Mywifenosevrything vs Thewifedoesntknow UPDATED

UPDATE: Here is an interview with Larry Collmus from The Early Show on CBS from 8/26/2010.

Originally posted 8/24/2010 8:53am.
So is your money on that your "wifenos" or "doesntknow" ?

Monmouth park held a duel of conscience.

Thewifedoesntknow is by Golden Missile and out of Aheadnotatail with a lifetime record of 12-2-3-2, $58,080.

Mywifenosevrything is by Najran and out of Rose Jade with a lifetime record of 10-3-1-2, $65,500.

You can read more in our BloodHorse.com story.

Caption: Mywifenoseverything holding off Thewifedosntknow to win the 7th race Sunday, at Monmouth Park.
Photo: Equi-Photo

Remember another classic call? Here is an older blog post to refresh your memory.

Slew

What a great race and an unbelievable race call.  I loved every second of it.  Kudos to the track announcer who had a mouthful of wickedly funny names.

24 Aug 2010 9:32 AM
RGGC

Larry is a great race caller who is underappreciated. He's one of the best!

Keep up the good work Larry!

24 Aug 2010 1:50 PM
annie

That race was FUN!

25 Aug 2010 9:02 AM
Big Lou

The most fun in over60+ yearsof listening and watching horse races.EXCELLENT LARRT

25 Aug 2010 10:15 AM
Judy G ~ California

Made me laugh! Great names for these two horses :-)

25 Aug 2010 12:20 PM
Lou in TX

This call even made the evening news with Diane Sawyer on ABC. It's soooo funny.  Great caller on that race.

25 Aug 2010 2:33 PM
Robin from Maryland

Loved the race call.  Got Tom D. beat by more than a furlong. Keep up the great calls.

25 Aug 2010 5:55 PM
diastu

Heard the call on the radio while getting ready for work - nearly blew toothpaste out my nose! Couldn't believe these two had absolutely no connection to each other. Talk about odds - what are the odds of two horses so uniquely named, unrelated in any way, running together, let alone one-two? Even my non-horsey friends are hooting.

25 Aug 2010 9:42 PM
Slew

I loved this video.  Now it has gone viral and international.  The sad part is that this one video has brought more national attention to horse racing from the media than the spectacular careers of Zenyatta and Rachel Alexandra combined.

26 Aug 2010 8:17 AM
Fuzzy Corgi

This was the most entertaining race call in decades! I'm so happy that a fun part of horse racing is becoming viral to those not normally entertained by horses.

Another really memorable race call was about 10 years ago from Ed Burgart at Los Alamitos. On one of Los Al's biggest nights of the year, The Champion of Champions, a HEAVY fog began rolling in. On a normal race night the races would have been cancelled, but the Champion of Champions was not a normal night. The race before the feature was a 6 1/2 furlong Arabian race that started in the chute before the grandstand and ran once around the track. The only problem was visiblity was down to about 50 feet. A camera man was positioned on the track about 60 feet away from the gate and then there were the typical cameras along the stretch. So the race call was a bit of a guessing game until the camera could even see the horses. Ed did an amazing job of quickly calling what he could see and then the horses ran past the grandstand into oblivion. Ed then effortlessly segwayed into pimping the next race for the showdown of the champions from across the nation. Finally the horses emerged from the fog and Ed called the finish. BRILLIANT!!

The final races were cancelled after the Champion of Champions was run but I will never forget it. Maybe someone at Los Alamitos will recall what year it was, dig through the arcives and post the race on You Tube.

26 Aug 2010 9:51 AM
anna

how is it sad? i don't think it's sad in anyway, because it brings fans to the sport and that's what horseracing needs.

26 Aug 2010 10:01 AM
Phil from Maryland

Sunday was our anniversary. She picked me out of the paddock, 29 nine yeares ago at Saratoga. So we always celebrate at the Laurel Buffet. Its a big deal for us because we line up folks to feed our mares and yearlings We saw the race and heard Larry's call. It made my day because you know my wife knows everything. Why, because she tells me so all the time. But always listens to who I like in the next race.

26 Aug 2010 10:12 AM
needler in Virginia

Slew.........you're right, but it DID get the attention. Sadly, we have to take what we can get these days. It's just that a lot of what we get isn't one HALF as interesting as this race, the call and the win........ but it damned sure got their attention, didn't it???????????

