Hot EP

Lane's End Stakes (gr. 2) Thoughts

I have been aching for a Rock Hard Ten to really show himself to be a Derby contender, because I LOVE Rock Hard Ten! I want his first 3YO crop to have representation in the Run for the Roses. So Doubles Partner (by Rock Hard Ten, Serena's Sister by Rahy) will be a major favorite of mine in this race.

Let's not forget what Doubles Partner did recently in race 8 at Gulfstream on Feb. 17th. He beat his fellow Rock Hard Ten -- Krypton, who I was cheering to win. Oh and who else was in that race that Doubles Partner beat? Lentenor. Any other factors I will consider? Well, this Gulfstream race I mentioned was a turf race and the Lane's End Stakes will be on synthetic. Turf qualities should have a slight advantage.

Northern Giant or Connemara...both are by Giant's Causeway and I struggle to pick one Giant's Causeway to route for. Maybe we should just hype the Pletcher vs Lukas angle and have friends/colleagues battling for Derby bragging rights on the track?

I will also be shouting for Kettle River (by Congaree). My angle with Kettle River is simple...I am a fan of Congaree's offspring. Dean's Kitten is definitely one to watch in the Lane's End Stakes. As the litter of Kitten's Joys are proving themselves worthy of full attention.

Louisiana Derby (gr. 2) thoughts

I will give you three horses and only three.

Drosselmeyer - 6-2-2-1
Ron the Greek - 5-3-0-0
Hotep - 5-2-0-0
AP Indy + Eye of the Sphynx, by Smart Strike (by Mr Prospector) = Awesome

I'm not referring to strictly their records or that these horses are proven. I really want to see these three horses do well in this race. I doubt all three will earn enough cash to move into the Kentucky Derby, but one can wish.

Movie Trailer for Bubba Hotep. I am a Bruce Campbell fan, so here is a homage to both Hotep and Bruce Campbell.

---

Jedi Games won a race recently and is one of my Star Wars horses I follow. Here is a shout out to him.

merlinmerry

Bruce Campbell is a god and Bubba Ho-Tep was one of the funniest and strangely touching movies I have ever seen.  For that alone, I have to root for Hotep. His pedigree is merely icing on the Campbell cake.

26 Mar 2010 1:14 PM
Slew

Cute! Love it! Like Hotep second to Ron the Greek.

26 Mar 2010 2:24 PM
skipaway2000

I used to work at Graceland. We called the guys who dressed like Elvis "Bubba Hoteps" (not the pros, but the ones who looked kind of ridiculous).  In honor of that, I MUST pick HOTEP for the LA Derby & I applaud your taste in film!

26 Mar 2010 5:16 PM
John T

Hotep is being prepared for the

Queen,s Plate at Woodbine,run this year in July because of the presence of her Majesty The Queen.

He should be able to improve on his last run though in the Louisiana Derby.

26 Mar 2010 9:22 PM
marktoothaker

Stay Put in Louisiana is one to keep an eye on.

26 Mar 2010 9:48 PM
murftheturf

Hotep has no hope. He's only conditioning for the Queen's Plate - Canada's derby. The La Derby goes through Fly Down. If the Greek wins this race you know everybody else is a camel who can be tossed at CD.

26 Mar 2010 10:11 PM
wendyg

I'm with you, I have been a Rock Hard Ten fan since he raced with Smarty Jones.  I wanted Smarty to win, but RHT was my second favorite, and I followed him throughout the rest of his career.

26 Mar 2010 11:50 PM
datflippinrabbit

Hotep will win at good odds he's flying under the radar with unrespected in the US jock Husbands,champion at woodbine.

27 Mar 2010 6:02 AM
Dawn in MN

Every year, I start following the three year olds in the fall, and in January I start a list of my own top ten three-year-olds.  Hotep caught my eye.  His conformation and pedigree are great.  I love Hotep.  He first appeared on my February Triple Crown list.  If he makes it I think he can take the Kentucky Derby, and the Preakness, not so sure about the Belmont though.

27 Mar 2010 9:04 AM
Dawn in MN

p.s. Ron the Greek is no slouch either.

27 Mar 2010 9:06 AM
murftheturf

Hotep is only in early prep for the Plate. He gets nothing today. Greek will be lucky to be on the board as the race goes through Fly Down for 2-turn Nick.

27 Mar 2010 1:41 PM
Slew

Loved Rock Hard Ten...so far, the colt doing the best...New Madrid...even looks like daddy.  His fillies, on the other hand, have been doing very well.

My Ron got the pace, he just couldn't push past 6th...again!  I think I have to finally let him go as one of my favorites.  I've got to say, yesterday, the Fair Grounds had the best music and food.  The only horse that I chose who actually won was Quiet Temper. (of course I had counted on another duel with Jody Slew who was not her self yesterday).

28 Mar 2010 8:44 AM