Korean Horse Racing Movie: Grand Prix

With the United States anticipating the release of Secretariat, let's shift focus on another country's new horse racing movie. Korea.

Movie Trailer:

Overview:

Grand Prix basically follows the course of a girl's determination to be the first prominent female jockey in Korea. Seo Joo-Hee suffers a breakdown to her favorite horse during a race and has to battle through emotions to come back to the track and fight for her dream. There is also a romance tied to the story with a male jockey who's name is Woo-Seok.

The actress playing Seo Joo-Hee is Kim Tae-hee (pictured left) and is quite popular in Korea. She has a bachelor degree in fashion designing but grew into acting by various tv series roles.

The Korean Racing Authority (KRA) is supporting the movie, and I think that is a smart move for Korean horse racing. This movie will definitely draw the young crowd with "Korea's most beautiful woman" harnessing lead actress. Follow KRA on Twitter @korearacing

View more photos at:

Asian Wiki:

Matthew

I have seen great horse racing movies and television series in the past. My favorite movies or television series that involves with horse racing are "Seabiscuit", "Phar Lap", which is a movie about a great Australian champion racehorse from 1929-1932. Also, I would like to see the movie "Secretariat" this upcoming October. There is another horse racing movie that is my favorite, "Dreamer", because Trevor Denman called the races from that movie. In addition, I also see some television series from overseas, like in Hong Kong, they created a series called "Racing Peak", but the racing scenes was filmed in Malaysia and it told the story about this racehorse owner try to achieve his dream along with this racehorse. Another television series was called "Race-Course Fever" which talked about the trainers operated race fixing company,and the process of keeping the sport away from race fixers.  hope in the future, there will be a movie company create a film about legendary Bill Shoemaker, which will also be another great horse racing movie.

05 Aug 2010 6:04 PM
Justine

Oh wow, Kim Tae-hee in a horse racing movie in Korea? I have to see this.

05 Aug 2010 6:39 PM
MH

Very interesting! How'd you ever stumble across something like that?

05 Aug 2010 7:44 PM
Mike Relva

HELLO ADAM

Who does the song for this movie?

05 Aug 2010 9:42 PM
Joe

what ever happened to a stallion named HAPPY JAZZ BAND exported to Korea about 1993?

06 Aug 2010 2:15 PM
aspradling

Mike, I have looked a lot for the song name and have not been able to find it. I will keep an eye out.

Joe:

As far as sale history, this is what I could find on locations for Happy Jazz Band:

1994 Southwest Stallion Station

South Korea

2006

KRA Jeju Stud Farm

06 Aug 2010 2:26 PM
Gulchfan

Was the breakdown from a real race, or did they stage it for the film?  If the former, at least no additional horses were hurt/killed, though it seems tasteless to me to capitalize on a real horse's actual fall and probable death.  If the latter, do they have a Humane Association there that oversees the use and safety of animals in movies?  If not, if real horses (as opposed to mechanical or CGI ones) were made to fall (possibly multiple times) for filming purposes, unsupervised by an agency interested only in animal welfare (not that I'm under the illusion that the American Humane Association is completely trustworthy), we should boycott this film.

06 Aug 2010 8:05 PM
korearacing

If you can track it down, I strongly recommend the 2006 Korean film "Gak-seol-tang" ("Lump Sugar") - also about a female jockey and also part-funded by the KRA. Some of the racing scenes are quite amazing.

Happy Jazz Band is still on Jeju Island although I believe he's been retired from stud duties now. He covered his last mares last year.

07 Aug 2010 1:21 AM
Bellwether

EXPO$URE...EXPO$URE...EXPO$URE... ESPN(TV N GEN.)STILL CAN'T QUIET GET THE ENTIRE PICTURE...THEY WILL...LONG LIVE ZENYATTA BABY!!!...ty...

08 Aug 2010 4:59 AM
aspradling

Gulchfan: There are animal rights groups all over the globe, so I am sure they were on set. The trailer does not show the breakdown, but actually shows a horse laying down on a track and lifting it's head. You can tell pretty well it is following a trainer's instructions and is not in any pain. Just acting.

Korearacing: Thank you so much for coming and posting! I hope you gain some exposure through this post. The last Korean film I saw, and loved was Tae Guk Gi. I like a lot of the martial art films as well. Especially the fantasy sword play. Anyway, I will look for Gak-seol-tang.

09 Aug 2010 4:21 PM
Gulchfan

At 0:18 in, there is what appears to be racing footage showing a breakdown.  I don't know if that's supposed to involve the 'story' characters, or was just to show a fall, but it looks like real footage to me.

11 Aug 2010 12:17 PM
aspradling

Gulchfan: There is possible splicing of a real race footage fall into the movie with the acting horse laying on the track.

11 Aug 2010 1:49 PM
korearacing

Oh dear.

Gulchfan. Both the Korean film and racing industries are very advanced. Especially the film industry has the resources and the technology to create extremely realistic looking scenes. No horses were hurt during production of this movie – to have done so would have been just as much a crime in Korea as in the US.

If you take a look at the racing scenes in this movie and in the 2006 movie Gak-seol-tang, you will see that they are probably the best racing scenes ever in a movie.

Look at Gak-seol-tang and you will also see extremely vivid scenes of a jockey being trampled to death under an onrushing field. It’s a very distressing scene to watch but did they kill a human to get the shot? Of course they didn’t. And neither did they kill horses to get a good shot in this movie.

The accident scenes are not taken from real race footage, they are completely computer generated. The ground scenes are done, as correctly pointed out above, using trained horses.

13 Aug 2010 1:18 PM
greg

I certainly enjoyed the way you explore your experience and

knowledge of the subject! Keep up on it. Thanks for sharing the info

04 Feb 2011 10:32 PM