog new tricks! :)

11 Dec 2009 6:32 PM
txhorsefan

Adam, forgot to tell you how much I enjoyed this column!  Yes, it would be great to find a 2 year old under my tree, but I've been asking for a horse for Christmas for at least the last 60 years and I still don't have one.

11 Dec 2009 6:33 PM
Draynay

Is everyone afraid to talk to Mr. Dutrow ?  Just a 2 minute call to get his thoughts and plans with Don't Blame the Cat.....anyone ?

12 Dec 2009 12:58 AM
Slew

Saw Vlad race.  Beautiful, almost

black colt, not big, and a very

distant 3rd.  Did not appear to have the stamina???..Maybe next time.

13 Dec 2009 10:19 AM
Mindy C.

Bob Baffert has a maiden winner in Tiz Chrome.  His workouts are very fast and I do  believe that he is a horse for the future.  His win came @ Keenland I believe and it was a nice one.  Love American Lion also...still green but definitely has a big future...

13 Dec 2009 5:32 PM
SSC

Adam, take a look at an Albertrani Offlee Wild 2 yr old. Middle of the Nite. You will like what you see. Prado loved him.

15 Dec 2009 3:11 PM