Rescue and Sanctuary - A Second Chance

Thanks to Shannon Hahn’s Argyle, N.Y-based Double L Stable Equine Rescue and Sanctuary, a gray racehorse who lost an eye in a track accident has found a happy ending—albeit after a long road—with a caring owner and a new career.

In the midst of all the news about neglected horses and slaughter-bound ex-racers, it’s always encouraging when a rescue organization passes on a story such as this. While it might not happen often in comparison with the alarming number of unwanted horses that turn up each day, the encouragement from these stories of success always brighten my spirits gives me hope for a better future.

I actually first wrote about Hahn’s stable Saratoga Springs when she related this story http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/48966/inside-track-second-chances to me last year about a rescued mare and her newborn foal, who is now working as a therapy horse.

Hahn’s operation is one of the many rescue facilities throughout the country that—especially in light of the struggling economy—need our help to survive. During this Valentine’s Day season, Double L is holding a fundraiser contest and asking the public to send Valentine’s Card to its rescue horses with a $1 bill inside (or more if they wish).

The cards will be hung in the barn for visitors to see, and on St. Patrick’s Day one name will be selected to receive a $20 gift card to Tractor Supply Co. Cards can be sent to: The Horses, Double L Stable Equine Rescue and Sanctuary, 9 Tilford Rd, Argyle, NY 12809.

As a little pick-me-up for fellow rescues and fans alike, Hahn wanted to relate the story of the aforementioned one-eyed gelding named Best At Law. Double L originally adopted out the horse to a woman in Pennsylvania, who had to return him a year later due to her own health issues. Sent back to Double L, Best at Law was next adopted by a Vermont-based family, which renamed him Orion.

Unfortunately, due to the family’s farm going out of business a year later, the gelding was once again returned to Double L and in need of a new home. Not giving up hope, Hahn reposted Orion for adoption for the third time, and a young girl named Ashley who was searching for a show horse wound up taking him.

“(Ashley’s) trainer at the time did not want her to adopt a one-eyed horse as a show prospect—he didn’t think (the horse) would be able to learn the work and said the judges would not like him,” said Hahn. “Well, this one-eyed wonder has proved them all wrong! Orion is doing wonderful and winning ribbons with the best of them.”

Best at Law and Ashley
Photo: Best At Law and Ashley Dorey in dressage

“This horse is a grand example of what an ex-racer can do and what wonderful horses are available through rescue,” Hahn continued. “Through no fault of his own this horse was adopted out three times, but finally found his forever home. In order to continue our work we need all the help we can get in these hard times.”

Double L Blog Link

txhorsefan

Thanks, Adam.  It's always great to read a story of courage and persistence such as this.  This TB and those surrounding him, have to have both in great measure to keep working through the difficulties to finally find him the right home.  Thank you for sharing it with your readers!

22 Jan 2010 5:45 PM
Nicole

Great story.  Only thing wrong with it is no pictures of Orion!

22 Jan 2010 7:24 PM
Carolyn in ND

Great story!!  sometimes it takes more than one try for an animal to get adopted.  We all have challenges in life & a horse with one eye can adjust.  Pollards Vision raced just fine.

22 Jan 2010 10:10 PM
GhostTown

How many horses are at the facility?  I would like to send a card to each of them because they all deserve to be someones Valentine.

22 Jan 2010 10:15 PM
Dawn in MN

I'll send a Valentine.  I used to work closely with a completely un-related animal rescue.  Every single dollar makes a difference.  The sending and receiving of a card is a valuable show of support.  I hope the display is covered with cards.  Thank you Mr. Spradling for bringing these stories to Bloodhorse.

23 Jan 2010 9:27 AM
Jen R.

This story about a hard-luck horse finding two loving homes (even though they both fell through) before finding his third "forever" home is great!

There are so many people out there doing such tremendous work for these horses and so many owners who love their retired TBs dearly. Thanks for giving this side of the horse industry some much deserved props!

As a side note - Esther's writing is THE BEST. She always gives the "human side" to stories in the racing industry and makes them relatable not just to industry insiders, but to any horse lover or sports enthusiast. Good job on this guest blog!

