The Racing Game for All: Secretariat and Zenyatta

Discussing the term "The Racing Game" in the Thoroughbred industry, many people would relate the phrase to TOBA's amazing The Racing Game mission of Thoroughbred Ownership.

However I am talking about a virtual horse racing game. We have had this game on BloodHorse.com for over a year and people who play it seem to have a blast. I have personally played it and of course named the horse "Sumthingwonderful" =) The racing and training is fun, but it is especially neat to own your race horse and watch it's progress. Easy access and always on as you get to race against other real people online.

Aside from the game being a great product, I am mentioning it due to the holiday shopping season. The game is a great idea for those of you looking for something new and creative as a gift.

When I was talking with Mike Calderone, his vision and mission for this virtual racing game was founded on his interest and enjoyment of the sport. I also talked with Mike a few weeks before the Secretariat movie was released and he explained that he had some really unique deals getting ready to hit the market.

A packaged game in stores, bonus features on the Disney DVD Release of Secretariat, and most exciting to me was the race of champions. He has set up calculated races between Zenyatta and other Thoroughbred champions as well as Secretariat facing multiple champions. I did not expect the finish to result as it did, so the stretch run was very exciting! You have multiple camera angles and can customize how you view the race.

Mike sent a few more points to make about the Secretariat game specifically;

Jockey the greatest race horse that ever lived in some of his most memorable races, including some races in which he lost.

There are 12 races in total – 10 actual replications/simulations of career races that include all the Triple Crown races.  In addition, we created two fantasy races featuring some of the greatest champions that ever lived that Secretariat never competed against.

Every time you run the race, the race sets up differently based on your jockey instructions and how you ride Secretariat.

The game is fun for the whole family, whether hard-core enthusiasts or casual racing fans.

The game received rave reviews from Michael Ciardi, the producer of the “Secretariat” Disney film.

The game will work on just about any PC utilizing XP, Vista or Windows 7.

The game can be downloaded or a hard-copy CD can be purchased.

There is a link under our racing channel/section on the home page, but you can also just favorite this link to our page on BloodHorse.com.

I also want to point out that we are not being paid for have any angles in this post, I am genuinely interested and wrote this blog.

Citation

Citation should have won that race. Affirmed should have been second. Move Zenyatta to third and I fully agree with the simulation result. But there's no way she would have beaten Cy. I think that Citation was the greatest race horse of all time, hence the username.

24 Nov 2010 4:15 PM
Skyhawk

Its really too bad they haven't released it for Mac yet :(

24 Nov 2010 5:35 PM
PMAC14

If Zen could get that trip (HA) there are very few in the last 100 years who could have beat her.  Greastest NA female EVER.  Top 10 of all time(Could have been top 5 had they tested her more)

24 Nov 2010 8:13 PM
wendyg

I agree with Zen winning, but there is no way Ruffian would have been that far back at the end. She would die trying to win. I hope the game is more authentic than this.

25 Nov 2010 12:54 AM
Dick Hering

B.S. race, why were Cigar, Smarty jones, Big Brown & Barbero even in a race why what was called all time greats.  Zenyatta winning was also a joke over Big Cy & Affirmed & Seabiscuit.

25 Nov 2010 8:20 AM
blah blah blah

wrong results try again

25 Nov 2010 8:21 AM
Marianna Haun

Loved it but wanted Secretariat in the race.

25 Nov 2010 12:26 PM
Sam Anderer

We need versions of these games for the Mac platform:  Mac OS X 10.2 and up.  Also the iPad OS.  I was surprised at how I got caught up in watching the fantasy race of Zenyatta, Ruffian, Rachael Alexandre, etc.  I will have to give some thought as to  whether I want to become addicted to training and racing, showing, or otherwise interacting (taking on the responsibility) of having a horse or stable of horses.

25 Nov 2010 1:25 PM
Kurt

that was pretty cool!!!

25 Nov 2010 2:01 PM
C

Sorry, but no way would Zenyatta beat Ruffian, or most of the rest of these horses.  Affirmed won the Kentucky Derby a full second faster than Zenyatta lost this year's Breeders' Cup Classic.

25 Nov 2010 5:12 PM
carmncj

Thanks for sharing about this game.  I watched the clip and found myself really getting into the race!  I know it's only fantasy but it was cool to imagine all the greats on the track together.  Actually brought tears to my eyes!  What a wimp, huh?

25 Nov 2010 5:37 PM
r.f.

hogwash.citation and affirmed would've moped the floor with her on dirt.

25 Nov 2010 9:48 PM
Seether169

dont believe the results for one second.  zenyatta is good, but not that good.

25 Nov 2010 11:36 PM
Ponytails

I have done a lot of searching , but have yet to find or locate it. YES! it would make a wonderful gift if I could find it .

26 Nov 2010 9:03 AM
tbpartnerperson43

I'm a detail person so I was a bit put off by the coloration of some of the horses.  I tried to see if the horses were switching leads, but it's hard to tell.  I think Zenyatta won on her left lead, but I'm not sure.  If Pimlico ever looked like that it was a hundred years ago.  All in all, that was fun to watch.  It is a simulation, and a pretty good one.

26 Nov 2010 4:26 PM
Lmaris

Hope they plan to upgrade the game.  Zenyatta should not be still described as undefeated.  And what the heck are Smarty Jones or Big Brown doing there?   Nice horses, but in no way should they be included in the "best ever" category.  Only reason to even think of including Barbaro is his tragic loss and even that doesn't warrant his inclusion.

