Krypton A Super Colt?

Krypton

"Super Man" is the middle name my sister wished to give me after being born. Although my parents said no to this, her being almost 4 at the time, My sister adorned me with "Isaac" after the very cool waiter from the hit TV series Love Boat.

My sister has an interesting obsession with Superman, not unhealthy, but noteworthy. So this life long exposure is enough of a reason to fall for this horse. Alas, there is yet another reason - the fact he is by Rock Hard Ten.

Of any horse I have met on the many horse farm tours and open houses over the years, I deem Rock Hard Ten the gentle giant. He is a beautiful horse, dark in color and chilled like a skater. Did I mention massive?

When my co-worker "Marta" followed Rock Hard Ten for our Maiden Watch project, the name Krypton naturally caught my eye. This horse was going to be a special colt. Rock Hard Ten's first crop of Two-Year-Olds were a little slow in developing, but I knew Krypton would get there somehow.

I had the joy of calling him out to Draynay and Jason at Keeneland during the spring meet on April 2nd, 2010. I Suggested they lay some dough on this trackstar. Of course Krypton won and Jason did pick him, so he seemed satisfied that day.

Now, with several races under his belt and a few nice payoffs from the track, Krypton is a story to exclaim!

Photo: Rick Samuels

Why all the hype? Aside from the sentimental value I have with him, look at his progress. He finished third to two major Stakes contenders in the Virginia Derby. A step up in class and proof he can possibly hold his own with Grade I company on the turf. Watching horses rise through the ranks from Maiden to Stakes and then competing with notable graded competition is compelling.

When examining his race record over the past two years, you can see a clear pattern emerge. Although he is 5 for 10 lifetime, each race he gradually improved. If he was entered in the same level of race, say a Maiden or Allowance, he increased his finish position. If Krypton won a race, he was bumped up to a new level of competition on the track. Competition in either race type (Maiden to Allowance or Allowance to Stakes) or notable horses in the race. The one exception could be his Vision Stakes race from 2009. To me that race was clearly too quick of a move. He went from a Maiden win to a Stakes race. Possibly good experience, but his growth from Allowance to Stakes this year makes much more sense.

Krypton will improve from here and he may be at best a Grade II winner over time, I think he has something to prove among Grade I talent during his career.

Story: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/57956/paddy-oprado-too-tough-in-va-derby

Watch the replay.

Who is catching your eye right now?

That Handicapping Show for the Virginia Derby:

[brightcove videoid="115512246001"]

Caption: Rock Hard Ten with Julia

----

Following Photos Courtesy of Melissa Graeff.

Susan

I'm with you. Krypton ran a very good third the other day to a couple of very nice horses.  I think he is progressing nicely, and I think there's more upside there. He looked just a tad unfocused in the stretch, got stuck behind Interactif for a couple of strides, then had to angle out. The distance didn't bother him, I think he just needs a little more seasoning. I really get the feeling he's still learning. I'm a big fan of his, and I look for an even better effort next time out.

19 Jul 2010 10:42 AM
Aleine in VA

Krypton was both impressive and GORGEOUS at Colonial Downs on Saturday (7/17)!  Finished in the money and well deserved acclaim.  Love this one.

19 Jul 2010 12:00 PM
Greg J.

Adam,

I am glad your sister went with the cool waiter Isaac rather then the geeky Yeomem Pursor, Gopher!  Even though Kal-EL would have been cool!

I agree, Krypton is still learning and will be a force to reckon with once he gets it all figured out.  A Grade 1 win is not out of the question, patience...

19 Jul 2010 12:09 PM
Criminal Type

I am with you, I love Rock Hard Ten. He is a stunning animal and yes, like you said, totally massive. I expected his offspring to have talent. Krypton is a very nice colt and he is not alone. RHT also has Doubles Partner, New Madrid and a few others. I think his book will get better in the next couple years because of the success of his first two crops. He has a bright future and so do his babies.

19 Jul 2010 12:10 PM
Trebloc

Bred my mare to Rock Hard Ten this year, so I have been enjoying watching his offspring race.  Any word on Doubles Partner?

19 Jul 2010 12:26 PM
Lmaris

While Krypton is a decent colt, it was Paddy O'Prado going by him like he was standing still that impressed me.

Love Rock Hard Ten, and enjoy watching his babies run.  Also looking forward to the other giant, Bellamy Road's babies...

19 Jul 2010 3:03 PM
aspradling

Lmaris: I admit I am bias, but that stretch run in general was amazing to watch. When it was all over with, my exact words out loud, "Wow, what a great race!"

Greg J.: Thanks for the encouraging thoughts. Now I know the truth about your origins...or birth name.

Suzanne, Criminal, Aleine: What did you think of the stretch run in general? Thanks for the input on the race.

