War Admiral Video and Helmet Awareness

---

While attending the American Horse Publications convention over the weekend, I was able to network with a lot of cool horse peeps. One of which was Lyndsey White. She informed me on a big event occurring named "riders4helmets National Helmet Awareness Day" on July 10th, 2010. Lyndsey said, This is the first time the helmet manufacturers have come together to offer discounts and the more people that know about it the better. We might just save some lives!  I really want people at the racetrack to know about it so they can take advantage of the discounts and get new/upgraded helmets.

Let's all join in this effort to let horse people know they can save for a few weeks to purchase a new helmet. There have been a lot of injuries to jockeys in the past few years. There have also been a lot of big injuries on the US Equestrian teams. Learn more on their Facebook page.

Brian Appleton

Thank you so much for the War Admiral video, he is still underrated I believe. Fantastic to see all his Triple Crown races!!

22 Jun 2010 6:21 PM
Golden Gate

What a wonderful video of War Admiral. Thankyou for sharing it.

Also I have had two concussions coming off a "gentle" horse that got frightened.  The doctor said I surely would have died without a helmet on.

22 Jun 2010 7:14 PM
Stacey

Most upper level dressage riders don't wear helmets, but after Olympic veteran Courtney King-Dye spent nearly a month in a coma after fracturing her skull in a freak accident while riding a young horse, ASTM approved helmets suddenly began appearing in great numbers on the prestigious winter show circuit in Wellington, FL.

And it was not just the lower level amateurs wearing them. Some of the top riders in the US and Canada wore them not just in the warm up for their internationally recognized FEI classes, but some actually wore them in place of the traditional top hat with their tail coats.

It's hard to say how long this helmet "trend" will continue, but in the dressage community the silver lining of a terrible accident was a brutal reality check and increased awareness in traumatic head injuries and the importance of wearing an approved helmets with a harness.

Thank you for the War Admiral video. I was nice to hear Jim McKay's voice again.

22 Jun 2010 8:29 PM
Lyndsey

Thank you so much for sharing this Adam. The website is www.riders4helmets.com

22 Jun 2010 8:41 PM
Linda

Thank you for the great video. Hum. 20 horses ran in that derby.  He broke from the number one post.  War Admiral overcame all of the obstacles todays thoroughbred cannot.  They just dont make em like him or train horses like they used to.

22 Jun 2010 9:42 PM
goodwin

After what happened to Courtney King-Dye, even the upper level Olympic dressage riders, like Sue Blinks, are leaving the top hat behind, and donning the helmet. We lost Ricardo Amaya.

Please wear a helmet.

period.

23 Jun 2010 12:44 AM
Otherlyn

Thank you for sharing this treasure!  Where in the world does one find such gems?  WAR ADMIRAL is breathtaking.  I am now eager to learn more about this "most-est horse.'  God Bless 'Em All!

Your FOB Fren, O

23 Jun 2010 1:32 AM
Bellwether

GREAT U TUBE...GOOD PUBLIC SERVICE TOO...LONG LIVE THE KING!!!...ty...

23 Jun 2010 3:31 AM
Slew

Is that Jim McKay I hear?...great clip.  Now...exactly what does a film of War Admiral have to do with helmet safety?  Maybe a more in depth blog was needed?

23 Jun 2010 9:27 AM
s lee

What a great video, thanks!  I'd never seen War Admiral's Derby and Preakness.

23 Jun 2010 5:03 PM
txhorsefan

Thanks for a great video, Adam!  I love those old newsreel footage races even though they are grainy and hard to see.  It's our only chance to glimpse the great ones from the past.  Thank you for digging it up and sharing it with us.

23 Jun 2010 5:45 PM
TerriV

What a great video!!!  I've never seen War Admiral's Triple Crown all together like that.  Well done piece of equine racing history.  Just loved it!

23 Jun 2010 5:50 PM
PMAC14

Awesome!

23 Jun 2010 8:57 PM
Jacquibs

I wonder if American breeders could take a lesson from August Belmont II and seek out stout English blood. How much does a date with Yeats cost?

23 Jun 2010 9:05 PM
Deborah

The War Admiral video is just great!  It is too bad that they do not run this way now; 11 races at 4!  Why are so many retired at 3?  That Seabiscuit was a great one, too.  Both of these small stallions were so full of stamina; Man O War sure produced good ones!  It is time to get busy and breed and train some horses like these were for today's track.  People are tired of these wimps that run a few and retire.