Cheers and safe trips.

26 Aug 2010 11:18 AM
AGS

This race call highlights how much fun horse racing can be!

26 Aug 2010 12:25 PM
MikeM

Years ago a race caller at A.C. or Garden State,(I don't remember which) would do the call while imitating Jackie Mason. VERY funny.

26 Aug 2010 1:31 PM
KAREN

Made me wish I had not retired 5 year old "Don't Tell My Wife"  He would have made a great trifecta with "Mywifeknowseverything" with "Thewifedoesn'tknow" with "Don't Tell My Wife".  Too bad that the kids won't give up riding him.

26 Aug 2010 2:22 PM
Love 'em all!

Cheers to Larry Collmus!  More people have enjoyed that video ... and have asked for more.

Well, where there's a wife, there's usually a mother-in-law ...

www.youtube.com/watch  ... "Onoitsmymothernlaw"

www.youtube.com/watch   .... the absolute classic "Hoof Hearted"

www.youtube.com/watch ...  "Doremifasollatido"

26 Aug 2010 3:04 PM
Larry Ensor

Maybe the powers that be will learn something from this

26 Aug 2010 6:31 PM
wolverine

i like a rematch between the two horses and hopefully the result is other way around.

nice call!!!

26 Aug 2010 9:33 PM
Joe K

No one has mentioned the outstanding call Mike Battaglia made at Churchill Downs in the mid 90's, when a young "Devils' Bag" firster named Ibn Shyton wired a maiden field.  The name, very roughly, in Arabic meant Son of Satan.  Displaying very good speed the youngster led wire to wire.  Battaglia not knowing if someone was pulling a joke, used about 10 different pronunciations at each and every point of call.  I Ben Shy the One, I Ben Shitoni, were just a few that I remembered.  He did about everything he could to not pronounce the name phoenetically.  People were talking then about his call as they were Larry Colmus' call from the weekend.  I overheard two old ladies speaking about it at dinner tonight.  Not too sad.  Maybe this kinda of humor brings folks to the track.

26 Aug 2010 11:58 PM
Slew

The fact that the video went national is great.  The sad part is the greatest athletes in the world are ignored, while the spotlight falls on a couple of silly names. (and a great call).  Yes, it drew attention...but it doesn't draw more fans into the sport.  It remains just a funny clip that went viral.

27 Aug 2010 8:42 AM
Ragsy

I watched the race and really loved it.  The announcer really got my attention.

Another horse that I have wondered about is "Hoof Hearted", a Dr. told me about him as a joke but I really wonder what happened to the horse..

27 Aug 2010 11:12 AM
LouAnn Cingel

I watched that race and Larry, you have absolutely outdone yourself-a magnificient job and so well done.  You are a one of a kind race caller-a true gem!

Hope to hear your calls for many, many more yrs.

Love & Blessings to you!

LouAnn Cingel of Union, Missouri

27 Aug 2010 1:00 PM
txhorsefan

Thanks for posting the video of the race plus the interview with Mr. Collmus!  When I first talked to my dad after we returned from our vacation, he asked me if I had seen the race because he had heard about it and he knows I follow racing.  I thought that was pretty cool - my dear old dad without TVG or HRTV had somehow heard about it and enjoyed it.  May both horses enjoy safe trips and long careers.

04 Sep 2010 10:49 AM
Abbie Knowles

A tremendous piece of commentating!

I love both horses but as Thewifedoesn'tknow is by Golden Missile who is one of Seattle Slew's dynasty I guess he/she gets the nod!

Some commentaries stick in the memory don't they?

Over here in England there was a Novice Steeplechase once and the horses were all jumping badly so the brilliant Richard Hoiles remarked "and it is all thud and blunder!"  A pun on the saying blood and thunder.  Have never forgotten that.

As you do in America we have some really great commentators over here!  You know Mark Johnson of course as he commentates on the Kentucky Derby!

Other great commentators over here include Aussie Jim McGrath, Simon Holt, Ian Bartlett, John Hunt, Simon Machin, Dessie Scahill, Tony O 'Hehir and others too but I cannot remember their names!

God bless you Adam, all on this blogsite and all at The Bloodhorse.

Best wishes