19 Jul 2010 3:09 PM
Flora

I LOVE Rock Hard Ten and I have been keeping track of as many of his "kids" as I can! Krypton is one of the best and certainly the most chip-off-the-old-block lookalike so far. I expect that these horses will improve with age in the way most in this line do, because of their size and late blooming development.

19 Jul 2010 4:03 PM
Anne

Same here Flora. I saw one(out of who knows many) of his colts-looked exactly like him.

19 Jul 2010 6:28 PM
skyfire

He's a lovely horse - wait till he turns 4, matures and come in to himself!!  We never got to see the best of Rock Hard Ten; he got better and better:  3 for 3 at four.  These big horses (like Zenyatta) need time for their best.

19 Jul 2010 7:52 PM
Glassoniongirl

I was there! ^.^ Paddy was my pick, but I was also there to see Stately Victor and Interactif, I saw Krypton and thought he was probably a really good horse, since then I`ve added him to my list of horses to watch. :)

19 Jul 2010 10:38 PM
RockHardTen Groupie

I have been obsessed with RHT since his second in the Santa Anita Derby (sigh, dern DQ) and was rooting for a Derby bid the entire rest of the way.  As his father did, Krypton looks to be a late bloomer.  I only wish we could have seen RHT crush St Liam for the second time, in the BC Classic and get his HOY honors.  I remember getting the news from a friend in the industry before the announcement was made official... I literally cried while getting my oil changed LOL.  Looks like he will have a baby get there in the next few years... that will have to do ;)

Another sire I have to admit is amazing me with his first crop is Bluegrass Cat's babies.... are they lighting up the tracks or what?

19 Jul 2010 11:19 PM
Bellwether

"ROCK HARD ALL NITE"!!!...

20 Jul 2010 5:10 AM
aspradling

Everyone can read more mentions and thoughts on Krypton at our Maiden Watch blog. A LOT of good stuff there.

cs.bloodhorse.com/.../default.aspx

I am excited to see so many RHT fans here!

Glassongirl: What were your thoughts on Stately?

Bellwether...only you lol.

20 Jul 2010 8:46 AM
Criminal Type

Adam,  I am humbled that you would ask my opinion. Im no expert, just a horse lover and racing fan.

I watched the race again once they hit the top of the stretch, Krypton accelerated and was pretty much keeping pace with Paddy o'Prado(who I think will be a major turf star, I love his pedigree) then it looked to me like the hole Krypton was aiming for closed up and he was stopped. I think someone else mentioned he may have been distracted in the race. What's your opinion, was he stopped or was he gawking at the grandstand ? After he got going again he was gaining on Interactif and the horse who eventually finished fourth (I forget his name). It was a great stretch run, I rate it an 8 on the goosebump scale. But my favorite stretch drive will always be Easy Goer and Sunday Silence, Preakness 1989.

20 Jul 2010 9:48 AM
Slew

Rock Hard Ten???   Absolutely have loved him since the first time I saw him.  If I remember correctly, he didn't fully mature until he was 4....and became the biggest colt to ever race.  Wow!  I now follow his kids.  While I find the fillies going for the glory at 3, the colts seem later maturing and a bit distracted in their runs, but they do keep improving.  He's such a busy sire.  I like Krypton; he was so easy to spot in the race.  But I also like New Madrid, Doubles Partner, etc.  Krypton, however, appears to be the most promising.  I thought he did very well at Colonial.  And the turf seems to suit most of them.  Azurite is also a rising filly star, along with Hard Way Ten. And so many look like Daddy.  Keep Rockin'!

20 Jul 2010 10:01 AM
Slew

I should add, I had high hopes for Stately Victor but was sorely disappointed in his run.  I'm hoping to see some improvement soon.

20 Jul 2010 10:03 AM
Ann in Lexington

"Watching horses rise through the ranks from Maiden to Stakes and then competing with notable graded competition is compelling."

A group of us had contact with the trainer Don Chatlos through the old "Road to the Roses" message board and he kept us apprised of the progress of his unraced 2yo named Singletary. So we were on board with the colt for his $60(?) maiden win, his early stakes races, the misguided attempt to make him a Derby horse, all the way up to his Breeders' Cup Mile win. It was almost like we owned a piece of the horse - he was 'ours'.

20 Jul 2010 10:28 AM
Louie Dula

I like to take photos of the horses so when I saw in the Gulfstream program that he was by the great Rock Hard Ten I couldn't wait to see him.  He was simply gorgeous to look at, just like his Dad.  I told everyone that they should keep an eye on him after I saw him run because he reminded me alot of his Dad so I'm very pleased that he's doing so well and can't wait to see him again down here at Gulfstream.

23 Jul 2010 11:27 AM
Glasman

I'm a fan of Interactif and tuned in to watch the video of him winning the Hall of Fame. But I was very impressed with Krypton's effort in that race. You could tell he wanted it and kept trying hard. He'll find his spot soon if he keeps that form.

14 Aug 2010 11:23 AM