Pyro's Big Island

Anyone who has read my blog for the past few years or knows me personally, knows just how big of a Pyro fan I am. We have not heard much on him since he has been retired to stud.

Well, I have an update from a great friend. So thanks to Amanda for the inside information.

The challenge is that the website is in Japanese, since he is now standing in Japan of course. Thankfully I have some really good friends who I have worked with and have lived in Japan. So a shout out to Jeremy and Aya for helping me translate the article so I can spread the news on to you.

The original site with really nice photos can be found here:

The summary of the article goes something like this,

"Pyro arrived in Japan for stud duty on January 29th, 2010. He is by Pulpit, who also sired successful stallions Sky Mesa and Tapit. People in the United States wanted him [Pyro] to be a stallion in the USA, but since Japan gained a lot of support from Mr. Mohammed, he [Pyro] went to Japan. Japan paid 2,000,000 Yen (22,000 dollars) for Pyro to stand in JPN. It is the first time a Pulpit offspring has stood in Japan. Pyro can breed with Sunday Silence and Northern Dancer lines."

Japan seems to be pretty excited to gain a Pulpit line as well as a growing relationship with Sheikh Mohammed. If Pyro gets more lime-light for being in Japan versus being lost in the mix here in the US, I am all for it.

-------------------

I also wanted to share some items from around the community.

Here we have a fan made image that has Pyro the horse and Pyro the Comic Book hero together

From Facebook:

Photo: Pat DeLong/Crystal Jones

From Twitter:

wowhorse provided a link to a series of great photos:

Photo link

Blog link

Dave

I am a Pyromaniac myself, and hope him all the best in japan. Hopefully he can do as well as another of my favorites sunday silence.

04 Feb 2010 10:20 AM
FSF

I don't know, I was a huge fan of this horse too, but I didn't ever feel very satisfied with how he was handled since he went to the Sheikh. Including this move. Would have really liked to be able to see his foals race here.

04 Feb 2010 10:43 AM
Slew

Love Pyro...hope he does well.  Hope Einstein stays in the USA.

04 Feb 2010 10:57 AM
Nicole

Thanks for the wonderful blog! I completely adore Pyro. Followed him from the time he was a 2YO; he spent the vast majority of his three-year career frustrating me to no end and losing me money, but it was an excellent ride. I was so proud of him when he FINALLY won his Grade I this summer! I'm devastated that he's standing outside the country, but that's just for selfish reasons - I know they'll treat him wonderfully and he'll do well there. He looks great in his arrival photos!

04 Feb 2010 11:15 AM
It Aint Easy being good

Pyro was the man last year. I hate the fact they went to synthetics for a prep. His risen start race was one of the best I have ever seen going from last to first and listening to the announcer scream out pyro's last....never forget it! He as a true closer and was def. underrated!

04 Feb 2010 11:20 AM
CURLINLOVER

I saw Pyro in person in the Northern Dancer at CD in 2008; I went to see CURLIN - but got the added benefit of seeing Pyro as well; I am a Pyro fan and even named one of my cats for him.  I hope we can keep tabs on him and his progeny in the future.  Beautiful horse!

04 Feb 2010 11:50 AM
Dirt Dawg

Way to go Pyro! You da' Man!

The Bluegrass Stakes was a dumb move and it threw his confidence level outta' whack going into the Derby.Last yr's campaign was a disappointment,but with his quick turn of foot & pedigree,I feel he would've been a major turf miler.

Pyro Ichiban!!!

Hit It & Quit It Pyro

Hit It & Quit It.

04 Feb 2010 4:17 PM
Gail

A man after my own heart.  love this horse!!! I was devastated to see him sent to Japan. Although they certainly did right by Sunday Silence, he would not have gotten that far here. What I would like to know is, what arrangements have been made for him when his stud duty is over. Coming home would be the right thing.

04 Feb 2010 6:05 PM
Cheri

I really hate to hear that Pyro went to Japan. Just hope he doesn't end up like Ferinand.

13 Apr 2010 10:03 PM