Thoroughbred Broodmare Pedigree Analysis Marathon

October is less than two days away, and with the change of month comes the release of the Keeneland November sales catalog.  For a Thoroughbred pedigree geek like me, the autumn breeding stock sales season easily beats the excitement of yearling auctions or horses-in-training sales.  (If pressed, I might even say the fall sales beat out Christmas, Mom's Thanksgiving dinner, and the Kentucky Derby....)

Every day for the next several weeks, I'll pick out a broodmare from one of the fall mixed sale catalogs to discuss -- briefly -- here on The Five-Cross Files.  We'll look at a few common elements of the catalog page -- the three cross pedigree (and a link to the five cross pedigree) ... the mare's  sire, sire line, dam, Thoroughbred family number, and broodmare sire ... her produce history ... and any standout siblings.

For in-foal mares I'd like feedback on whether the cross seems promising, and for open mares, we'll have fun picking out the best cross for 2009.

In all cases, I want to know what additional tools you'd use to evaluate the mare, in addition to the catalog page and a physical inspection. Would you order a nicking report for a broodmare prospect?  Would you use her Dosage profile to evaluate a broodmare?  What about produce records or  sales results or past performances for her racing offspring?  A broodmare sire report on the mare's sire?

I hope you'll check back frequently and take part in the discussion.  By the end of the series, we'll have covered a lot of ground and will have looked at mares of many different classes, aptitudes, and regional bloodlines.

Keep watching -- it all starts October 1.

Tammy

Christmas IS early!

29 Sep 2008 7:28 PM
Secretariat's Secretary

I look forward to it!

29 Sep 2008 9:13 PM
UCANDOIT

Great Idea, I am looking forward to your analysis!

29 Sep 2008 10:26 PM
dray33

Might I suggest you allow readers to submit their mares, and you pick one winner a week to do a complete analysis? That might be cool.

• Scot's response:  Please do offer suggestions -- and if you have a connection to the mare, even better!
29 Sep 2008 10:58 PM
Laura

I came across an interesting pedigree. I'm in no way affiliated with the people who have the mare. I received a starquine email and this mare was listed. I liked her body type (stayer) and looked her up.

Lily Martini (Mr. Jolie - Snow Colony, by Pleasant Colony) is a pretty, dark brown mare that appears stamina oriented. She earned $36K in 10 starts, finishing out of the money once. She has a 2008 filly by her side (by Greatness) and is in foal to Proud Accolade for 2009.

Her sire, Mr. Jolie, is direct tail line to Man O'War. Man O'War appears again as a sex-crossed balance through In Reality, and he also shows up through Lily Martini's second dam sire, Hoist The Flag. She has inbreeding top and bottom to Hyperion through Alibhai and bottom inbreeding to Ribot. Her fourth dam is Blue Hen Victorinna (great grand dam of Deputy Minister) and fifth dam is also a blue hen. She is an outcross for practically every popular sire line, including Northern Dancer (however, Nearctic is her third dam sire), Mr. Prospector, Seattle Slew, Storm Bird, Damascus, etc.

I'd love to see her bred to Tiznow, duplicating the In Reality cross.

• Scot's reply:  Lily Martini (pedigree) actually raced 24 times and was in the money 10 of them -- there's some durability here!  She is a 3-time winner of $36,425 and is half-sister to an amazing 10 other winners, including a grade III-winning half-brother.  As Laura mentions, this is the family 10-c line that also produced Deputy Minister, and in fact Lily Martini's third dam is bred on the same Nearctic/Victoriana cross as the great sire.  Might consider sending her to one of his sons.  The TrueNicks cross with Open Forum (SRO) is interesting (you can run the report free from his page on the Stallion Register Online).
30 Sep 2008 2:09 PM
catnip lane

Scott, I have 2 weanlings in the Nov sale.  I'd love to hear what others think of the the dams.  1537 is out of Lisieux and 1560 is out of Miss Delta Dawn

• Scot's reply:  I've posted a few notes about your sales weanlings and a couple of other readers' horses.  Thanks for the suggestion.
01 Oct 2008 7:56 AM
dray33

OK, I'll bite Scot! Allow me to throw my 3 mares into the ring.

Brushed Bayou (maybe the last stakes winning filly by Broad Brush). She is in foal (first foal) to Unbridled's Song.

Staria (Unbridled's Song mare) in foal to RAHY (hoping for a filly!) and

Perfectly Natural - newly retired.

They are mine, and any ideas appreciated!

• Scot's reply:  I've posted a few notes about your mares and a couple of other readers' horses.  Thanks for the suggestion.
01 Oct 2008 11:17 PM
The Five-Cross Files

Seven sires made the cut: they are clear leaders on the all-weather racetracks. Who made the list -- and just as important, who didn't?!?

08 Oct 2008 3:58 PM