Who's YOUR Derby Pick?

A few minutes ago, I posted some notes about Saturday's Kentucky Derby and name my favorites.

I'd like to know who you think should win it, based solely on pedigree.  Check out this week's poll.

AJ

1- Adriano

2- Cowboy Cal

3- Z Humor

4- Monba

5- Pyro

01 May 2008 2:38 PM
Laura

If I were to base my pick on pedigree alone, hands down it would have to be Adriano-and he is easy on the eyes!!

01 May 2008 2:42 PM
NJRich

I hate the 20 hole, but I'm going to stick with my now 1 1/2 month prediction of Big Brown winning the roses.  I don't quite see him as a "super horse" that he's made out to be, but I definitely see his as the strongest in a generally weak field. If he can grind the same pace as the Florida Derby I would have to say he'd probably finish around 2:00 - 2:01.  Smooth Air isn't a big name horse, but his previous Byers are pretty much on the same level as the rest of the Derby field which says that he's no slouch...signifying that BB has beaten "real" contenders.

Colonel John does strike me as a good horse, but his Byers just haven't been there and I don't think Gayego is going to get the slower pace that he's used to running in his routes.

I bet the house on BB's future pool, but Derby Day I'll probably throw him on top of an exacta w/ CJ, Pyro (high Byers against speed horses), and Z Fortune (who had an awesome showing at OP despite 4W on both turns).

01 May 2008 2:51 PM
johnnyz

1---Adriano

2---Colonel John

3---Court Vision

4---Monba

5---Denis Of Cork

01 May 2008 3:16 PM
The MD

Tough to overlook Eight Belles' pedigree. She's got it ALL in there:

Unbridled's Song - BC Juv, FL Derby

Unbridled- KY Derby

Caro & Dixieland Band - Both in the pedigree of Derby winner Monarchos.

Nothern Dancer on the dam side and Mr. Prospector 3x4...

Need I say more?

01 May 2008 3:17 PM
Mr. Freeze

NJRich - I understand your support of Big Brown, but based on pedigree would you really go with Big Brown?

I'd have have to go with Monba.  Although having a direct descent of Man o'War take the roses (Colonel John) would be pretty damn cool.

01 May 2008 3:24 PM
The Five-Cross Files

Blog trackback

01 May 2008 3:27 PM
DARLA

PYRO  VISIONARE BIG BROWN EIGHT BELLES  BOB BLACK JACK

01 May 2008 3:40 PM
Bud Miller

The race will be won by either Big Brown, Colonel John, Pyro or Court Vision.  I will use them on top in all exotic wagers.  Btw, I picked Street Sense to win last year.

• Scot's reply: Good job on Street Sense.  I picked him too -- my first Derby winner since Swale, sadly enough.  Come to think of it, he was the first since Swale who just gave me a gut feeling.  This year I have my favorites, but no gut feeling.
01 May 2008 5:49 PM
Dragon

I'll buy a racing form, keep the cover, ditch the rest and wait for Haskin's analysis on Friday night.  With a field of 20, I'll bet the money but let Steve do the rest.

01 May 2008 6:07 PM
Katy

On pedigree alone I'd say Court Vision.

01 May 2008 9:11 PM
PELE POLO

SMOOTH AIR!!!!!!!!!!

01 May 2008 10:06 PM
JOHN

On pedigree alone, Big Brown,wish he had more races in. He could be the next triple crown horse.  Cool Coal Man, Adrian,and Court Vision...

02 May 2008 12:08 AM
justin

Col. John-Bob Black Jack-Pyro

02 May 2008 1:21 AM
Mike

Hands down on pedigree...Adriano

02 May 2008 6:48 AM
marlene

8 Belles has an excellent pedigree but she should be running in the Oaks

02 May 2008 12:10 PM
pam

pyro, col. john, big brown. pyro has that big closing kick, col. john is stepping up and big brown hasn't proved to me anything remember curlin he needed more last year.

02 May 2008 10:27 PM

2-Smooth Air

3-Monba

4-Big Brown

5-Pyro

03 May 2008 1:04 AM
sirbarton

I agree with AJ, sans Adriano.

03 May 2008 8:51 AM
sirbarton

Oops! Make that an agreement with johnnyz, sans Adriano.

03 May 2008 8:53 AM
Thoroughbredfan

Based on pedigree, this is how I would like to see it

1- Big Brown

2- Adriano

3- Cool Coal Man

03 May 2008 10:07 AM
SlewFan

I like Adriano's breeding, by AP Indy who is by my favorite racehorse ever, Seattle Slew.  Also Big Brown's bloodlines are pretty cool, he appears to have some grass champions in there, Nureyv (i can't spell today), not real common bloodlines these days and I like that tracing back to Round Table, that's good thing. I think these two horses have the best bloodlines in the race.  Should be a pretty cool race.  The Oaks was awesome yesterday.

03 May 2008 1:00 PM