Gifts That Will Keep On Giving

As the year winds down, a few closing thoughts on gifts given this year that will continue to bring a smile to my face as long as I live. Feel free to share favorite memories, but please leave your HOY and HOD arguments at home. I want to hear races, from Maiden Claiming to Foreign Allowance races to Graded Stakes.

Zenyatta

Mine That Bird

Rachel Alexandra

Einstein

Pyro

Kodiak Kowboy

Port Stanley

Nice post. Of course, the best race of the year was Port Stanley's maiden victory.

Watching the Oaks again, it's amazing that it looks like an ordinary race until Rachel explodes.

Won some nice money on Kodiak Kowboy in the Cigar Mile - although not as much as I won on Port Stanley!

18 Dec 2009 8:53 PM
Racingfan

All the above were great races!  I also really liked I Want Revenge in the Wood Memorial!  I hope it's also okay to mention that I ordered a Zenyatta DVD from Hollywood Park and it is terrific!

19 Dec 2009 8:15 AM
Carol

It remains such a thrill to watch the replay of the Breeder's Cup Classic. Zenyatta is truly amazing!

19 Dec 2009 9:28 AM
TexSpect

Great gifts! Happy Holidays to all!!!

19 Dec 2009 12:07 PM
anna w

why don't you have any videos of summer bird in the mix? he's this yrs champion 3yr old colt not mine that bird.

19 Dec 2009 12:57 PM
Dennis B

The first horse that I ever bred, Brenda's Slew, won her career debut in 2009 and then won the 2009 Iowa Sorority Stakes in her third life-time start. What a gift! Here are the videos of her races: www.youtube.com/watch

www.youtube.com/watch

19 Dec 2009 3:18 PM
freetex

Tremendous year of racing with many superstars.

19 Dec 2009 6:41 PM
sherpa

You chose a great group of races, Adam!  Aside from most of these, and several BC amazing efforts by some of my favorites (Cloudy's Knight, Presious Passion, Lookin' at Lucky, Gotta Have Her), two of my most-watched video "gifts" this year are Interpatation winning the Joe Hirsch Turf Classic (can be viewed here:

www.bloodhorse.com/.../joe-hirsch-turf-classic-invitational-s

and Sumacha'hot winning the Maryland Million Classic:

www.bloodhorse.com/.../maryland-million-classic-s

They both have wonderful back-stories, too.  Best of all, they'll be the gifts that keep on giving in 2010!

19 Dec 2009 7:07 PM
txhorsefan

Adam, you get no arguments from me - great races all.  Love that new video from Breeders' Cup.  Thanks for sharing.

19 Dec 2009 8:47 PM
Monique Sobrino

Great videos  nice to see two great fillies win two of the biggest races.  This is what horseracing needs.

19 Dec 2009 11:30 PM
merlinmerry

Favorite races?  I keep going back to 3 - the MacDiarmida, the Monmouth Stakes and the United Nations Stakes.  In the first 2, I dare anyone not to get a little choked up as, "Presious Passion is coming back!"  And the United Nations?  A tour de force as Presious Passion destroyed the old stakes and course record.  (It had been held by English Channel.)

Love the ladies, love the Birds but Presious Passion had to be one of the most exciting horses to run in 2009.  Here's hoping for more from him in 2010!

20 Dec 2009 1:45 AM
Hildegard

Love it!  What a great year of racing!!

20 Dec 2009 12:14 PM
Wanda

Thanks so much for the videos Adam and for all that you do on this website. I enjoy all the posts and your sense of humor! Have a very Merry Christmas!

20 Dec 2009 1:16 PM
Kim C.

Adam,

Thanks for putting that together. What fun it was to watch all those races again!

20 Dec 2009 9:43 PM
Judy ~ Burbank, CA

I loved going down memory lane. Thanks for posting these videos! Hail to the Girls in 2009!!!

My love to Mine That Bird, too.

20 Dec 2009 10:22 PM
GunBow

The Breeder's Cup did an excellent job(I'm assuming they made it) with their video.  I know some Easterners, particularly those "purists" that disdain synthetic surfaces(I'm no fan myself), might not agree, but this was a fantastic Breeder's Cup.  I was at Santa Anita both days and the atmosphere was just electric, climaxing with the Classic.  The weather was perfect, no horse suffered a serious injury, and Santa Anita provided a beautiful setting.  Additionally, horses from all across the world won, Tapitsfly from the Eastern US, Informed Decision, She Be Wild and Furthest Land from the Midwest, Vale of York from Dubai via Europe(Italy), Midday and Conduit from England, Man of Iron and Pounced from Ireland, Goldikova from France(giving Europe a total of 6 winners), and Dancing in Silks, California Flag, Life is Sweet, and Zenyatta from California.

21 Dec 2009 2:48 AM
A Zen Fan Forever

Yes Rachael ran on dirt tracks and muddy dirt tracks - but all dirt. Rachael has never ran 1 1/4 mile race.  Nobody seems to ever bring that up.  I love them both but Zenyatta is and will be forever in my heart

21 Dec 2009 9:46 AM