Where are Man O'War,  Seattle Slew,  Affirmed,  War Admiral,  Native Dancer,  Etc?

28 Nov 2010 10:35 AM
Lmaris

It is also laughable to have Zenyatta beating horses who ran far faster 10 furlong races during their careers than she ever did.  But apparently the marketing of games must include Zenyatta winning, no matter how improbable.

28 Nov 2010 10:39 AM
Fran Loszynski

Okay I just watched that race on this blog I have one question

"why isn't the great, the only, Afleet Alex in that race?!!!" Are there other races coming up? Maybe I missed it. If Alex isn't in these new simulcast games, then the public is missing out.

28 Nov 2010 4:52 PM
2:24

Cute race.  Don't think it would have gone close to that way though.  Zenyatta would have been about 30 lengths off of Ruffian's pace.  Think that Big Cy or Affirmed would have won that one.

My all time simulation race would be at 10 furlongs at Churchill Downs and would have this field (limited to 14):  Secretariat, Man O' War, Citation, Count Fleet, Dr. Fager, Seattle Slew, Affirmed, Spectacular Bid, Forego, Kelso, Native Dancer, Phar Lap, War Admiral and John Henry.

I wonder what they would do 3/4's in with Dr. Fager and Slew battling away and War Admiral at their flank, 1:07 and change?  I'd box Secretariat, Big Cy and The Bid for the tri in that one.

29 Nov 2010 3:43 PM
Yvonne and Maurice Kirby

I love this and how true!!!  Zenyatta is the Horse of the Century.

29 Nov 2010 4:25 PM
Mike

She couldn't beat Blame but she could be Secretariat and Affirmed.  LMAO

29 Nov 2010 4:30 PM
Neco

Yeah I don't like these results either :/ As much of a fan as I am of Zenyatta, I don't think she'd ever beat Citation, Affirmed or Ruffian.

I hope they'll include others like Native Dancer, War Admiral, Alydar and Seattle Slew. Only a fan of a few of the horses I saw in that simulation.

29 Nov 2010 6:57 PM
nina

Secretariat would win over Z hands down.

29 Nov 2010 9:34 PM
2:24

Fran:  Afleet Alex is my second favorite horse of all time.  Can't call him an all-time great though because of the shortened career.  Certainly he belongs in this race if the likes of Big Brown and Smarty Jones are included.

At 10 furlongs on a fast track at Churchill, I find it hard to believe anyone would beat Secretariat in his prime.  I admit that I am biased.  I think you could make a really good argument for Spectacular Bid (still holds the 10 furlong dirt world record) or Citation.

30 Nov 2010 10:10 AM
2:24

I think it would be interesting to have simulated races of 12 horse fields breaking the fields down by best 12 horses of the decade.

Some examples:

70's - Secretariat, Slew, Affirmed, The Bid, Forego, Ruffian, Riva Ridge, Cougar II, Exceller, Alydar, Canonero II, and Foolish Pleasure.

80's - John Henry, Genuine Risk, Sunday Silence, Easy Goer, Personal Ensign, Alysheba, Ferdinand, Risen Star, Swale, Lady's Secret, Landaluce, and Winning Colors.

90's - Cigar, Skip Away, Silver Charm, A.P. Indy, Unbridled, Real Quiet, Charismatic, Awesome Agaim, Silverbulletday, Arazi, Favorite Trick, Black Tie Affair.

00's - Zenyatta, Rachel Alexandra, Tiznow, Point Given, Afleet Alex, Big Brown, Smarty Jones, Ghostzapper, Invasor, Bernardini, Barbaro, and Summer Bird.

30 Nov 2010 10:24 AM
ZENYATTA

I DID NOT THINK THAT ZENYATTA WILL WIN I THIK THAT SEABISCIT WILL WIN ZENYATTA IS A GOOD FILLEY

01 Dec 2010 9:16 PM
Zenyatta

They did the race the correct way...Zenyata was in her usual spot...the back and then she won in the end by racing ahead!

16 Dec 2010 3:42 PM
Merry

Where's Zenny's fashion statement - her muff?

23 Dec 2010 1:18 AM
george

I love zenyatta,  but there is know way she win's this race.Also there is know way that Rachael finish's last. I have Ruffian winnig.

24 Dec 2010 1:06 PM
PomDeTerre

Love Z... but this is a crock.  It assumes the perfect trip for all horses, openings like the parting o the Red Sea, and leaves out Cigar's nemeisis, Skipaway.  WHY is Big Brown even there?

13 Jan 2011 11:34 PM
HorseRacingFan

yeah kind of poor field of runners should have had like 14 runners with good horses but had like one more filly in the race. But still loved it interesting but some of them i bet would have done better than on that race thing. But still thought it was cool

03 Feb 2011 10:59 PM
Michael McDonald

Good job that could really get different family members interested in blood lines and horse racing. It would bring many new sponsors and investors in the stud farms. I'm interested in making it happen if your looking for making it global. Thats where the real Business begins. You can even sell products over the game. To move Export and create comp for other cultural blood lines. It could be a huge Marketing tool for Racing. It could Be the beginning of a huge revenue booster. If you are looking for Angel Capital I would love to help.

11 Feb 2011 12:42 AM
andy

why they dont have mr.frisky in that race he was a great horse to.

13 Feb 2011 10:39 PM