Deborah

23 Jun 2010 9:25 PM
Leon Abadie

Thanks for the video of War Admirals achievements. Truly spectacular. I got really interested in racing in 1946. It was a wonderful time to start following the Sport. The big stables were Calumet, William G Hellis, Mainchance Farm,F.W. Hooper,and many other topnotch stables. It was the Golden Era for racing.

23 Jun 2010 10:29 PM
christy tate

really neat to see the old racing footage. glad there's a helmet campaign. i've always been a big supporter of people wearing protective gear for any sport.

23 Jun 2010 11:43 PM
Bellwether

GOOD STUFF...ty...

24 Jun 2010 11:08 AM
Lynn

Loved it!  Wonderful history and two wonderful horses.

24 Jun 2010 12:53 PM
LadyValtaya

What a nice little video of War Admiral! Thanks for posting it. And about the helmets, you can never be too careful around horses. Whether they are backyard pets or runners safety is important so this is a great idea. ^_^

24 Jun 2010 1:36 PM
longtimeracingfan

Wow, what a great video... and did you notice the way they were loaded in the starting gate for the Derby? NO GATES; a handler at the head of every horse. And the race with Seabiscuit--- was a walk-up start. Can you see THAT these days? Can you hear the squawks?

Thanks so much for sharing this!! Can you put it in a video archive so we can access it in future?

Absolutely support the helmets. I started out western and bareback, without a helmet (was before helmets, truth be told!) and came off many a time, and now looking back it is a bit surprising I didn't have worse injuries than I did.... thankfully no head injuries, but that's just a matter of chance.

BUT--- that said, you still won't see western riders in helmets, and some of the disciplines are as tricky as the English ones and racing... part of it is the saddles, the seat is much more secure than an English or racing style.

24 Jun 2010 2:26 PM
spitting the bit

That was great!  Thanks for sharing it.

24 Jun 2010 5:34 PM
merlinmerry

I've always thought that it was such a shame that the movie Seabiscuit had to do such a nasty number on the Admiral.  I almost choked on my popcorn when the film's characters spoke of the "almost 18 hand giant," War Admiral.

25 Jun 2010 8:13 AM
whoapony

Thanks for the video and the reminder of the importance of helmets.  Recently, Courtney Kind-Dye, a dressage rider who represented the U.S. in the Olympics, suffered a severe head injury when the horse she was riding tripped.  Racing and the different equestrian sports that involved jumping are much better about using safety gear than western and dressage riders.  Ms. King-Dye's accident has started a push for dressage riders to wear helmets in training and competition.  I hope all readers of this blog strap on a helmet whenever they ride, no matter easy the ride or quiet the horse.

This video is a trip down memory lane for me.  It's from a video I own called "Jewels of the Triple Crown" narrated by Jim McKay.  It's a great overview of the lives and careers of all eleven winners of the crown told by a racing legend.  Find a copy and check it out if you can.

25 Jun 2010 10:42 AM
aspradling

I apologize for my delay in approving everyone's comments!!! That is totally my fault.

Thank you for the memories and I will always advocate a helmet on a horse, on a bike or on a motorcycle. Hell's Angel or not =)

25 Jun 2010 11:30 AM
Robin from Maryland

Neat little video.  War Admiral was a chip off the ol block in his racing ability, but I'm not sure about his overall stallion stats.  We also need to remember that in the Belmont, WA grabbed a quarter tore half his hoof off,and still won - Big Heart!!!  Evidently had blood splattered everywhere upon post race exam.  As a former rider, Hunt seat and cross country I always wore a helmet and it had all the scrapes on it.  I currently work in an ER and cannot stress enough the use of helmets for any activity/sport that would have a chance of head injury.  The brain is a terrible thing to waste.

25 Jun 2010 10:24 PM
morris stiles

as a ex jockey, and life long horseman,in multiple disciplines, ihave to say. i probaly would not be here, if it werent for the old brain bucket, skid lid,dirt bonnet or whatever they are called. the bad thing is the manafactors have priced the avrege person out of the market.have you priced a helment for a child lately?

06 Jul 2010 11:36 AM