23 Jan 2010 11:16 AM
Malone

What a nice heartwarming story.

23 Jan 2010 12:44 PM
Betsi McCullough !

Thank all of you for your determined and combined efforts to find our friends a safe haven and loving home.

23 Jan 2010 2:08 PM
Freetex

Such a great story and I hope the horse has a forever home.

23 Jan 2010 6:51 PM
MRO

I cannot get enough of these rescue & retirement stories. I wish the best for Best at Law, and I certainly will be sending a Valentine's Day card to the Double L horses February 14th.

23 Jan 2010 10:10 PM
LouAnn Cingel

This is just an absolutely wonderful thing for the rescue horses.  I am getting a Valentine's Day card to send to the horses with my donation inside. I hope a lot of people read and know of this and participate as every dollar will help. My love and prayers go out to these horses and to those who watch out and care for them.

God's Blessings!

24 Jan 2010 8:34 AM
easygoer

Great story! Hope everyone can send a Valentine's card with at least a dollar to support the fantastic work that is done here

24 Jan 2010 3:00 PM
Dawn

Local rescue groups like this one do more for horses, dogs, cats etc in one week than PETA does in a whole year!! Of course, these local groups care more about the care and feeding of the animals in their care than they do about getting their mugs on TV. I just wish that REAL rescue groups got at least half the money the PETA get each year!

24 Jan 2010 3:11 PM
aspradling

Hey, just wanted to mention there were a few posts unpublished. Nothing personal, just wanted steer clear of slaughter debate on this post. There could be photos coming soon for Orion, so stay tuned!

25 Jan 2010 10:46 AM
Shannon from Double L

Wow! Thanks for the wonderful story on our special gray guy! We have 15 horses living here at the rescue right now and several in other spots needing homes. The great comments are lifting me up on this raining day. To think our horses have so many friends who care about them even though they may never meet them give me hope for the humane race.

25 Jan 2010 10:59 AM
Deby

Shannon is a great gal.  My husband knows her and i had met her at the Saratoga race track a few summers ago.  The work she does is exceptional.  We will be sending Valentines to her program.

25 Jan 2010 11:50 AM
LACS70

If all posters will send at least a dollar, I'm sure Double L will greatly appreciate it! I checked out the link to Double L and read many of the posts. I would love to have seen an update on Simone the mare that was rescued in June 2009.

26 Jan 2010 12:52 PM
After the Finish Line

I remember Best at Law. He was renamed Denny by his first adopter in Penn. He came off the Finger Lakes racetrack.

Here's the story behind the rescued mare and her newborn foal...I was vacationing in Maui and received a very early morning phone call asking if I would pay the ransom to buy both horses for the rescue. Of course I paid to save them! The mare was named after me, Dawn. The foal was named Willie as in "will he or won't he survive". Unfortunately Dawn endured too much neglect and abuse to survive and had to be humanely euthanized. Her feet were in such horrible condition. I'm glad to see that Willie is doing well.

Dawn Mellen, President

After the Finish Line®

10153 Riverside Drive, Suite 397

Toluca Lake, CA 91602

dawn@afterthefinishline.org

www.afterthefinishline.org

26 Jan 2010 7:31 PM
Shannon from Double L

Just wanted to say thanks! Your cards have started to arrive in the mail. It is so much fun to see where they come from! To answer a few questions- There are 15 horses here right now. Every stall is full including a very skinny Arabian mare we just took in. (She only has one eye too!) Simone made a full recovery and is with her adoptive forever family in VT. She live on a beautiful farm with 3 other horses. Thanks again to everyone. If anybody is in the Saratoga area this season call us up and come and visit our horses!

29 Jan 2010 3:38 PM
Shannon from Double L Equine Rescue

WE have a winner! Gerry from SC was the winner of the TSC gift card and she wanted to donated it back to the rescue. Thanks to everyone!

23 Mar 2010 2:56 PM
Sharon

have you seen a chestnut standardbred mare 1999 Tattoe VF103?  if so please furnish any info on her.

02 Aug 2010 10:47 PM